• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Yet another shooting thread

I’d be super impressed if Trump’s shooter could have taken him out with his hands from 150 yards.
Or even with a .22 or a .45 handgun.
On the other hand, something like a 30-06 bolt action with a scope would have been a far better choice than an intermediate range weapon such as the AR15.
Yup. Just goes to show how irrational Murka’s gun fetish types have become.
I blame it on the Crooks dad; we’d be rid of the scourge had he made a more sensible choice.

That is one of the stupidest use of statistics I have ever seen. One can easily say being alive makes you statistically more dangerous than a person with any firearm.
It was obviously tongue in cheek in the way I phrased it, but the fact remains that more people get punched and kicked to death than get killed with a rifle of any kind.
HyHT.gif

Contrary to the claims made by some (e.g. Elixir).

That is one of the stupidest use of statistics I have ever seen. One can easily say being alive makes you statistically more dangerous than a person with any firearm.
It was obviously tongue in cheek in the way I phrased it, but the fact remains that more people get punched and kicked to death than get killed with a rifle of any kind.
HyHT.gif

Contrary to the claims made by some (e.g. Elixir).
Doubling down on the stupid does not make it smarter.

I'm fairly certain that if rifles were as freely available as hands without many obstacles to obtaining them, like background checks and $$$, those statistics would be different. I'm convinced that more regulations on firearms in general could lead to a decrease in homicides involving guns in general. Thanks for sharing.

Edit: And also everyone being free to roam around with rifles like we are with hands. ;)

Doubling down on the stupid does not make it smarter.
I linked to FBI uniform crime report in post #368. You continue to double down on ignorance by denying facts.
The obvious point is that fact is irrelevant. It doesn’t matter that it is s fact. It gas as much relevance to any discussion about gun control as the fact that shooters with functional eyesight are more numerous than blind shooters.

I'm fairly certain that if rifles were as freely available as hands without many obstacles to obtaining them, like background checks and $$$, those statistics would be different. I'm convinced that more regulations on firearms in general could lead to a decrease in homicides involving guns in general. Thanks for sharing.

Edit: And also everyone being free to roam around with rifles like we are with hands. ;)
Criminals use handguns because they can be concealed. It's pretty hard to bring a rifle to a robbery.

Other than cost rifles are no harder to obtain than handguns. They can even be easier.

And the problem with the idea that regulations will reduce crime is that the vast majority of crime is committed with guns that were not obtained legally in the first place. How are regulations supposed to change the behavior of people who are already breaking the rules?

Are you suggesting taking hands out of criminals? So medieval of you.

And the problem with the idea that regulations will reduce crime is that the vast majority of crime is committed with guns that were not obtained legally in the first place. How are regulations supposed to change the behavior of people who are already breaking the rules?
By changing the environment in which rule breakers must operate.

The problem with the idea that regulations will not reduce crime is that the vast majority of countries observably have reduced gun crime by regulating firearms.

When observation and hypothesis are in conflict, observation always wins.

If you cannot understand the causal mechanism, that only speaks to your lack of understanding, not to the lack of a mechanism.

Criminals use handguns because they can be concealed. It's pretty hard to bring a rifle to a robbery.

Other than cost rifles are no harder to obtain than handguns. They can even be easier.

Yes, why bother enforcing the laws when criminals will just break them anyway? :rolleyes:

Yes, why bother enforcing the laws when criminals will just break them anyway? :rolleyes:

Even back in the "good ole" Wild West days of the US, between the 1860s and 1890s, there were gun laws in place. You couldn't even stroll into town without checking your firearm! Imagine that—folks back then had stricter gun laws, and here we are today with people crying about our candy ass gun laws.

Back
Top Bottom