• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

120 Reasons to Reject Christianity

When I grew up biblical metaphors were common. As mad as Moses, Moses down from the mountain, the patience of Job, yj wisdom of solp,um and so 9on.

The metaphors' have been replaced by pop culture, like Bob Dylan who was never able to put two coherent sentences today.

Drug metaphors are common. like what have you been smoking, or a bum trip. The Christian foundations are eroding.
I'm still not convinced that Christainity was the foundation.
I do agree that biblical literacy is significantly lower. Teaching novels that use Moses or Pilate as a metaphor in the writing needs a break while the teacher explains the author's reference.
The Protestant work ethuc was about delayed gratification, Today the culture is instant gratification and mass materialism/ It should be no surprise kids are growing up with a healthy foundation, evidenced by teen and young adult suicide.
I have to question the numbers there, too.
Have teen suicides actually increased? Or is it just suicide reporting that's increased? Part of the culture was the stigma attached to suicide, and the reluctance authorities had to embarrass or hurt the families, so they'd identify suicides as misadventures or accidents.
So we don't really KNOW what the numbers actually were, when we were growing up.
When I grew up in the 50s, guns were far easier to get than today. Mail-order no questions asked. There have been 22 school shootings this year. What has changed in society? The culture has changed from Christian moderation to anything goes within the law.
But still can't tell if rejecting Christainity is causing the changes, or if the rejecting is merely another symptom of a greater change...

What hope has lpetrich of ever responding to all the points in these multiple wall of text? It would be a full time job, even with a secretary.

When one claims the unqualified support of "modern scholarship" for their personal opinions, one should expect some references in the response.

I couldn't quickly find historical information on teenage suicide rates back far enough for my to make any points on the issue, but like Keith&Co, I'm not going to make claims without evidence to back it up...emotional rants fall short. And if there is one thing I can't stand is the stupid notion of 'the good old days'.

steve_bank said:
When I grew up in the 50s, guns were far easier to get than today. Mail-order no questions asked. There have been 22 school shootings this year. What has changed in society? The culture has changed from Christian moderation to anything goes within the law.
But still can't tell if rejecting Christainity is causing the changes, or if the rejecting is merely another symptom of a greater change...
Sadly, school shootings seem to be the rage these days for what ever reasons. Steve, I think you have confused your personal negative societal views for actual historical information. There is nothing that I see that can link the decline of Christian belief to the homicide rate in general. Homicide rates today in the US are very similar to where they were in the 1950's, even if they have climbed a little since 2014.

homicide_51yr.JPG

Secondarily, homicide rates in the modern era are far lower than when practically 'everyone' was a Christian in the US.

Violence-Stylized-2.png

When one claims the unqualified support of "modern scholarship" for their personal opinions, one should expect some references in the response.
Yeah, Lumpy is ALL THE TIME making claims about how historians do their job, without really knowing Puck-All what he's talking about. Much less reinforcing his claims with ties to actual historiacal scholarlies.

Sadly, school shootings seem to be the rage these days for what ever reasons.
yeah, not arguing that.

But is it 'fewer Christains, therefore shootings' or 'televised reality shows, therefore fewer Christains AND therefore school shootings.'
Or two completely separate therefores?

I'm still not convinced that Christainity was the foundation.
I do agree that biblical literacy is significantly lower. Teaching novels that use Moses or Pilate as a metaphor in the writing needs a break while the teacher explains the author's reference. I have to question the numbers there, too.
Have teen suicides actually increased? Or is it just suicide reporting that's increased? Part of the culture was the stigma attached to suicide, and the reluctance authorities had to embarrass or hurt the families, so they'd identify suicides as misadventures or accidents.
So we don't really KNOW what the numbers actually were, when we were growing up.

Separating it all out would be a major research project. The recent shooter had an album from a German band with a song People Are Prey. Pop songs over here about rape. There was a kids video game about rape for points.

Back in the 60s black muscic in the Jim Crow era was about love and hope. White and black music today can be very dark.

I watched the move Hostel about a place where you could pay to torture and kill, graphic brutality, entertainment?

I am far from a conservative wingnut, but culture has clearly shifted for the worse. The Counter Culture of the 60s was a rejection of what was seen as a materialistic shallow culture. Today it is worse than ever, happiness through material things is being pounded into kids thru advertisng. To me it is no wonder teens are going over the edge. Religion used to be a reference point in chaos.

Christianity for the masses used to be about finding meaning and happiness without a lot of possesions. Now we have the Sucesses Gospel, god wants you to be rich. Christianity has also been corupted.

I grew up Catholic. I had a bad family situation. i know looking back the Catholic schools gave me environment that kept me stable and gave me a semblence of a moral compass. Nothing like today, I got in trouble several times and they kept me together. They cared, I would have been toast in public schools.

Of course I have no numbers and it is a generalization on my part.

Recently on CNN some one had an epiphany on the last shooting, there is something fundamentally wrong with our culture.

Separating it all out would be a major research project.
Agreed.
Which is why I'm questioning your conclusion sans that research.
It seems shallow, knee-jerky.

