• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Woke is white arrogance

Cognitive ability is a powerful predictor of political tolerance

Cognitive ability was the single strongest predictor of political tolerance, with larger effects than education, openness to experience, ideology, and threat. The cognitively demanding nature of tolerance judgments was further supported by results showing cognitive ability predicted tolerance best when extending such tolerance was hardest.

In other words, Republicans are stupid.

Be careful of what you wish for!

I gave the presumption of rationality on the part of the reader.
Like Limbaugh, Trump, and MTG.

People who feel free to say things without bothering to support it, because "rational people" already know the truth.

Tom

Actually, Trump, Limbaugh, and MTG and many others absolutely count on the unwillingness and inability of some people to actually read or understand what they read or to think rationally.

I see a bunch of TFT's also count on that. It's a pandemic.
People believe whatever floats their boat, and just ignore facts that get in the way.

I do find your posts pretty inconsistent and often not easy to understand.
You could ask me what I meant. I try to be clear, even though I don't fit either the conservative or liberal norms.
Tom

You have produced no evidence to support your conclusion, and your link is from Fox!!!

I have. The guy quoted anti-white racist shit approvingly.

Turn the races around. How many nanoseconds would it take a university to fire a professor talking about how there is something ethical in black people killing themselves, that black culture is black supremcism, that blackness should be castrated, that black people should give up their blackness etc.

So if it is abhorrent when said about blacks, why is it ok when this hate is targeting whites?

Perhaps they correctly perceived he did not display any anti-white racism.
That is bullshit, as he definitely did. Again, replace races. Do you still find it ok?

That's the way you do it when you totally aren't a conservative, eh? Just can't bring yourself to admit you were wrong.
I am not a conservative and I am not wrong.

I never said it was an obscure term, and where I come from it has been in constant use for those decades,
It was definitely an obscure term. You may have heard it used in the radical lefty circles you move in, but it was not in widespread, and certainly not in mainstream, use until Ferguson rioters and activists popularized it.

gradually gaining more and more use as a compliment until the right-wing (I mean the totally not right-wing like Derec) noticed and had to turn it into a pejorative.

Those opposed to the left wing (not all of those are right-wing!) only started using it as a pejorative after it came into common usage via Ferguson insurrectionists. And there was nothing gradual about it either.

He wasn't playing politics. He was playing football. He expressed an opinion quietly and respectfully. It was an opinion the rightwingers didn't want to hear so they raised a huge stink and scared off potential employers.

Kaepernick knew going down on one knee during the anthem was likely to result in some pretty stiff consequences up to and including the end of his career, which is why he's admired for having courage as well as convictions. What I'd like to know is, is he woke?

He's not considered white in American culture, wasn't being arrogant or overbearing, and appears to be very sincere. He only seems to fit the first definition of 'woke' but according to DrZoidberg the first definition isn't definitive.

He used football for his message, not for their message.

If you get your boss in the news other than in a good way, expect it to be career-limiting.

Whether his bosses agreed with his position or not is irrelevant.

Your master/slave mentality is noted.

And we clearly see who you consider the slaves.

Black players.

How many crazy anti-vaxx white players are being blackballed for their dangerous ideas?

Kaepernick quietly knelt.

If a person has a problem with that they also have other serious problems.

BTW Zizek is a supporter and fan of that long deceased Freudian con and fraud Lacan--so yeah, i want to dismiss him.

I wish I could argue against this. But I've read Lacan. He's got problems. Just because what he says is logical doesn't mean it makes sense. There's a lot of weak propositions with strong conclusions in his work. I wouldn't go so far as to call him a fraud. His Objet petit a model of desire is pretty spot on IMHO.

I read Lacan in formative years. I think it's good training in doing philosophy in general.

I think Zizek's life's work is to salvage what is good and reject that which is weak. I think he does a good job of that.

To quote Zizek. "The role of a philosopher isn't to come with answers. It's to come with new questions"

The woke have canceled Roy ‘Chubby’ Brown;

Roy 'Chubby' Brown fans have branded those who called for the Sheffield gig to be cancelled as "snowflakes".

North Yorkshire comedian Roy 'Chubby' Brown's show in the city was axed after thousands signed a petition calling for it to be cancelled. Sheffield City Hall then decided his comedy was not suited to the venue and scrapped the show.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/sheffields-fury-woke-decision-axe-21464729

This statement pretty much captures the putrid essence of woke;

Councillor Terry Fox, leader of Sheffield City Council, added: “The council wholeheartedly supports Sheffield City Trust’s decision to remove the booking for Roy Chubby Brown’s January show. Sheffield is a City of Sanctuary, with diverse communities and the content of this show is unlikely to reflect Sheffield’s inclusive values.”

What a trumpet.

Isn't the lack of ticket sales all the petitions you need? If you need to make a petition to stop a guy from performing at a paid gig you've already lost the popular appeal. It's an activity intended to prevent something enough people are cool with, but this dick wants to use local government power, to stop it anyway. The fact that anybody has bought any tickets means that they should back off and let him perform. What a bunch of assholes.

BTW, I've seen one of his shows. I sat the whole time in shocked disbelief at the things that guy was saying. Not a progressive guy. I turned it off. I think this guy is a racist. I still think he should be allowed to perform. I'm completely cool about people not agreeing with me and my values.

You have produced no evidence to support your conclusion, and your link is from Fox!!!

