• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why Atheists Get the Idea of "Faith" Wrong

Of course it is possible to discuss the properties of the soul with those who are essentially unsouled. However, the unsouled are inherently hostile to the concept itself, unlike the blind who are receptive to the reality of colour.

It is possible to discuss the properties of Santa Claus and Gandalf.

The unsouled are relentless in their desire to eradicate the soul in others. They want everyone to be as spiritually blind as they are.

The unsouled are relentless in their desire to eradicate the soul in others. They want everyone to be as spiritually blind as they are.

Do you realize how disgusting this sounds?
The "unsouled"?
Seriously?
Tom

The claim that some have developed souls and some do not is, I am sure, offensive to many of the latter. However, it is not much different than saying that some are blind and some can see. It is time to separate these two races and put an end to all miscegenation between them.

Of course it is possible to discuss the properties of the soul with those who are essentially unsouled. However, the unsouled are inherently hostile to the concept itself, unlike the blind who are receptive to the reality of colour.
If by “inherently hostile” you mean asking for evidence that can withstand unbiased scrutiny then I see what you mean.

If by “inherently hostile” you mean asking for evidence that can withstand unbiased scrutiny then I see what you mean.
"Show me!" demands the blind man.

"I can see your soul!" says the guy with his face buried in a pillow

Tom

That’s a cop-out answer after I already stated that one might describe color to a blind person in a way that can show its existence verifiably through non-vision means.

If you admit that that’s not possible with your “soul” I’ll be happy to concede the argument.

@No Robots
Could you be more clear about what you mean by "soul"?

So far, it sounds like a political distinction. People who agree with you and your New World Order have souls, the rest of us don't.

You seem to equate souls with personhood. Some people have souls and some people don't. Those who don't are dispensable.

I believe that all living things have souls. Soul equates to life. It's the difference between a living thing and an inanimate object. It's the difference between a living being and their corpse.

But that is a Faith based belief. I've got no objective evidence, it's just what I prefer to believe. I don't much care if you do or not. What I do care about is your apparent dismissal of the souls of other beings, particularly humans.
Tom

The claim that some have developed souls and some do not is, I am sure, offensive to many of the latter. However, it is not much different than saying that some are blind and some can see. It is time to separate these two races and put an end to all miscegenation between them.

When you say that some develop souls, from where or what does this 'soul substance' form?

The soul to me refers to human psychology and mental health. A generalized concept before modern scence and psychology.

Whter yiur soul or essence or whatever it is called in different traditions exists post mortem is the old mind body duality qustion.

In the 70s I puzzled over Tibetan Buddhist scripture until it seemed they were talking about mental states and the paranormal was a framework.

In that context sin is what takes you out of a mnentally and phsycally natural feel good sate. You loose 'your self'.

Alcoholism, drug addiction or sexaholic can driven toa self destructive extremes. IOW tormenting in a hell.

Since the 70s an endless stream of self deructive people in music and Hollywood.

In a biblcal context sin is what is ving the decline in mental and physical health. Unrestricted self indulgence.

Soul is the spark of the divine that exists in all things. In mankind, it has the capacity to develop from vegetative to animal to rational to intellectual.

So far, it sounds like a political distinction. People who agree with you and your New World Order have souls, the rest of us don't.

Those with developed souls have been called by many names: prophets, geniuses, mystics, artists, philosophers. The New World Order is an attempt to aggregate these individuals into a cohesive social group.

You seem to equate souls with personhood. Some people have souls and some people don't. Those who don't are dispensable.

Not dispensable, just not welcome in the New World Order. They are welcome to lead their own lives as they see fit. And, who knows when the soul, hitherto dormant, might awaken?

I believe that all living things have souls. Soul equates to life. It's the difference between a living thing and an inanimate object. It's the difference between a living being and their corpse.

You are not far from the Kingdom.

But that is a Faith based belief. I've got no objective evidence, it's just what I prefer to believe. I don't much care if you do or not. What I do care about is your apparent dismissal of the souls of other beings, particularly humans.
Tom

It is the destiny of all men and women to attain to fully developed life of the soul. It may take millennia, thousands of reincarnations, but the Kingdom will come. But we cannot allow those who have not attained the developed soul from impeding those who have from creating the community of the New World Order.

In a biblcal context sin is what is ving the decline in mental and physical health. Unrestricted self indulgence.

Soul is the spark of the divine that exists in all things. In mankind, it has the capacity to develop from vegetative to animal to rational to intellectual.

Those with developed souls have been called by many names: prophets, geniuses, mystics, artists, philosophers. The New World Order is an attempt to aggregate these individuals into a cohesive social group.

Not dispensable, just not welcome in the New World Order. They are welcome to lead their own lives as they see fit. And, who knows when the soul, hitherto dormant, might awaken?

Tom

It is the destiny of all men and women to attain to fully developed life of the soul. It may take millennia, thousands of reincarnations, but the Kingdom will come. But we cannot allow those who have not attained the developed soul from impeding those who have from creating the community of the New World Order.

Your "Kingdom" sounds worse every time you describe it.
Frankly, you sound like a Nazi.
Tom

I'm reading an extremely good book right now. It is called Breakout from Stalingrad. It is a novel written by a German soldier while he was a prisoner of the Russians. As he was being released, the Russians confiscated his manuscript. Back in German, he underwent hypnotherapy to help him recover his book, and he did publish a version in the '50s. Then, ten years ago, a German scholar found the manuscript in Russia. It is a magnificent book, providing extraordinary insight into the thoughts and attitudes of the German soldiers. I heartily recommend it. The Nazi era has become little more than a slur. There is little or no insight into the complex historical phenomenon that it represents. Breakout from Stalingrad is free from all the cant and oversimplification of the post-Nazi mindset.

I'm reading an extremely good book right now. It is called Breakout from Stalingrad. It is a novel written by a German soldier while he was a prisoner of the Russians. As he was being released, the Russians confiscated his manuscript. Back in German, he underwent hypnotherapy to help him recover his book, and he did publish a version in the '50s. Then, ten years ago, a German scholar found the manuscript in Russia. It is a magnificent book, providing extraordinary insight into the thoughts and attitudes of the German soldiers. I heartily recommend it. The Nazi era has become little more than a slur. There is little or no insight into the complex historical phenomenon that it represents. Breakout from Stalingrad is free from all the cant and oversimplification of the post-Nazi mindset.
Your Kingdom sounds worse every time you describe it.

I understand that Nazi Germans were also victims of Christian Dominionism. Doesn't make it look better as a world view.
Tom

You faggots have discovered the power of community-building for defending the way you wish to live and love. Why would you deny that power to others?

Back
Top Bottom