Asked to provide a means of proving causation rather than just correlation, you list even more correlation.

Separating it all out would be a major research project.
Agreed.
Which is why I'm questioning your conclusion sans that research.
It seems shallow, knee-jerky.

Asked to provide a means of proving causation rather than just correlation, you list even more correlation.

This would be a topic for social science or morality.

I ascribe to freethought, looking at a problem without regard to ideology or personal belief. While not religious and often critical of religion I can acknowledge positive aspects of religion.

At the state level religion has always functioned as a stable reference point countering chaos. The Romans considered religion essential to stability.

We are seeing a rise in chaos among the people reflected in Congress and POTUS.

On what basis do you think that next year or even the next day will be stable?

Can our wide open most anything goes culture maintain cohesion without a moderating force? I am beginning to think no.

On what basis do you think that next year or even the next day will be stable?
Exactly where did I say anything about moving to or from stability?

All I've said is that i think that our morality informs our religion, not the other way around.

I would also say that I doubt that religion can be a stabilizing influence if it has no credibility. When you and I were growing up, every knew that gays were demonic. As they came out of the closet in the 70s, people could compare the gays they knew to the message the church was still pounding. People unwilling to accept The Word against their experiences started leaving the church.
I doubt that any church that's still pounding their 'teh gays is ebil' message will ever be a moderating influence on society as a whole. Mostly because they refuse moderation.

So, they're still thinking they're the ones offering moral codes to be accepted by the consumers. But I think their only hope of a future of influence means adapting to the actual morality of the masses. Wherever that comes from...

When we look around the world, we see that the most stable nations are the least religious. And vice-versa.

If religion was a stabilising force, Iceland would be a war-torn hell-hole, and the Middle East an exemplar of peace and stability.

Clinging to an hypothesis in the face of clear evidence against its factuality is the antithesis of reason.

I started another thread. The role of religion in society

didn't even discuss marcion being the author of the pauline texts, or at the very least the nature of the pauline texts versus the gospels when it comes to the historcity of christ

Do the Gospels belong in a "GENRE" of literature which makes them necessarily "FICTION"?

(continued from previous Wall of Text)

The obsession with "direct speech" text in the Gospels

I'm not impressed by Lumpenproletariat's spews. I haven't seen in them anything close to a discussion of modern scholarship concerning the origin of the Gospels.

Discussing such a large volume of literature as "modern scholarship concerning the origin of the Gospels" would require extensive Walls of Text beyond these, but the following and earlier spews on the lpetrich links will hopefully approach closer to such a discussion.

To not lose sight -- the fundamental question here is whether the Jesus miracle acts actually did happen as real historical events, i.e., whether there is reason, or evidence, for believing these events really happened, similarly as we believe other reported facts of history for which there is no proof today other than the ancient documents which say the events happened, and for some of which events there is limited evidence, like only one source.

Here are some links on what the Gospels have in common with various works from antiquity nowadays considered fictional.

Ancient Historical Writing Compared to the Gospels of the New Testament | Κέλσος . . .

(resuming notes from this link)

[14] In fact, Richard Pervo in “Direct Speech in Acts and the Question of Genre” has found that Acts of the Apostles contains more direct speech than virtually any piece of historiography or historical biography from the same period.

What is the importance of "direct speech" vs. "indirect speech"? Why does this matter? Is this supposed to put Acts into a "genre" which rules it out as having credibility for historical events? No, an honest approach to Acts would just address the legitimate doubts about the miracle claims in it, rather than obsessing on the number of "direct speech" quotes. But Ferguson doesn't want to do that legitimate questioning, because it leads to the conclusion that the miracle acts described in the Gospel accounts are credible, while those in Acts are suspicious.

What makes the Jesus miracle acts more credible is that they are reported in 4 sources rather than only one, they are unrelated or dissimilar to anything earlier, fitting into no pattern of miracle stories from earlier Jewish or Greek-Roman traditions, and it's impossible to explain them as a result of mythologizing, as virtually all ancient miracle claims can be explained.

But the obsession with "direct speech" vs. "indirect speech" does nothing to resolve the credibility question. There's no connection between "direct speech" quotes and Ferguson's artificial fiction "genre" into which he wants to discard the Gospel accounts, claiming they are "fiction" because they don't fit into the strict "historical" and "biographical" categories.

"Direct speech" is the norm even for the "historical" writings.

Ferguson misuses the "direct speech" term, because ALL the ancient writings, including the "historical" ones, rely mainly on "direct speech" for their quotes.

When the "historical" writings quote someone, it's almost always "direct speech" rather than "indirect" which is used. (Possible exceptions like Thucydides are not the norm.) So the extra "direct speech" in Acts means only that this document contains more quotes than the "historical" works. So, Josephus and Herodotus also use "direct speech" for their quotes, virtually always, whereas it's the frequency of the quotes that's different, being much less than with Acts or the Gospel accounts, where quotes occur frequently.

