• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Will Trump finally be indicted in Georgia?

6 years probation, $6000 fine, $2700 to state, And she may get to own a gun, maybe.
She might need a gun, to defend herself from Trump's goons.
Unfortunately, she won't be alone in this. In a way, Trump is like a mob boss. You flip on him, and he sends goons. The difference is that an actual mob boss would give it six months or a year, and then someone that was hired by a guy their goons hired would show up on your doorstep with a baseball bat and everyone involved would get a wad of cash when the job was done.

Trump is different in that he has people he's never met who will do it for free. Hell, I bet the "hang Mike Pence" people who built the gibbet on 1/6 actually sent Trump money. Sure, most of his ardent supporters can't be bothered to show up for a "rally" at his arraignment in New York, but there are enough of them who are dedicated enough to commit violence in his name, no matter what the consequences are. Ashli Babbitt comes to mind. That guy who attacked an FBI office a couple years back. Literally every Jan 6th rioter.

Former Donald Trump attorney Sidney Powell has pleaded guilty in the Georgia election subversion case, one day before her trial was set to start.

Fulton County prosecutors are recommending a sentence of six years probation. Powell will also be required to testify at future trials and write an apology letter to the citizens of Georgia.

As part of her guilty plea, Powell is admitting her role in the January 2021 breach of election systems in rural Coffee County, Georgia. With the help of local GOP officials, a group of Trump supporters accessed and copied information from the county’s election systems in hopes of somehow proving that the election was rigged against Trump.

How iron-clad is the "required to testify"? Zero time in prison seems like a sweetheart deal for one of the top criminals in one of the worst treasons in American history. I'd hate to imagine prosecutors giving away such a sweetheart deal unless she's already provided sworn depositions detailing criminal acts by her higher-up(s).

In my opinion Powell was too deeply involved in the planning and execution of the attempted coup and is too big a fish to get off with this plea deal. She needs to be in prison.
I think she got this sweetheart deal because she is also required to testify and not to discuss the case with the media or the public until after she testifies. It appears that she has a lot of information that will be helpful to use against Trump and some of the others who have been charged. If she helps convict Trump, I'm good with this deal.

In my opinion Powell was too deeply involved in the planning and execution of the attempted coup and is too big a fish to get off with this plea deal. She needs to be in prison.
I think she got this sweetheart deal because she is also required to testify and not to discuss the case with the media or the public until after she testifies. It appears that she has a lot of information that will be helpful to use against Trump and some of the others who have been charged. If she helps convict Trump, I'm good with this deal.

It had better be good.

Trump is like a mob boss.
FIFY
The difference is that an actual mob boss would give it six months or a year, and then someone that was hired by a guy their goons hired would show up on your doorstep with a baseball bat...
A distinction without a difference.
Trump is different in that he has people he's never met who will do it for free.
Tru dat!

How iron-clad is the "required to testify"? Zero time in prison seems like a sweetheart deal for one of the top criminals in one of the worst treasons in American history. I'd hate to imagine prosecutors giving away such a sweetheart deal unless she's already provided sworn depositions detailing criminal acts by her higher-up(s).
It is ironclad in the sense that violations of terms of the plea bargain - and its revocation - are determined at the judge's discretion. She better appear to be spilling the beans - the whole can of beans - or she could end up in the can herself.

I read that Chesebro used to be a Democrat with liberal leanings. His friends from law school were shocked when he started supporting Trump. That just shows you how Trump can poison the minds of all kinds of people, despite primarily being the hero of those who have been called, since the 1600s, "poor white trash" or as Trump calls them, "the poorly educated".

I read that Chesebro used to be a Democrat with liberal leanings. His friends from law school were shocked when he started supporting Trump. That just shows you how Trump can poison the minds of all kinds of people, despite primarily being the hero of those who have been called, since the 1600s, "poor white trash" or as Trump calls them, "the poorly educated".
Poison is the word. The tactic is fear. Maybe Kenny really started being afraid that all those brown people were coming for his family.

Poison is the word. The tactic is fear. Maybe Kenny really started being afraid that all those brown people were coming for his family.
Based on what I read, he served poor minorities for years, before he lost it. It was in one of the papers I read. I'll see if I can find the article. It just amazes me when people change so radically, but obviously Trump's greatest talent is manipulating people and getting away with crimes.

Others will be prosecuted, but I'm not optimistic about the outcome of Trump's trials. It only takes one juror to keep him from being convicted. Maybe they can keep trying him until he dies, which considering his unhealthy lifestyle and recent symptoms of dementia as evidenced by his increasingly short term memory loss, it might not be that far away. Just sayin'.

I found the article about Chesebro's past life as a liberal Democrat. I'm gifting it, if anyone is interested. I just like trying to understand people and the influences in their lives that sometimes cause them to change, which is why I found this article interesting. It's from WaPo. I wonder if any of the others who will be tried were decent people before being infected by Trump.

https://wapo.st/4951YXQ

I found the article about Chesebro's past life as a liberal Democrat. I'm gifting it, if anyone is interested. I just like trying to understand people and the influences in their lives that sometimes cause them to change, which is why I found this article interesting. It's from WaPo. I wonder if any of the others who will be tried were decent people before being infected by Trump.

