• Welcome to the Internet Infidels Discussion Board.

Your Silence is Deafening

Right now it is a civil lawsuit.
If you think there is an established set of facts about the allegation, fine; I'm not sure there is. Our neighbors to the north have specific laws about the media racing to conclusions (or even going into detailed narratives) ahead of decisions made in court, and maybe they have a point.
 
To much else going. Also, criminal investigation is starting (again?). Cornell's statement on the situation is interesting, in that they seem to have indicated that they confirm something happened, something that required action to be taken. There appears to be uncertainty here and I'd rather give this time to get the details settled a bit more before making broad statements about who did what, when, and the reaction to it by the school and prosecutors.

CBS is reporting two people were expelled, five suspended and having other things to do, fraternity barred. Which begs the question, if this was enough to suspend students for... why has it stopped where it stopped. It appeared there was an investigation, action was taken, the case was pushed to the county, and it entered a black hole. No follow-through by Cornell. No word on what was going on with the County DA.

I went to a Catholic College. For athletes, there was something that needed to be attended regarding alcohol. But that was effectively it. Of course, having a course on explaining what "consent" is seems a bit crazy, at least in the sense that it should be taught early in high school. But it is probably necessary to force colleges to include something on the subject because "consent" appears to be too hard a concept too unimportant of a concept for some males to care about.

Oddly enough, at our school, something happened. It led to expulsions of a couple basketball players (and this was a year that the team was competitive nationally, a rare thing). Details were very sketchy at best. But the college even changed rules regarding even consensual stuff on campus/dorms.
 
Last edited:
To much else going. Also, criminal investigation is starting (again?). Cornell's statement on the situation is interesting, in that they seem to have indicated that they confirm something happened, something that required action to be taken. There appears to be uncertainty here and I'd rather give this time to get the details settled a bit more before making broad statements about who did what, when, and the reaction to it by the school and prosecutors.

CBS is reporting two people were expelled, five suspended and having other things to do, fraternity barred. Which begs the question, if this was enough to suspend students for... why has it stopped where it stopped. It appeared there was an investigation, action was taken, the case was pushed to the county, and it entered a black hole. No follow-through by Cornell. No word on what was going on with the County DA.
Toni brought it up in another thread (what's wrong with women). As you pointed out, its not clear what really happened. I said to give it time to for the story to pan out and pass judgement as there are a lot conflicting details. Of course, I got some heat in return from the usual suspects. I think you'll get a pass from then, though for saying basically the same thing.
 
To much else going. Also, criminal investigation is starting (again?). Cornell's statement on the situation is interesting, in that they seem to have indicated that they confirm something happened, something that required action to be taken. There appears to be uncertainty here and I'd rather give this time to get the details settled a bit more before making broad statements about who did what, when, and the reaction to it by the school and prosecutors.

CBS is reporting two people were expelled, five suspended and having other things to do, fraternity barred. Which begs the question, if this was enough to suspend students for... why has it stopped where it stopped. It appeared there was an investigation, action was taken, the case was pushed to the county, and it entered a black hole. No follow-through by Cornell. No word on what was going on with the County DA.
Toni brought it up in another thread (what's wrong with women). As you pointed out, its not clear what really happened. I said to give it time to for the story to pan out and pass judgement as there are a lot conflicting details. Of course, I got some heat in return from the usual suspects. I think you'll get a pass from then, though for saying basically the same thing.
It has been 2 years. While there may be legal issues, there seems to be no issue that the woman was unable to give informed consent. Regardless of NY law, the men clearly thought only with their penises. Regardless of the NY law, they raped that woman.
 
To much else going. Also, criminal investigation is starting (again?). Cornell's statement on the situation is interesting, in that they seem to have indicated that they confirm something happened, something that required action to be taken. There appears to be uncertainty here and I'd rather give this time to get the details settled a bit more before making broad statements about who did what, when, and the reaction to it by the school and prosecutors.

CBS is reporting two people were expelled, five suspended and having other things to do, fraternity barred. Which begs the question, if this was enough to suspend students for... why has it stopped where it stopped. It appeared there was an investigation, action was taken, the case was pushed to the county, and it entered a black hole. No follow-through by Cornell. No word on what was going on with the County DA.
Toni brought it up in another thread (what's wrong with women). As you pointed out, its not clear what really happened. I said to give it time to for the story to pan out and pass judgement as there are a lot conflicting details. Of course, I got some heat in return from the usual suspects. I think you'll get a pass from then, though for saying basically the same thing.
It has been 2 years. While there may be legal issues, there seems to be no issue that the woman was unable to give informed consent. Regardless of NY law, the men clearly thought only with their penises. Regardless of the NY law, they raped that woman.
There are two parts here:
1) The issue of presumed entitlement of males. I'll let Derec defend that nonsensical bullshit.
2) How did this go from expulsion, banning a fraternity, and suspensions to the judicial side of things falling into a black hole. It was like this was following a fair path and then flat out derailed.
 