So it's only the extra amount of quotes in Acts and the Gospels which Ferguson imagines is significant, not whether it's "direct speech" being used. Whatever the reasons for the more numerous quotes in these documents, it's not any indication of a higher or lower likelihood of fiction vs. factual subject matter.

There is nothing about a narrative style of writing, and containing numerous quotes, which makes the document less reliable or less credible as a source for the reported events. Yet Ferguson gleefully seizes on the frequent occurrence of quotes in the Gospels as a reason to then consign them to the "fiction" genre.

How do "direct speech" quotations in the text make the reported events to be fictional?

Of course the accuracy of quotes is problematic -- any fool can see that -- from an author 50 years later who is quoting a historical character. Such quotes, in the Gospels and in Acts, can be understood as rough paraphrase and also as partly fictional, though such quotes do communicate some true facts about the events, despite the fictional element.

It's understood that probably the historical character quoted did not speak those exact words, and in some cases said no such thing, whether it's the Gospels/Acts, or Herodotus or other historian. Even if Thucydides was a bit more accurate -- or 2 or 3 other "historians" were more meticulous in their quotes -- yet this doesn't put all the other writings into Ferguson's phony "fiction" category.

Almost all the "historians" used "direct speech" quotes.

Most of them were not meticulous but committed the same imprecision in quoting characters as the Gospels and Acts. This does not undermine the general credibility of the accounts, other than just the wording of the quotes being in doubt.

The reported miracle acts of Jesus are not refuted by the fact that the Gospels include numerous quotes which are dubious. Anymore than dubious quotes in Herodotus refute his reported events. The quotes have a legitimate place in the accounts, even if they are imprecise, and they even contribute to increasing our knowledge of the events.

The author's INTERPRETATION of the events is communicated by the quotes and is important for understanding the historical facts and does not make the related events fiction. His interpretation contains a factual element, even though it's not literal historical fact, or is only opinion. It does not discredit the reported facts, which have to be judged separately from the quotes or the author's interpretation.

The author's interpretation is helpful in better understanding the facts or the reported events, and is a legitimate part of the account, not undermining the reported events.

One can be careful or skeptical in reading the document without dismissing the narrative as "fiction" simply because it contains a large number of "direct speech" quotes. Rather, it's the element of discrepancies or contradiction to other sources which undermines the credibility.

It's curious that Ferguson gets bogged down on this "direct speech" vs. "indirect speech" hair-splitting, as though this somehow is a "smoking gun" for refuting the miracle claims. It's only an out-of-control zeal to relegate the Gospels to the "fiction" genre which produces this arbitrary rule, i.e., that documents with more quotations in them belong in the "fiction" genre. It's not true that extra occurrence of quotes makes the document into a fiction piece.

Rather, dubious claims in any writings always need to be checked, regardless whether there are many quotes or few, or none at all.

Acts consists of 51% direct speech, which is on par with Jewish novels (e.g., Judith: 50%; Susanna 46%), and even . . .

No, Acts is not "on par" with these writings but is a totally different type of writing.

Instead of bean-counting the number of "direct speech" occurrences, which says nothing of relevance about the fact-or-fiction question, we should note the huge difference between the New Testament accounts (the Gospels and Acts) vs. these Jewish "novels" from the OT Apocrypha: The latter are stories with a historical setting 400-500 years earlier than the date of the writings, whereas the Gospels and Acts are about events 30-70 years earlier than these were written.

This period of 30-70 years is a normal time span between the historical events and the writings about them which we use for most of the historical record for ancient history. Though in some cases a written source can be 100-200 years later than the reported events, this is not the norm, and it's really ludicrous and irresponsible for a scholar to compare something 400 years late to a 1st-century document reporting on 1st-century events.

By continuing to compare the NT accounts to these ancient "novels" which are dated centuries after the reported events, Ferguson is only demonstrating his incompetence to offer anything for comparison to the Gospel accounts, for judging the fact/fiction claims about the historical Jesus.

The date of the document is vastly more important than obsessing on the number of "direct speech" quotes in the document.

. . . and even greater than the proportion of direct speech in Hellenistic novels (e.g., Ephesian Tale: 38.9%; Alexander Romance: 34.4%).

Further irrelevant comparisons and pointless bean-counting. The "Ephesian Tale" has no historical setting and makes no claims about actual historical persons, and obviously is intended as fiction only. You can't compare the Gospels to anything having no connection to historical events in it, not placed into a particular time in history, as the Gospel accounts are connected to actual historical events. Something totally non-historical is simply a different category of literature than the Gospels or Acts, containing reported events tied into actual recorded history.

And the Alexander Romance is ludicrous for comparison, especially as an example of "fictional" vs. "historical," because this narrative actually contains more fact than fiction, despite its romantic heroism and adventurism -- most of the events in it are actually in agreement with the known history of Alexander (or don't contradict it). But further, it cannot be compared to the Gospels because almost all its content dates from several centuries after the reported events.

If this Alexander Romance had been written about 250-300 BC, Ferguson would have no business condemning it as "fiction" as he does here. It's precisely because it's dated 500+ years later that it's useless as a credible source for Alexander, and only a pseudo-scholar would ignore the date of the document and instead obsess on how many "direct speech" quotes are in it in order to discard it into the "fiction" category.

