• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

120 Reasons to Reject Christianity

No, that's the point. Your god behaves exactly like it would if it didn't exist....

Yeah, oh well. So there's you on the one hand saying God doesn't exist based on your failed ultimatum experiment.
Or is he saying he simply has no reason to believe in your god based on the failed experiment? You seem adverse to degrees of differences between atheistic positions.
Then there's quite a lot more people saying the exact opposite - claiming that God HAS acted tangibly in their lives.

I wonder what that can possibly mean.
And once more, does their testimony actually REQUIRE a supernatural event in order to explain their testimony?

No I'm not saying they are all equally 'valid'.

I'm saying that the quran and the book of mormon are both about the God of Abraham so to some extent they point to a higher truth even if only partially. (Even a broken clock tells the right time once a day - unintentionally)

If I go up to a roulette table with a friend, and one of us says the next spin will come up black, while the other one says it will come up red, then one of us has successfully predicted the future. Wow! But since we don't know which one it is until the wheel stops, that's of no help whatsoever. Being right by accident provides no advantage over being wrong.

Yeah, oh well. So there's you on the one hand saying God doesn't exist based on your failed ultimatum experiment.
Or is he saying he simply has no reason to believe in your god based on the failed experiment?
And reality is that we learn a hell of a lot from tests that give null results.

In this case we learned that either there is no god or he does not answer prayers as promised in the Bible.

In this case we learned that either there is no god or he does not answer prayers as promised in the Bible.
Which then leads to wondering why some people get report positive results?
It can't be that they're all believers, because so many of them report that they were atheists (or agnostics or witches or democrats) until the positive results of prayer changed them to the faithful.

So Atheos' premise appears to remain sound. At least, according to many of the faithful.

Catching back up from Lumpen's post from back on 10-1-16. Lumpen, I am not a huge fan of participating in the extended back-and-forth responses, and so will try to keep this a bit briefer here and reply largely just to the more significant points. If there is something else you would like me to respond to, please feel free to refer to it in your reply back.

As a general lesson, I think you need to more clearly differentiate in your own mind the 2 different concepts of VALUES that organisms (humans or other animals) holds and STRATEGIES they use to try to maximize their fulfillment of those values. They can very well sometimes be difficult concepts to differentiate, but in your own replies and responses it looks as though you are sometimes blending them and mixing them up, resulting in some confusion.

The way dogs respond to humans clearly shows that they have high regard for what the humans want. And in some cases they risk their lives, even sacrifice themselves, serving humans.

This doesn't mean they're thinking the thought "Humans are superior to other animals," but they have some intuition or instinct that the humans are special and should be served or protected in ways that don't apply to other animals.

Maybe that is because they hold special value to humans, and think humans should be a protected species because they can benefit themselves and other organisms as well. The end result, regardless, is the organism doing what they want for themselves and what they think will maximize their own pleasure and minimize their own pain in some way. That is the goal, and then how to go about achieving it is what marks the strategy to it.

Laws protecting livestock animals are done for the welfare of those animals and can cause a higher cost which consumers have to pay. Obviously the motive for these laws is not human benefit, but the welfare of the animals. Much animal protection activity has nothing to do with human pleasure, but just with doing what we feel an obligation to do for their benefit.

You have quite a massive misreading of what is happening there though. We take pleasure in fulfilling some (but not all) obligations that we hold, and so to do that will sometimes include taking measures (and making laws) to protect other animals, even if a cost to do so is something like a higher level of pay, as you say. We still consider it a worthwhile price to pay for the benefit it can also bring us, namely pleasure in helping out other animals.

The more intelligent animal is the one which is "more valuable to the universe" or has the higher intrinsic value.

Note that it is you who is saying that, and putting those words into the mouth of the universe (so-to-speak). The universe has never uttered those words though, you are just interpreting the actions in it that way.

Again, these words are in quotes, meaning they're not to be taken literally. This was your phrase originally, not mine. I adopted it from you and assumed your meaning overlapped with my understanding.

Can you provide a link to the post where I stated that? I suspect there is another misreading and misunderstanding here, and I just want to clarify such. Thank you.

Intelligence does have greater value than hair color. We do not have any choice to deny this fact. Virtually everyone recognizes this fact of life.

To deny this, you have to give an example of someone not recognizing it and putting more value on hair color than on intelligence. Is it possible to give such an example?