To much else going. Also, criminal investigation is starting (again?). Cornell's statement on the situation is interesting, in that they seem to have indicated that they confirm something happened, something that required action to be taken. There appears to be uncertainty here and I'd rather give this time to get the details settled a bit more before making broad statements about who did what, when, and the reaction to it by the school and prosecutors.

CBS is reporting two people were expelled, five suspended and having other things to do, fraternity barred. Which begs the question, if this was enough to suspend students for... why has it stopped where it stopped. It appeared there was an investigation, action was taken, the case was pushed to the county, and it entered a black hole. No follow-through by Cornell. No word on what was going on with the County DA.

I went to a Catholic College. For athletes, there was something that needed to be attended regarding alcohol. But that was effectively it. Of course, having a course on explaining what "consent" is seems a bit crazy, at least in the sense that it should be taught early in high school. But it is probably necessary to force colleges to include something on the subject because "consent" appears to be too hard a concept too unimportant of a concept for some males to care about.

Oddly enough, at our school, something happened. It led to expulsions of a couple basketball players (and this was a year that the team was competitive nationally, a rare thing). Details were very sketchy at best. But the college even changed rules regarding even consensual stuff on campus/dorms.
Not too much is going on to prevent discussion in a thread asking what’s wrong with women.

So there’s that.

Yes, the rapes occurred 2 years ago but the lawsuits are relatively recent.

One of the confounding factors is that NY law dies not consider someone to be so incapacitated that they cannot give consent fir sex if they knowingly and willingly consumed intoxicating substances.
 
To much else going. Also, criminal investigation is starting (again?). Cornell's statement on the situation is interesting, in that they seem to have indicated that they confirm something happened, something that required action to be taken. There appears to be uncertainty here and I'd rather give this time to get the details settled a bit more before making broad statements about who did what, when, and the reaction to it by the school and prosecutors.

CBS is reporting two people were expelled, five suspended and having other things to do, fraternity barred. Which begs the question, if this was enough to suspend students for... why has it stopped where it stopped. It appeared there was an investigation, action was taken, the case was pushed to the county, and it entered a black hole. No follow-through by Cornell. No word on what was going on with the County DA.
Toni brought it up in another thread (what's wrong with women). As you pointed out, its not clear what really happened. I said to give it time to for the story to pan out and pass judgement as there are a lot conflicting details. Of course, I got some heat in return from the usual suspects. I think you'll get a pass from then, though for saying basically the same thing.
It has been 2 years. While there may be legal issues, there seems to be no issue that the woman was unable to give informed consent. Regardless of NY law, the men clearly thought only with their penises. Regardless of the NY law, they raped that woman.
There are two parts here:
1) The issue of presumed entitlement of males. I'll let Derec defend that nonsensical bullshit.
2) How did this go from expulsion, banning a fraternity, and suspensions to the judicial side of things falling into a black hole. It was like this was following a fair path and then flat out derailed.
Im not certain what you mean by following a fair path? Were you referring to the sexual assault or the thread on what is wrong with women?
 
There are two parts here:
1) The issue of presumed entitlement of males. I'll let Derec defend that nonsensical bullshit.
2) How did this go from expulsion, banning a fraternity, and suspensions to the judicial side of things falling into a black hole. It was like this was following a fair path and then flat out derailed.
Im not certain what you mean by following a fair path? Were you referring to the sexual assault or the thread on what is wrong with women?
A complaint was made. The school appeared to investigate it. Acted on it. Then... it seemed to evaporate. No formal judicial side of things... no follow-through by the college on why there was no judicial side of things. It fell off a cliff and would have remained as such if not for the Civil Suit.
 
From what I can glean, especially from a PDF of the lawsuit I read that was linked to at some news page (sorry for this vagueness!), these guys were absolute cretins, cruel and disgusting, and it only strengthens my opinion that being a university student is nothing laudable or respectable in itself. Moreover, if I had a daughter, I'd feel better for her if she dated a Walmart stock boy than any of these self-important, spoiled pigs that infest the hallowed halls of academia.
 
