• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why is there so little talk about Trump and global warming

Will Wiley

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
naturalist
Even in the lead up to the election, and more importantly since is there such an obsession and hysteria with things concerning Trump, and his personality, but not much chat about the effect he will have on the environment and the fact that his recklessness endangers the entire world ?

It is way too late anyways. We would need to have a "Childhood's End" level alien encounter to get global warming under control. Something like them doing a full on de-globalization (the fuel to send chocolate from Ghana to Seattle - and yes I eat it) and deindustrialization and soft landing for our population down to below a billion. While at the same time going on an artificial weathering process with rocks like olivine to quickly sequester the CO2.

olivine for CO2 capture:
http://arctic-news.blogspot.com/2016/07/olivine-weathering-to-capture-co2-and-counter-climate-change.html

Can't blame Trump for all this, though he is a fucknut.

CO2 from 280 ppm and now at 405 ppm. All of our coasts are doomed with no conceivable reprieve.

The 'It's too late' argument is a false dichotomy. Global Warming isn't an either/or situation, where it's either a total disaster or nothing whatsoever; it's a continuum of unpleasant results, which get worse and worse the less we do to reduce emissions, and the longer we take to implement those reductions.

Sure, it would have been far better if we had replaced coal and gas power with nuclear, solar and wind in the 1970s. But it's still better to do that in the 2020s than it is to do it in the 2040s; and better to do it in the 2040s than in the 2070s.

We might lose some coastal cities (and even entire low-lying nations) to sea level rise due to our past actions (or inactions); but that doesn't mean that there are no cities or countries that can be saved by prompt action.

The choice isn't between 'broken' or 'unbroken'. The choice is about how badly broken it gets, and what it costs (both in financial and non-financial terms).

It might be too late to prevent any harm; but it's never too late to mitigate some of the harm - until we reach the point where human extinction is inevitable (and we are not even close to that point, yet).

I believe Global Warming was not mentioned during campaign by anyone, not even Clinton. American voters and people in general don't give a fuck about climate change.

Even in the lead up to the election, and more importantly since is there such an obsession and hysteria with things concerning Trump, and his personality, but not much chat about the effect he will have on the environment and the fact that his recklessness endangers the entire world ?

??? Why do you think that so many of us voted against him? Scott Pruett will wipe out most of the EPA. Trump called global warming a Chinese conspiracy. His positions on the environment were quite well known during the campaign.

I suppose you don't argue about theology with an ISIS activist, or about human survival with a spoilt, vain, ignorant clown who constantly tells footling lies: the question is too important for low comedy.

"In the mildest projected scenario, global sea levels will rise by about one foot by the end of this century. In the worst-case scenario, global sea levels will rise by 8.2 feet.

Though eight feet may not sound like a huge number, the consequences would be devastating: researchers have estimated that a lower rise of six feet would be enough swallow up the homes of about six million Americans."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sea-level-rise-will-hit-the-us-this-century-noaa-warns/

I believe Global Warming was not mentioned during campaign by anyone, not even Clinton. American voters and people in general don't give a fuck about climate change.

What you believe is irrelevant.

http://www.businessinsider.com/clinton-trump-environment-policies-plans-climate-change-platforms-2016-9

"When it comes to climate change, the science is crystal clear," Clinton said on ScienceDebate. "That’s why as President, I will work both domestically and internationally to ensure that we build on recent progress and continue to slash greenhouse gas pollution over the coming years as the science clearly tells us we must."

You also seem to have missed the Presidential debates, this quote is from the first one:

Hillary Clinton at the first Presidential debate said:
Donald thinks that climate change is a hoax perpetrated by the Chinese. I think it's real.

The reason climate change was never made an issue is that the two contenders were both in the pockets of Big Oil, and afraid to piss off the coal miner contingent that Trump got riled up. If Sanders had been nominated, it would have been front and center. Same reason that the real reason that the cost of American health care is multiples of what it costs elsewhere is never addressed; insurance companies and drug mfrs are BIG donors.

