• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why are we here?

Anyone have a specific answer to this question beyond "divine plan"?

We are here to gather sufficient self knowledge to be able to answer 'Why are we here'.
Once the question is answered to one's own satisfaction, one is here. :)

There might be a cause, but there is no reasoned answer to 'why', which is what most people are looking for when they ask this question.

Once you realize there is no point, you're free.

We're here because our parents needed company.

As far as I can tell, we're here because we are.

Other than that, no idea. Is it impossible that nothing and no one intended life to have developed the way it has? That's a concept that is confusing for a brain that evolved to seek and understand intentions, but also evolved with the capacity challenge its own perceptions. If there's an answer to this question, I don't see how it can be answered if we aren't willing to question our assumption that because we humans survive and thrive in a cognitive framework consisting of intelligent intentions, that the whole of life and the universe must be squeezed into that box.

In the immortal words of Buckaroo Banzai:

Because, no matter where you go, there you are.

"A coin is examined, and only after careful deliberation, given to a beggar, whereas a child is flung out into the cosmic brutality without hesitation." -Peter Wessel Zapffe

None of us were given a choice in the matter, but once here, we found it nice enough to make us want to stick around for a while.

None of us were given a choice in the matter, but once here, we found it nice enough to make us want to stick around for a while.

We don't stick around because it's nice. We stick around because our survival instincts compel us to.

We don't stick around because it's nice. We stick around because our survival instincts compel us to.

I don't know about you, but I'm having a great time. I'm in no hurry to move on.

I don't know about you, but I'm having a great time. I'm in no hurry to move on.

Even if you weren't having a great time, you would probably not end your existence, hence the fact that you're having a great time is probably not the reason you are sticking around.

Back
Top Bottom