Obviously all these documents contain some fact and some fiction. That one document has more "direct speech" than another tells us nothing about how much of it is fact and how much fiction.

So then ALL documents having quotations are in the "fiction" genre?
How many extra quotes turn it into a "fiction" document?

The term "direct speech" only means quotations, in these examples. It only means that the document contains much quoting of the historical characters, i.e., a higher amount of this as a percent of the total text. Usually these are speeches or sermons or announcements to a crowd or to someone in power.

This has nothing to do with whether the document is fact or fiction, other than the reported speaking event per se, which is not itself the real subject matter of the narrative. The document could be 99% quotations, and this does not make it any more fictional, except to assume that such quotes are not precisely accurate, or might be false attributions in some cases. But that still does not make the reported events fictional.

The exact words of a particular character, or the exact sentiments expressed in the quotes, usually are not essential to the facts/events presented in the document. A higher precision of the words or thoughts attributed to the speaker might be desirable, but usually is not possible, or necessary, and the basic facts being reported are just as true anyway, regardless whether the quotations are accurate. These quotes are not the evidence for believing the claimed events, though they contribute legitimately to clarify the facts or claimed events, or to interpret them.

More quotations do not increase or decrease the credibility.

What matters is whether the related events really happened, i.e., what the evidence shows about the claimed events, not how many quotes appear in the text.

The quotes are used as a literary tool to convey the general events and can serve this role truthfully regardless of the accuracy of the words as quoted or attributed to a certain character.

There is no evidence that documents containing extra quotations are less accurate as to the general facts being reported. The general facts or events reported are not discredited just because of an excess of quotations, including if the quotes are inaccurate and not to be taken strictly. Nothing of the fact-vs.-fiction element is resolved by citing the greater or lesser amount of quotations in the document.

And quotations per se is all Ferguson is talking about here with his point about "direct speech" in some of the literature. If any of this literature is more fictional, it's not because of the greater amount of quotations in it, but other reasons which can be given concerning particular claims in the text, and also consideration of the date of writing, or the closeness of the writer to the events.

In contrast, both historiography (e.g., Josephus’ Jewish War I: 8.8%) and historical biography (e.g., Plutarch’s Alexander: 12.1%; Tacitus’ Agricola: 11.5%) have a much lower proportion of direct speech.

I.e., lower proportion of quotations in the text. But so what? How many quotes are allowed before it becomes "fictional"?

The quotes are irrelevant to whether these writings, or reported events, are fact or fiction. Even if the above "historical" writings are more factual than some other documents, it's not because they contain fewer quotations, as Ferguson imagines. Having a greater or lesser number of quotations is irrelevant to whether certain claims are fact or fiction.

It's fine to doubt that the particular character really spoke those words, but the truth of the general events reported is unchanged by such doubtfulness of the quotes, which in some cases are likely words put falsely into the character's mouth, but which still help to truthfully communicate the related historical events which happened, just as Herodotus and Josephus and others communicated the events by that means.

The only piece of historiography to even come close to the frequency of direct speech in ancient novels is Sallust’s Catiline (28.3%), which is a text that contains a large number of Roman Senate orations, and even this text has only about half the amount of direct speech in Acts.

Ferguson keeps repeating "direct speech" when all he means is quotations in the text. And more quotations is supposed to be some kind of give-away that the document belongs in the "fiction" genre? How is this a way to judge if a reported event is true or false? How is a reported claim refuted by the fact that there are "direct speech" quotes in the written account?

Of course such quotes are poor evidence to prove something happened. But that doesn't turn the quotes into some kind of evidence that the claims are fictional. They are not evidence either to verify or refute the claimed events.

Sallust may be more credible for the respective historical events than Acts is. But this has nothing to do with the number of quotes. There are other indicators of the credibility as to the reported events. The number of quotes is no indicator at all. Regardless how many more quotes there are, it does not make the document more fictional.

You can psychologize about the writer's motive for using frequent quotations, like how this technique of writing is a more clever way to communicate to certain readers, or even manipulate them. But it does not make the literature into fiction. How does the persuasive art of the writer turn the claims into "fiction"? or disprove certain alleged events? Rather, if we're supposed to dismiss certain claims as fiction, this has to be shown by looking at the related facts that are known, not by counting the number of quotations in the text.

Perhaps the quotes are deceptive, used cleverly by the writer to stir the reader's emotions. Much could be said about not letting oneself be misled by them, and following only where the evidence leads. But simplistically condemning the source as "fiction" for its extra use of quotations is itself a deceptive manipulation of readers trying to find the truth. Yes, maybe there's some fiction here, but what part is NOT fiction? How do we distinguish the factual part from the fiction? A legitimate scholar trying to make a case should rise above such pettiness as simply counting the number of quotations and blurting out: "See, it must be in the fiction genre!"

Is all drama text "fiction" because it's "direct speech"?

