• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why do House Repubs Oppose Aid to Ukraine?

ideologyhunter

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism/beatnikism
I really don't get much about the Republicans anymore, but the opposition to increased aid to Ukraine is especially baffling. Is it mostly the Trump factor? Trump's muddled thinking about Russia should offer no one a road map to Ukraine policy. It's mind-blowing how the party of Reagan (and earlier, the shrill anti-Communist party) should have morphed into the spectacle that's currently on view.
However, with my aversion to watching any of the MAGAts pontificating on camera, I have missed a lot of their anti-aid rhetoric. So what is the case they make? Do they question the general observation that Ukraine was invaded, and that this is in essence a struggle for self-determination?
And is it all because of Donald?

Is it mostly the Trump factor?

is it all because of Donald?

Got it in 2.

Trump owes his freedom, his wealth and maybe even his life to Uncle Vlad. If you’re on the GQP Gravy Train, you support Uncle Vlad or get dissed by Agent Orange, which gets you kicked off the Gravy Train. If a few hundred thousand Ukranians get tortured and killed, that’s a small price for a Republican politician to pay for the massive amount of grifting that comes with their seat on the right hand side of the House.

Because it upsets the libs.

They need no other reason to pursue any policy, and any reason they offer is a posthoc justification for a foregone conclusion.
Honestly, this mostly. Although I'd throw in Trump's relationship with Putin, as Trump is still the defacto leader of the GOP.
Tom

It's mind-blowing how the party of Reagan (and earlier, the shrill anti-Communist party) should have morphed into the spectacle that's currently on view.

It's utterly amazing to me that the party of Reagan is now deep kissing Putin's ass, a former KGB agent turned autocratic tyrant.
Tom

It's mind-blowing how the party of Reagan (and earlier, the shrill anti-Communist party) should have morphed into the spectacle that's currently on view.

It's utterly amazing to me that the party of Reagan is now deep kissing Putin's ass, a former KGB agent turned autocratic tyrant.
Tom

While “owning the libs” is nice, their main motive is greed. Avarice always takes precedence over “nice”.
Greed is Trump’s hallmark, and the hallmark of The Party of Trump.

Part of it is Trump. Part of it is also because the GOP fantasizes being able to do all the authoritative shit Putin gets away with. They hate trans and gays as much as Putin does. Putin has weaponised the Russian Orthodox church the same way Republicans want to do with Christianity (Paula White, Kenneth Copeland John Bennet etc). Political opposition is suppressed in Russia. Journalists speaking out against Dear Leader face prison sentences. The wealth of the nation is consolidated among the top 1%. For some Republicans, dreaming about this stuff is the only way they get hard these days.

Republicans support Putin because they are one and the same. Therefore Putin's enemies are their enemies. It really is that simple. Are you seriously expecting nuance from these people?

The conservatives of America have long had a isolationist contingent. That has waned and waxed over years. For example, pre-Pearl Harbor there was a strong movement in America to not get drawn into war in Europe. The attack on Pearl Harbor destroyed the Isolationists. The long disasters of the U.S. in Afghanistan and Iraq, reawakened isolationism in America. The U.S. intervention in Yugoslavia caused a conservative backlas against "Nation Building". And that is again opposed by conservatives in the case of Ukraine. In the past, the USSR was Communist. But in Russia, Communism is dead and Russia is officially now a Christian nation. There are numerous complex strands here in play. Not to mention MAGA contrarianism.

Part of it is Trump. Part of it is also because the GOP fantasizes being able to do all the authoritative shit Putin gets away with. They hate trans and gays as much as Putin does. Putin has weaponised the Russian Orthodox church the same way Republicans want to do with Christianity (Paula White, Kenneth Copeland John Bennet etc). Political opposition is suppressed in Russia. Journalists speaking out against Dear Leader face prison sentences. The wealth of the nation is consolidated among the top 1%. For some Republicans, dreaming about this stuff is the only way they get hard these days.

Republicans support Putin because they are one and the same. Therefore Putin's enemies are their enemies. It really is that simple. Are you seriously expecting nuance from these people?
Nuance? Haaardly. Marjorie probably thinks nuance is a dip you serve with gestapo. No, I just want to know how they talk about Ukraine and how they minimize the implications.

I don't recall a response from @barbos concerning an angry Russian mob storming an airport to hunt down Jews.
Perhaps I just missed it?

These Russians attacked a plane load of international travelers because the flight originated in Tel Aviv.

Now that's some serious Nazi shit. There's no comparison to a speech in Ottawa.
Tom

Back
Top Bottom