• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Who did it better?

McCartney vs Guns n Roses;

This song bypassed me at the time but having heard it regularly on the radio for years it has really grown on me, particularly the live versions.

I really like both but Macca for the win.

If Neil Young had never been, and any one of us got up to a karaoke machine and sang with that voice it would bring down the house, with laughter. We'd probably be likened to Tiny Tim. Yes, that Tiny Tim. But Neil Young with that reedy voice crooning about a past love or lost bandmate and his average guitar playing makes it work. It is imperfectly perfect. Some songs, songs that hold deep meaning for the songwriter cannot be covered in my opinion, they come across as soulless. So many of Neil Young's songs work because people sing along with them, identify with the lyrics, and reminisce about the past. This has made so many of Neil Young's songs timeless.

Three great versions of the song Torn

Lis Sørensen, Danish.

Ednaswap.

Natalie Imbruglia

Natalie Imbruglia wins for me but only just. Second place is a tie.

Echo & The Bunnymen take on The Doors' People Are Strange

Aside from the keyboard arrangement, the Echo & The Bunnymen version is too similar to the original but both are great.

"Should I not have the right to eliminate millions of an inferior race that multiplies like vermin?" -Adolph und Die Kopfklopfer (Decca 1938)

"We will root out the Communists, Marxists, Fascists, and Radical Left Thugs that live like vermin within the confines of our country."
-Donnie T. and the Sharpies (Death Row Records 2023)

The (English) Beat put their mark on their cover with an upbeat ska tempo which made it interesting and different from the original but I don't think you can best Smokey Robinson and the Miracles.

An old time classic by the Supremes that was covered by Phil Collins and is similar to the original but quite frankly, the Phil Collins version I find to be an abomination.

First recorded by Gloria Jones

1964 release

1976 release

Soft Cell

Soft Cell extended

Soft Cell took a great song and made it an 80s classic. The extended version did well in the clubs.

I never knew there was a cover of Holding Back The Years. Maybe it's nostalgia but you can't beat the Simply Red version.

A classic 80s hit for the Pet Shop Boys

Sleaford Mods

Unequivocally The Pet Shop Boys wins this one but wow, Sleaford Mods, I don't know what to make of it.

Sleaford Mods are an interesting pair and for some reason I enjoy watching them. I'd love to see them live and meet them.

Back
Top Bottom