• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why YEC can seem plausible

Really, folks, how plausible is young earth creation? About as much as flat earth belief, I'd say.

Zero.
There are many YECs with science related degrees, including PhDs... (see post #454) I'm not aware of any flat earthers in that boat.

Relevant science degrees? They mustn't have understood the subject matter, no depth or consideration, just giving it lip service in order to get their degree, seeing the world through the filter of their faith and interpreting information according to their beliefs.

....Time spans have to be telescoped because all of this has to fit into 5 or 6 thousand years.
Note they say 6000 years.... never less than that.

This video gives a good reason to add on 650 years:

But top YECs are normally against that because it says that the KJV isn't faithful to some early manuscripts....

Relevant science degrees?
Yes like I said in post #454 examples of these from a documentary include:

Steve Austin, PhD – Geologist
Andrew Snelling, PhD – Geologist
Kurt Wise, PhD – Paleontologist
Marcus Ross, PhD – Paleontologist

They mustn't have understood the subject matter, no depth or consideration,
No depth? Well this two volume set about YEC geology by a PhD geologist has 1128 pages.
https://answersingenesis.org/store/product/earths-catastrophic-past/

just giving it lip service in order to get their degree, seeing the world through the filter of their faith and interpreting information according to their beliefs.
Yeah those scientists would have had to give lip service in order to get their degrees...

Really, folks, how plausible is young earth creation? About as much as flat earth belief, I'd say.

Zero.

Biblical literalists have spent the past three centuries struggling with plausibility. It was pretty tough when it became increasingly apparent the Earth was not the center of rotation of the solar system. Despite burning a few people for heresy, they had to concede that astronomy won out over theology.

When the battle lines were formed for the war against geology and it's nephew, evolution, they no longer had to political power to burn people alive, but they could shoehorn whatever was found on the surface of the planet into their creation scenario. It was easy to say that an isolated 20 ton boulder 20 miles down hill from a mountain where the same rock was found, was evidence of the Flood of Genesis. That had been the explanation for obviously ancient landscapes for several thousand years.

Year by year, plausibility had to be squeezed like Clarence Darrow's sponge until there was nothing left. These days, plausibility requires suspension of the observed natural laws. Time spans have to be telescoped because all of this has to fit into 5 or 6 thousand years.

In 2021, there is no plausibility to Young Earth Creation. What is presented is a poorly considered scenario in which physical aspects of the planet are matched with details from Genesis. At this point, the only part where YEC and science agree, it that the Earth was created.

Not even that. They agree that the Earth exists, but "created" is a loaded word that implies intent or agency, while science tells us that the Earth formed through the gravitational collapse of material in accordance with relativity; It was no more intentional than any other gravitational event. Newton's apple fell; it wasn't pushed.

No depth? Well this two volume set about YEC geology by a PhD geologist has 1128 pages.
You think depth can be measured by page count?
What's the word count after illustrations are removed?
And after illustration captions are removed from the text?
How many bible quotes?
Or other works, are any quoted? What'left without those?

You think depth can be measured by page count?
I think it also depends on the amount of waffling and repetition.
Well they say a picture is worth a thousand words.... :)
How many bible quotes?
It still has many hundreds of pages focused on the topic of geology by an author with a PhD in geology... a YEC would get the impression that YEC geology is plausible.

Yes like I said in post #454 examples of these from a documentary include:

Steve Austin, PhD – Geologist
Andrew Snelling, PhD – Geologist
Kurt Wise, PhD – Paleontologist
Marcus Ross, PhD – Paleontologist

https://answersingenesis.org/store/product/earths-catastrophic-past/

just giving it lip service in order to get their degree, seeing the world through the filter of their faith and interpreting information according to their beliefs.
Yeah those scientists would have had to give lip service in order to get their degrees...

Do you believe that Young Earth Creationism actually accounts for the evidence? Or are these 'qualified authors' trying to justify their faith, seeking to support their belief in the bible and its cosmology?

...which leaves open the obvious question, "What do they think a 'day' is?"
YECs would say literal 24 hour days.... if the days are longer that can mean more of a gap between the earth and the stars...

Great. What do they think an hour is? What is the basic unit of time defined by? What, in short, could "literal 24 hour day" possibly mean, in the absence of a day to divide up into hours?

An hour is 1/24 of a day. The first person to suggest that it might be possible to define a day other than by reference to astronomical observations was Lord Kelvin, in 1879; The first application of his ideas, creating a non-astronomical measure of day length, was in 1949. And even then, the new measure was calibrated against the existing astronomical standard.

The authors of the KJV lived 350 years too early to define a day by any means other than astronomical.

