• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Who do you hear when you read?

Selflessly I did the research for you and discovered that 80% of us hear "the voice". If not, we may be dyslexic or insane (according to scientific studies).

Let me know what you hear when you think, pray, write or read. I'm interested in the reading part right now, but please share anything relative. Your opinions are important and you matter. Don't sell yourself short and miss out.

To give you examples I'll share my favorite internal monologue voices. Most of them are famous. Some are singers from songs I'd recently heard. Some are family members or past and present lovers. I'll only provide examples you're likely to know of, but you're welcome to include uncle Clyde or anyone else in your responses.

1. When something is poetic I tend to hear a kind, female voice. Sometimes with an echo, and cockney as hell. Like a pauper describing the shiny coin a nice man gave her. Poetry is a hard one to describe. Sometimes I just hear my own voice. What about you?

2. Remember Windows XP narrator? Imagine that.. sped up 3/4... with the pitch all the way down. That is my fast reading voice. From what I've read of people on Yahoo and Reddit, that is pretty common. A male, monotone voice. It always has a very thick echo for me. Maybe even reverb, which is a whole other realm of awesomeness. Reading fast makes you forget the voice, so in most fast reading cases you could say the voice isn't there at all. Agree? No?

3. When reading fantasy I sometimes hear a little British girl. Kinda like the holographic girl in that one movie - Resident evil. Some portions of a story shift from stiff British to other accents. I guess it depends on the characters and situations. What about your fantasy voice?

4. When I read something that disgusts me I usually hear Samuel L. Jackson. Tarantino's tasty hamburger scene. Kind of an accusing, pissed off tone. He is my rage reading voice, too. Just listen to him yell "God damn" in his special way and you'll get he idea. Can you hear him?

5. Ted Levine narrates all things creepy. Even thoughts about people who creep me out sound like Ted. His voice is a major player. I've asked a few people and they laughed but didn't understand. Not actually trying to be funny. This interests me because it is real. Does this interest you?

Thanks!

To me, my voice sounds horrible. I hate leaving phone messages. But for some reason I absolutely love reading, Even out loud. I read to my children anytime they'd let me. I didn't worry about being judged. Fwiw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h-qmUD5Swg[/YOUTUBE]

Sesame Street was unknowingly forming inner-voices for counting. More so than teaching how to read numbers probably. 1970 stuff is filthy. I don't like it.

I'll be honest: most of the time I pay no attention to the voice, but I did notice something curious somewhat recently.

I was reading a digital comic book, when this dialog struck me:

Tony Stark: He's screwing with you, T'Challa. I mean, I have ego, but at least my brilliance exceeds my ego.
T'Challa: I'm happy you think so.
Tony Stark: I heard that.
T'Challa: Yes, because I said it.

What struck me is that I already hear the voice of Chadwick Boseman, even though he was only in that Captain America movie for a short time. Previously, I heard the cartoon voice actor in my head. The MCU actors in general have come to define how I "hear" the voices of those characters.

I'll be honest: most of the time I pay no attention to the voice, but I did notice something curious somewhat recently.

I was reading a digital comic book, when this dialog struck me:

Tony Stark: He's screwing with you, T'Challa. I mean, I have ego, but at least my brilliance exceeds my ego.
T'Challa: I'm happy you think so.
Tony Stark: I heard that.
T'Challa: Yes, because I said it.

What struck me is that I already hear the voice of Chadwick Boseman, even though he was only in that Captain America movie for a short time. Previously, I heard the cartoon voice actor in my head. The MCU actors in general have come to define how I "hear" the voices of those characters.

Oh man. I bet the Marvel universe has grated so many minds. Chris Pratt's star lord voice has changed Parks and Recreation for me. Not the same kind association you're talking about but yeah I think that it neat. Watching a film with real people in it may have more impact than cartoons or graphic novels. Is this because movies are more believable? The scenes in movies with human actresses and actors look like real life. In a graphic novel the scenes look like drawings. The tiny people inside (or outside) brains are probably battling it out, and the real-life looking visual portrayals win because hidden syllogism differentiates to put voices to use.

I cant summon Chadwick Boseman to read for me but Chris Pratt is doing a fine job, just because I wrote his name. Summoning voices probably isn't even a thing. I guess the word for it would be autonomous. Maybe the voice sounds however it feels like sounding, and things pair up according to how real the brain's brains think things are.

He's screwing with you

Acquaintance says his 24/7 inner voice is an electrified and icy kind of whisper. The way it was described sounded pretty demonic. Writing it off as screwing with me. For one, that would be an agonizing way to live, and he would certainly be driven insane by such a voice. Plus that is way too awesome to be true. I tried to reproduce what he described. I read the Bible for the test. It may be decent for the locusts of the abyss or some lake of fire stuff but nah it isn't possible. I hear Deepak Chopra a lot in the Bible. Cinema has locked in Willam Dafoe as Jesus. When I was younger, God's voice sounded like my Dad's (with an echo). Internal Dad voices probably help people distinguish right from wrong. Yeah, they're essential in childhood at least, right?

Back
Top Bottom