• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why the Democrats have kept losing for many years....

Why is this is quotation marks? Did she actually say this?
How dare you question the veracity of text between quotes pasted on top of a JPEG. Don't you know that such things are indisputable matters of fact?

Regardless, why do the Democrats keep losing? Well, for the White House, the Democrats have lost the Popular Vote once since 1992. The 2010 American Stroke election led to huge Republican gains that were used to enshrine a level of gerrymandering that had never been seen before, ensuring continued Republican control of the House for nearly a decade (maybe longer).

One thing is true, some liberals don't get an important fact, Representatives represent a populace. Most of these populaces (populi?) are not deep blue. Some liberals want every liberal to be very liberal, but in plenty of places, the people just either aren't there or have been completely brainwashed to support a right-wing policy despite actually being moderate. The idea we can Sanders up the House is deluded.

Pelosi got ACA through the House... barely. That fetid far from progressive program, but step in the right direction was possible because of Pelosi. Yeah, she is part of the machine, because the machine takes so much money now... thanks in large part to the death of campaign finance reform... and the generally cheap investment that is a House Representative.

Actually, she obviously didn't say that. But she did read a pamphlet to a crowd that explained the Democrats are offering a better deal. The deal offered was more of the same. More giveaways of public money to insurance companies, and no relief for people who can't find high enough paying jobs to keep a roof over their head. Millions of uninsured. Millions of former students in debt for life. She has fought every progressive bill and program that has been placed before her. She is worth $100 million dollars. Imagine that for a moment...a congress person has not had a big private business life and she has $100 million bucks in her piggy bank. Let us not be foolish here. Her record indicates that the quotes surround the unspoken truth of her attitude toward the common person. She has clearly indicated and you can take this one to the bank..."We're Capitalists here." She did say that and I believe her. With $100 million she certainly has rounded up a lot of Capital...from whom? Her capitalist buddies who are out to see to it we all get more of the same. With them losing the way they do, perhaps there are more important things to these Democratic Party Poobahs than just staying in office.

It is a public record that Pelosi is worth $100 million. She has sent me at least 200 begging letters for the Democratic party by email over the last couple of years. Sometimes it was accompanied with the notion that I had somehow failed because I had not given money to her. She is a sickly example of humanity in my book and very responsible for the fix the only alleged viable party that once served working people is now in.

How dare you question the veracity of text between quotes pasted on top of a JPEG. Don't you know that such things are indisputable matters of fact?

Regardless, why do the Democrats keep losing? Well, for the White House, the Democrats have lost the Popular Vote once since 1992. The 2010 American Stroke election led to huge Republican gains that were used to enshrine a level of gerrymandering that had never been seen before, ensuring continued Republican control of the House for nearly a decade (maybe longer).

One thing is true, some liberals don't get an important fact, Representatives represent a populace. Most of these populaces (populi?) are not deep blue. Some liberals want every liberal to be very liberal, but in plenty of places, the people just either aren't there or have been completely brainwashed to support a right-wing policy despite actually being moderate. The idea we can Sanders up the House is deluded.

Pelosi got ACA through the House... barely. That fetid far from progressive program, but step in the right direction was possible because of Pelosi. Yeah, she is part of the machine, because the machine takes so much money now... thanks in large part to the death of campaign finance reform... and the generally cheap investment that is a House Representative.

Pelosi's party while she was Speaker of the House had the votes to do something far better than ACA. Instead of passing a real healthcare bill the Demos along with the Repugs took lots of campaign cash from Big Pharma, the insurance companies, the banks, etc. It was kind of a mutual admiration society that left the common man just wondering why vote at all for these jackasses. They lost the House, the Senate, and 1000 state representative seats by being namby pamby liberals and serving their donors. They lost the White House. This was not because they were too progressive, It was because they were namby pamby and greedy at the same time for their donor's monies and perhaps a cushy position as a lobbyist after they get kicked out of office. You are mistaken. The Democratic Party is as corporate driven as the Republican Party.

The Democratic party has abandoned the working class that used to be their base. They're now pandering to the "professional" class, which the working classes disdain as elitists -- a fact the Republicans have successfully exploited.

Pelosi's party while she was Speaker of the House had the votes to do something far better than ACA.

No, they didn't, as history showed. there was absolutely no way to get universal healthcare through the senate - the House had passed a public option only to have the GOP + Joe Lieberman (then an independent) refuse to pass so much as a lower age for medicare. Lieberman specifically stated that he did not want single-payer health care, and he was absolutely needed to break a filibuster, which Reid refused to toss out, and which Pelosi had no authority over whatsoever. And as it turns out, progressives once again decided that absolutely refusing to participate in politics was going to be their method of politics - and alongside the usual disinterest in off-year elections from younger people, we ended up losing any chance for even slight improvements to health care access.

What does the Democrat Party's DNC and DCCC propose to Democrats? ...a better deal:
View attachment 15948

Ha ha! You said Democrat party instead of Democratic party!

That's such a clever insult! No doubt you are wiling to have a serious discussion about[ent]hellip[/ent]

Nope. Just some meme you found on the Internet. There isn't even a citation of any kind. Gosh, and your insult sounded so adult. I was so sure that you were going to suddenly change your ways!

Yes, the Democrats are losing. Not because Republicans are throwing votes away, Gerrymandering, and colluding with hostile foreign powers, but because you found a picture on the Intarwebz!

