• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Woke is white arrogance

Wow. Life does exist outside Television and the internet ya know. Christians and Atheists for example mingle with each other offline and off-air on a daily basis without any of this hyperbole you just mentioned. You need to go outside bruh.

Seriously?
I'm a gay non-theist from a conservative Catholic family, living in southern Indiana(practically Mike Pence's hometown).
I am very much aware of all this. But not everyone is.
Tom

I can't tell if you're trying to rebuke or make a pass at me.

This style of mocking and holier-than-thou antipathy towards the idea of being “woke” to the needs, concerns and pain of others is interesting to behold. It is a repeated poke-poke-poke to agitate and keep agitated to make sure that those who care about justice and the well being of others know that they are mocked and disdained by a few dominance-fetishers who think care is a weakness. It’s the equivalent of the schoolyard bully who constantly bumps and pushes those they deem “weaker” and calls them “fag” or “pussy.”

It manifests here on TFT as this constant barrage of posts by a very small number of posters repeating the same shallow insults over and over. “Wokester.” “Virtue Signaling.” It used to include “PC” as an insult. See how I disdain your care for others. See how weak I think you are. See how I can knock your schoolbooks out of your hand onto the hallway floor and you won’t do it back to me? That means I’m powerful. That means I’m alpha. In my head, anyway.

When a discussion in one of these threads directs towards why compassion is valuable, and why being aware and supportive of the lived experiences of others is not something people are ashamed of, the schoolyard-style bullies keep name-calling for a while, then drop it, and go start another thread with their current mocking words; they run to another student and knock over their books and stand around with their chest out thinking everyone admires their “strength” and dominance.

So - yeah yeah yeah. Wokester. Virtue Signalling. PC run amok.

I am **GLAD** to be awake to the realities of others. I was insulated for so long not realizing what my world was like for others.
I am **GLAD** to signal to others what virtues I find important; among them care, concern, justice
I am **GLAD** to know what language hurts, and avoid it in favor of lannguage that doesn’t hurt. Hooray for Politically Correct norms.

And I’ll keep thinking this next week, when I watch the bullies again posture and preen with their displays of mocking and disdain, their acts of dominance-seeking where they try to knock others down so they can feel strong and worthwhile. And I’ll keep thinking, “how sad is that. They have to work so hard to feel worthwhile. They never feel content and loved. Gotta shove people to the ground so they can feel tall. No one taught them how to build to feel big, they only learned how to destroy others. And they don’t even realize that no one looks at that display and thinks they are powerful. Or - maybe they do know that, but they only know one way to feel powerful and they just have to keep using it, even while they know it doesn’t work.”

I know this and other posts will continue to sprout up. Mock the caring, disdain cooperative aspirations. Try to sell dominance as the only virtue. Beat the chest. Howl the monkey howls.

The dogs bark, but the caravan goes on.

I think you miss the point. Being opposed to woke, isn't to bully or hurt people. It's the other way around. It's to stop the bullying and hurting of people. The wokes are the bad guys.

What you are saying only applies if you really are awake to the realities of others. How do you know you are? How do you know you're not part of an act? An act where white people pat themselves on the back for being virtuous and awesome. How do you know that CRT actually proves what it says it proves? Woke language stops free expression which hampers any progress of any kind. Being woke prevents you from being to evaluate whether or not being woke is useful.

It's not about wanting to say hurty things to people.

But you've underlined the problem with the woke position. It's a black and white world where the woke are the good, and the non woke are the bad who wants to hurt people, and their only motivation for not being woke is because they are evil. It's a simplistic world view. It's painfully naive IMHO

The fundamental problem here is that being "woke" is not something white people are in a position, in most cases, to evaluate. You'll note "woke" here in this post is a slur.

You know, at one point I didn't think cultural appropriation could really be a thing. And while I still believe any person has every right to do any thing that serves function in their life beyond mere social signalling, this right here IS a problem and COULD appropriately fit under that banner.

Because DrZ and others here are appropriating a compliment into a fucking slur.

He is painting "being labeled as woke" as something white people do for white people. I would agree with his assessment in fact if that were the case. But it's not. It's not any (ok, not not ANY, but I'm running roughshod over corner case exceptions RN) white person's business calling any other white person woke. Not as a compliment and certainly not as a slur. Imagine if black people just started using the word "white", and/or ,"mayonnaise" to mean "shit". Or some such. I'm sure each and every person here is probably capable of coming up with a better example.

It's disrespectful.

It's fucking racist.

You know you aren't a part of an act when it is your actions and behaviors that are subsequently complimented by others.

Yet here DrZ is being exactly what he criticizes in the people he slurs with another culture, another language's words. He is saying hurty things. Why do you say hurty things to people DrZ? Isn't that what you are decrying here?

You've underlined the problem with any white person who talks about "wokeness" and who is and is not that, and especially yourself: it's painfully naive IMHO.

Wow. Life does exist outside Television and the internet ya know. Christians and Atheists for example mingle with each other offline and off-air on a daily basis without any of this hyperbole you just mentioned. You need to go outside bruh.

Seriously?
I'm a gay non-theist from a conservative Catholic family, living in southern Indiana(practically Mike Pence's hometown).
I am very much aware of all this. But not everyone is.
Tom

I can't tell if you're trying to rebuke or make a pass at me.

