• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Will Biden drop out? Who replaces him?

SLD

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
I predict he will - probably real soon. I just don’t see him staying in the race past this weekend. I predict he will punt on Friday the 5th?

I suppose Kamala just takes his place. But I don’t know if that’s really the solution. I don’t think she’s a good candidate. But right now she’s doing better than Biden and maybe she can step up into it.

Or maybe there’s a back room deal and another nominee comes forward and Kamala stays on as Veep.

The thing is most interesting to me what if he does not drop out. What will CNN and other people who said he should drop out will do? I don't see easy way for them to go back to business as usual, pretending Biden is not senile.
There is no way back for them, the best they can do is to be indifferent to this elections. Don't even report on it.

I can't make predictions on this one. My impression is that donors think it's too late and too complicated to replace brain dead horse.

Last edited:
I think everyone should calm the fuck down.
Stop clutching your pearls and figure out how to help Biden win.
For all his failings, he is still the best chance we have to stop the worst man ever to be in the White house.

For all his failings, he is still the best chance we have to stop the worst man ever to be in the White house.
Sorry, could you clarify: Is Trump the worst man ever to be in the Whitehouse; Or the just worst man ever (who was also in the Whitehouse)?

ETA: Or both?

I wonder why they just don’t nominate Senator Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island.

Sorry, could you clarify: Is Trump the worst man ever to be in the Whitehouse; Or the just worst man ever (who was also in the Whitehouse)?

ETA: Or both?
Perhaps the latter. But what does that say about the current pool of candidates in the Democrat party who seem to have a slim-to-none chance of beating the worst man ever? :confused2:

what does that say about the current pool of candidates
I am deeply sad about what it says about the electorate.

THAT is what is so incomprehensible and so heart-breaking about the current political situation. German voters in the early 1930's had their understandable reasons for voting for the Nazis: the Great Depression, anger and misery left over from WW I and the onerous peace terms, a huge war debt that Hitler promised to cancel.

But what excuse do Trump voters have? Fear that they will have to share public restrooms with queers? Anger that blacks and other poor people may get taxpayer-funded bondbuyer-funded health care? Hitler got only 33% of the German vote, but the Orange Führer will get even more than that, right here in what is still the Greatest and Most Prosperous Country in History.

And must depressing -- and disgusting -- of all: Republicans who we thought of as sentient, e.g. Mitt Romney and Liz Cheney, have refused to endorse the Ds. NOT ONE SINGLE incumbent Republican Governor, or incumbent Republican Congressperson has endorsed Biden or any other Democratic candidate for President.

THAT is what is so incomprehensible and so heart-breaking about the current political situation. German voters in the early 1930's had their understandable reasons for voting for the Nazis: the Great Depression, anger and misery left over from WW I and the onerous peace terms, a huge war debt that Hitler promised to cancel.

But what excuse do Trump voters have? Fear that they will have to share public restrooms with queers? Anger that blacks and other poor people may get taxpayer-funded bondbuyer-funded health care? Hitler got only 33% of the German vote, but the Orange Führer will get even more than that, right here in what is still the Greatest and Most Prosperous Country in History.

And must depressing -- and disgusting -- of all: Republicans who we thought of as sentient, e.g. Mitt Romney and Liz Cheney, have refused to endorse the Ds. NOT ONE SINGLE incumbent Republican Governor, or incumbent Republican Congressperson has endorsed Biden or any other Democratic candidate for President.
That's not true, Liz Cheney, Kissinger and a few other Republican have endorsed Biden. Cheney has even been trying to raise money for him.

I think a lot of people who support Trump get their so called news from Fox or worse yet NewsMax. I know one of them and had a discussion with her about why she supports Trump. She believes the shit that Trump says about Biden letting criminals in freely. She believes every word she hears on Newsmax. Some wealthy people are in it for the tax breaks. Some are just low information voters and they've heard that Biden did a horrible job during the debate and some have no understanding of basic economics, so they think things were better under Trump and they will grudgingly vote for him.