So, in the absence of the sun or any stars, a day is a meaningless measure. It's a relative measurement with nothing to relate it to.

Before the Sun, Moon and stars existed, saying "on that day" or "on the next day" is as coherent and meaningful as saying "it's the difference between an apple". Just as "between" requires two objects that can be compared, so "Day" implies the Earth and an astronomical reference object; With only one element, it's incoherent.

Do you believe that Young Earth Creationism actually accounts for the evidence?
I did but now I am no longer a YEC.
Or are these 'qualified authors' trying to justify their faith, seeking to support their belief in the bible and its cosmology?
They believe the entire Bible must be literally true or it undermines the gospel message.

Do you believe that Young Earth Creationism actually accounts for the evidence?
I did but now I am no longer a YEC.
Or are these 'qualified authors' trying to justify their faith, seeking to support their belief in the bible and its cosmology?
They believe the entire Bible must be literally true or it undermines the gospel message.

How then do their attempts to justify their faith, the bible and young earth creationism, relate to their qualifications in science and the basic principles of science?

Great. What do they think an hour is?
YEC article about what a day means
https://creation.com/the-necessity-for-believing-in-six-literal-days

According to that article, "day" means "literal day", and a literal day is an "ordinary day".

Is this supposed to pass as a definition of a day? If you had never seen or heard of a giraffe, and someone who claimed to be trying to help you understand what a giraffe is said "it's an ordinary giraffe", and "to consider that it might be anything other than an ordinary giraffe would contradict our belief in a literal interpretation of zoology", would you consider that to be in any sense a serious effort to answer your question?

An "ordinary day" as most people understand it is a Solar Day - the time taken for the apparent motion of the Sun in the sky to make one complete cycle, and return to its starting point. But this definition cannot apply in a universe without a Sun.

Astronomers also talk about the Sidereal Day, which is a touch shorter than a Solar Day, and is the time taken for the apparent motion of a distant star to make a complete cycle. The difference between these two is caused by the fact that the Earth orbits the Sun, as well as rotating about its axis. However a Sidereal Day is neither an "ordinary day", nor a coherent idea in a universe without distant ("fixed") stars.

That link claims to say what "day" means in the context of the creation story; But all it actually does is add the contentless prefix "ordinary". Which is no definition at all.

It's reminiscent of an entry in the first Polish language dictionary, which (translated to English) read:

Horse: Everybody knows what a horse is.

Well, I do know what a day is, and I know it's defined in terms of the apparent motion of the Sun. So before there was a Sun, there couldn't be a day. Not a literal day, or an ordinary day, or (in the absence of any other celestial objects) any other kind of day.

I think it also depends on the amount of waffling and repetition.
Then is that a yes or a no to the question?

Your support for the 'depth' of their scientific understanding was one paper's page count. Nothing about waffling or repetition.
Well they say a picture is worth a thousand words.... :)
"They" also say 'Dead men don't wesr plaid.' How is that an answer to the question?
How many bible quotes?
It still has many hundreds of pages focused on the topic of geology by an author with a PhD in geology...
So, yes. That's a yes.

At the end, you're still just counting pages and offering that as an indicator of depth of knowlege. You have never graded high school reports after they discover the thesaurus, i see.

a YEC would get the impression that YEC geology is plausible.
that's the YEC's impression beford they even touch the paper. Would it be compelling to anyone still on the fence, though?

How then do their attempts to justify their faith, the bible and young earth creationism, relate to their qualifications in science and the basic principles of science?
Well they can use their specialties to come up with long-winded cherry-picking explanations about how the evidence could seem to fit YEC....

....Well, I do know what a day is, and I know it's defined in terms of the apparent motion of the Sun. So before there was a Sun, there couldn't be a day. Not a literal day, or an ordinary day, or (in the absence of any other celestial objects) any other kind of day.
No in Genesis 1:3-5 it is defined by light and dark and the face of the earth being light and dark.

And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.​

YECs see no problem of there being night and day without the Sun....

And I don't see a problem with the length of days before the Sun being the same as the days after....

....Well, I do know what a day is, and I know it's defined in terms of the apparent motion of the Sun. So before there was a Sun, there couldn't be a day. Not a literal day, or an ordinary day, or (in the absence of any other celestial objects) any other kind of day.
No in Genesis 1:3-5 it is defined by light and dark and the face of the earth being light and dark.

And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.​

YECs see no problem of there being night and day without the Sun....

And I don't see a problem with the length of days before the Sun being the same as the days after....

Genesis also specifies mornings and evenings of each day.

Well they can use their specialties to come up with long-winded cherry-picking explanations about how the evidence could seem to fit YEC....

That sums it up nicely.

Back
Top Bottom