• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

White women voting for Trump increased in 2020. WHAT the heck?!!

In another thread, I wanted to see if the % of white women voting for Trump increased or decreased in 2020. I was stunned to see that it increased to 55% in 2020 vs 47% in 2016. That's just such a shocking number that I thought it deserved it's own thread:

https://truthout.org/articles/yes-55-percent-of-white-women-voted-for-trump-no-im-not-surprised/

I really think that the left needs to find the why behind this trend or the Trumpsters are going to win again in 2024, and that might be our last free election. What's going on here? I'm wondering if the left has gone to far regarding feminism? Maybe it's a safety issue? I'm sure that religion plays a large part. I've tried to find some articles on this, but couldn't find any with compelling reasons.

I think it's arrogance that's the problem. Previously the left have fought for obvious injustices. Over time our targets have become more and more subtle. Some point the left started making up problems to fix. The problem with contemporary feminism is that it's a muddled mess regarding what women are. Are they different than men psychologically or not? Depending on what you chose it requires different mutually exclusive solutions. The left can't make up their minds so they demand everything at once which doesn't compute. Nobody likes to be told what they want. This used to be exclusive for conservatives. Now it's also the left.

The left completely dominated the 20th century. I think this has made us arrogant and intellectually lazy.

I think part of the answer is very clear. Margin of error and well not all white women voted more for Trump. The 2020 election was very unique and exit polling can not be expected to be as good at the demographics. The margin of error could possibly too high for this comparison.

Secondly, white women, at least in the Exit Polls didn't all vote more for Trump. Take Colorado. In 2020, white women voted nearly 2 to 1 for Biden. In 2016, white women voted 50 to 44 for Clinton!

Numbers for Florida are similar. Ohio shows a 39 to 56 in 2016 went 44 to 56 in 2020.

So 'battleground states' aren't showing that women voted in higher numbers for Trump. In general, we saw Trump's numbers contract or evaporate in Battlegrounds. So this leaves us with little option but to go down south to the Covid-19 States.

South Carolina saw White Women increase for Trump 30/64 to 28/71.
Georgia was 26/70 in 2016, which is a pretty large difference. Went down to 32/67 in 2016, but still pretty big.

Interestingly, when you head up north to stalwart blue states, New York allegedly sees this increase. 52/44 to 47/51. These numbers are hard to swallow because white men went from 36/59 to 53/45. White women flopped 5 pts, white men flopped 14+ pts?

The final state we look at is Pennsylvania. 47/50 to 47/52. White men? 32/64 to 37/62..

And our final final state is a PA of the west, Oregon. 55/38 to 62/36, which tells us that white women voted more for Biden.

As I have pointed out in several other threads to vacuums of silence, the polling in 2020 was all over the place, with some states having whacky polls being right (CO, VA) to some polls have nail-biters being wrong (OH, IA) to some nail biters being right (FL, NC). The conclusion seems to be (neglecting the premise that there was voter fraud in Trump's favor) that the assumptions for turnout were off and unknowns all went Trump. The Exit Polls? They say in a few states white women voted more for Trump, but most of the others had more white women voting for Biden, respective to 2016. It seems reasonable to conclude that the Evangelicals doubled-down on the anti-christ in the South. Most other states don't provide evidence this happened. Without many states in the south being Exit Polled, we are left with a national poll potentially digging too deeply, in my opinion, into the demographics.
In another thread, I wanted to see if the % of white women voting for Trump increased or decreased in 2020. I was stunned to see that it increased to 55% in 2020 vs 47% in 2016. That's just such a shocking number that I thought it deserved it's own thread:

https://truthout.org/articles/yes-55-percent-of-white-women-voted-for-trump-no-im-not-surprised/

I really think that the left needs to find the why behind this trend or the Trumpsters are going to win again in 2024, and that might be our last free election. What's going on here? I'm wondering if the left has gone to far regarding feminism? Maybe it's a safety issue? I'm sure that religion plays a large part. I've tried to find some articles on this, but couldn't find any with compelling reasons.

I think it's arrogance that's the problem. Previously the left have fought for obvious injustices. Over time our targets have become more and more subtle. Some point the left started making up problems to fix. The problem with contemporary feminism is that it's a muddled mess regarding what women are. Are they different than men psychologically or not? Depending on what you chose it requires different mutually exclusive solutions. The left can't make up their minds so they demand everything at once which doesn't compute. Nobody likes to be told what they want. This used to be exclusive for conservatives. Now it's also the left.