As the quotes increase in frequency, the document becomes more like a drama or play, rather than a narrative of events. So, does that make drama text more fictional, because of the extra quoted matter? No, we can recognize what's fictional, or the truth of the related events, regardless of the extensive quotes. These don't make it fictional. Except that we assume the dialogues don't accurately reproduce words spoken by the real historical characters. But even so, the related events may be factual regardless of the excess quotes.

E.g., Shakespeare is not fiction just because his plays are mostly "direct speech" text. Some is fiction and some is fact. The exact words spoken are those of the author, but the events related by the dialogue are historical and factual in some cases, and we usually know when they're not, detecting the difference regardless of the large amount of quotation text. The quotes serve a legitimate role, such as to dramatize what's going on, but they don't prove or disprove the reported events.

Most literature cannot be neatly divided into "fact" vs. "fiction" categories.

There are historical facts contained in some "fiction" writings, even closely involved with the main plot. For much of the literature we don't know if the reported events are fact or fiction. Or, we can assume it's a combination of both, but the greater or lesser amount of quotations is not what tells us when it's fact or fiction.

The Alexander Romance might reasonably be classified as historical fact, with some fiction mixed in with it, because of the high percent of historical fact in it.

We can judge if a certain part is fiction or fact, or we can take a guess, or we can just say we don't know. What does counting the number of quotes have to do with it?

We do have reason to doubt the miracle stories in Acts, but not because of the extended quotes. Rather, there seems to be a borrowing from the Gospel accounts, or expansion on those earlier accounts of the Jesus miracles (e.g., Acts 9:36-41 compared to Luke 9:49-55). Whereas the Jesus miracle acts cannot be explained this way, having no possible derivation from earlier stories. So the Gospels and Acts are not in the same category as to whether the reported miracle events are fact or fiction. And this is determined regardless how many quotes there are in the text.

Although Pervo’s study is focused on Acts and not the NT Gospels, the Gospels have a similarly high proportion of direct speech, which . . .

I.e., quotations. If we're going to obsess so much on this "direct speech" or quotations in the Gospels, shouldn't we also be asking WHY they are there?

Why do the Gospels contain so many quotations? Does this abundance of quotes indicate something fictional going on? What's the reason for it? Did the writer think "I'm making up stories, so I must add lots of quotes."?

No, it's obvious what happened: Almost all the quotes are attributed to Jesus -- how accurately or inaccurately we cannot determine -- and the writer did this in order to give authority to the quoted words, because if Jesus said it, readers would believe it and attach greater importance to it.

So then we have to ask: Why were so many people ready to believe anything Jesus might say? Why was it such an effective tool for influencing people to attribute the words to Jesus? Whether he really said it or not -- either way, the writer is using those words to influence people. But why? How? How did it happen that this one speaker only, and no one else, was so widely trusted as an Authority to be cited by anyone crusading for a cause or philosophy?

Who else was such an Authority to whom teachings were attributed? Who else was being quoted over and over, even sometimes representing conflicting philosophies or schools of thought?

Why don't we have a similar phenomenon regarding John the Baptist? or Hillel? and many others? Why did the Gospel of Thomas writer attribute his sayings to Jesus and not to some other Authority or Teacher or Prophet, or a Platonist mystic?

(answer: Unlike the others, Jesus was a reputed miracle-worker, based on numerous oral and written reports.)

Is the Gospel of Thomas "fiction" because it's all "direct speech"?
Gospel of Thomas: https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org...ns/the-gospel-of-thomas-114-sayings-of-jesus/

If we have to accept Ferguson's "direct speech" rule -- "direct speech" indicates the fiction genre -- then the Gospel of Thomas must be fiction, because it's nothing but "direct speech" throughout.

So, what is the "fiction" of this Gospel?

E.g., it quotes Jesus saying:
(1) “The one who seeks should not cease seeking until he finds.
(2) And when he finds, he will be dismayed.
(3) And when he is dismayed, he will be astonished.
(4) And he will be king over the All.”

Do these words make any sense? Are they "fiction"? Are they psycho-babble?

If Ferguson is correct, this must be "fiction" because it's "direct speech" like this, throughout all 114 sayings. What is fiction about these sayings?

This document (Coptic language) is probably not Jewish, but some kind of Egyptian-Greek-Gnostic writing by someone who chose Jesus as his mouthpiece. Why did he choose this foreign Jesus to be his Prophet/Teacher, rather than a Greek or Egyptian teacher?

Even this document in itself contains contradictory teachings, all attributed to this one speaker. So the sayings probably come from different original authors rather than only one. Why did different ideas from different teachers all get put into the mouth of Jesus? attributed to him only and to no one else?

This is what needs to be asked and needs explaining. That a document contains more "direct speech" quotes like this doesn't tell us what is "fiction" or fact, but it does tell us that we have one person, and ONLY ONE, appearing during these many centuries, with whom all the different schools of thought wanted to identify, to get their teachings into his mouth one way or another.

Why were so many "direct speech" sayings attributed to Jesus?

and to no one else?

So if "direct speech" text is so important, we have to ask this question about the one single person who alone had all these words put into his mouth from so many different directions.

