• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Witness!

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
So I was in the backyard working on landscaping and thought ai saw my out front. Turns out it was a trio of Baptists (one adult, one teen, one tweenish). I tried to cut back as I was interested but they saw me.

But I made most of the opportunity. These people, led by the adult were out of their league.

Polite, accurate, to the point, it was fun. At one point, I think he thought I was Jewish and started making a bad argument there. I don't think he knew what the Tanakh was. He hinted at YEC and I inquired. He said yes, so I hit him on the geology. He said he didn't want to get into an argument on the science. I said I felt compelled and obligated to "witness" regarding the science.

Probably about the 5 to 10 worst minutes he'd spent that day, if you consider knocking on unanswered doors better spent time. I hope something clicked for the kids.

I had fun at least as he abruptly decided to end the conversation, he had other people to talk to. Wished them a good day and enjoy the great weather and went back to the yard work

Where I live, the roaming evangelists, door-knockers, etc. seem to be depopulating. It's been at least 10 years since there was a sweep of town by the Mormons, and the last doorknocker I had was a Jehovah's Witness, about 3 or 4 years ago. My favorite thing is to announce right at the start that I'm an atheist. They take a step back from that, because it means their usual script may not work. I said this to a JW at a laundromat once, and he said something like, "Wow! I'm not sure I've met one of you before. May I ask, what led you to be an atheist?" And I knew what to say: "From readin' the Bible." Things shut down in about 15 seconds, and I got back to my book.

Most of the door knockers I get are teens from one of the local Baptist churches. They're just kids so I don't like to hassle them.

Most of the door knockers I get are teens
I used to favor teen knockers when I was a teen myself. But some time around 22-24 years of age I started to prefer more mature ones ….

Most of the door knockers I get are teens
I used to favor teen knockers when I was a teen myself. But some time around 22-24 years of age I started to prefer more mature ones ….
😁. I never got a chance to experience any teen knockers, except for one time when a chick's top came off after a dive while I was snorkeling in the pool.

Had the Baptists come to the door again today. This time a middle aged woman and her son who appeared to be about ten years old. I had to tell her twice I'm not interested.

I one had a group approach my home and proceeded to tel me that there was more murder and persecution now than in any other time. My response? Medieval witch hunts….. they left. :)

I one had a group approach my home and proceeded to tel me that there was more murder and persecution now than in any other time. My response?
I'd go with, "Then what in the heck are doing outside openly professing your faith?! You are gonna get yourselves killed!"

I was driving a school service the other day, and we passed a JW group who were handing out pamphlets outside Sunnybank Plaza shopping centre.

As we drove by, a voice from behind me said, in the disdainful tones that only a teenager can manage, "Look! Look! It's the Bible people". I don't think my passengers could have been any more dismissive of these folk as total freaks, if they'd have had two heads and three arms each.

Sometimes the younger generation gives us real grounds for hope.

About 15 years ago a few of us were helping a buddy pack up a rental truck to move out of state. In the middle of it a pair of late middle-aged fundies (1 male, 1 female) walked up and asked if we'd like to talk about Christ. I looked up and said "Does this really look like a good time?" As they were turning away my friend said "Well grab a box!" and then yelled "That's what Jesus would do!" to their backs as they walked away. They didn't come back.

About 15 years ago a few of us were helping a buddy pack up a rental truck to move out of state. In the middle of it a pair of late middle-aged fundies (1 male, 1 female) walked up and asked if we'd like to talk about Christ. I looked up and said "Does this really look like a good time?" As they were turning away my friend said "Well grab a box!" and then yelled "That's what Jesus would do!" to their backs as they walked away. They didn't come back.
(y)

Back
Top Bottom