That is a fascinating article. Thank you for sharing. Seems like he went through the same changes that brought Hitler/Nazi loyalists to power. In his case, however, he already pretty much had it all and didn't need to sign on to anything new. He is probably another guy bothered by anxiety all his life from which the stress eventually causes changes to the brain.

That is a fascinating article. Thank you for sharing. Seems like he went through the same changes that brought Hitler/Nazi loyalists to power. In his case, however, he already pretty much had it all and didn't need to sign on to anything new. He is probably another guy bothered by anxiety all his life from which the stress eventually causes changes to the brain.
I agree. The cliché that comes to mind is “money corrupts”.
He made some fast millions and started hanging around with other easy money types. Before long he was thinking like them.
:shrug:
Happens all the time.

Another one bites the dust.
Lawyer Kenneth Chesebro pleads guilty over efforts to overturn Trump’s 2020 loss in Georgia
Chesebro, who was charged alongside Trump and 17 others with violating the state’s anti-racketeering law, pleaded guilty to one felony charge of conspiracy to commit filing false documents in a last-minute deal. His plea came a day after fellow attorney Sidney Powell, who had been scheduled to go to trial alongside him, entered her own guilty plea to six misdemeanor counts.

In Chesebro's case, he was sentenced to five years’ probation and 100 hours of community service and was ordered to pay $5,000 in restitution, write an apology letter to Georgia’s residents and testify truthfully at any related future trial.

Michigan Republican charged in false elector plot agrees to cooperation deal - ABC News - "The Michigan Attorney General's office says a Michigan Republican accused of participating in a fake elector plot had his case dismissed Thursday after a cooperation agreement was reached"

It turns out, Kenneth Chesebro is a better lawyer than anyone thought.
Actually, he was. He knew that if he didn't cop a plea, he'd probably end up with a long jail term, so probation and witnessing against the orange menage was his best option, although he might have to hire a body guard to protect himself against the MAGA crazies.

The amusing part to me is that both Chesebro and Powell asked to have the charges dropped about a day before they made their plea deal.

I’d have to speculate that Chesebro is on the RFK and Gabbard spectrum of liberal that came to believe that the Democratic Party was NWO incarnate alongside the Bush Family. Crypto bros thought that crypto was going to be the disrupter that broke the Rothschild Bilderberger bla bla powers that be economic stranglehold on the world. The ones that I know in real life became convinced that Trump was the outsider that was going to fight the deep state and that the deep state was Democrat. These are the 911 Truther anti-Bush people that decided that the Democrats were just as deep state as Bushes. Traveling down that rabbit hole there has been nothing to convince them otherwise. Trump is their savior no matter how much right wing crap he pulls from his cabinet picks, to Federalist Society judges, to signing the McConnel Ryan rush people tax give away.

Telling them that GOP election officials oversaw the elections they think were stolen means nothing. They thing Raffensberger et al. are they in on the plot.

I agree. The cliché that comes to mind is “money corrupts”.
He made some fast millions and started hanging around with other easy money types. Before long he was thinking like them.
:shrug:
Happens all the time.

I'd agree that money corrupts, but it isn't always cut and dried. Some people were - either deep down or not so deep - already corrupt, but money revealed who they really were all along.

Trump was already corrupt, but it seems he figured out along the way that it was a lot easier to get "the deplorables" to send money and spend their hard earned dollars on Trump merch. Liberals might put a Biden sign out on the lawn near election time, but they aren't gonna buy a hat, t-shirt, flag, and a brick of "I Did That" stickers to put on gas pumps around town. I think it's right that he originally got into the race because it would make a great grift, and was genuinely like "what have I done?" when he actually won, but once he got into office the money really started flowing in and he found out that his new job had power like he'd never had before. Now he needs to be reelected because it's the only thing that may save him.

But it might not save him from Fulton County. He can't just keep things tied up in appeals and then pardon himself. I wouldn't be surprised if Powell and Cheeseburger realized that even if he were to win, he would not be able to pardon them, either. I suspect Rudy is going to flip at some point, along with most of the others.

I think it's also important to remember that the Georgia case is just about election tampering in Georgia, not the entire US. Fani Willis brought a sprawling RICO case against 19 people with the strategy that some would flip and start a domino effect that would eventually topple to big domino at the end. A condition of her plea is that she has to testify truthfully in future cases, so her testimony in Georgia could open her up to liability in Jack Smith's federal case in DC for nationwide election interference. She will not be able to plead he fifth on the Georgia interference, because she is no longer in legal jeopardy there. Hence, Smith will have considerable leverage in getting her to flip against Trump in the federal case. Ditto for Chesebro. Trump is in graver danger not just in Georgia now, but also at the federal level. Unlike those who flip on a mob boss, she won't be a candidate for the witness protection program, so leniency in the Georgia case is far from letting her off the hook in the future. And she will need to be extra careful wherever she goes for a long time now.

Back
Top Bottom