Rather than being mesmerized by the "ancient novel" and "historiography" and "authorial interjection" and "historical biography" jargon in Ferguson's endless parade of nomenclature and titles and expert authority figures dictating what "genre" the Gospels must go into, we should be asking why there was ONLY ONE Teacher or Authority figure to whom all the sayings were attributed -- or, in Acts, they were attributed to his apostles -- in these "direct speech" quotes Ferguson attaches so much importance to.

If these extensive quotes are supposed to tell us something, what they're telling us is that there was one person only, or one teacher-authority that everyone thought was the source of Truth, and who could give credibility to whatever truth or teaching or philosophy a crusader wanted to promote, and so you had to have your words spoken by this Jesus person of about 30 AD in order to get them out there to your intended audience, to recruit the believers you're seeking.

Why were there no other Messiah cults to choose from?

Why no other to serve as mouthpiece for evangelist-crusaders?

And forget the paranoia about "the Church" persecuting everyone else and burning all the non-Christian books. "The Church" didn't exist before 200 AD, and there's no evidence that anything was "burned" or that other such books existed except those using this same Jesus person as their mouthpiece, in the period before 300 AD, before the Council of Nicaea, before "the Church" had any power to ban anything.

So why did all the crusaders unite around this one person only, with nothing forcing them, most of them hating each other, agreeing only on this one Messiah figure as their "direct speech" Source of Truth? Why did ALL the crusaders choose this same historical figure and no one else as their "Messiah" or "Logos" or "Son of God" or "Prophet" to teach their sayings?

Why did all these different crusaders and ideologues and fanatics come together on this one person only instead of finding many different prophets or teachers to serve as "direct speech" outlets for their many divergent teachings? which would have worked far better for them, so they could distinguish themselves from the others, i.e., from the "false prophets"?

But no, Ferguson obsesses on his "genre" jargon abstractions, and avoids looking for any serious answers about the one to whom the "direct speech" quotes are attributed.

. . . the Gospels have a similarly high proportion of direct speech, which aligns their genre more closely with the ancient novel, than with ancient historiography and historical biography.

No, not if "the ancient novel" is something written several centuries later than the historical period it's about. No, the Gospels are more correctly aligned with other writings dated near to the events they report.

This rhetoric about "the ancient novel" is superficial and pretentious as long as Ferguson refuses to give an example of "the ancient novel" which is comparable to the Gospels or Acts accounts. These latter are documents reporting recent events, 40-70 years earlier, whereas Ferguson's only "ancient novel" examples are accounts written several centuries later than the reported events, putting them in a different category (or "genre") than the Gospels.

Though they are not "historiography" or "historical biography," they also are not "the ancient novel" if the only examples of this are something written centuries later than the reported events.

And the "ancient novel" Ferguson obsesses on the most, the Alexander romance, is actually more fact than fiction, if we just take its content at face value instead of being mesmerized by Ferguson's continued "genre" and "historiography" and "biography" and "ancient novel" jargon.

How do we know the Alexander Romance is "fiction"?

Cutting to the chase, what's the way to judge if the literature is fact or fiction?

How many historical errors do they contain? Ferguson actually gives us no evidence that this Alexander "ancient novel" is any less factual than most of the "historical" writings. In both these types there is fact and fiction, and he offers no survey of the writings to show a greater number of historical misstatements in the Alexander romance than in Josephus or Tacitus etc.

A real scholar would present us with such data, showing that document A is more "fictional" than document B, instead of running out long lists of authors and titles that mean nothing, and just fixating repeatedly on the number "direct speech" quotes in the text. This shows that he can offer no substance on the guidelines for distinguishing fact from fiction in the ancient literature, on which he pretends to be a scholarly authority.

Rather, he just falls back on the consensus that the "romance literature" is fiction. But he completely ignores WHY it's dismissed as fiction.

And why is it dismissed? How can we be sure the romance literature is fiction? Its unreliability for historical fact is due, more than any other one factor, to the lengthy time separation between the date the stories were written and the time of the reported events.

(this Wall of Text to be continued)

Last edited:
I thought this book review was interesting, in light of this discussion:

But to the credit of many [Christians] today, they have dismissed beliefs that for centuries have been considered part of the Christian package—no questions asked, literally. An enlightened and informed view of the world doesn’t leave room for virgin births, turning water into wine, floating up to a heaven that is just beyond the clouds. Many believers are willing to separate the wheat from the chaff—and stick to the essentials.

But what are the essentials?

I think its actually harder for those sort of lukewarm 'moveable feast' Christians to justify their flip-flop ditching of a miracle here and a doctrine there, than it would be to keep just them.

If you change doctrine in one direction - because you are embarrassed - you've dug yourself into an even deeper hole of explaining why you held it in the first place.

2v81hr7.jpg

Do the Gospels belong in a "GENRE" of literature which makes them necessarily "FICTION"?

(continued from previous Wall of Text)

I'm not impressed by Lumpenproletariat's spews. I haven't seen in them anything close to a discussion of modern scholarship concerning the origin of the Gospels.

