• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Young Black Men 21 Times More Likely Than Whites to Be Shot Dead by Police

No, that was a red herring. Seriously, the whole "what about black on black crime?" deflection is simply not important to the discussion. The only legitimate reason for police to use violence on any citizen is as a last resort against an immediately dangerous person. There's really no actual crime, aside from "attacks an officer" that can explain it.

Disagree.

Cops can use lethal force against people that pose no threat to the cops. Otherwise a sniper shot in a hostage situation would be murder.

Furthermore, the law (but often not department policy) permits shooting when it's the only way to prevent a sufficiently serious crime even if they pose no threat to anyone at the time. (Local case: The cops arrest a guy for murder. While he's in the back seat he figures out who must have talked and says he's going to kill the guy. Somehow the guy escapes, although still cuffed. He's outrunning the cops, their only way to save the life of the person who talked {they don't know where he is or how to contact him} is to shoot. Justified.)

Crimes that warrant the use of deadly force better involve firearms. So the 5x stat most certainly is an isolatable statistic.
For example, if a black youth is 3 times more likely to have gun and 4 times more likely to have a criminal record, then they are 12 (3 X 4) times more likely to have the combination both having a gun and a criminal record.
Ignoring the fact... wait... lets not ignore it, let's cut that arithmetic failure in its place. First the most blatant:
1) 3x4 = 12. Yes, it does. How that is even remotely applicable to the subject, however, is lost on me. It would be 3 + 4, assuming some bad assumptions. That'd be 7x, not 12x.

Combined probabilities of two things occuring are multiplicative of the odds of each thing, not additive. Thus, differential probabilities across factors are also multiplicative.
No it isn't.

1,000,000 whites
50,000 white people have guns (5%)
80,000 white people have criminal records (8%)
130,000 combined assuming no crossover

1,000,000 blacks
150,000 blacks have guns (15%) 3x rate of whites
400,000 blacks have criminal records (40%) 5x rate of whites
550,000 combined assuming no crossover

550,000/130,000 << 21

Is the relative math wrong?

2) Youth with guns and youth with criminal record are overlapping considerations. Therefore, it is likely most with guns are almost also the same people with the criminal record. So now bump back down to about 4x again.
I already noted that the factors are not independent, thus it is less than 12, but they are also not perfectly correlated either, so it does not "bump back down to four". Your claim is only true if every person with a gun at this moment already has a criminal record and every person with a record has a gun at this moment. Since that is nowhere near true, the multiplicative difference in probabilities is notably higher than 4 but less than 12.
No.

Is there some amount of racism above and beyond all those factors? Almost certainly. Cops are the ones directly witnesses and living the objectively higher probability that a black person they approach is an armed criminal. They would have to be non-human robots not to have these daily experiences create differences in expectations that serve to cloud there judgment when no real threat exists. However, it is more than plausible that the bias of the cop (whether rooted in objective experience or racist beliefs) is a relatively small portion of that 21 times difference compared to the factors that black and whites objectively differ on and would be expected to impact the probability of a cop shooting.
You haven't presented such a case.
You haven't presented anything whatsoever that support racism as a cause at all.
At 21x, it certainly is a starting point. 21x is a significant outlier.
Your God of the gaps argument is nothing more than "I don't think known factors can explain it, and whatever they cannot explain is racism."
Well, as soon as I say it is, indeed, the fact (which I haven't even come close to saying in this thread, and if you had read my posts I have been a bit analytical in the different potentials for some of the 21x), that this is all race, your statement wouldn't be a strawman.

- - - Updated - - -

No, that was a red herring. Seriously, the whole "what about black on black crime?" deflection is simply not important to the discussion. The only legitimate reason for police to use violence on any citizen is as a last resort against an immediately dangerous person. There's really no actual crime, aside from "attacks an officer" that can explain it.

Disagree.

Cops can use lethal force against people that pose no threat to the cops. Otherwise a sniper shot in a hostage situation would be murder.
*insert largest rolling eyes smilie known to man*

Combined probabilities of two things occuring are multiplicative of the odds of each thing, not additive. Thus, differential probabilities across factors are also multiplicative
No it isn't.
Yes they are here is a math link to help explain it to you.