The Democratic party has abandoned the working class that used to be their base. They're now pandering to the "professional" class, which the working classes disdain as elitists -- a fact the Republicans have successfully exploited.
And how did the Dems abandon the working class?

I agree that the Democratic party and the DCCC need reform to be in line more with their voters. Yet, I find such pictures like this just not helpful. It's factually inaccurate, and frankly, we have enough of that nonsense flying everywhere in the age of Trump. I see no reason to stoop to that level.

This also comes awfully close to once again blurring the line between Democrats and Republicans, to the effect of "fuck it, they're all corrupt. It doesn't matter who's in power because they're fundamentally the same." Easiest thing in the world to do. It's a lazy argument, and also fundamentally untrue. Obamacare is a prime example. The GOP have been doing their level best to dismantle it. Dems wanted to fix it. Yes, it's flawed to begin with, but better is better. The tax "reform" to the rich? Muslim ban? NK meetings being run by idiots? Withdrawal from the Iran deal? Tariffs on our allies more than China? Things would be quite different right now if the situation were reversed. But, people felt "uninspired" by their candidate, so either stayed home or voted third party to "send a message to Washington". Apparently, that message is "we're even dumber than you thought."

Dems are losing working class voters due to mostly social issues: abortion, separation church and state, gay rights, me too, compassion for immigrants, and etc.

It's odd that some liberals think that Pelosi is too conservative, when conservatives consider her a very scary ultra liberal. There is some truth to the expression, "there is no reality, only perception".

By embracing TPP .....and NAFTA....and the drug companies.....and Goldman Sachs......and then the Hilary Foundation. Then adding insult to injury kicking sand in the teeth of unionized steel and coal mine workers. Giving away middle class tax money to buy cell phones for the poor while doing everything possible to outsource good paying union jobs to China.

Shall I even go on further?

I agree that the Democratic party and the DCCC need reform to be in line more with their voters. Yet, I find such pictures like this just not helpful. It's factually inaccurate, and frankly, we have enough of that nonsense flying everywhere in the age of Trump. I see no reason to stoop to that level.
It is actually extremely accurate. You just have to be honest to admit it.
This also comes awfully close to once again blurring the line between Democrats and Republicans, to the effect of "fuck it, they're all corrupt. It doesn't matter who's in power because they're fundamentally the same." Easiest thing in the world to do. It's a lazy argument, and also fundamentally untrue. Obamacare is a prime example. The GOP have been doing their level best to dismantle it. Dems wanted to fix it. Yes, it's flawed to begin with, but better is better. The tax "reform" to the rich? Muslim ban? NK meetings being run by idiots? Withdrawal from the Iran deal? Tariffs on our allies more than China? Things would be quite different right now if the situation were reversed. But, people felt "uninspired" by their candidate, so either stayed home or voted third party to "send a message to Washington". Apparently, that message is "we're even dumber than you thought."
Not at all. Trump will get elected another term because middle class people aren't as stupid as you think and know when their economic prospects and means are actually fairing better under Trump. Middle class people who actually live in the USA.

Dems are losing working class voters due to mostly social issues: abortion, separation church and state, gay rights, me too, compassion for immigrants, and etc.

Not quite. They are losing working class voters because they are concentrating on those issues. Instead of bringing better union paying jobs back home.

It's odd that some liberals think that Pelosi is too conservative, when conservatives consider her a very scary ultra liberal. There is some truth to the expression, "there is no reality, only perception".

I don't believe I heard Arkirk calling her too conservative. I heard more to the tune that she is completely out of touch with the average American middle class.

And he is right.

Wonderful! Promote disunity amongst the dems. That's what the meme above and some of the posters here is doing. Playing right into the hands of the Republicans. We keep falling for it and wonder why we lose elections.

Abandoning full employment mainly. They bought into the idea that wages caused the 70's inflation. Targeted unemployment(around 6%), wage suppression, weakening unions, financial deregulation etc., all became Dem positions. That's one reason the Repugs hated Clinton so much; he co-opted them.

Pelosi is the current embodiment of that approach; GOP lite. Attacking her marginalizes the lefties. If you follow Dem politics at all, you know there is much discord between the mainstream and progressive wings.

One example would be their opposition to pipelines like DAPL.

DAPL helps the working class not just through direct construction jobs, but more importantly by supporting the Bakken shale fracking operations, which employ many people. And lower gas prices mean more for lower income Americans because they spend a greater share of their income on energy compared to upper middle class people.

But even though the government initially approved DAPL, Obama (who initially supported "all of the above" approach to energy policy) reversed that to appease the radical environmentalist wing of the Democratic party led by billionaire Tom Steyer.

Abandoning full employment mainly. They bought into the idea that wages caused the 70's inflation. Targeted unemployment(around 6%), wage suppression, weakening unions, financial deregulation etc., all became Dem positions. That's one reason the Repugs hated Clinton so much; he co-opted them.

Pelosi is the current embodiment of that approach; GOP lite. Attacking her marginalizes the lefties. If you follow Dem politics at all, you know there is much discord between the mainstream and progressive wings.

Uhhh, that's crapola! We've been at full employment for a couple years. It's dems that favor raising minimum wage. Not the trumpites. How are dems favoring wage suppression and weakening unions? Its dems that passed Dodd-Frank and other such regulations.

Back
Top Bottom