The misunderstanding you have rests on the mixup of the concepts of "intersubjective" and "objective." When some individual holds some specific value, feeling, emotion, etc. then we say that it is a "subjective" quality. When multiple people hold that same subjective value though, it is a misunderstanding to think of it as "objective." It is actually more appropriately referred to as "intersubjective." When some characteristic is "objective," that applies when it is true regardless of what any people (or other organisms) perceives it as. So if some individual likes the singer Bruce Springsteen more than any other artist, that would be subjective to that person. If multiple people think Springsteen was the best artist, that would be intersubjective to those people. It would only really be "objective" if it was a fact of the universe that Bruce Springsteen was the best music artist. Since that is not the case (and cannot be either), it is inappropriate to declare Springsteen as being "objectively good" in this same way. That phrase is just a self-contradiction and makes no sense, same as saying that intelligence or hair color has more value than the other, as a fact of the universe. No, it is a declaration of value by people, not a declaration of or statement by the universe itself.

The universe, or any deity inside or outside of the universe, has not declared intelligence or hair color either as being more valuable.

Nor has the universe "declared" that the sun is farther away from us than the moon. So then, it's our choice that the sun is farther from us than the moon? We made that so by deciding it, or choosing it?

No, but whether the sun or moon is farther away from us is a physical statement about nature. It is an objective fact.

When we humans say that "brunette is nicer than blonde" or vice versa, or "hair color is more valuable than intelligence" or vice versa, it is moreso a statement of our own preferences and tastes, not a physical statement about a fact of the universe itself that would be true regardless of what any organisms said about it. Some things are just true, some things are just false, fullstop. They are not matters of our own preferences.

I will end the response here for now. As mentioned above though, if there is something else you mentioned and would like me to respond to, please feel free to holler it again and I will get to it in time.

Thanks,

Brian

They are evidence that the Jesus miracles really happened, unlike other miracle legends for which there is not comparable evidence. I.e., in the other million or so miracle legends, no one took the trouble to record the events and copy them and publish them for future generations.

For the Jesus miracle legend we have the same kind of evidence that we have for our standard historical facts, unlike other miracle legends for which no record was left, or virtually none. So the wide circulation of these accounts, oral and written, among such a large number of believers is evidence that the miracle stories are really true. Just as our belief in standard historical facts is also based on this kind of evidence.

This is the worst kind of bullshit because it sounds like something a priest or preacher who has studied the Bible would say, but it is based on the worst kind of brainwashing lies that only people who don't question their beliefs rely on. I was brainwashed as a child into the Jesus cult when I was too young to know the difference between right and wrong, or question what I was told.

Here is a history course about whether or not the historical Jesus really existed - https://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u/historical-jesus/id384233911?mt=10

And here is another one from Oxford about the Old Testament - http://oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies/rlst-145

Why would a moral god that has any sense of right and wrong put in the Bible that we might be tortured for eternity if we don't believe everything in the Bible? Is it morally acceptable for god to torture the people who have been disagreeing with you in this thread in the eternal lake of fire? The Bible can't even give us a good answer about who was the grandfather of Jesus, but we are supposed to obey all the words as if they don't contradict each other.

Why would a moral god that has any sense of right and wrong put in the Bible that we might be tortured for eternity if we don't believe everything in the Bible? Is it morally acceptable for god to torture the people who have been disagreeing with you in this thread in the eternal lake of fire?

That chaff just burns and burns and burns forever. And yet amazingly it never disintegrates into ash/carbon dust. Those flames must be stone cold.

Besides, maybe there are people who don't want to be in heaven. *shrug*
Christopher Hitchens, in his early years, used to say he hated the idea of God and heaven/afterlife.

But in one of his last interviews he had apparently softened, saying that he wouldn't mind being surprised to find it (the afterlife) true. Very touching interview. 60 Minutes I think it was.

Christopher Hitchens, in his early years, used to say he hated the idea of God and heaven/afterlife.

But in one of his last interviews he had apparently softened, saying that he wouldn't mind being surprised to find it (the afterlife) true. Very touching interview. 60 Minutes I think it was.

Link, or it never happened. I very much doubt that Hitchens would have said he "wouldn't mind being surprised to find" what he called a "celestial North Korea" to be true. This seems as likely to have happened as the bogus claim in a book about Hitchens by Larry Taunton, an evangelical xian, that Hitchens "contemplate(d), among other things, religious conversion".

I think - when asked if he had changed his mind about the afterlife - his exact words were "I like surprises." Pretty sure it was 60 Minutes.

Around about that same time, he was reading a book (biography) on the life of a certain G.K. Chesterton....probably the greatest Christian apologist who ever lived.
(English atheists who convert to Christianity always excel at apologetics.)

Malcolm Muggeridge
C.S. Lewis
Alister McGrath
Peter Hitchens (Chistopher's brother.)
Richard Dawkins....oh, wait. He hasn't converted yet.