Multiplication rule of probabilities

1,000,000 whites

1,000,000 blacks

550,000/130,000 << 21

You math is wrong because there are more than the two variables of having guns/criminal record.

No it isn't.
Yes they are here is a math link to help explain it to you.

Multiplication rule of probabilities

1,000,000 whites

1,000,000 blacks

550,000/130,000 << 21

You math is wrong because there are more than the two variables of having guns/criminal record.
Please, demonstrate the correct math then.

You would need accurate statistics on other variables to get the math correct. So besides gun ownership and criminal record you would need to know the level of cooperativeness of suspects as well as bias of the police.

You would need accurate statistics on other variables to get the math correct.
I'm not talking about getting to 21x. I'm talking about 3x and 4x or 5x giving you a multiplicative result. Where was my math wrong?

Crimes that warrant the use of deadly force better involve firearms. So the 5x stat most certainly is an isolatable statistic.
For example, if a black youth is 3 times more likely to have gun and 4 times more likely to have a criminal record, then they are 12 (3 X 4) times more likely to have the combination both having a gun and a criminal record.
Ignoring the fact... wait... lets not ignore it, let's cut that arithmetic failure in its place. First the most blatant:
1) 3x4 = 12. Yes, it does. How that is even remotely applicable to the subject, however, is lost on me. It would be 3 + 4, assuming some bad assumptions. That'd be 7x, not 12x.

Combined probabilities of two things occuring are multiplicative of the odds of each thing, not additive. Thus, differential probabilities across factors are also multiplicative.
No it isn't.

1,000,000 whites

1,000,000 blacks

550,000/130,000 << 21

What is wrong is your use of addition and not multiplication. The relevant question is "How many blacks have both a gun and a criminal record?". By adding the raw frequencies, you are answering a very different question of "How many blacks have either a gun or a criminal record?"
That is not a combined probability and not the question that matters. A cop will be more likely to shoot if a person has either one of those in isolation than neither of those. But the probability of shooting goes up exponentially if the person has both, and even more if they also have other qualities, such as advertised membership in a violent and well armed gang, have recently committed a crime and thus have a strong desire to resist arrest, are in the company of others with one or more of these qualities, etc.. A person who has all of these, and many black youths have all of these, is exponentially more likely to get shot than someone with just one or none. So, the question is not merely "either or" (as your math asks), but the combined probability of having multiple of these factors. In your example numbers, assuming full independence, that would mean that 15% of the 40% of blacks that have a criminal record also have a gun, which means .15 X .40 = .06 or 6%. For whites it is 5% with guns and 8% with a record, so it is 5% of the 8% that have both, or .05 X .08 = .004 or 0.4%. Now compute the ratio of these products for black versus whites, which is 6% / 0.4% = 15. Black are 15 times more likely to be in the "has both" group and that group that is by far the most likely to get shot, because having a gun makes an proven criminal more dangerous and being a shown to be willing to commit crimes makes having a gun more dangerous.

For every additional variable we factor into the equation that identifies the highest potential shooting victim, if that variable has any correlation with race, the portion of that variable that is not redundant with the other variables (and there is always a non-overlapping portion), multiplies the difference in probable membership in that group between blacks and whites. The factors combine in ways that make the people with more of the factors much more likely to get shot, because they exponentially increase either the likelihood of being noticed and reasonably investigated by the cops, or increase threat the person poses to the cop and to others at that moment or if they get away to commit future crimes. If we create the highest probable shooting group that has ever relevant "risk" factor, the black versus white makeup of this group is mulitiplicatively the most extreme, and could easily be higher than 21X. Keep in mind that even variables that seem "no risk" in isolation actually matter, because the impact on shooting changes when in the context of the other factors. For example, a person dealing drugs on the corner is not a deadly threat and should not be shot. However, if you have a gun, a record, and gang affiliation, then you are far more likely to initially attract the attention of cops and allow these factors to come into play, if you are out dealing drugs rather than not. Black youths are not more likely to do drugs, but are far more likely to be out on the streets selling them. This multiplies the impact of the other factors on the probability of being shot. It is really just a matter of interacting variables and statistically, interaction means one variable multiplies the impact of the others on the outcome.

