• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why are we here?

I see a possible answer to the fundamental question that is both religious and scientific

Is it one of the two possible answers you provided earlier, which you insisted were the only two possibilities? If not, why did you present a false dichotomy, knowing that there is at least one other possibility? If so, why are you reluctant to reveal which one you prefer at this point?

As another person pointed out, "why are we here" is an ambiguous question. It could mean "what caused us to be here" or "for what purpose are we here".

We know a lot about what caused us to be here, and can extrapolate back pretty far.

It is clear, at least to me, that we are not here for any purpose. If we were the whim of a One Above All, then I would guess his intentions were to create beings and watch them suffer.

David123, I did some soul searching (on Youtube), and I think this guy has the answer to your question:

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPnk8oiAe5A[/YOUTUBE]

I see a possible answer to the fundamental question that is both religious and scientific

Is it one of the two possible answers you provided earlier, which you insisted were the only two possibilities? If not, why did you present a false dichotomy, knowing that there is at least one other possibility? If so, why are you reluctant to reveal which one you prefer at this point?

The previous answers were to "where have we come from?" - one interpretation of the question. The other is "where are we going?"

The previous answers were to "where have we come from?" - one interpretation of the question. The other is "where are we going?"

I predict that we are going to be completely underwhelmed by your gradual and tedious revelation of supposed special knowledge.

Let's examine your quote in the surrounding context then:

Whether you believe that some "random noise" caused something to be created from nothing (I believe Stephen Hawking has the math on this) or that there was some "divine" influence (ie. God or gods), this fundamental question begs for an answer as not only does it talk about where we came from, but also where we might be going. I see a possible answer to the fundamental question that is both religious and scientific, but I'm not going to reveal it yet (that sounds like I'm making myself out to be special, but its not my intent). I'd rather see if others have a useful answer to the fundamental question that maybe I didn't think of or if others come to the same conclusion I have.

In that post you are actually stating that they are the same question, so the two possible answers you supplied would apply to both interpretations. You seem to be winging it at this point, but maybe you can put the problem to rest by revealing your super secret answer to the two questions that are one, but somehow have different sets of answers.

Asking why are we here is begging the question because it assumes purpose
There is none however. But the reason that we do exist is because of random
events pertaining to biology and chemistry and physics that stretch right back
to the origins of the Universe. But there is no why and so it requires no answer

Whether you believe that some "random noise" caused something to be created from nothing (I believe Stephen Hawking has the math on this) or that there was some "divine" influence (ie. God or gods), this fundamental question begs for an answer as not only does it talk about where we came from, but also where we might be going. I see a possible answer to the fundamental question that is both religious and scientific, but I'm not going to reveal it yet (that sounds like I'm making myself out to be special, but its not my intent). I'd rather see if others have a useful answer to the fundamental question that maybe I didn't think of or if others come to the same conclusion I have.

In that post you are actually stating that they are the same question, so the two possible answers you supplied would apply to both interpretations. You seem to be winging it at this point, but maybe you can put the problem to rest by revealing your super secret answer to the two questions that are one, but somehow have different sets of answers.

Okay, you caught me. The answer that I'm heading towards for "why are we here?" is "to create God". Not so special as that's a fairly obvious answer, but it fits quite well. In the case of "random noise" (ie. something from nothing and evolution takes over), this would be the natural end of evolution. In the case of an all-powerful, all-seeing God, this would be the answer to how God came to be (he created himself *OR* he's creating a companion). It provides a much more satisfying answer than "divine plan". This may take a *VERY* long time to happen, but it might happen faster than we expect (Kurzweil's Law of Accelerating Returns). And, of course, there's no reason to believe that we will evolve directly into God. More like the amoeba into human -- there's very little relationship between the two.

The answer that I'm heading towards for "why are we here?" is "to create God". Not so special as that's a fairly obvious answer, but it fits quite well.
But that's just begging the question. If our purpose is to create God, then who sponsors that purpose?
In the case of "random noise" (ie. something from nothing and evolution takes over), this would be the natural end of evolution.
Um...if evolution has a 'natural end,' then that's not random noise. It's something with a goal.

Okay, you caught me. The answer that I'm heading towards for "why are we here?" is "to create God". Not so special as that's a fairly obvious answer, but it fits quite well. In the case of "random noise" (ie. something from nothing and evolution takes over), this would be the natural end of evolution. In the case of an all-powerful, all-seeing God, this would be the answer to how God came to be (he created himself *OR* he's creating a companion). It provides a much more satisfying answer than "divine plan". This may take a *VERY* long time to happen, but it might happen faster than we expect (Kurzweil's Law of Accelerating Returns). And, of course, there's no reason to believe that we will evolve directly into God. More like the amoeba into human -- there's very little relationship between the two.

Wow. Is it stupid ideas week here or something?

Really, some arguments are so mind-bogglingly dumb that there is no point in pointing out the flaws; the idea that our reason for existence is to create God is one such idea.

It is pretty much ALL flaws, so there is nothing specific to point out. If you can't immediately see that it is unbelievably stupid, then arguing against it is futile.

The idea that our purpose is to create God is fractally wrong; at every point, and at every scale, it is fatally flawed.

It is an idea with no merit whatsoever; a stupid, pointless, and moronic attempt to find an answer where none exists. It is the antithesis of a good idea, and may even be reasonably described as the antithesis of an idea.

It has zero merit, it is a bad, bad, bad idea.

As ideas go, this is one of the worst in history. I am astounded to have seen such a large number of truly awful ideas as have been presented on this board in the last few days, and this is the icing on the cake.

In short, it is a dumb idea.

In the interests of protecting the environment, parts of this post have been recycled from an earlier response to an equally dumb idea.

Okay, you caught me. The answer that I'm heading towards for "why are we here?" is "to create God".

Can we make it a voluptuous female God with really nice boobs and a great ass? And while we're at it, let's also make a stud male God with a really big penis for all the ladies out there!

(I was right on, BTW - as I said "I predict that we are going to be completely underwhelmed by your gradual and tedious revelation of supposed special knowledge." This latest pile of dung, or something that smells suspiciously like it, has been dumped on us before at this site, IIRC).

Why are we are here? It's because our species is good at existing in the prevailing conditions. And we are quite adaptable too, which helps, and even more, we increasingly able to adapt the environment to suit ourselves.

Let's ask another question - why were the dinosaurs or vendian biota here, then vanished? They were able to thrive in the existing conditions, and then suddenly it all changed, a bit like certain businesses and industries go "pop" when a recession hits.

Back
Top Bottom