Neither.
Just pointing out the reality.
Tom

If you have a problem with the American anthem, this planet is not for you.
What an utterly ridiculous and ignorant thing to say. Francis Scott Key shoved a dictionary and a lot of punctuation into a terribly sick pig, and then gathered up what was blown out the rear end of said pig to tell the story of our getting our butts whooped in the War of 1812 and put it to an impossible to sing acoustic harmony of a drinking song. The thing has several verses that no one knows. It is awful! It is so bad, the only good thing about it was it inspired this moment.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxHnXajIex4[/YOUTUBE]

American the Beautiful is sweet, to the point, easy to sing, and gets us from the beginning to the end without needing a water break.
God Bless America is self-serving, but checks most of the boxes. The Flyers' had Kate Smith perform God Bless America, not the Star Spangled Banner... and it is an icon moment for Philadelphia Flyers' history.

I didn't say it's perfect.
You said, "If you have a problem with the American anthem, this planet is not for you."

It is a shit song, a shit anthem, we (America) have better options available

All the other national anthems are worse.
Canada's isn't worse.

While non-woke directors are effectively blocked from any platform.

It's a shame that Tarantino could never become successful.

I see I missed a word. I meant "While non-woke black directors are effectively blocked from any platform."

sorry. Now the sentence makes sense

Your "analysis" of history is based on emotional, Reich-wing propaganda and not on actual facts on the ground.

Here is an analysis that while flawed, at least links to real people and facts:
‘They Set Us Up to Fail’: Black Directors of the ’90s Speak Out

Or in other words, "any white person who applies the term to any other person is arrogant", to the extent that a westerner calling themselves a medicine man in front of First Peoples deserves the slap, social or physical, they are about to receive.

If that were the thread title, I would be in full agreement with the OP.

In a way, it's like the label "Christian". There's no clear meaning. Anybody can call themselves that. But those who don't self identify as Christian are less likely to know the majority of perfectly nice Christian people. Mostly they hear about the assholish ones who are really noisy and self centered. The kind who will scream about gay marriage destroying the family, while they're working on their third divorce.

Except it's rare to find anyone who calls themselves "Woke"; it's more like the term "Fundamentalist" than "Christian", a formerly earnest self-descriptor that was popular for 1-2 years then converted by political tides into a implied pejorative that is therefore avoided by most, even if the term is often applied to them by hostile interlocutors.

Or have warning labels on those books, like "full of insulting stereotypes". It would be good to have these as a record of the bad old days of when they were published.

Or have warning labels on those books, like "full of insulting stereotypes". It would be good to have these as a record of the bad old days of when they were published.

That works, too! Just say no to burning books. Just say yes to accurate content warnings prominently displayed.

Even as a child, I never understood the issue with books, because content that is upsetting does not have to be read. In my schools, the curriculum including short stories and books that would now cause someone somewhere some consternation. As far as I know, none of us were harmed by being introduced to these subjects.
So, I wonder if we, as a species, are simply becoming less sustainable.

That works, too! Just say no to burning books. Just say yes to accurate content warnings prominently displayed.

Why do we need warnings?

I remember when Boston had a severe movie rating committee. They banned a couple of good films. After that, even movies that hadn't come to the attention of Bostonian prudes put "Banned in Boston" on their posters, because it was good for ticket sales.

Similarly, putting "Parental Advisory" warnings on music CDs helped boost sales.
Warning labels, like many other things, don't always have the effects intended.
Tom

Why do we need warnings?

I remember when Boston had a severe movie rating committee. They banned a couple of good films. After that, even movies that hadn't come to the attention of Bostonian prudes put "Banned in Boston" on their posters, because it was good for ticket sales.

Similarly, putting "Parental Advisory" warnings on music CDs helped boost sales.
Warning labels, like many other things, don't always have the effects intended.
Tom

"Has content your parents don't want you to see because prudery and conflicting generational understandings of propriety" is completely different from "has problematic and insulting viewpoints expressed".

At any rate, it removes the plausible deniability as to the nature of the content and the excuse for those using it and referencing it to say they didn't know.

That said, one of my teenage heroes, Spike Lee. He's super politically correct and super woke. Has been all the time. His rise to fame was because of the PC culture of the 80'ies. The PC culture, in all it's suffocating fakery, served him well. The 80'ies gave him a voice and a platform he wouldn't otherwise have had.

Spike Lee is PC? Are you sure about that? Is that why Do The Right Thing beat out Driving Miss Daisy for the Oscar? Oh that's right, it didn't because the PC movie that won the Oscar was actually the one that made white people feel good about putting their racism in the past, not the one that confronted modern day racism.

Your conflation of PC with woke just proves again that you have no idea what woke means.

I see I missed a word. I meant "While non-woke black directors are effectively blocked from any platform."

But it is still a shame that Tarantino could never become successful.

Agreed. I heard his movies are really thought-provoking, and that he likes to push boundaries, so it's a terrible tragedy that they were never shown on the silver screen, and are impossible to find running on any movie channel or streaming service.

But it is still a shame that Tarantino could never become successful.

Agreed. I heard his movies are really thought-provoking, and that he likes to push boundaries, so it's a terrible tragedy that they were never shown on the silver screen, and are impossible to find running on any movie channel or streaming service.
Guy can't even get anyone to act in his films for fear of being black listed themselves.

Back
Top Bottom