2) Youth with guns and youth with criminal record are overlapping considerations. Therefore, it is likely most with guns are almost also the same people with the criminal record. So now bump back down to about 4x again.
I already noted that the factors are not independent, thus it is less than 12, but they are also not perfectly correlated either, so it does not "bump back down to four". Your claim is only true if every person with a gun at this moment already has a criminal record and every person with a record has a gun at this moment. Since that is nowhere near true, the multiplicative difference in probabilities is notably higher than 4 but less than 12.
No.

No, meaning that you believe in a perfect 1:1 correlation between gun possession and a criminal record? (and thus are more faith-based and directly refuted by science than any YEC). Or "No", meaning you don't understand basic logic and statistics which says that only if that perfect correlation exists would the racial difference in the multiplicative probability of having both be equal to the differential probability of having only one?

Is there some amount of racism above and beyond all those factors? Almost certainly. Cops are the ones directly witnesses and living the objectively higher probability that a black person they approach is an armed criminal. They would have to be non-human robots not to have these daily experiences create differences in expectations that serve to cloud there judgment when no real threat exists. However, it is more than plausible that the bias of the cop (whether rooted in objective experience or racist beliefs) is a relatively small portion of that 21 times difference compared to the factors that black and whites objectively differ on and would be expected to impact the probability of a cop shooting.
You haven't presented such a case.
You haven't presented anything whatsoever that support racism as a cause at all.
At 21x, it certainly is a starting point. 21x is a significant outlier.
Your God of the gaps argument is nothing more than "I don't think known factors can explain it, and whatever they cannot explain is racism."
Well, as soon as I say it is, indeed, the fact (which I haven't even come close to saying in this thread, and if you had read my posts I have been a bit analytical in the different potentials for some of the 21x), that this is all race, your statement wouldn't be a strawman.

You don't need to say that "it is all racism". First, you rejected my acknowledgment that racism likely has some impact but that it is "plausible" that the other established factors could account for most of the gap. This implies you are trying to claim at least a very sizeable % if not a majority of the gap for racism, and not even willing to accept the plausibility that it is only a minor influence. Second, even just the assertion that racism is partly responsible is a "god of the gaps" argument, that you are basing solely upon an fallacious argument from incredulity that you find it hard to believe that the other known causal factors that are known to differ between blacks and whites can explain the full gap of 21X. Your incredulity is based upon your demonstrated lack of understanding of probability theory and statistical properties of variables that causally interact. Thus, your incredulity has no basis and thus your whole argument based on incredulity is invalid.
This data itself provides no reasoned basis for inferring a major influence of racism. And as I pointed out, and you conveniently ignored, only a cherry picked portion of the data is even consistent with that theory. The fact that that higher probability of shooting blacks than whites is twice as large a gap among black shooting officers than white shooting officers contradicts your hypothesis, while supporting mine that other factors related to probable shooting encounters are at work and racism plays only a minor role.

No it isn't.

1,000,000 whites

1,000,000 blacks

550,000/130,000 << 21

What is wrong is your use of addition and not multiplication. The relevant question is "How many blacks have both a gun and a criminal record?". By adding the raw frequencies, you are answering a very different question of "How many blacks have either a gun or a criminal record?"
doubtingt, the number I gave you, that is lowest possible value. If you assume there is no overlap, that is the maximum you can possibly see. Based on 3x and 5x for both stats.

A cop will be more likely to shoot if a person has either one of those in isolation than neither of those. But the probability of shooting goes up exponentially if the person has both, and even more if they also have other qualities, such as advertised membership in a violent and well armed gang, have recently committed a crime and thus have a strong desire to resist arrest, are in the company of others with one or more of these qualities, etc..
But the statistics you are trying to use to demonstrate that are in no way relatable. The number of people with criminal records or gun possession increases the chance of potentially being shot, but that increase has absolutely no bearing based on the relative rate of gun possession or criminal records relative to white people.