The left completely dominated the 20th century. I think this has made us arrogant and intellectually lazy.
Hobby horses are fun, but this doesn't try to address the question, "Why did White Women vote for Trump in higher numbers in 2020 than 2016?" That is a nuanced question and you, as you typically do, used your sledge to address it. Because the trouble with your answer is that white men allegedly voted more for the Democrat candidate in 2020 than 2016.

Ron Johnson of Wisconsin admitted to a reporter that Trumpo lost Wisconsin fair and square. State wide, the turn out for Republicans was good, but 51,000 Republican voters left Trump off their ballots. Trumpo lost by a total of 20,000 votes. It was those never Trumper GOP voters who elected Biden.

Trump is now back at huffing and puffing he intends to run in 2024. The never Trump GOP voters in swing states are going to play a role in the 2024 election most likely.

In 2016 Trump was running against a white woman (a positive for white women to support her) and was regularly making sexist remarks (a negative for women in general to support him). In 2016 he was running against an old white male, and the sexist remarks were less evident.

In 2016 Trump was running against a white woman (a positive for white women to support her) and was regularly making sexist remarks (a negative for women in general to support him). In 2016 he was running against an old white male, and the sexist remarks were less evident.

For a to of white women, Hillary is seen as an aspirational figure. It's not about policy or anything like that. And in general, I think Democrats tend to vote for people so they can live vicariously through their career. Republicans vote similarly when they vote for certain people just to "own the libs".

It certainly does seem surprising that white women — or anyone, really — voted for Trump. Our democracy is so fragile it may be good to study the numbers.

One of the most noticeable changes from 2012 to 2016 is the shift in correlation to education. In 2012 the overall D-R split was almost exactly the same among non-college voters as among college voters. This changed hugely in 2016 where the D's became the party of the educated, and the Rs the party of the uneducated. (Trump even said he loved the uneducated people!)
Vox.com said:
In 2012, college graduates (50/48 Obama/Romney) and non-graduates (51/47 Obama/Romney) voted similarly, with the Republican tilt of whites without degrees (typically shorthanded as “white working class”) offset by the fact that the noncollege population is disproportionately black and Latino.

By 2016 that had changed. Clinton carried college graduates 52 to 42 while losing non-graduates 44 to 51.
Polls, especially exit polls, are notoriously unreliable. (For example, in exit polls many uneducated voters answer Yes to "Are you a college grad?") Pew Research is probably the best source for vote numbers. Pew Research has numbers quite different from (and even more lop-sided than) Vox's numbers. Pew shows Clinton winning college grads by a whopping 57 to 36, with this "education gap" increasing in 2020: Biden won this group 61 to 37

The page I used for the numbers in post #16 starts with a description of how they developed their stats; they determined whether pollees actually voted by inspecting actual voter records.

Yes, white women really voted for Trump over Hillary, 47% to 45%. These number sum to just 92%. One reason for the less-than-100 total is that Trump and Clinton were the two most hated candidates in memory. Jill Stein (Green) got three times the vote in 2016 as she got in 2012. Johnson's (Libertarian) vote more than tripled. Almost eight million voters in 2016 voted for a 3rd party. (Trump received a smaller share of the vote than Romney, but won because so many (D) voters picked a 3rd-party candidate.)

Quartz said:
Trump’s sexist rhetoric has been well-documented throughout the election; he dismissed a female moderator by suggested she must have had “blood coming out of her wherever,” called for women who have abortions to be punished (then backtracked), bragged about grabbing women “by the pussy”, and was dogged by allegations of sexual assault throughout the campaign. Yet, despite all of this, 45% of college-educated white women voted for Trump.

Two groups of white women who preferred Trump over Hillary are
(a) those without college degrees voted Trump over Clinton by a whopping 61-34 margin. (White male non-graduates voted Trump 71-23.) Look at those numbers! I find this sad and frightening.
(b) married women. But this is not a new trend; married people tend to vote (R). (Married couples often fill in their mail-in ballots together. I wonder how many wives feel pressured.)

Jordan Klepper of the Daily Show interviews Trump supporters to get an idea of their thinking. Some women say "President is a man's job." It's a long video, but definitely wait around (or fast-forward) until the 8:42 mark where one male Trumpist tells us America treats women with respect. Amazing irony.

This changed hugely in 2016 where the D's became the party of the educated, and the Rs the party of the uneducated. (Trump even said he loved the uneducated people!)

He said he loves the “poorly” educated. So they are educated, just not well.

Back
Top Bottom