From what I can glean, especially from a PDF of the lawsuit I read that was linked to at some news page (sorry for this vagueness!), these guys were absolute cretins, cruel and disgusting, and it only strengthens my opinion that being a university student is nothing laudable or respectable in itself. Moreover, if I had a daughter, I'd feel better for her if she dated a Walmart stock boy than any of these self-important, spoiled pigs that infest the hallowed halls of academia.
Ugh. I hear you but I grew up in a small town surrounded by farmland ( now warehouses) and a whole lot of those guys worked jobs not too dissimilar from Walmart stock boy.

They are not better, nor more respectful towards women and the local law e fur end y is not more willing to investigate alleged raises unless committed by a stranger, preferably ending in the murder of the girl or perhaps if he’s Black or brown and she’s not.

Many people I know who are devout Catholics would never allow their sons to serve as altar boys. Let me tell you, parents ts need to be at least as watchful re: youth pastors or just youth groups in general wrap, regardless of denomination.

Then there are teachers and coaches. Not all victims are female; not all predators are male.

Mostly female victims.
Mostly male predators.
A whole lot more sympathy/far less victim blaming if the victims male and the assailant is female. Sadly enough, there is still some projection if the assailant is an attractive female teacher/coach/advisor.

14 year old girl and 38 year old male teacher? Those underaged women will get you every single time.

Privilege is attached to the penis abd testicles. Rich parents ts help but definitely not required.
 
Last edited:
I am getting in way over my head here -- because I've done such a small amount of reading on this, all of it since this morning, but...

1- It is too early in the process to label anyone involved as prosecutable. Remember the Duke lacrosse rape scandal and its final dispostion?
2- Part of what is perceived as law enforcement inertia goes back to the woman's initial statement and what she recounted doing voluntarily. As I understand it (again, with a scant familiarity), her lawyers want that statement thrown out, as they say it was improperly elicited.

There will be many issues to sort out in court, and that needs to happen before outsiders can claim to know what happened.
 
I am getting in way over my head here -- because I've done such a small amount of reading on this, all of it since this morning, but...

1- It is too early in the process to label anyone involved as prosecutable. Remember the Duke lacrosse rape scandal and its final dispostion?
2- Part of what is perceived as law enforcement inertia goes back to the woman's initial statement and what she recounted doing voluntarily. As I understand it (again, with a scant familiarity), her lawyers want that statement thrown out, as they say it was improperly elicited.

There will be many issues to sort out in court, and that needs to happen before outsiders can claim to know what happened.
The major issue is that NY law does not consider an inebriated person to be incapable of consent if they voluntarily consumed the intuxicatimg substance. Which is complicated by the fact that she was drunk when offered/urged/forced to consume ketamine. After which, most states would consider a person incapable of giving consent. Having watched someone given a therapeutic dose of ketamine in a medical setting: no one is capable of giving meaningful consent on ketamine.

One person in that group chat missed the chat in real time and brought it forward to the school when they woke to find this ‘discussion’ of the availability of a suitably incapacitated female to ejaculate on/in/ whatever.
 

This part sounds like a major screwup:
According to a transcript of the alleged victim's interview with campus police, obtained by CBS News New York's Mahsa Saeidi from a source, Jane Doe distinguished the initial sexual activity from what she says happened later in the night.

She described drinking and using drugs the night of the alleged rape, and said she had gaps in her memory, according to the transcript.

When asked whether she was OK with the initial encounter, she said, "Yeah, as much as I can be because, again, I was super drunk when I got there ... But I was pretty OK with all of this."

When describing what happened later in the night, the transcript says Jane Doe said, "I can say with 100% confidence I was raped."

The interview began on Nov. 14, 2024 — more than three weeks after the alleged gang rape — and continued the next day.

The transcript was used as the basis for the alleged victim's written statement, and it shows the investigator read her account back to her word by word and gave her a chance to clarify or correct the record.

On the second day of the interview, Jane Doe reviewed the revised six-page statement. The transcript shows her adviser asked if she wanted her and another adviser to review the statement.

Before signing, the transcript shows Jane Doe said, "I'm very confident about this."

Tompkins County District Attorney Matthew Van Houten told CBS News Tuesday night that he was never provided the full transcripts of those initial interviews Jane Doe conducted with Cornell school police.

He said the sworn statement submitted to his office in November 2024 made no mention of the statements that were made in the transcript obtained by CBS News New York, specifically Doe telling school investigators, "I can say with 100 percent confidence I was raped."