In order to determine that you'd need to know the frequency of shootings that involved gun or just criminal records verses simple arrests.

A person who has all of these, and many black youths have all of these, is exponentially more likely to get shot than someone with just one or none.
Exponentially? That word has a meaning you know. I think the only exponential factor would be "shooting at a cop" would exponentially increase you risk of being shot.

So, the question is not merely "either or" (as your math asks), but the combined probability of having multiple of these factors.
Of which your numbers don't even begin to address that.
In your example numbers, assuming full independence, that would mean that 15% of the 40% of blacks that have a criminal record also have a gun, which means .15 X .40 = .06 or 6%.
FYI, those numbers were just made up for conversation.

Your math doesn't work. In all likelihood, those with guns already have criminal records. These two statistics aren't unrelated and have notable overlap. You can't compare them as you have.

If we create the highest probable shooting group that has ever relevant "risk" factor, the black versus white makeup of this group is mulitiplicatively the most extreme, and could easily be higher than 21X.
And I already noted the importance in knowing the circumstances in cases where shootings did occur. What were the risks?

The only refutation to the 21x is that "blacks are probably guilty of most to all of that too".

No it isn't.

1,000,000 whites

1,000,000 blacks

550,000/130,000 << 21

doubtingt, the number I gave you, that is lowest possible value. If you assume there is no overlap, that is the maximum you can possibly see. Based on 3x and 5x for both stats.

AAAHHHHH!!! No it isn't. Why don't you grasp that you have to multiply the rates of each variable to get the probability of being in the "both" group? That is the issue because that is the group most likely to be shot by cops.
We have 2 yes/no variables that when combined create 4 groups of 'neither', 'Gun but no record", "record but no gun", and "both". Every person belong to one of these categories. The question is what is difference in probability of being in the "both" category if you are black versus white. To calculate the probability of each cell, you must multiply the probability of being yes or no on one variable by the prob of yes or no on the other. Since for independent reasons, we care most about the both or yes/yes category (because every piece of valid behavioral science and common sense says that having a gun plus a record interact to make being shot much more likely that having either alone). So. we get the prob of being in the both category for blacks and whites by multiplying their prob of yes on each variable. That is what I did and you did not. Doing so shows that the difference in their prob of being in the both category is a more extreme difference than the diff in prob for a being "yes" in either one alone. By logical extension is that every time we add another variable that is itself correlated to race, the difference in prob of being in the "yes to all" category will always be more extreme than the difference in prob of any category in which the answer to one or more of the variables is "no".
It is statistically impossible for this not to be the case, even if the added variable has some degree of overlap with the others (see response below for more on that).

A cop will be more likely to shoot if a person has either one of those in isolation than neither of those. But the probability of shooting goes up exponentially if the person has both, and even more if they also have other qualities, such as advertised membership in a violent and well armed gang, have recently committed a crime and thus have a strong desire to resist arrest, are in the company of others with one or more of these qualities, etc..
But the statistics you are trying to use to demonstrate that are in no way relatable.

The stats about the probability of having various combinations of "risk factors" is separate from the issue of the psychological causality that prompts cops to shoot.
That psychological causality and the interaction of causes is just based upon trying to be coherent with pretty much every relevant piece of data and validated theory of human fear, decision making, and risk assessment. I am applying it to cops shooting decisions in a very straightforward way that assumes they are human beings and thus the mountain and century of data from the behavioral sciences applies.

A person who has all of these, and many black youths have all of these, is exponentially more likely to get shot than someone with just one or none.
Exponentially? That word has a meaning you know. I think the only exponential factor would be "shooting at a cop" would exponentially increase you risk of being shot.