I have. The guy quoted anti-white racist shit approvingly.
You are mistaken.
Turn the races around. How many nanoseconds would it take a university to fire a professor talking about how there is something ethical in black people killing themselves, that black culture is black supremcism, that blackness should be castrated, that black people should give up their blackness etc.
Since no one said such things about white people, I fail to see what you are literally babbling about. The professor was quoting someone who was specifically talking about white people in South Africa. The professor said there was something psychologically ethical about the person's statement about white people in South Africa committing suicide. Finally, we have no idea how any of the comments fit in the context of his entire speech. For all we know, he was speaking figuratively not literally. After all, it is not literally possible to castrate whiteness. You are raving about something you don't understand.
That is bullshit, as he definitely did. Again, replace races. Do you still find it ok?
Fox reported quotes of a lecture and left the context out. You have misinterpreted some quotes and misrepresented some others.

I am not making stuff up without regards to the truth, so my response is not bullshit.

The woke have canceled Roy ‘Chubby’ Brown;

Roy 'Chubby' Brown fans have branded those who called for the Sheffield gig to be cancelled as "snowflakes".

North Yorkshire comedian Roy 'Chubby' Brown's show in the city was axed after thousands signed a petition calling for it to be cancelled. Sheffield City Hall then decided his comedy was not suited to the venue and scrapped the show.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/sheffields-fury-woke-decision-axe-21464729

This statement pretty much captures the putrid essence of woke;

Councillor Terry Fox, leader of Sheffield City Council, added: “The council wholeheartedly supports Sheffield City Trust’s decision to remove the booking for Roy Chubby Brown’s January show. Sheffield is a City of Sanctuary, with diverse communities and the content of this show is unlikely to reflect Sheffield’s inclusive values.”

What a trumpet.

Isn't the lack of ticket sales all the petitions you need? If you need to make a petition to stop a guy from performing at a paid gig you've already lost the popular appeal. It's an activity intended to prevent something enough people are cool with, but this dick wants to use local government power, to stop it anyway. The fact that anybody has bought any tickets means that they should back off and let him perform. What a bunch of assholes.

A bunch of woke assholes to be precise. What a crazy place the UK is. Years ago there used to be a busybody called Barbara Whitehouse who would try to censor this type of thing from people’s sensitive ears. She was mocked and ridiculed mercilessly. She’d be a hero to today’s wokesters.

Reminds me of when a certain Radio One DJ refused to play “Relax” by Frankie Goes To Hollywood. The song spent weeks at number one and the BBC wouldn’t allow them to perform on TOTP. The single was going nowhere until the ban.

BTW, I've seen one of his shows. I sat the whole time in shocked disbelief at the things that guy was saying. Not a progressive guy. I turned it off. I think this guy is a racist. I still think he should be allowed to perform. I'm completely cool about people not agreeing with me and my values.

I heard a recording of one of his performances many years ago but I don’t remember much about it. I believe his low brow humor appeals the lower classes and I suspect this is why he comes in for woke ire. They despise the dirty working class.

Black players.

How many crazy anti-vaxx white players are being blackballed for their dangerous ideas?

This has nothing to do with slavery, just normal expectations for employment.

Black players.

Isn't it a hoot?
Kaep earns $5M/year playing ball. But then, when he can't do whatever he wants at work, suddenly the issue is slavery.
Tom

Black players.

You want the employer to be able to force people to not kneel quietly during the national anthem.

You want employees treated as slaves.

Again, if a person has a problem with Kaepernick quietly kneeling they have a serious problem.

Black players.

Isn't it a hoot?
Kaep earns $5M/year playing ball. But then, when he can't do whatever he wants at work, suddenly the issue is slavery.
Tom

This is about quietly kneeling during the national anthem.

It has nothing to do with Kaepernick's job as a QB.

If a person has a problem with Kaepernick quietly kneeling they have a serious problem.

No it isn't.
Kaep could do that a dozen times a week. Nobody would care.

It was doing it on camera, in uniform, representing the folks paying him huge bucks that was the problem.

He can do it now all he wants and the NFL won't care.
Tom

No it isn't.

It was doing it on camera, in uniform, representing the folks paying him huge bucks that was the problem.

Tom

Anybody who has a problem with a man quietly kneeling during the national anthem has a serious problem.

Being an employee is not being a slave even if some think it is.

Those people paying him are making money off him and living as a parasite off the talent of others.

No it isn't.

Tom

Anybody who has a problem with a man quietly kneeling during the national anthem has a serious problem.

I don't, as long as everyone else is OK with it.
Tom

I don't, as long as everyone else is OK with it.
Tom

There is nothing to have a problem with.

Forced patriotism is what totalitarian nations do.

Freedom means you don't have to stand for the stupid song.

Things only get better when people can freely protest.

If he interrupted the game, or even the song, that would be a different story.

But if a person has a problem with a man quietly kneeling they have more serious problems and should be opposed.

Kaepernick went to a veteran that was his friend to decide what to do. Kneeling quietly is a sign of respect.

.Freedom means you don't have to stand for the stupid song.

I quite agree here.
Why is the anthem played at a ball game?
I think it's a holdover from McCarthy era politics.

But I couldn't care less about pro sports. The people who buy. The people who play. The people who own. The whole thing seems stupid to me.

Well,
If those big burly dudes started grabbing each other's tackle and piling on each other in skimpy outfits like girls wear, yeah. I'd be interested.
Tom

Back
Top Bottom