Discussing such a large volume of literature as "modern scholarship concerning the origin of the Gospels" would require extensive Walls of Text beyond these, but the following and earlier spews on the lpetrich links will hopefully approach closer to such a discussion.

Here are some links on what the Gospels have in common with various works from antiquity nowadays considered fictional. . . .

Not only is there nothing significant "in common" between these, but the works cited are not necessarily even "fictional," if that means reported events which did not really happen, because actually much in these "various works" is historical fact. These works contain both fact and fiction, as virtually ALL the ancient writings did.

What other ancient documents are really in the same category as the Gospel accounts? Why can't lpetrich or anyone give at least one example, instead of this phony list?

(resuming notes from this first link)

footnote 15 [for this note it's first necessary to review the text]:
One thing that amazes me as a Classicist is just how interdependent the Gospels are upon each other. Matthew borrows from as much as 80% of Mark’s material, and Luke borrows from 65% of the material in the earliest gospel.

But this does not make the Mt and Lk authors dependent on Mark. Only a small fraction of either is dependent on Mark, while the large majority of both is independent of it.

While John does not follow the ipsissima verba of the Synoptics, the author is still aware of the same basic skeleton and is probably familiar with one or more of the earlier gospels . . .

No, it's more likely that he was familiar with different sources, which have been lost, which contain the "same basic skeleton" or same elements, including oral traditions. In 80 or 90 AD those 3 Gospels were only a small fraction of all the circulating written and oral accounts about the Jesus events. An indication of this is John 4:43:

After the two days he departed to Galilee. 44 For Jesus himself testified that a prophet has no honor in his own country. 45 So when he came to Galilee, . . .

This prophet-with-no-honor phrase makes no sense in John and is incoherent, but this writer had it from somewhere and so included it. But it's probably not Mark he took it from, because that source explains the phrase much differently than John presents it.

This goofy slogan is even found in the Gospel of Thomas (Saying 31):

Jesus said: No prophet is accepted in his own village, no doctor heals those who know him.
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/thomas/gospelthomas31.html

This shows that the John author had some quotes or "sayings" of some kind, which he included even though they don't fit with his own account; but which also he probably did NOT take from Mark. This saying actually makes no sense, but it was circulating in some form, and John included it even though it's obscure and meaningless. I.e., the author included it not because it promotes his interpretation or makes any sense, but because he had it in his sources and felt he had to include it, showing that the Gospel writers generally included what they had in their sources, i.e., much content which they did not invent themselves.

The accounts, the stories, sayings, etc. were circulating in one form or another, so we don't know which source the author used in each case, except that Mt and Lk quote from Mark. But there were many different pieces of the whole story circulating, in many sources, not just the 4 Gospels, and each author took what he had and tried to put it together into a complete single narrative, to make sense of it, and especially adding his interpretation to it.

Each writer interpreted it differently, but there had to be some basic real event(s) which happened originally, explaining the emergence of these 4 accounts, each of which tried to present what happened in a proper organized form -- even though the pieces do not all make sense or fit neatly together.

And what's important is not these 4 accounts per se and others, but rather, it's the actual event of about 30 AD which matters, for which we need the written accounts (to tell us about it), i.e., the singular event which they thought mattered, even though the pieces we have of it don't fit together very well, as is to be expected with a real event, in a short time period, having importance, unplanned by anyone, and interpreted differently by those knowing of it.

. . . While John does not follow the ipsissima verba of the Synoptics, the author is still aware of the same basic skeleton and is probably familiar with one or more of the earlier gospels (as shown by scholar Louis Ruprecht in This Tragic Gospel).

No, Ruprecht does not show that the John author is familiar with the other 3 Gospels. His theory is based on psychologically diagnosing the author, not showing any derivation of John from the other versions. There are clear indications that the author was unfamiliar with the other 3 Gospels. E.g., he did not know the name "Mary" as the mother of Jesus to whom he gives a prominent role in two places (2:1-12 and 19:25-27), though he would have known this name if he had read any of the other 3 Gospels.

In fact, I know of almost no other texts from antiquity that share as much material as the canonical Gospels [15].

This reflects the large number of sources -- written and oral -- other than just these 4 Gospel accounts, which were circulating and telling the same basic story, and which point to the original unusual event which must have happened, and without which it makes no sense that these accounts and the Paul epistles exist at all, with their claims about the one who resurrected. All the evidence we have points to the unusual event of about 30 AD which must have happened and then resulted in this unusual production of differing accounts of it.

Of course one can speculate that the unusual event which happened did not include the miracle happenings, and that these are somehow fictional. But then, what is it that really did happen, and how did these 4 accounts come about which report these events?

To prove it's fictional, one must come up with other cases of similar claims and seek an explanation for them which puts these 4 accounts, and Paul's version of the Resurrection, into a framework which conforms to the normal pattern of miracle legends in the ancient world. Yet they can't find any such pattern of reported miracle events, recorded in documents near to the historical period.