So then you are assuming that nearly all shooting are completely justifies and involve a cop being shot?
Are implying that a person holding a gun on the street, with a known violent record, a block away from a just reported robbery, cursing at and refusing to cooperate (i.e, put down his gun) is not that much more likely to get shot than a person eating an ice cream cone in their front yard on a crime free day? Only if they actually shoot the officer do their odds dramatically go up? The cops would love for you to believe that, but its absurd and untrue. All added variables increase the odds, some more than others, and some in exponential ways. Like I said before, just dealing drugs can exponentially increase your odds, because doing so can be what makes the cop notice you and thus notice your gun, record, gang tattoos, etc.. Without the drug dealing the impact of those things on being shot is much less because the cop never encounters you. So, the dealing not only has its own direct impact, but it impacts the degree of impact that each other factor has. That is what a causal interaction of variables means. It is no different than chemical interactions where the adding one chemical to an existing compound suddenly alters the impact of all those other compounds being present. IF you don't like the word "exponential" that is fine because it isn't at all critical to my argument. All that matters is that adding a variable can increase the probability of being shot, such that two groups that differ on many many variables (as blacks and whites do) will differ in the probability of being shot that is much larger than how much they differ on any one contributing factor.

So, the question is not merely "either or" (as your math asks), but the combined probability of having multiple of these factors.
Of which your numbers don't even begin to address that.
In your example numbers, assuming full independence, that would mean that 15% of the 40% of blacks that have a criminal record also have a gun, which means .15 X .40 = .06 or 6%.
FYI, those numbers were just made up for conversation.

I realize that, but the absolute value of the numbers is irrelevant to the math. And keep in mind that despite the hysteria, black youths getting shot by cops occurs about once in every million interactions between the cops and criminal suspects, so we really don't need high frequencies of combined risk factors to account for shootings. Back to the relevant issue, so long as blacks are higher on both variables, they will be multiplicatively higher in having both a gun and record to a degree that is always more than the difference on either variable in isolation. Overlap on the variables does not change the basic fact of statistics.

Your math doesn't work. In all likelihood, those with guns already have criminal records. These two statistics aren't unrelated and have notable overlap. You can't compare them as you have.

When the variables are positively correlated (such as having a gun and a record), all that does is to increase the prob of being in the both category above what the multiplicative prob in my math. It moves some of the people in the "one but not the other" categories into the both category. But that overlap in varaibles exists for both blacks and whites, so it only really inflates the overall prob of being in the "both" group, and does not change the relative difference in that prob for blacks vs. whites. If anything overlap of the variables is likely to be higher among blacks than whites. This actually inflates the probability of being in the "both" or "all" group even more for black compared to whites.

The only refutation to the 21x is that "blacks are probably guilty of most to all of that too".

IOW, the objective empirical facts that blacks are more guilty of most of the behavioral factors that are psychologically plausible theory would say increase (in isolation and via interactive combination) the probability that a cop will shoot them. I am not trying to refute the 21X statistic, which includes no measure of racism whatsoever. I am trying to determine how plausible it is that known causal factors on which we know blacks and whites differ could give rise to that difference. I am also trying to abide by core principles of scientific reasoning and not cherry pick data and infer an explanation for it while ignoring data that conflicts with the explanation, which is what you are doing when you fail to deal with the repeated fact that this 21X difference is actually smaller than that for white cops but larger than that for black cops.
The factors I am considering not only predict but essentially require the existence of a sizable gap overall, and at the same time explain why the gap is even larger for black cops than white cops. That is called explanatory power, theoretical coherence, and parsimony. The hallmarks of sound social science.

No it isn't.

1,000,000 whites

1,000,000 blacks

550,000/130,000 << 21

AAAHHHHH!!! No it isn't. Why don't you grasp that you have to multiply the rates of each variable to get the probability of being in the "both" group? That is the issue because that is the group most likely to be shot by cops.
Because these aren't probabilities, but flat out statistics.

We have 2 yes/no variables that when combined create 4 groups of 'neither', 'Gun but no record", "record but no gun", and "both".
But these aren't random values. There are weights involved here. A person with a gun is much more likely to have criminal record and vice versa. Those with criminal records are more likely to have a gun.

But the statistics you are trying to use to demonstrate that are in no way relatable.

The stats about the probability of having various combinations of "risk factors" is separate from the issue of the psychological causality that prompts cops to shoot.