I don't think the other media has been fair to Biden. It may be true that he's declining, but I don't think he's declining as much as Trump and by constantly criticizing him, they are just helping Trump. At his point, it may be best if Biden steps down, but who is this charismatic, experienced leader that will suddenly win over swing voters in states like mine and beat the Orange Demon? I'm just not so sure there is one at this point. I'd bow out if I were Biden. I don't know how he takes all the criticism and stress. It would be so much nicer to retire and enjoy the rest of his life with his wife and kids, but apparently he believes he's the man for the job. Maybe things will change over the next week. At his point I hope so as I think the media has made it close to impossible for him to win. Charles Blow is the only one out of about 6 NYTImes opinion writers who thinks that Biden is the only now who can beat Trump. The other candidates suggested, imo, don't have a chance and some of them probably don't want to run. it's a mess! That's all I have to say at this point. Let's see how the next couple of weeks go.

I predict he will - probably real soon. I just don’t see him staying in the race past this weekend. I predict he will punt on Friday the 5th?

I suppose Kamala just takes his place. But I don’t know if that’s really the solution. I don’t think she’s a good candidate. But right now she’s doing better than Biden and maybe she can step up into it.

Or maybe there’s a back room deal and another nominee comes forward and Kamala stays on as Veep.
It'd be hard to make the case that she is a senile, frail old man. Both candidates ambled on stage in a manner that made it look as though a walker would be adviseable for stability, just in case. I feel like Kamala would manage the mount with nary a wobble. Will play well in the second debate.

As we say in the West, "gold attracts fleas". Poverty may inspire desperation, but prosperity invites avarice. Which is more motivating?

If he's the best chance, we're fucked.

I've been a Biden supporter for a long time. He's managed to make chicken salad out of chicken shit for the past 3-1/2 years, supporting Ukraine, strengthening NATO, pushing through a massive infrastructure bill, reducing drug prices, etc. But what too many people see is is an old guy who hasn't been able to reduce inflation / profiteering. It won't drive votes to Trump as much as it will cause voters to stay home.

He had one job in the debate: look like he had more marbles remaining than Trump does. He failed. I don't care if he had an off day. If I'm running the Trump campaign, there is no second debate, so that awful performance is what people are left with. There would be pressure on Trump to participate only if there's a new candidate, other than Harris.

Harris will be perceived as a younger sidekick who also didn't do anything to make the average person's life better. She's not the answer.

No one in Congress is the answer either. Being associated with the shitshow at the Capitol is the last thing a candidate wants. The best options are governors, Newsom and Whitmer probably at the top of the list.

Someone suggested a ticket of Whitmer and Shapiro (PA governor), which would be a big advantage in two swing states. I'm not sure how Whitmer would do in a debate, but I think Newsom would gut Trump like a fish.

That's not true, Liz Cheney, Kissinger and a few other Republican have endorsed Biden. Cheney has even been trying to raise money for him.

Cite? Here's the first Google hit I see:
Former Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.), who has promised to do whatever it takes to keep Trump out of office, has fueled speculation about whether she’ll make a formal endorsement of Biden this year.

By Kissinger I assume you mean Kinzinger, and yes, he is one of the very VERY few prominent GOPsters who have actually endorsed Biden. That's why I wrote incumbent Republican Congressperson. Kinzinger did not seek reelection to Congress in 2022.

There ARE several Republicans who have announced they do not SUPPORT Trump. But when pressed about Biden they decline to endorse him, saying instead "I am a Republican." In many cases, their words imply they will vote for Trump DESPITE that they don't "support" him.

Next contestant! :)

As we say in the West, "gold attracts fleas". Poverty may inspire desperation, but prosperity invites avarice. Which is more motivating?
The avarice inspired by riches features enthusiasm that desperation can only match when it becomes existential.

Cite? Here's the first Google hit I see:
Former Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.), who has promised to do whatever it takes to keep Trump out of office, has fueled speculation about whether she’ll make a formal endorsement of Biden this year.

By Kissinger I assume you mean Kinzinger, and yes, he is one of the very VERY few prominent GOPsters who have actually endorsed Biden. That's why I wrote incumbent Republican Congressperson. Kinzinger did not seek reelection to Congress in 2022.

