• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Year 11 boys ordered to stand up and labelled 'oppressors' if they are white, Christian, and male.

Metaphor

Banned
Banned
You might think I've reported on this incident before, but no: this is another episode of a captive audience of boys being publically shamed like the Brauer College incident. This time around, however, the boys were only publically shamed as oppressors, but were not required to confess their sins.

The original article is paywalled but a discussion with the original education reporter is here, and summarised below:

Herald Sun Education Reporter Suzan Delibasic says a Kingston City Council youth worker has told Year 11 boys to stand up and labelled them “oppressors” if they were Christian, white and male. Ms Delibasic said the kids at Parkdale Secondary College were left “shocked” by the situation. “They were completely shocked and just so disheartened,” she said. “Parents are disgusted, the community in Kingston is reeling, it’s just caused a lot of anger amongst everybody in the school community.” Ms Delibasic said the school did not know the situation was going to take place. “They have already, as I understand it, lodged a formal complaint with the council, and they’re asking for it to be investigated,” she said. “Last night I spoke to a female student, she’s 16, and she said they were terrified to stand up and say anything. “At the start, they thought it was a joke and they thought this can’t be serious, this is so messed up. “They were too afraid to stand up because they didn’t want to be labelled as homophobic and they didn’t want to be labelled as anything else.”

You might think I've reported on this incident before, but no: this is another episode of a captive audience of boys being publically shamed like the Brauer College incident. This time around, however, the boys were only publically shamed as oppressors, but were not required to confess their sins.

The original article is paywalled but a discussion with the original education reporter is here, and summarised below:

Herald Sun Education Reporter Suzan Delibasic says a Kingston City Council youth worker has told Year 11 boys to stand up and labelled them “oppressors” if they were Christian, white and male. Ms Delibasic said the kids at Parkdale Secondary College were left “shocked” by the situation. “They were completely shocked and just so disheartened,” she said. “Parents are disgusted, the community in Kingston is reeling, it’s just caused a lot of anger amongst everybody in the school community.” Ms Delibasic said the school did not know the situation was going to take place. “They have already, as I understand it, lodged a formal complaint with the council, and they’re asking for it to be investigated,” she said. “Last night I spoke to a female student, she’s 16, and she said they were terrified to stand up and say anything. “At the start, they thought it was a joke and they thought this can’t be serious, this is so messed up. “They were too afraid to stand up because they didn’t want to be labelled as homophobic and they didn’t want to be labelled as anything else.”

what continent did this occur on?

what continent did this occur on?

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oy Oy Oy

It is fascinating how the out-group preference uniquely held by people of Western European descent has resulted in such ridiculous ethnomasochism.

It is fascinating how the out-group preference uniquely held by people of Western European descent has resulted in such ridiculous ethnomasochism.

Well a lot of it is prompted by fellow whites pushing this with all possible force...

2b7.jpg

Subtract them and whites are a lot less ethnomasochistic.

OMG, something stupid and demeaning happened to white people... twice. White genocide!!!

It is an exercise to ignite thinking in children.

That is not allowed in the US.

No thinking allowed.

MAGA!

OMG, something stupid and demeaning happened to white people... twice. White genocide!!!

Wow. Sounds like someone didn't like their lead in The Reluctant Dragon. Any story told in Black and White with characters named Dumbo is nothing short of genocide. There is no justice.

Well a lot of it is prompted by fellow whites pushing this with all possible force...
I agree.
It is more the problem of whites who hate themselves more than the problem of other minorities who hate whites. And unfortunately, many of the whites who hate themselves are hypocrites and very powerful. As a good example, M. Zuckerberg (who is white) loves to support open boarders yet has his own personal estate fortified with a massive wall. So does Pelosi.

I agree.
It is more the problem of whites who hate themselves more than the problem of other minorities who hate whites. And unfortunately, many of the whites who hate themselves are hypocrites and very powerful. As a good example, M. Zuckerberg (who is white) loves to support open boarders yet has his own personal estate fortified with a massive wall. So does Pelosi.

I don't think that's a good example at all.
Zuckerberg and Pelosi are both prominent national figures. We live in a world riddled with extremists and guns. They're more at risk from citizens than immigrants.
It's not at all a good example of hypocrisy.

A better example would be Trump. He both opposed letting in low wage workers while importing foreign staff for Mar-a-Lago claiming that there weren't enough service folks in Florida to staff his resort home.
Tom

In that case, the exercise sounds inappropriate, but probably not damaging. It's not really a correct presentation of the social science of oppression either, making blank judgemental statements of this sort, but if the presenter is themselves inexperienced, that is not necessarily surprising. I'd be more concerned about the potential for making students the targets of peer harassment, not to mention now media attention, by the manner of presentation. It would be illegal in my country to ask a student publically about their gender and religious affiliation, probably at all, but certainly with the specific intent of using that knowledge to then marginalize them.

This is a Reddit User styled post where the comment is from someone who is only responding to other users and did not deep dive into the issue at hand. No one and I means no one should be judged on the merits of others. Each person should be judged on the merits of their own actions. I think we all agree on that's (I hope). With that said, we all got struggles, some more than others. The more than others thing is where a lot of misunderstandings happen. There is an expectation that everyone can see mistreatment the same. I'm here to tell you that it's not the case. There are a lot of people (myself as an example) seeing the issue presented in this OP and saying, SO FUCKING WHAT?! AT LEAST THEY DIDN'T TAKE HIM TO THE WOODS AND BEAT HIM INTO AN UNRECOGNISABLE STATE HIS MOMMA WON'T RECOGNISE FROM WHERE HE HAD TO VANISH FOR THREE WEEKS ON PURPOSE BEFORE COMMING HOME SO HIS MOMMA DOESN'T HAVE TO EXPERIENCE IT. My mother filed for a missing person and I showed up with healed scores. To this day she believes I was involved in a gang and the police had nothing to do with it. I was scared to death for her not me so I didn't say a mutha fucking this. So yeah, you may not believe this. But I don't care about the struggles shown in the OP, but I understand it's wrong.

You learn something new every day. I didn't realize that the term "white boys" were not part of "white people".

You learn something new every day. I didn't realize that the term "white boys" were not part of "white people".

I'm happy to help you try and understand the importance of the difference. For example, "black people" are part of "people", but the kind of people who were enslaved in America were black people. You are wrong to think "white boys" are not part of "white people", but you dismiss the importance of the difference.

In this scenario, "male people" were made to stand up and be shamed, in distinction to "people", as female people were excluded from the shaming.

After males were targeted for shaming (as the boys were not asked to stand or stay seated in relation to their race but in relation to their sex), additional shame was served to boys who were white and who had Christian beliefs.

I hope you can now appreciate the importance of saying white boys and not white people.

Shame is something a person feels.

Nobody can be forced to feel shame.

And certainly not snickering teenagers.

Back
Top Bottom