That psychological causality and the interaction of causes is just based upon trying to be coherent with pretty much every relevant piece of data and validated theory of human fear, decision making, and risk assessment. I am applying it to cops shooting decisions in a very straightforward way that assumes they are human beings and thus the mountain and century of data from the behavioral sciences applies.
What you are saying is that because x times young blacks have guns, they are x times more likely to be shot. The reality is that because x times young blacks have guns, may be y times more likely to be shot. You are going 1 to 1 here, that isn't correct.

So then you are assuming that nearly all shooting are completely justifies and involve a cop being shot?
No. In no way is that a reasonable reading of what I said. Once you go to the "exponential" you are claiming that it is a strong likelihood. You are really only guaranteed to be shot by a cop by shooting at them.

Are implying that a person holding a gun on the street, with a known violent record, a block away from a just reported robbery, cursing at and refusing to cooperate (i.e, put down his gun) is not that much more likely to get shot than a person eating an ice cream cone in their front yard on a crime free day?
I haven't complained about this yet, but the whole idea that a person having a criminal record is an unknown quantity. It has not been demonstrated how often this is known prior to the shooting.

Only if they actually shoot the officer do their odds dramatically go up?
This is the question. This is what is being raised. Are whites talked down while blacks are just killed? That is the point of the discussion.

No it isn't.

1,000,000 whites

1,000,000 blacks

550,000/130,000 << 21

Because these aren't probabilities, but flat out statistics.

They are probabilities of having various combinations of factors. What definition of probability are you (mis)using that has neccessary properties absent from the current analysis? It is about co-occurrence probability and is same as computing the probability of tossing two heads in a row. You take the probability of a heads outcome on one toss (.50) and multiply it by the probability of heads on the other toss (.50), and you get .25.

We have 2 yes/no variables that when combined create 4 groups of 'neither', 'Gun but no record", "record but no gun", and "both".
But these aren't random values. There are weights involved here. A person with a gun is much more likely to have criminal record and vice versa. Those with criminal records are more likely to have a gun.

That has zero relevance. It does not change the fact that we have four types of combinations of the two variables, and that blacks and whites are deferentially distributed among those 4 types, as a multiplicative function of their relative rates for each variable. The partial co-dependance of the variables doesn't change the math that determines the racial difference in probable membership in each of the 4 types. It only increases the overall % of all people who are in the "both" category
and reduces the overall % in the "one but not the other" categories.

What you are saying is that because x times young blacks have guns, they are x times more likely to be shot. The reality is that because x times young blacks have guns, may be y times more likely to be shot. You are going 1 to 1 here, that isn't correct.
You are the one trying to compare the 21 with the 3 and the 5, and solely based upon 21 being larger, you infer those variables cannot explain the gap, so it must be (God) racism. I am just exposing the error in your logic that each factor should be evaluating in isolation and/or that combined factors do not increase the relative risk at all above the single factor with this largest difference. Exactly how much each factor translates into a difference in risk (your X and Y point) is not relevant to your wrong math and failure to consider causal interaction and how differences on each factor multiply across factors to increase the difference above whatever the largest difference is on any single factor alone. You are introducing a new issue with the X times guns leading to Y times more likely shot argument. But it isn't relevant to the other issues. A gun could increase the prob of being shot by 1000 times. The bigger the impact on being shot, the more of the 21X gap that is explained by racial differences on that variable. But the issue is that if a gun increases it by 1000 times, then having a gun plus a record, plus countless other variables on which blacks and whites differ, will increase the prob of being shot much higher than 1000 times, even with some degree of overlap. It also does not change the fact that being in this most prob to be shot group is much much higher for blacks and much higher than the simple difference on any single factor, because the probability of having those factors co-occur is a multiplicative function of the indiv prob of each variable. Thus, even without any racism, meaning that the impact of having that combo of factors is the same for blacks and whites, the large difference in having that combo of factors will make blacks much more likely to be shot, and pointing to the fact that the difference on isolated factors is less than the 21X gap is utterly meaningless and presumes that all shootings occur only due to the non-interactive effects of one and only one variable.

