• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

You've got to be fu.... ah... kidding me!

Which is why I avoid taking my kids with me to the grocery store, they drive me insane and at least 6 F Bombs are dropped by the time we exit the cereal aisle.

The "F Bombs." That would be a great name for a punk or metal band.

Fuck polite society. I prefer honest society. Making arbitrary social norms some kind of moral code is one of the lowest forms of ideology. Are we not diseased enough in our cultures? Not enough "kinds" of people or judgments about harmless behaviors to use against your fellow human beings like petty little weapons? Yes, the word "fuck" is harmless unless you are trained to react to it... why would anyone consciously follow along with mindless norms in our dumb ass tendency to cultivate words into bombs?

Those of you who think "polite society" is more important than ordinary compassion for another human being expressing frustration, do you like having that ability to hurt people with words knowing damn well it's conditioned and means nothing in and of itself? You want to make sure you always have that little weapon available to use against others? If not, then stop making it a weapon. That's what taboo does. That's what insisting on "polite" above "honest" does.

That lady was frustrated and angry, and for reasons we can't possibly know. But hey, fuck compassion and letting minor social infractions pass. Escalate a non-issue to the level of morality about "how she's raising her son" and any other not-your-fucking-business issue you can fabricate. Let's just stick with the petty punishment mentality. Teach our kids that they're somehow unworthy if they don't live up to arbitrary shit you've never questioned. It's been working so well all this time and all.

Your post moves me, but don't you think some unfounded assumptions are in order here? Sure, our assumptions and generalizations can catch us sometimes, but gee, we get it right every now and again don't we? I don't think for a second that the reporter saying she was arrested for using the f-word truly paints a forthright picture of why she was arrested. 1) that just doesn't happen in isolation to other intolerable behavior. 2) she was in fact from Ohio.

I realize I don't have any facts to substantiate my belief that her attitude (without a doubt) and possibly additional unacceptable behavior played a significant role in the final decision for an arrest to be made. So sure, anyone can feel free to say that I don't know what actually transpired, but (and even without video and audio of the events), it's still the case that she is from Ohio.

I know, I know, what does Ohio have to do with anything, but nevermind that. The question I have for you is would your outtake be the same had you been there to witness the ridiculous scene that woman made after being confronted by the police? "What ridiculous scene", yeah, yeah, I hear ya, but haven't you felt someway about something and decided to make exceptions?

You might be very compassionate but choose not to be so tolerant in a particular situation where your firsthand account of the unfolding events drives your first thoughts to be "dang, this women deserves to be locked up". Of course you wouldn't dare accept the notion that someone should be locked up for dropping the f-bomb while attending to the little munchkins after - perhaps - a long day at work. Shoot, we might smile with amusement if the cussing were perhaps in a loving yet frustrated kind of way. Surely you can't (however) bring your compassion to bare in her particular situation. Heck, had you been there, you might have been silently rooting for the police to slap her. All that compassion might have made you sad for the kids and for a moment want to take them home yourself.

All of that (crazy as it may be) is to just to get you to ease up on the trigger finger a bit. Neither of us were there, and to evoke that much emotion into what we surely shouldn't take at face value can take a lot out of ya.

Feel for people, yes, but arrested for merely saying that? Come on! Make some kind of assumption!

Last edited:
Fast, I don't really understand your point. Mine was in reference to reactions in this thread indicating that following arbitrary social rules is so important that even without any other information about the woman in question, she's guilty of something and some kind of punishment is in order, at the very least this "what kind of mother..." moralizing.

I consider this kind of conditioned, judgmental response a social disease and I like to challenge it wherever I see it. :)

Fast, I don't really understand your point. Mine was in reference to reactions in this thread indicating that following arbitrary social rules is so important that even without any other information about the woman in question, she's guilty of something and some kind of punishment is in order, at the very least this "what kind of mother..." moralizing.

I consider this kind of conditioned, judgmental response a social disease and I like to challenge it wherever I see it. :)
Ok. I was drinkin' anyway ... :)

Back
Top Bottom