"I never saw it, never heard it until tonight," Van Houten told CBS News. "If it exists, I will get it. You can be sure of that."

...

Cornell University said it's police department provided the results of the school's investigation to the DA.

WTF???

And this part will be very problematic for the prosecution:
CBS said:
Screenshots of a separate text exchange, also reported exclusively by CBS News New York, show what a source describes as messages sent two days later between Jane Doe and one of the defendants now accused in the lawsuit.

The man started by apologizing for "how things went down." He said his memory is "kinda fuzzy," and that he and another man feel bad for being too intoxicated to "shut it down and kick people out before it got way out of hand."

The woman in the text chain replied that her memory is "super clouded too," and said they had all been heavily intoxicated.

She also wrote, "non(e) of the sexual stuff was illegal." She said she liked being with him and another man. Later, she suggested they smoke together again, "but like leave out the extra 5 billion men and ketamine."

The woman's attorney, Thomas Giuffra, confirmed she exchanged texts with this defendant shortly after the alleged assault, but he could not confirm whether these were the specific texts.

Giuffra said she was in denial and traumatized shortly after the alleged assaults. He said she was intoxicated to the point of incapacity that night and was trying to find out what happened.

Personally, I am wondering if these text messages also need to be put into the context of her distinction between the initial encounter and then what transpired later. In other words, this person was part of the initial encounter which she initially described as consensual. His charges or claims against him are probably very minimal in comparison to the others. And she was being loose with language to get information about what happened. "You're not in trouble, just tell me what happened."

I am seeing that text as a big barrier, though, in the case.
 

This part sounds like a major screwup:
According to a transcript of the alleged victim's interview with campus police, obtained by CBS News New York's Mahsa Saeidi from a source, Jane Doe distinguished the initial sexual activity from what she says happened later in the night.

She described drinking and using drugs the night of the alleged rape, and said she had gaps in her memory, according to the transcript.

When asked whether she was OK with the initial encounter, she said, "Yeah, as much as I can be because, again, I was super drunk when I got there ... But I was pretty OK with all of this."

When describing what happened later in the night, the transcript says Jane Doe said, "I can say with 100% confidence I was raped."

The interview began on Nov. 14, 2024 — more than three weeks after the alleged gang rape — and continued the next day.

The transcript was used as the basis for the alleged victim's written statement, and it shows the investigator read her account back to her word by word and gave her a chance to clarify or correct the record.

On the second day of the interview, Jane Doe reviewed the revised six-page statement. The transcript shows her adviser asked if she wanted her and another adviser to review the statement.

Before signing, the transcript shows Jane Doe said, "I'm very confident about this."

Tompkins County District Attorney Matthew Van Houten told CBS News Tuesday night that he was never provided the full transcripts of those initial interviews Jane Doe conducted with Cornell school police.

He said the sworn statement submitted to his office in November 2024 made no mention of the statements that were made in the transcript obtained by CBS News New York, specifically Doe telling school investigators, "I can say with 100 percent confidence I was raped."

"I never saw it, never heard it until tonight," Van Houten told CBS News. "If it exists, I will get it. You can be sure of that."

...

Cornell University said it's police department provided the results of the school's investigation to the DA.

WTF???

And this part will be very problematic for the prosecution:
CBS said:
Screenshots of a separate text exchange, also reported exclusively by CBS News New York, show what a source describes as messages sent two days later between Jane Doe and one of the defendants now accused in the lawsuit.

The man started by apologizing for "how things went down." He said his memory is "kinda fuzzy," and that he and another man feel bad for being too intoxicated to "shut it down and kick people out before it got way out of hand."

The woman in the text chain replied that her memory is "super clouded too," and said they had all been heavily intoxicated.

She also wrote, "non(e) of the sexual stuff was illegal." She said she liked being with him and another man. Later, she suggested they smoke together again, "but like leave out the extra 5 billion men and ketamine."

The woman's attorney, Thomas Giuffra, confirmed she exchanged texts with this defendant shortly after the alleged assault, but he could not confirm whether these were the specific texts.

Giuffra said she was in denial and traumatized shortly after the alleged assaults. He said she was intoxicated to the point of incapacity that night and was trying to find out what happened.

Personally, I am wondering if these text messages also need to be put into the context of her distinction between the initial encounter and then what transpired later. In other words, this person was part of the initial encounter which she initially described as consensual. His charges or claims against him are probably very minimal in comparison to the others. And she was being loose with language to get information about what happened. "You're not in trouble, just tell me what happened."