No. In no way is that a reasonable reading of what I said. Once you go to the "exponential" you are claiming that it is a strong likelihood.

No. That is not what exponential means. Exponential merely refers to a non-linear rate of increase with each added factor, such that in purely relative terms (and absolute liklihood) the prob goes up more when you add another factor than it did when you added a factor to the previous number of factors. For example, merely having a gun might only increase your prob 10 times, because the cop won't ever interact with you. But dealing drugs draws their attention and now they see the gun, so its presence is far more impactful and 100 times the prob of just the gun alone. The fact that going from zero factor to one factor (gun) only lead to a 10 times increase, but going from one factor to two (dealing) lead to a 100 time increase means the function that captures the relationship between number of factors and prob increase requires an exponential term in addition to a simple linear constant effect. Such non-linear effects are often due to the underlying causal relations being interactive in the way I have repeated described in my examples.
But again, exponential effects are not at all needed to support my point, only that the prob with 3 factors present is higher than with any of them alone, thus it is senseless to argue as you have by comparing the 21 X to the 3 or 5 times differences on isolated factors.

Are implying that a person holding a gun on the street, with a known violent record, a block away from a just reported robbery, cursing at and refusing to cooperate (i.e, put down his gun) is not that much more likely to get shot than a person eating an ice cream cone in their front yard on a crime free day?
I haven't complained about this yet, but the whole idea that a person having a criminal record is an unknown quantity. It has not been demonstrated how often this is known prior to the shooting.

The record has impacts in multiple ways. First, even when unknown to the cop it makes the suspect more likely to resist arrest. Second, it is known when cops run plates, check IDs, or just go out of their way to know gang members and those with criminal records on their beats (which they do). In fact, the longer the record, the more likely the cop will know about it. Since blacks have longer records, the cops are more likely to know that a black person has a record than a white person with a record. Not to mention gang membership makes it more likely that the cop knows the person has a record, and this also increases the odds that cops know blacks with records more than whites with records. This is yet another of those interactive effects that your entire argument ignores.

Only if they actually shoot the officer do their odds dramatically go up?
This is the question. This is what is being raised.

That is not the question. That is a silly question because we know that not everyone shot is shot in response to a cop. That tells us definitively that other factors notably increase the odds, and all of behavioral science would suggest that it is an multiplicative interaction among many of the variables I have suggested plus countless others, and the science tells us that blacks and whites differ on many of these factors.

Are whites talked down while blacks are just killed? That is the point of the discussion.

So, for the 4th time I will ask you how this theory can explain the fact that black cops show a much larger bias in shooting blacks over whites than white cops do.

What valid core theories of psychology make you think that a black cop is less likely to be afraid of and more likely to engage in conversation with a white suspect versus black suspect, to a greater degree than even white cops?

(btw, I can't spend more time on this exchange. I don't know how I can better explain the multiplicative differences in combined probility of having a set of risk factors, and how you completely ignore this and interactive causality in your fallacious efforts to claim that since 21 is > 3, and therefore these factors cannot explain much of the gap. )

doubtingt said:
So, for the 4th time I will ask you how this theory can explain the fact that black cops show a much larger bias in shooting blacks over whites than white cops do.

What is there to explain?

Unless you think that black cops can't act in a discriminatory way against a black citizenry. Is that what you think?

No one is saying that we should excuse this behavior because the boys have been discriminated against. We are saying the treatment by the police and the courts is different because of race, that different races are treated differently. In a word, because of racism.

Except the numbers don't support this notion. It's not racism. Race is merely a proxy for socioeconomic status here. The poor fare much worse with the justice system.

To follow your logic you believe that adolescent black males are much more likely to be poor than other adolescent males. About twenty times more likely.

And why do you believe that adolescent males are more likely to be poor?

So that you believe that the fact that blacks commit 3 times more violent crimes than whites explains why blacks are shot 21 times as often by the police? Just off the top of my head I would say that at the best it would drop the ratio to 21 ÷ 3 = 7* times the number of black violent criminals are shot by the police as white violent criminals, to follow your logic. Do you consider 700% to be in the margin of error of the survey?

