• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

You don't always need guns ...

Some of the first militias were raised to put down citizen rebellions. Shaw and the whiskey rebellion .

The Allen TX shooter was a lawful gun owner, until he wasn't.
I am also in favor of barring people from gun ownership for mental health reasons.

And how would you propose enforcing such a ban?

That said, if you look at all firearm homicides, not just mass shootings (those killed or wounded in those are a small fraction of the total) I wonder how many of them owned guns legally.

And what good would such a ban have if criminals can get guns illegally anyway so easily? We are always told by the pro-gun crowd that the fact that criminals can get guns illegally means we shouldn’t have bans at all.

A car ramming, also in Texas.
Death toll increases to 8 after car plows into a crowd in front of a Texas shelter that was housing migrants
CNN said:
A driver plowed into a group outside a shelter that had been housing migrants in a Texas border town on Sunday, leaving eight people dead – including several immigrants – and close to a dozen injured, authorities say.
Authorities in Brownsville, Texas say they got a call around 8:30 am CT about a Land Rover that hit multiple people who were waiting at a bus stop across the street from the Bishop Enrique San Pedro Ozanam Center, a non-profit homeless shelter that has been helping house migrants. Authorities say it’s unclear whether the crash was intentional.
Seven people were found dead at the scene and 10 were taken to hospitals, Martin Sandoval, a Brownsville police spokesperson, told CNN. Later Sunday, an eighth person died due to injuries from the crash, Sandoval told CNN.
[...]
The driver, identified as a Hispanic man, is being “uncooperative” with authorities, according to Sandoval. He has given authorities multiple names, and police have had to fingerprint him in hopes of finding his identity – which takes more time, Sandoval said.
Almost as many dead as Garcia. Although it is not yet sure it was a deliberate attack and not for example a DUI.
Are you pretending this is news to us? Yes, we know cars are dangerous, that's why their manufacture, use, and licensure is highly regulated, and car modifications with no other purpose than increasing that danger are in most states flatly llegal.
Cars serve a very different purpose in society than guns so I’m always baffled by the comparison. I don’t regularly use a gun to drop my kids off at school, go to work, or pick up groceries. I’d hate to live in a world in which I did.

I will go a step further and say that guns do not belong in the hands of civilians, with the exception of farmers defending their livestock and crops against certain types of animals or people living in remote areas who need to carry guns to defend themselves against predators.
There are a lot of us that venture into wilderness areas even though we don't live there. I routinely hike in mountain lion territory--but in general mountain lions class humans as predators, not prey, and leave us alone. I'd be pretty leery of venturing into mountain lion territory in late winter, though, when they might be desperate. (Irrelevant for me as the only conditions I would avoid hiking into for mountain lion reasons I utterly would not for avalanche reasons.)

We are always told by the pro-gun crowd that the fact that criminals can get guns illegally means we shouldn’t have bans at all.
Yup. We should also make it lawful to take as much money as you want out of a bank vault, because bank robberies still happen despite being illegal, so making them illegal was a pointless exercise.

Back
Top Bottom