• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Woke is white arrogance

You want the employer to be able to force people to not kneel quietly during the national anthem.

You want employees treated as slaves.

Again, if a person has a problem with Kaepernick quietly kneeling they have a serious problem.

When you're on the clock you do what the boss tells you to do unless it's dangerous or illegal.

He is paid to be a QB.

He is not paid to worship the flag of a nation with serious problems.

You simply don't care about those problems.

I know what people who get bent out of shape about uppity black men are.

They are not actors but sports is entertainment.

All entertainment is not acting.

Right........

which is why I wrote that football players are not actors.

Sorry I didn't read your mind.

My post said what was on my mind. Trausti wrote that athletes are actors following a script. He likely wrote this because of Kaepernick. Generally speaking, athletes are NOT actors following a script. One could argue this applies often to pro wrestlers, but certainly not football players. That's all what I wrote. I agree with you that sports is entertainment to audiences and it follows that athletes are entertainers, but Trausti's response to you was over the top and clearly false to any unbiased observer.

My post said what was on my mind. Trausti wrote that athletes are actors following a script. He likely wrote this because of Kaepernick. Generally speaking, athletes are NOT actors following a script. One could argue this applies often to pro wrestlers, but certainly not football players. That's all what I wrote. I agree with you that sports is entertainment to audiences and it follows that athletes are entertainers, but Trausti's response to you was over the top and clearly false to any unbiased observer.

He tried to be clever.

But of course sports is not scripted. The outcome is not known.

Nobody is acting. Except those god damn European soccer players and their stupid acting to draw penalties. It cheapens the game.

Really, even the thread title is pretty damn ironic. The OP author wishes to accuse liberal-minded whites of arrogance in their dealings with non-whites (I guess?). But by defining the concept of wokeness as "white arrogance", he implicitly excludes African-Americans from the conversation over a phrase and aesthetic that originated in the work of people of color. Why does this person feel so comfortable treating Black poets, writers, and musicians as irrelevant to the discussion of a trend that began with their creativity? How is this anything other than an example of what results from carefully taught "white arrogance"?

Really, even the thread title is pretty damn ironic. The OP author wishes to accuse liberal-minded whites of arrogance in their dealings with non-whites (I guess?). But by defining the concept of wokeness as "white arrogance", he implicitly excludes African-Americans from the conversation over a phrase and aesthetic that originated in the work of people of color. Why does this person feel so comfortable treating Black poets, writers, and musicians as irrelevant to the discussion of a trend that began with their creativity? How is this anything other than an example of what results from carefully taught "white arrogance"?

The phrase means nothing.

It is a Pavlov trigger to get some dogs barking.

FFS, you don’t know what a metaphor is?

FFS, the over the top metaphor doesn't help your case at all. It's not a good metaphor to make your point. You should be so ashamed of the post by now you shouldn't be trying to double down on it. Don't do a Trump. Just move on.

You don't know what a QB's job is.

It has nothing to with displays of ignorant patriotism.

Speaking of displays of patriotism, does anyone here think there would have been this much outcry if Kaepernick had gone down on one knee to draw attention to the need to support our wounded veterans, or to support the rights of bakers to refuse to decorate cakes for gay couples, or whatever cause du jour Fox News was touting? Do you think he would have been criticized for kneeling during the anthem to express his faith in God and Country?

I think all this talk about employees in uniform not being allowed to kneel is just a convenient post hoc excuse for people who were upset he was openly supporting #BLM.

The land of the free.

Except for black QB's wanting to silently kneel during jingoistic nonsense.

The land of the free.

I wouldn't go as far as saying the anthem before a sports game is jingoism but I do notice the irony when someone cries "you shouldn't disrespect soldiers that died for your freedom to protest by protesting!"

The land of the free.

I wouldn't go as far as saying the anthem before a sports game is jingoism but I do notice the irony when someone cries "you shouldn't disrespect soldiers that died for your freedom to protest by protesting!"

Kaep got the idea of kneeling from a veteran.

Speaking of displays of patriotism, does anyone here think there would have been this much outcry if Kaepernick had gone down on one knee to draw attention to the need to support our wounded veterans, or to support the rights of bakers to refuse to decorate cakes for gay couples, or whatever cause du jour Fox News was touting? Do you think he would have been criticized for kneeling during the anthem to express his faith in God and Country?
Certainly not by Fox commentators or our human shitstain of a POTUS. Hell, if he had been protesting "fake news", he'd have been lauded.
I think all this talk about employees in uniform not being allowed to kneel is just a convenient post hoc excuse for people who were upset he was openly supporting #BLM.
I think there is substantial truth to that.

The land of the free.

It is jingoism.

It is patriotic propaganda. Football has nothing to do with the national anthem.

