• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Free HBO Max weekend. Just watched Collateral again. I love that movie. I think Jamie Fox is a very underrated actor. A Michael Mann film with his usual grit and intensity. And while I'm not a big fan of Tom Cruise, he was excellent in this.

The Invisible Man - 2020 film

After staging his own suicide, a crazed scientist uses his power to become invisible to stalk and terrorize his ex-girlfriend. When the police refuse to believe her story, she decides to take matters into her own hands and fight back.

Very creepy with lots of twists and a big one in the end. 4/5

16 Years Of Alcohol, 1/10; Stars Kevin McKidd, Laura Fraser, Ewen Bremner. Written and directed by Skids front man Richard Jobson the movie is loosely based on Jobson's own life experiences. The movie starts off badly and gets worse. I bailed about halfway through. It covers three phases of Frankie's life. His early years of living with his philandering, alcohol abusing father and into his teen years (played by the thirty something McKidd!) where he and his three friends become violent menaces. This movie was billed as a meeting of "A Clockwork Orange" and "Trainspotting". Well there were certainly some elements of both in this movie but bloody hell, the Clockwork Orange plagiarizing was obvious and dreadful. Jobson ought to be ashamed and embarrassed by this corny and cringe worthy attempt at "paying homage" to the Kubrick movie. I stuck with it because I thought the soundtrack might be able to save it but it was a lost cause. Another scene which was obviously and shamelessly lifted from Trainspotting had me reaching for the off switch and I was done.

Sneakers - Older heist movie (one of my favorite genres) starring Robert Redford, Sidney Poitier, Dan Aykroyd, etc. Redford is the head of a security consulting firm that tests security systems by robbing the organization that hires them. They are approached by "NSA agents" and bribed into stealing a new technology, basically a universal encryption cracker. Then they find out they weren't actually working for the NSA but organized crime and they have to steal the device back to avoid going to jail for a long, long time. The repartee between the cast is witty and entertaining. The thrills are mild and not over the top. 3.5/5

I also rewatched this recently. I concur with you about the mildness... it was a different time I guess. But I remember it because my high school math teacher used it as an example of what'd happen if someone found a way to factorize large primes in polynomial time. P = NP. It's actually a pretty interesting premise, for a mainstream comedy heist movie.

Hunter Hunter Netflix 4/10 Trapper and his family have wolf trouble...and then there's a multiple murder and for some reason the trapper sets a trap for the killer, instead of going to the police. But the worst is at the very start when he refers to a 30 30 leaver action Winchester rifle as a .22. Even though it is the same rifle that he is carrying, and it is stamped on the damned barrel of the gun. This might seem small, but he is a trapper, it is the most important tool he owns...he has to know better. But the writers, director, actors, producers and even the water boy didn't bother to say anything, anyway not worth the price of admission...which was free.

Bad Boy Bubby, 1/10; An Australian movie released in 1993/94. This movie was mentioned in another thread (@excreationist) so I thought I'd check it out. It was dreadful. Very arty and very, very slow. It took me two sittings to get through it. It's a weird story about a thirtysomething man being held in the basement of his mother's house. She controls his every move, she has convinced him that if he goes outside he will die of poison. She always enters the room wearing a gas mask. She has sex with him at times too. The guy's father shows up and also torments Bubby. It really was a chore to watch this.

Rambo Last Blood

Standard revenge movie with added bits of gore. 2/5

At least there won't be more.

Before Midnight with Ethan Hawke and Julie Delphy. It has one of the best scenes of a conversation (friends at a dinner table) that I've ever seen. Interesting, profound without trying to be. Made me wish I were there.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) — It's been well over fifty years since I last watched this, and I had fond memories of this very famous film. My sister went to see it eleven times! Lines like "Who are these guys?" have become iconic.
But I found the re-watching of this old film exceedingly tedious and boring.

Many old movies seem slow-moving and very boring to me these days. I don't think this is due to animation, graphics, high-tech chases, etc.: My favorite movies don't rely on such. Perhaps people were more patient in the pre-Internet age and liked slow-paced movies.
I was expecting big things with that film... and what I got was nothing like I expected. And I don't have any bias against older films. This movie wasn't what I was expecting. Paul Newman riding a bicycle with lovey dovey music playing. WTF?!! I was extraordinarily let down by that film.