I am seeing that text as a big barrier, though, in the case.
Yes, I see the barrier but I see it as a barrier that is comprised of the absolute fact that relatively few males ever experience rape from a victim's POV and especially very few (relatively speaking---1 is too many for anybody, full stop) are victims of a gang rape.

It is extremely extremely extremely common for the victim to initially minimize what happened, to downplay it. Even more so if they were intoxicated during the assault. Both trauma and intoxication work against recall. Details and even large portions of the event sometimes come back over time. Days, weeks, months. Sometimes years.

In the other thread, I wrote about shutting down what was shaping up to be the gang rape of my very intoxicated friend who was laying on a bed, declaring how much she just loved everybody in the whole world. Happy if extremely infrequent drunk. In fact, that was the only time I ever saw her even slightly intoxicated. The next day, she was upset/embarrassed, mostly because her asshole boyfriend who abandoned her was angry with her and because the guys were suggesting that the two of us were lovers, which is why I stopped what was happening. Because why else would anyone stop what looked like a rape unless they wanted sole proprietorship amiright??? I remember bursting out laughing at the suggestion but she was upset and embarrassed. She never actually remembered most of what happened that night and did not actually remember at the time the menace of what was happening. My friend was tall, slender--a dancer's body, very smart and outwardly very sure of herself. Inwardly, not so much which is how I understand why she ever dated her boyfriend at the time. He was cute but not particularly smart and not particularly mature for his age. Because she was smart, beautiful and very articulate and btw, ambitious, there were a bunch of guys who were not overly fond of her. They preferred dumb and quiet, preferably with big boobs. Or someone they thought was easy and yeah, they equated blonde and boobs with dumb. #Not all guys of course, and not even all guys on that floor or in that dorm. But enough guys.

My reputation as a lesbian (I am not a lesbian although at that particular period of time, if I could have changed my orientation to lesbian, I might well have done--lots of shitty guys around) was further solidified when the same friend and actually another friend would frequently recruit me to stick around when particular guys stopped by or was coming to work on a project or whatever because they knew he was pushing for contact they did not wish. Somehow, and I never and still do not quite understand it, they did not feel capable of fending off the guys in question on their own. Both were beautiful and extremely smart. The only thing I can think of is that generally speaking, girls are raised/socialized to be nice, polite, accommodating, reassuring, placating. As odd as this is to write, I had had the benefit of being assaulted when I was much younger than college age and spent several years fending off disgusting advances so I had my NO down really really firmly. And, I am a fight not flight or freeze person so I will hurt someone who tries to hurt me or someone I care about. Not my first move but if necessary, yeah I will hurt you and not feel guilty about it at all. This was not without risk to me: One would be suitor was so enraged at my cockblocking that he wrapped his bicycle chain around my neck and pulled tight. I laughed in his face and fortunately there were two other guys standing by who looked alarmed and made him stop. So heck of a nice guy, huh?

I've had a number of women describe to me sexual encounters that were not consensual, that they did not want, that they tried to refuse but ultimately acquiesced to avoid being hurt more. They did not call those events rape but that is what they described to me. Rarely was any alcohol involved. There was a lot of self blame, fear they had 'led him on' because they knew he 'liked them' more than they liked him and they were trying to be nice and didn't expect things to 'go that way.'

Self doubt, self blame is common among victims of sexual assault. How could I have been so dumb? Did I lead him on? Why did I go there/drink that/say that/accept a ride/wear that/ad nauseum. As if there was a magic spell one could weave, perfect behavior one could model that would ward off sexual assault.

There is not.

So it is unsurprising that Cornell's Jane Doe did not immediately go to the police (universities heavily discourage rape victims from reporting to police, everywhere) or that she did not fully grasp exactly what happened, especially given the ketamine but alcohol would have been enough plus trauma. Given that she, for some incomprehensible reason, still thought she liked the guy who put her in that situation, she was still in the placating/minimizing mode. Horrible but not surprising.

I realize that almost none of the men will believe or accept this. Probably would never even consider this unless they had been rape victims themselves or perhaps someone they cared about was. Even then, there's a lot of doubt.
 
Having watched someone given a therapeutic dose of ketamine in a medical setting: no one is capable of giving meaningful consent on ketamine.
Having been given Ketamine in the ED once, I can confirm.
 
I understand one of the frat boys texted to others while it was occurring "Free pussy upstairs."
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom