• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

The last movie I saw before the theaters shut down was Ford v Ferrari a couple days ago at the discount theater.

I knew going in that it wasn't entirely historically accurate, but the film did a good job of telling the actual story while balancing the necessary truth-stretching that makes a good movie. The biggest hurdle for me - as somewhat of a "car guy" from the Detroit area - was Matt Damon as Carroll Shelby. He did pretty good. I never forgot I was watching Matt Damon on screen...he's not really a "gets lost in the character" actor...but he was good.

The racing sequences were very well done, and overall it conveyed just how momentous it was for Ford to take on Ferrari at Le Mans, and win. Repeatedly.

Solo 8/10 Even knowing the outcome before hand, this movie has built in suspense. Documentary of the first ever free climb solo attempt on El Cap.

Life 7/10 Mars life form goes crazy on ISS. A lot of lack of science, but watchable, fun, fairly well done move.

Solo 8/10 Even knowing the outcome before hand, this movie has built in suspense. Documentary of the first ever free climb solo attempt on El Cap.

Life 7/10 Mars life form goes crazy on ISS. A lot of lack of science, but watchable, fun, fairly well done move.

That’s “Free Solo”, and I highly recommend it also

Operation Finale, 6/10; Stars Ben Kingley as Adolph Eichmann in the story of the Israeli government's abduction operation to capture Eichmann and face a trial. The movie doesn't really build into a great level of suspense and plods along with not much action. From a historical point of view it's quite interesting.

What We Left Behind

A documentary about Star Trek Deep Space 9 made by the head writer. Interviews with cast and crew, fan reactions, and a CGI rendering of one of the space battle sequences. They also brought many of the writers together to work up a hypothetical first episode for what would have been the 8th season if made today.

Whether you're a casual Trek fan, or a lifelong fan, this is a fun, informative, and touching documentary. It's disappointing that they didn't get an interview with Avery Brooks (Captain Sisko) but they filled in with some archived footage from others he had done. It's also sad to watch knowing that 2 cast members (Rene Auberjonois and Aron Eisenberg) passed away after the film was completed, but overall you get the sense that so many of the people involved in making the show really loved what they were doing and cared for each other.

8/10

Contagion - 8/10

A fictionalized account of what would happen during a pandemic. It seemed to go with the assumption that the people in charge weren't idiots, so it lacked a lot of credibility. Matt Damon was fine, though, and barely needed to be rescued at all.

The Invisible man 8/10 Ignore the obvious problems of occupying space and this is a great thriller. This works because of the acting abilities of Elisibeth Moss and the way the movie is allowed to play out. Close to a horror movie feel, because the villain is a mastermind. Worth the rent.

Hidden Figures, 6/10; The story of three African American mathematicians working at NASA in the 60s. It's a bit of a feel good movie and I think it probably takes some liberties with historical accuracy but the gist of it seems fairly legit. The focus is on the start of the space race between Russia and the USA and how desperate NASA were to get one over on Russia. One of the stars, Janelle Monáe, I thought has a striking resemblance to a young Whitney Houston but my memory may be off. I liked the way the movie ended with the credits listing the three main characters and their achievements.

The Aristocrats.

A documentary about the dirtiest joke ever told. Available for streaming on Tubi. It's a look into the one joke that rarely gets told on stage, but one that comics tell to each other and have been doing so for decades. It's an understatement to say this film is "not safe for work," but since so many people are not at work, it's something you can safely watch at home. This is some of your favorite "family friendly" comics like Robin Williams and Bob Saget telling the filthiest bit ever. It is not for the faint of heart. There's bestiality and incest and lots of bodily fluids being thrown about but it's also painfully funny. That's the joke. If you want a window into what comics do backstage (and I've met a few of these people) this is the movie you should watch...carefully.

7/10

The Life of a Bee 8/10 A CBC documentary from the show "The Nature of Things". I think it can be seen on CBC Gems. Story of the 7 week life of a scout bee as told though her eyes. Great show for the kids during the virus crisis. But parents can learn a lot too.

Really? I found it dull and utterly predictable. I'm bummed that I wasted the $$ on it.
The Invisible man 8/10 Ignore the obvious problems of occupying space and this is a great thriller. This works because of the acting abilities of Elisibeth Moss and the way the movie is allowed to play out. Close to a horror movie feel, because the villain is a mastermind. Worth the rent.

Really? I found it dull and utterly predictable. I'm bummed that I wasted the $$ on it.

Yeah, got it for free...wouldn't pay for regular tv. Though the kids would enjoy it, It wasn't a murder mystery or anything...just bees.

A movie made in 2011 has attracted a new widespread audience for it's eerie prophetic nature to the current COVID-19 pandemic.

Contagion

tck2wjWRjscoYDgTPu4b38-1200-80.jpg

The death of Beth Emhoff and her son leads to the discovery of a deadly virus. While the US Centers for Disease Control struggles to curb its spread, a worldwide panic ensues.

A movie made in 2011 has attracted a new widespread audience for it's eerie prophetic nature to the current COVID-19 pandemic.

Contagion

View attachment 26813

The death of Beth Emhoff and her son leads to the discovery of a deadly virus. While the US Centers for Disease Control struggles to curb its spread, a worldwide panic ensues.

That's pretty far fetched...

It was at the time wasn't it.

What next, an alien invasion to resemble War Of The Worlds? Or The Day The Earth Stood Still? Which I thoroughly enjoyed, and rate it 8.5/10 Luckily that's not possible because of the vast distance, even our nearest neighboring star is around 5 light years away.

Knives Out 2019

Wife and I watched Knives Out based on recommendation from our son. Very much an Agatha Christie type story. Though it was somewhat hard to watch Daniel Craig act with a southern accent. I even believe that one character derisively makes a reference to "a bucket of chicken" when speaking to Benoit Blanc. And this is very similar to my having trouble watching Christie movies with Hercule Poirot and his heavy hard-to-understand accent. But, back to the movie - great twists and turns. So much to consider, this is a movie that I want to watch again to catch more of what is going on in each scene. 9/10

Back
Top Bottom