Enemy, 7/10; Stars Jake Gyllenhaal in a psychological thriller directed by Denis Villenueve (Dune) where a mundane college history professor spots an actor in a movie that looks remarkably like himself. He searches out other work the actor has done and tracks the actor down and arranges a meeting. The premise is excellent and the acting and cinematography is top notch but the execution left me dissatisfied. The build up is slow but the tension really starts to bubble as the two lead actors face off. And just when the movie has pulled you in, it abruptly ends in about two minutes with a really weird and unsatisfactory anticlimax ending.

Life

A science fiction/horror flick about astronauts aboard the international Space Station who discover an extraterrestrial microbe they foolishly encourage to grow with the expected bad result. Well made and excellent SFX but you can see the horrible ending from a mile away. 6/10

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) — It's been well over fifty years since I last watched this, and I had fond memories of this very famous film. My sister went to see it eleven times! Lines like "Who are these guys?" have become iconic.
But I found the re-watching of this old film exceedingly tedious and boring.

Many old movies seem slow-moving and very boring to me these days. I don't think this is due to animation, graphics, high-tech chases, etc.: My favorite movies don't rely on such. Perhaps people were more patient in the pre-Internet age and liked slow-paced movies.
I was expecting big things with that film... and what I got was nothing like I expected. And I don't have any bias against older films. This movie wasn't what I was expecting. Paul Newman riding a bicycle with lovey dovey music playing. WTF?!! I was extraordinarily let down by that film.
I wasn’t really a big fan of it when it came out. I thought it was an okay movie.
I think the inclusion of the song ‘Raindrops keep falling on head’ ended up being a smart move. It eventually became a big hit song and helped with the film’s popularity, the first couple years it was out.

Oklahoma:

I saw an unfamiliar version on Prime. I dipped in. It's not like the old version, filmed outdoors like a regular movie. This is a filmed stage play, in front of a theater audience.

I didn't expect to like it. I expected it to be badly dated, flat and uninteresting. But the players, including a young Hugh Jackman, really carried the opening scene, and now I'm into it.

Dune
8/10

An epic fantasy movie loosely based on 2019 South Park episode "Turd Burglars". It's visually stunning, but a story of a messianic main character who is prophesied to overthrow the emperor is not for me, maybe because I've seen it too many times in a thousand other movies. And sword fights in futuristic setting are just anachronistic. Just use guns, people.

Dune
8/10

An epic fantasy movie loosely based on 2019 South Park episode "Turd Burglars". It's visually stunning, but a story of a messianic main character who is prophesied to overthrow the emperor is not for me, maybe because I've seen it too many times in a thousand other movies. And sword fights in futuristic setting are just anachronistic. Just use guns, people.
Dude, you got me. I was so close to go into full toxic nerd boy mode. I'm a bit confused as to why they made the cut where they did however, especially considering a sequel has not been green lit yet.

Free HBO Max weekend. Just watched Collateral again. I love that movie. I think Jamie Fox is a very underrated actor. A Michael Mann film with his usual grit and intensity. And while I'm not a big fan of Tom Cruise, he was excellent in this.
I saw it yesterday for the third time. Great movie! All good, but Jamie Fox takes it.

Dune 1/10

JJ liked it a tad more than I, who regretted every second of watching it. New to the story if it matters. I likewise have had my fill of "the chosen one" plots, just one of many repugnant tropes used throughout, and I've come to dislike that director, find his films too dark visually, and suffocatingly portentous. Thought Chalamet was a bad fit for that role, and was nauseated by the character's repetitive Frodo-ian angsty visions. And then that fucking non-ending was the worst cherry on top ever in ultimate loathsomeness.

tldr, would not recommend. :)

I saw it yesterday for the third time. Great movie! All good, but Jamie Fox takes it.
I like how in the end Victor
dies sitting on a train
as he had described earlier in the movie.

I like how in the end "Vincent"
dies sitting on a train
as he had described earlier in the movie.
The scene on the train is so different than the "Risky Business" scene, between Cruise and Rebecca De Mornay...

Back
Top Bottom