• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

You find yourself in the cretaceous

On the nuts and fruits question, the situation may not be as sunny as it might first appear. Scurvy was one of the first problems I thought about when pondering the scenario, actually. Some Cretaceous fruiting plants that would have occupied North America and are still either around or have closely related descendants include

A. gigantea
P. nigrum
C. occidentalis
Magnolia spp.
W. nobilis
M.glyptostroboides
G. biloba

One thing almost all of these plants have in common is that their raw fruits or nuts are not edible to humans without extensive processing that would be hard to arrange in a primeval context. Magnolias have edible (and tasty) blossoms, but only bloom two months out of the year and were probably never common sights. So that leaves really just the black pepper and maybe a few biloba berries to eat before you get sick off them.

There were probably plenty of other theoretically edible fruits, berries, roots, and nuts, but if you aren't dealing with plants you recognize, determining toxicity is a difficult, time-consuming, and dangerous game.

In this situation, I think I would be taking a risk and trying to go for fish. There's some dangerous competition for them in the Cretaceous, but I have a hard time seeing how certain nutrients could otherwise be got reliably, especially out of season. Beetles would also be an option, and as primary pollinators, were pretty abundant during this time period and often contain the same vital plant nutrients. But they are also frequently toxic in the modern world, so you'd have to be nearly as careful with unknown insect species as with the plants themselves.

How about eggs to get some nutrients? (boiled , since one can bring some things).

Also a possibility! I've never heard of a poisonous animal egg, aside from a handful of modern fish and amphibians.

How about eggs to get some nutrients? (boiled , since one can bring some things).
Also a possibility! I've never heard of a poisonous animal egg, aside from a handful of modern fish and amphibians.
But then collecting those eggs could be awfully risky. There is evidence that dinosaurs (at least some) protected their eggs and hatchlings. Today there is little more dangerous than a protective mother critter. There is a good chance that protective mother critters during the Cretaceous were no different.

Which direction will you travel to move into the past?
That is a question someone in the 19th century would ask. In the very early 20th century there was a revelation that we live in a 4D universe of spacetime. Until the 19th century people easily moved along the X and Y axis but had difficulty moving along the Z axis to any extent. The early 20th century brought us the means to much more easily move along the Z axis and the understanding that there was a T axis to spacetime (until then, people thought space and time were unrelated).

So to answer your question, we would move in the negative direction along the T axis.

Go ahead Mr. Twenty First Century.

Tell me about time travel.

How is it done?

You have said nothing pertaining to the real world. No T axis in sight.

Go ahead Mr. Twenty First Century.

Tell me about time travel.

How is it done?
More 19th century thinking... anything we haven't done can't be done. In the 19th century anyone trying to achieve heavier than air flight was frequently ridiculed because 'everyone knew it was impossible'.

Is time travel possible, other than in the positive direction at one second/second or through relativistic time dilation? I don't know but there are those who are thinking about it. Maybe they are wasting their time or maybe they will surprise us.

They saw birds flying all over the place.

Nobody has the slightest clue what it means to move into the past.

It is not something anyone has any experience with.

It is totally empty speculation.

The second you actually try to do it you realize you have no clue what to even try to do that is real.

More 19th century thinking. 'We don't have experience with it so it is impossible".

No. Nobody has any experience with it so it is different from flight where people saw birds flying everyday.

It is impossible to add matter or energy to the universe.

So you can't use energy to change the past.

That would be adding energy to the universe as it existed in the past.

Can't be done. Impossible to change the past in any way.

Even if it existed somehow you couldn't change the past in any way.

Impossible.

We don't know whether it is possible or not. It depends on the nature of time. Perhaps we do happen to live in a Block Universe, etc....

IT IS JUST A SIMULATION.
lol, gurgle. cats. fuck em.

We don't know whether it is possible or not. It depends on the nature of time. Perhaps we do happen to live in a Block Universe, etc....

No. The nature of time can't change the fact that it is impossible to add matter or energy to the totality of matter and energy in the universe.

You can't add energy now and you can't add energy to the universe in the past by projecting energy into it.

If you can't project energy into the past you can't change it in any way.

No. The nature of time can't change the fact that it is impossible to add matter or energy to the totality of matter and energy in the universe.

You can't add energy now and you can't add energy to the universe in the past by projecting energy into it.

Nothing is being added to a Block Time Universe.

But then collecting those eggs could be awfully risky. There is evidence that dinosaurs (at least some) protected their eggs and hatchlings. Today there is little more dangerous than a protective mother critter. There is a good chance that protective mother critters during the Cretaceous were no different.

Nothing would be 100% safe, but collecting bird or reptile eggs today is not particularly dangerous for humans, at least if the egg-laying animal is not too big, and - for birds - the human has some protection. A basic safety helmet (as those used in construction) and a machete should be reasonable good as protection, I think, as long as the egg-laying animals is not too big nor in a pack. At any rate, it's an activity humans have engaged in since there are humans, and not among the riskiest.

The second you actually try to do it you realize you have no clue what to even try to do that is real.

"People are talking about something I don't understand, and can't even begin to grasp; Therefore they are stupid" is only one of several possible conclusions that you could reach, and it's not even the most likely one.

That you have never admitted error does not imply that you've never made one, and when lots of smart people disagree with you, the smart bet is that you are the one who has failed to understand it.

I mention this purely for the entertainment of others in the thread, as it's abundantly clear that you have zero intention of even contemplating the idea of merely speculating about the slightest possibility of considering the chance that you might conceivably not be completely and infallibly correct in every regard.

Can I bring my friends Fred and Wilma, Barney and Betty? What will a dinosaur do when it hears "Fred, what do you want for dinner?" And I usually get along well with furry little balls. Also, I know how to knap flint and make fire.

Eldarion Lathria

• Haha
Reactions: WAB
More 19th century thinking. 'We don't have experience with it so it is impossible".

No. Nobody has any experience with it so it is different from flight where people saw birds flying everyday.
Fair enough. Some in the 19th century thought heavier than air flight was possible. They were the ones who were attempting heavier than air flight and were ridiculed. Your "arguments" are more like the less intelligent of the 19th century who were doing the ridiculing.

Can I bring my friends Fred and Wilma, Barney and Betty? What will a dinosaur do when it hears "Fred, what do you want for dinner?" And I usually get along well with furry little balls. Also, I know how to knap flint and make fire.

Eldarion Lathria

Careful. You wouldn't want to get caught knapping.

"People are talking about something I don't understand, and can't even begin to grasp; Therefore they are stupid" is only one of several possible conclusions that you could reach, and it's not even the most likely one.

That you have never admitted error does not imply that you've never made one, and when lots of smart people disagree with you, the smart bet is that you are the one who has failed to understand it.

I mention this purely for the entertainment of others in the thread, as it's abundantly clear that you have zero intention of even contemplating the idea of merely speculating about the slightest possibility of considering the chance that you might conceivably not be completely and infallibly correct in every regard.

Yes. You know all about time travel.

You know exactly how it is done.

You can perform miracles and project energy into the past.

Last edited:

Nothing is being added to a Block Time Universe.

Something is added to any configuration of the universe that existed in the past if you project energy into it.

You have added energy to that universe.

Impossible.

Time travel is a childish fantasy.

Fine for a creative writing project.

Not science in any way.

Back
Top Bottom