* I discovered long ago not to assume that simple arithmetic is within the grasp of many of the contributors here, so I have to detail even simple calculations.

Where in the world did I say that their increased likelihood to confront police and commit violent crimes and data error explains the entire difference? You just made that up. All I said is you need to take it into account if you want to determine how much of a factor skin color is. The OP did not take these into account.

I didn't say that the mitigating factor that you gave explained the entire difference.

All that I was doing was trying to complete your point, to as you said, take your mitigating factor into account. The numbers that I used were provided by the OP and you. Adolescent black males are 21 times more likely to shot by the police. Blacks commit 3 times the numbers of violent crimes as whites and are presumably then three times more likely to be confronted by the police. And presumably your three times is for adolescent black males or I am sure that you wouldn't have even mentioned it as being valid.

This naturally would lead to a similar question to the one that I asked Loren. Why do you think that adolescent black males are three times more likely to commit violent crimes?

I am sure that you assume that the three times number that you presented is not due to race. Once again because it wouldn't therefore truly be a mitigating factor that explains the difference between the shooting rates of blacks and others then, would it?

I love the "libertarians"on this board.

So this should not be taken into account when doing these kind of comparisons? Why not? What purpose does it serve? Is it OK to distort to exaggerate racism so that it draws more resources and attention to the problem? Ends justify the means or something like that? "~3x-5x the shootings as a result of racism isn't enough! We must ignore all other factors so that we can say that 21x the shootings are due to racism so that people realize how horribly racist the society is"

By this kind of illogic, the police department is racist against whites vs. Asians, since there are more shootings by police of white teens vs. Asian teens per million.

Or maybe we should focus on unjustified police shootings and overuse of guns by police in general rather than turning it into a debate about skin color? If there is racism involved, then correcting this problem will benefit the race being targeted the most, wouldn't you agree, or are you one of those whose focus is only on the skin color of the victim?

If you assume that the 3 times, now to five times, number mitigates the twenty one times number you must provide a reason for the 3 to 5 times number that doesn't include race. Proceed.

Yes, and there doesn't seem to be much being done about it. Might be why some are chanting "racism, racism, racism" so it can get some attention.

But we shouldn't assume that it getting attention will translate into something actually being done about it. And the more we emote about it and chant "racism, racism, racism" and the more we avoid examining what is actually going on (which is likely more than just racism), the more we are likely to do things to make look like we are taking action, instead of actually fixing things.

If I was convinced that the police were out to get me, and everybody that looks like me, I would avoid them, not report wrongdoing to them, and protect myself from them. I would be be far more likely to get myself shot with that outlook.

doubtingt said:

Unless you think that black cops can't act in a discriminatory way against a black citizenry. Is that what you think?

So you're saying that black cops are racist against blacks???

Except the numbers don't support this notion. It's not racism. Race is merely a proxy for socioeconomic status here. The poor fare much worse with the justice system.

To follow your logic you believe that adolescent black males are much more likely to be poor than other adolescent males. About twenty times more likely.

And why do you believe that adolescent males are more likely to be poor?

1) You're making a totally unsupported jump. I'm saying blacks fare worse in the justice system because they are disproportionately poor, not because of racism. Whether they choose courses of action that get them shot is a different matter.

2) They're poor because of cultural issues. When you properly investigate things that appear racial you'll almost always find that race drops out as a factor once you put the correct variables in the picture. Such research is almost never done by those whose primary field is such matters.

I'm sure some are Loren.

And some white cops actually never shoot black people.

Shocking I know.

You may need to sit down for this one.

People living under a racist system often do racist things but don't think those things are racist.

Somebody get the smelling salts! I think Loren may be swooning.

I'm sure some are Loren.

And some white cops actually never shoot black people.

Shocking I know.

You may need to sit down for this one.

People living under a racist system often do racist things but don't think those things are racist.

Somebody get the smelling salts! I think Loren may be swooning.

You sure like calling blacks racist.

Back
Top Bottom