There are other cases of such reported miracle events? This one case is NOT different, and DOES fit into a pattern? Then what is the pattern? What's another example? Why is Ferguson unable to name another reported miracle event? Why is it that the best he can offer is a prediction which came true, and this is the closest he can find to a reported miracle event?

And why does he keep obsessing on only the Alexander and Aesop romances as "fiction" literature comparable to the Gospels? Why can't he offer anything else?

(The answer must be that either there is nothing comparable -- the Gospels are in a one-of-a-kind category -- OR, there is something comparable, but it's actually in the NON-fiction category.)

[15]One exception is the genre of popular-novelistic biography. As I explain in my essay “Greek Popular Biography: Romance, Contest, Gospel,” both the Alexander Romance and the Life of Aesop exist in . . .

Here we go again! same dissimilar examples he keeps repeating over and over.

. . . the Alexander Romance and the Life of Aesop exist in multiple recensions that directly copy and redact material from earlier texts.

But this copying and redacting is from documents spread out over many centuries, with virtually all of it written hundreds of years later than the reported historical events, unlike the Gospels compressed into a period of about 40 years.

Those romance novels are about earlier popular romantic hero figures -- Alexander and Aesop -- who became mythologized over many centuries. These are easily explained as normal legend heroes whose story became amplified over those many centuries. And actually there is much historical fact contained in them, along with the likely fiction elements -- so Ferguson's "fiction" category isn't worth much, having arguably as much fact as fiction in it. (In the case of Alexander, some of the mythologizing likely began early, while he was still alive, but only oral, no written accounts, and no miracle acts by him.)

There's virtually nothing early in these documents, near the time of the actual events, because no one thought the events were important enough to write them down to be preserved for future generations, as the Jesus events were recorded early and copied and recopied because of their importance. Even Alexander's miracle birth is not in any document near his time, though perhaps this legend was beginning to circulate orally at that early point.

How are these "romance novels" in the same "genre" as the Gospel accounts?

The major features of the Gospel accounts include at least:

• that they date early after the events allegedly happened, not centuries later, and

• that they contain a jarring number of miracle acts.

These two very prominent facts about the Gospels are missing from Ferguson's examples of "romance novels" he falsely puts in the same "genre" as the Gospels.

There are no miracle claims in these "romance novels" which can be compared to the Jesus miracle acts. The closest are some exaggeration of the number of enemies killed by Alexander in the battle scenes, some of which were monsters or freakish beasts. But that's not any superhuman act, and can so easily be explained that it's ludicrous to compare it to the Jesus reported miracle acts, which cannot be explained as a product of mythologizing.

Alexander was obviously a famous celebrity hero during his lifetime and attracted much fascination and gossip from millions of fans in many nations. Whereas Jesus was a virtual unknown in his time, having a public reputation only in the local region.

So it is pseudo-scholarly to put the Gospels into the same category as those romance novels.

For a legitimate comparison to Jesus in the Gospels, you have to find some other literature, written near to the time of the reported events, not centuries later, and which focuses on a single event which is claimed to have happened within the chronological history, or within the recorded historical events. The Alexander and Aesop romance literature is not in this category and cannot be compared to the Gospel accounts as being of a similar "genre" or category of literature.

That they lack any miracle acts attributed to the hero figure is also a major difference putting them in a different category.

This kind of open textuality is characteristic only of novelistic biographies, however, and is atypical of the style of historical biographers, such as Plutarch and Suetonius, who would exercise far more authorial control over their texts.

("open textuality" = series of many documents, later ones using and/or adding to the earlier)

But this textuality is also atypical of the Gospels, which derive their material from a short time span, only a few decades, rather than sprawled out over many centuries like the Alexander and Aesop romances. Why can't Ferguson find something actually of the same "genre" as the Gospel accounts for comparison? How this Greek romance literature came together over many centuries has a completely different explanation than how the Gospels came together over a period of 40-70 years, even if there was some borrowing by later writers from the earlier.

Though the texts did evolve or expand, this does not make the two types of literature the same (the same "genre"). Expanding over a period of 40 years is totally different than expanding over a 500-year period. The Gospels do contain pieces from earlier sources than the redactor/editor of 70 (80/90) AD, but these pieces did not come together in any way similar to the way the Alexander and Aesop romances came together in pieces spread out over many centuries of legend development.

A theory which totally ignores this time gap of centuries cannot be used to explain anything. Your theory first has to get its facts straight. And the time gap between the event and the later written account is a major fact about the literature.

(this Wall of Text to be continued)

I think its actually harder for those sort of lukewarm 'moveable feast' Christians to justify their flip-flop ditching of a miracle here and a doctrine there, than it would be to keep just them.

If you change doctrine in one direction - because you are embarrassed - you've dug yourself into an even deeper hole of explaining why you held it in the first place.

View attachment 15946
Yep, you guys should have never ditched the geocentric universe model....it all kind of started unraveling after that.

Though this deeper hole notion might explain why there are these walls of mindless text, trying to fill that deep hole.

It appears to be a case of Victory through Volume.......
Don't think so. I'd say it is more of a case of Mental Masturbation...then ahhhhhhhh...a Win.

Back
Top Bottom