• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

WTF... Bob's your uncle...

Its even more confusing if you actually have an Uncle Bob.

"...And Bob's your uncle."
"HOW DID YOU KNOW?"

The best thing about rhyming slang is everyone can be an expert on meanings and origins. Since only about 1% gets into print and preserved, no one story is any wetter than your brother. You can take a cup as you go along.

Yes, no one story is any better than any other, and I am sure people make it up as they go along. But is English the only language you can do that and get away with it because somehow, the brain translates that crap?

Yes, no one story is any better than any other, and I am sure people make it up as they go along. But is English the only language you can do that and get away with it because somehow, the brain translates that crap?

I'm sure you could do it in any language, but why would you want to?

I am not so sure you can. Which is why I asked the OP question. I only know English and a bit of Spanish and Farsi. To my knowledge, they have nothing like this, but I know very little.

Language is something we learn very young, and there are theories out there that the language you learn influences the way your brain self-programs.

Hence the question.

Bob's your uncle.
Take the piss.

Cockney rhyming slang. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhyming_slang

Where did this shit come from? And why is it still around?

Faking brits. Does any other language besides english engage in these shenanigans?

Still very popular in Australia.

Sorry got to Harold Holt up the frog and toad and round the jimmy horner to have a Captain Cook at the babbling brook with the dead horse.

I am not so sure you can. Which is why I asked the OP question. I only know English and a bit of Spanish and Farsi. To my knowledge, they have nothing like this, but I know very little.

Language is something we learn very young, and there are theories out there that the language you learn influences the way your brain self-programs.

Hence the question.

The solution would be to look at the tradition of rhyming verse in other languages and especially nonsense rhyme. In English, we learn such things as "hickory dickory dock, the mouse ran up the clock," at a young age. This could be simple nonsense, or it could be "Hickory Dickory Dock, the mouse, ran up the clock," and now makes perfect sense, at least grammatical sense about a mouse with a long name. Another English nonsense rhyme is a the contemptuous dismissal of adding a nonsense rhyme to any word, as in "fancy shmancy." The word shmancy has no meaning outside this usage, but any English speaker would recognise it and understand.

Hence the question.

The solution would be to look at the tradition of rhyming verse in other languages and especially nonsense rhyme. In English, we learn such things as "hickory dickory dock, the mouse ran up the clock," at a young age. This could be simple nonsense, or it could be "Hickory Dickory Dock, the mouse, ran up the clock," and now makes perfect sense, at least grammatical sense about a mouse with a long name. Another English nonsense rhyme is a the contemptuous dismissal of adding a nonsense rhyme to any word, as in "fancy shmancy." The word shmancy has no meaning outside this usage, but any English speaker would recognise it and understand.
Fancy schmancy (and similar) comes from Yiddish rather than English, doesn't it?

The explanation for Cockney rhyming slang that I have heard is that it was a language used by criminals to prevent anybody who overheard knowing what they were talking about.

Knowing cockneys as I do, that is an eminently plausible explanation.

If that's not the reason, then I haven't got a Scooby, I'm afraid.

This rhyming slang stuff needs to be eighty-sixed.

Hence the question.

A few other languages that I know of, specifically Hindi, often are spoken with an added rhyming nonsense word. I've never come across anything like Cockney slang though, where the intended word has been substituted with the rhyme instead. Most other languages should be able to support it though I can see some, like Spanish, being remarkably confusing.

I'd go on, but I need to get some pani wani.

I'm Czech born, but I live in Britain. So English is technically my second language. It frazzles my brain! Everyone is up to speaking the language in their own way.....slang and rhyming slang is heard everywhere. The National newspapers (The Tabloids) are rife with it. Its like a national pastime or game.....who can come up with the best slang? Sigh.

We don't have rhyming slang in the USA, which makes the standard explanation (Cockneys trying to throw off the cops) seem quite plausible. Americans have developed their own slang for criminal or questionable activities, but rhyming slang appears to have developed in London during the mid-1800s and never crossed the pond this direction.

That it exists in Oz strengthens the "cockney criminal" theory, since an entire shitload of Cockney criminals were shipped to Botany Bay on a regular basis to form the workforce of Aussie colonies and make the Poms feel better about prosecuting people (and kids) for crimes such as stealing a loaf of bread. "It's not like we killed the lad, after all, we gave him a chance!"