I was at the Super Bowl this year.

As the national anthem finished three military planes flew overhead.

I like to talk about going to the Super Bowl. I live in the Tampa area and am a bucs fan. I went because I work in a hospital and had my second vaccine before January 19th.

I am not a conservative and I am not wrong.

Whatever you say, Derec.

It was definitely an obscure term. You may have heard it used in the radical lefty circles you move in, but it was not in widespread, and certainly not in mainstream, use until Ferguson rioters and activists popularized it.

I said it was in use for decades in my experience, and then proved you wrong with verifiable evidence. Sorry, you are too conservative to ever be wrong, but the evidence is upthread. For the record, when I first heard it used in this context, no one would ever have used it in association with myself, as I was a Reagan Republican at the time.

gradually gaining more and more use as a compliment until the right-wing (I mean the totally not right-wing like Derec) noticed and had to turn it into a pejorative.

Those opposed to the left wing (not all of those are right-wing!) only started using it as a pejorative after it came into common usage via Ferguson insurrectionists. And there was nothing gradual about it either.

I gave you verifiable evidence of the time frame I initially referenced for it having been in use. You have nothing. Admit it, you were wrong.

The woke have canceled Roy ‘Chubby’ Brown;

Roy 'Chubby' Brown fans have branded those who called for the Sheffield gig to be cancelled as "snowflakes".

North Yorkshire comedian Roy 'Chubby' Brown's show in the city was axed after thousands signed a petition calling for it to be cancelled. Sheffield City Hall then decided his comedy was not suited to the venue and scrapped the show.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/sheffields-fury-woke-decision-axe-21464729

This statement pretty much captures the putrid essence of woke;

Councillor Terry Fox, leader of Sheffield City Council, added: “The council wholeheartedly supports Sheffield City Trust’s decision to remove the booking for Roy Chubby Brown’s January show. Sheffield is a City of Sanctuary, with diverse communities and the content of this show is unlikely to reflect Sheffield’s inclusive values.”

What a trumpet.

Isn't the lack of ticket sales all the petitions you need? If you need to make a petition to stop a guy from performing at a paid gig you've already lost the popular appeal. It's an activity intended to prevent something enough people are cool with, but this dick wants to use local government power, to stop it anyway. The fact that anybody has bought any tickets means that they should back off and let him perform. What a bunch of assholes.

BTW, I've seen one of his shows. I sat the whole time in shocked disbelief at the things that guy was saying. Not a progressive guy. I turned it off. I think this guy is a racist. I still think he should be allowed to perform. I'm completely cool about people not agreeing with me and my values.

This was probably the best thing that ever happened to Roy 'Chubby' Brown. I certainly had never heard of him before this.

The land of the free.

Hmmm... USA is a special country. It's a country held together by an ideal, rather than the territory gathered up by some bloated maffioso placing a bunch of peasants in a ruthless and extortative relationship. As far as nation building USA truly is a gem for lots of reasons unrelated to jingoism. You can sing the American anthem without loading it with any of the implications that come from any of the European anthems (except the French). All European anthems have problematic lines (except the French).

I don't think the Star-Spangled banner is necessarily jingoistic. As far as anthems go, it's one of the least problematic... by far.

I also love that it's one of the few anthems that isn't looking back to some long lost glorious past. It includes references to cutting edge technological fancy thingamagigs. It unashamedly looks forward toward a bright and glorious future. It's fun and engaging like any excellent musicals.

It's also fun singing songs together. That's true for any anthem. You don't need to add any symbolism to it other than that it's nice to have at least one single song everybody can get behind.

Me personally I believe that the world will not truly be free until the last king has been strangled by the entrails of the last priest. But even I enjoy singing the Swedish anthem. Also the Danish, even though I am not Danish. By heritage, the Danes are my sworn enemies. Their anthem is supposed to be the font of all evil for a Swede. I don't care. It's fun to sing together.

If you have a problem with the American anthem, this planet is not for you.

The story you link is not about the woke, why do you imagine that it is? Would it be a result of the following sentence that appears within?
Quilette Opinion Piece said:
Long before the woke Left was imagining systemic oppression everywhere, the anti-sex movement (an alliance of the religious Right and radical feminists) was identifying a deeply serious—yet strangely hard to quantify—problem: our fourth trend, sex trafficking.

If so, I don't think that says anything at all about the woke, except for the author's own idea about what the woke "imagine". Which is fucking stupid because there is systemic oppression, and you somehow think that the disposable comment that they see it "everywhere" make this relevant to the discussion. It does not do so. The linked article adds nothing to the conversation, other than showing once again that some will search for any negative quote about the woke that fits their preconceived notions, and link it here without any sense of what the article surrounding it even means.

Back
Top Bottom