FOLLOW
THE
MONEY

Hey look over there... a diversion!

What you believe is irrelevant.

http://www.businessinsider.com/clinton-trump-environment-policies-plans-climate-change-platforms-2016-9

"When it comes to climate change, the science is crystal clear," Clinton said on ScienceDebate. "That’s why as President, I will work both domestically and internationally to ensure that we build on recent progress and continue to slash greenhouse gas pollution over the coming years as the science clearly tells us we must."

You also seem to have missed the Presidential debates, this quote is from the first one:

Hillary Clinton at the first Presidential debate said:
Donald thinks that climate change is a hoax perpetrated by the Chinese. I think it's real.
Send my sincere apologies to Clinton.

Uh...wow Don the Con might not be good for the world...who'da thunk...
Hey look over there... a diversion!

No...no...no...far more appropriately:

Bud, LOOK! AN ALIEN!

After dissing Clinton and chatting Trump up during the campaign, all of a sudden, you've woken up?

Last edited:
There's probably not much talk about it because there's not much to say and nothing anybody can do. Trump plainly won't change his opinion about it, and we know what the outcome will likely be, so the best we can do is to wait it out and try and pick up the slack when he's gone.

The reason climate change was never made an issue is that the two contenders were both in the pockets of Big Oil, and afraid to piss off the coal miner contingent that Trump got riled up. If Sanders had been nominated, it would have been front and center. Same reason that the real reason that the cost of American health care is multiples of what it costs elsewhere is never addressed; insurance companies and drug mfrs are BIG donors.

FOLLOW
THE
MONEY

Nah, I think Clinton just did say much because she knew she would be attacked on it. Both parties care mostly about the voters in the middle.

After dissing Clinton and chatting Trump up during the campaign, all of a sudden, you've woken up?

I repeatedly said Trump was awful. I repeatedly said Bernie would have been my choice out of possible candidates. As a non American I said I preferred what Trump said about foreign policy to what we knew of Hillary Clinton. Though Americans like you who worship Hillary Clinton seem so incensed that I would dare criticise Hillary that they repeatedly make the accusation you did.
It's interesting for a non American to observe, the way you people do this. We can see it still at play, Democrats are still confused bewildered and angry, yet there has been pretty much no reflection on why Hillary actually lost. And no, it wasn't the Russians.

I'll take full of shit for $1200 Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Americans like you who worship Hillary Clinton...

Lol! Most people I know who actually voted for Clinton, did so very reluctantly and only because the specter of a sociopathic narcissist conman in the White House was (and remains) so unappealing. I personally find HRC repulsive, grating and stunningly unaware in some ways. But Anyone who thinks Clinton is in the same league as Cheato in the Corruption Olympics, is a victim of FAKE NEWS.

Americans like you who worship Hillary Clinton...

Lol! Most people I know who actually voted for Clinton, did so very reluctantly and only because the specter of a sociopathic narcissist conman in the White House was (and remains) so unappealing. I personally find HRC repulsive, grating and stunningly unaware in some ways. But Anyone who thinks Clinton is in the same league as Cheato in the Corruption Olympics, is a victim of FAKE NEWS.

Fair enough but I find laughing dog's attempt at poisoning the well a bit tiring.
Trump is looking more and more dangerous each week now, and I always said I only preferred what he said about his foreign policy to what we knew of Clinton.
If I lived in America I'd probably be as concerned as most people here are.

Fair enough but I find laughing dog's attempt at poisoning the well a bit tiring.
Trump is looking more and more dangerous each week now, and I always said I only preferred what he said about his foreign policy to what we knew of Clinton.
If I lived in America I'd probably be as concerned as most people here are.

I've never understood how electing a narcissist, disagreeable, bully who sincerely believes in conspiracies could possibly be better in foreign policy.

Back
Top Bottom