Slang exists in every language, and seems to thrive among the lower classes, most likely because they are likely to be under the eye of the police. Some American slang is a holdover from British slang, such as "cop" or "copper" for the police, who wore uniforms with copper buttons in the UK. But most of our slang has come from the lower classes, with an amazing amount co-opted from American Blacks. One of my favorite factoids is that both "Jazz" and "Rock-and-roll" began among Black Americans as slang terms for the sex act.

We don't have rhyming slang in the USA, which makes the standard explanation (Cockneys trying to throw off the cops) seem quite plausible. Americans have developed their own slang for criminal or questionable activities, but rhyming slang appears to have developed in London during the mid-1800s and never crossed the pond this direction.

That it exists in Oz strengthens the "cockney criminal" theory, since an entire shitload of Cockney criminals were shipped to Botany Bay on a regular basis to form the workforce of Aussie colonies and make the Poms feel better about prosecuting people (and kids) for crimes such as stealing a loaf of bread. "It's not like we killed the lad, after all, we gave him a chance!"

Slang exists in every language, and seems to thrive among the lower classes, most likely because they are likely to be under the eye of the police. Some American slang is a holdover from British slang, such as "cop" or "copper" for the police, who wore uniforms with copper buttons in the UK. But most of our slang has come from the lower classes, with an amazing amount co-opted from American Blacks. One of my favorite factoids is that both "Jazz" and "Rock-and-roll" began among Black Americans as slang terms for the sex act.

Every social class develops its own slang, but only lower class usage is called slang.

The main reason the Poms had for establishing the Botany Bay penal colony was that the American Revolution had closed off their previous dumping ground for the overflow of criminals from British prisons; I wonder if any of the uniquely American slang you take for granted originated with earlier thieves' cants. Had rhyming slang developed a century earlier than it did, you seppos would probably use it too.

I am doubtful about the word copper having anything to do with uniform buttons, which would have been brass; more plausibly it is a corruption of (or shares a latin common root with) 'capture'.

'to cop' meaning 'to take' is common usage in the UK - for example 'cop a butchers at that' meaning 'take a look at that'; or 'cop a feel', meaning 'take a feel' (usually in reference to the breasts of one's chosen sexual partner, and with a vague overtone of the absence of consent 'She was pissed as a newt*, so I took the opportunity to cop a feel'). One who takes would therefore be a 'Copper' - although to my knowledge, nobody refers to the one taken as a 'Copee' :D

*I have no idea why aquatic amphibians of the family Salamandridae are chosen to epitomise intoxication; nor why Americans are enraged when they should be intoxicated.

The main reason the Poms had for establishing the Botany Bay penal colony was that the American Revolution had closed off their previous dumping ground for the overflow of criminals from British prisons; I wonder if any of the uniquely American slang you take for granted originated with earlier thieves' cants. Had rhyming slang developed a century earlier than it did, you seppos would probably use it too.

I am doubtful about the word copper having anything to do with uniform buttons, which would have been brass; more plausibly it is a corruption of (or shares a latin common root with) 'capture'.

'to cop' meaning 'to take' is common usage in the UK - for example 'cop a butchers at that' meaning 'take a look at that'; or 'cop a feel', meaning 'take a feel' (usually in reference to the breasts of one's chosen sexual partner, and with a vague overtone of the absence of consent 'She was pissed as a newt*, so I took the opportunity to cop a feel'). One who takes would therefore be a 'Copper' - although to my knowledge, nobody refers to the one taken as a 'Copee' :D

*I have no idea why aquatic amphibians of the family Salamandridae are chosen to epitomise intoxication; nor why Americans are enraged when they should be intoxicated.

We get "drunk as a skunk," which is our own rhyming slang. The term for angry is "pissed off," usually shortened to "pissed." We have a saying, "It's better to be pissed off, than pissed on," which means get mad instead of sitting there and enduring it.

We get "drunk as a skunk," which is our own rhyming slang. The term for angry is "pissed off," usually shortened to "pissed." We have a saying, "It's better to be pissed off, than pissed on," which means get mad instead of sitting there and enduring it.

The Poms (and Aussies) use 'pissed off'; but we don't shorten it to 'pissed' because that word is taken.

"I was really pissed last night" and "I was really pissed off last night" are both very common usages in England, but the former is likely to result from drinking 15 pints of strong ale, while the latter is likely to result from someone jumping the queue at the taxi rank.

Back
Top Bottom