There ARE several Republicans who have announced they do not SUPPORT Trump. But when pressed about Biden they decline to endorse him, saying instead "I am a Republican." In many cases, their words imply they will vote for Trump DESPITE that they don't "support" him.

Next contestant! :)
Yes. I probably spelled part of his name wrong and good old autocorrect turned it into Kissinger. I just read an article about Republicans who were going to vote for Biden prior to the debate and while they still despise Trump, they think that Biden should leave the race. They feel lost. I think a lot of people feel lost, but imo, Trump is far more of a danger than someone who is a few years older and might be experiencing cognitive decline. Trump is obviously experiencing cognitive decline, but he's also a pathological liar who supports Project 2021, even if he doesn't really understand the danger of it. I'm not sure Trump understands much of anything. He's just a narcissist who will say whatever gets him attention and praise. His cognitive decline is far worse than Biden's but people don't seem to realize it. Anyway....we seem to be heading toward autocracy and there's no easy way out.

I've seen Cheney formally endorse Biden although I don't know if the debate changed her mind. She has said many times that she doesn't agree with many of his policies, but "bad policies" are better than a threat to democracy. I've read her book. She praised the Democrats that she worked with on the committee to investigate the Jan 6th episode. I don't agree with her policies, but I respect her decency and honesty. Maybe we need a split ticket for this one race with a Democrat as president and a Republican as VP. I know it won't happen, but it might be a way to unite some of the most divided parts of the country. The former Lt. Gov of Georgia has openly endorsed Biden too. Our governor won't do that but at least he didn't help Trump over turn our election. I'll give him a few points for that. :p

If he's the best chance, we're fucked.

I've been a Biden supporter for a long time. He's managed to make chicken salad out of chicken shit for the past 3-1/2 years, supporting Ukraine, strengthening NATO, pushing through a massive infrastructure bill, reducing drug prices, etc. But what too many people see is is an old guy who hasn't been able to reduce inflation / profiteering. It won't drive votes to Trump as much as it will cause voters to stay home.

He had one job in the debate: look like he had more marbles remaining than Trump does. He failed. I don't care if he had an off day. If I'm running the Trump campaign, there is no second debate, so that awful performance is what people are left with. There would be pressure on Trump to participate only if there's a new candidate, other than Harris.

Harris will be perceived as a younger sidekick who also didn't do anything to make the average person's life better. She's not the answer.

No one in Congress is the answer either. Being associated with the shitshow at the Capitol is the last thing a candidate wants. The best options are governors, Newsom and Whitmer probably at the top of the list.

Someone suggested a ticket of Whitmer and Shapiro (PA governor), which would be a big advantage in two swing states. I'm not sure how Whitmer would do in a debate, but I think Newsom would gut Trump like a fish.
I like this. I agree. I think Biden’s been great. But he doesn’t stand a chance. Neither does Harris. But she’s polling better than Biden against Trump. My fear is that she becomes the candidate by default. We need some adults to take charge and draft Whitmer or Newsom. Maybe a Newsome Harris ticket. Keep Harris as Veep. Or maybe a Whitmer Booker ticket. Need some color to be blunt. As you say, we don’t want people staying home like they did for Hillary.

The problem with Harris is that if you replace Biden with someone else but keep Harris as vp candidate you are admitting you don't think Harris is qualified to be president. Either keep both of them or ditch her and Biden.

It'd be hard to make the case that she is a senile, frail old man. Both candidates ambled on stage in a manner that made it look as though a walker would be adviseable for stability, just in case. I feel like Kamala would manage the mount with nary a wobble. Will play well in the second debate.
Some might say it's hard for a woman to walk with their heels so high in the air.

The problem with Harris is that if you replace Biden with someone else but keep Harris as vp candidate you are admitting you don't think Harris is qualified to be president. Either keep both of them or ditch her and Biden.
Given how even the Dems have been mostly keeping Harris out of the conversation lately, I don't think an explicit admission is necessary.

Back
Top Bottom