In a way, Christopher Hitchens made an outstanding contribution to Christian apologetics.
Man I loved that guy! He shook up millions of lethargic, apathetic Christians.
It wasn't atheists buying his books in such huge numbers.

Imagine what he could have done with more time. :(

I think - when asked if he had changed his mind about the afterlife - his exact words were "I like surprises." Pretty sure it was 60 Minutes.

Around about that same time, he was reading a book (biography) on the life of a certain G.K. Chesterton....probably the greatest Christian apologist who ever lived.
(English atheists who convert to Christianity always excel at apologetics.)

Malcolm Muggeridge
C.S. Lewis
Alister McGrath
Peter Hitchens (Chistopher's brother.)

So no link, but you "think" that's what he said? Don't be surprised that I remain doubtful.

I think Lion was saying from the top of his head but wasn't sure which programme it was on. You can however check the others on the list.

I think Lion was saying from the top of his head but wasn't sure which programme it was on. You can however check the others on the list.

Whether it's off the top of his head or pulled out of his arse, it's just yet another unsubstantiated claim. And, given Hitchens' many disparaging statements about the afterlife, a highly dubious one. I have no reason to check the others on his list, as he makes no claims about them (although I have my doubts about his listing of Muggeridge as an atheist; an agnostic at most, I would have thought).

I would ask simply this of apologists: if you're going to make a claim about something you "think" somebody said, first find out if they really said it, and include links to the statement, or the video it's in, or whatever, with the claim. That way you don't leave yourself open to accusations of making shit up and, anyway, it's only common courtesy to do your own research.

http://www.mhpbooks.com/hitchens-crashes-60-minutes/

'“I ought never to say there’s nothing that will change my mind, so, shall I just say that no evidence has yet been presented that would change my mind…but I like surprises!” (with respect to his views on the almighty)'

So, he didn’t want to sound dogmatic about it, but there’s no evidence and he’d be surprised to find there was any. That is not a surprising view for an atheist who’s aligned with empiricism not dogmatism. The man’s moral stance was the same as what Smoker said, which Lion IRC dredged a cherry-picked remembrance of this up in response to. The Christian ‘worldview’ is morally abhorrent.

[ Christopher Hitchens, in his early years, used to say he hated the idea of God and heaven/afterlife.

'“I ought never to say there’s nothing that will change my mind, so, shall I just say that no evidence has yet been presented that would change my mind…but I like surprises!”

When skeptics say stuff like ...citation or it never happened, rather than running off to play Google bus-boy for them, my first inclination is to ask what difference will that make. Mr Hitchens DID say what I claimed he said. And his answer was in response to the proposition that the afterlife might exist. And a citation or link doesn't prove or disprove that it happened. All that results is folks going into spin mode.

...oh, that doesn't mean he would like to be surprised.
...oh well he was probably just drug affected.
...oh he was just being a good open-minded skeptic as usual.

How unusual. An apologist can't quite support his own claim, but the critics are welcome to do the spade work.

These names are easy to find, they have tons of videos too. Not much effort needed in this regard on the list.

Oh, OK, well if it's easy, you just do it and post a link here for us all then.

Or isn't it as easy as you are claiming?

When skeptics say stuff like ...citation or it never happened, rather than running off to play Google bus-boy for them, my first inclination is to ask what difference will that make. Mr Hitchens DID say what I claimed he said. And his answer was in response to the proposition that the afterlife might exist.
But I suspect that the full context of his reply would not support the idea that he had somehow 'softened' on the idea of an afterlife. Rather, he was being scrupulous about doubt vs. certainty.
And a citation or link doesn't prove or disprove that it happened. All that results is folks going into spin mode.
Well, yes. Exactly.
It's my suspicion that YOU are spinning his response.
That would be why we would want the citation.
...oh, that doesn't mean he would like to be surprised.
...oh well he was probably just drug affected.
...oh he was just being a good open-minded skeptic as usual.
Or you could provide the citation, and deal with the actual responses, rather than try yet again to put words into people's mouths, huh?

I have seen another Hitchens quote where he was complaining that once a person is diagnosed as terminal, the believers come out of the woodwork, asking if he's changed his mind on the afterlife. THEY seem to think it's polite, but to him, it appears that they're insisting that his stance was merely an affectation, and the awareness of death would bring out their truth.
So, it seems unlikely that he softened on the afterlife as you suggest. But, hey, maybe you have a citation that actually supports your claim?

- - - Updated - - -

How unusual. An apologist can't quite support his own claim, but the critics are welcome to do the spade work.

I can support my claim.
Cool!
Then maybe I should have said 'won't.' My apologies.
At least at the moment, i'll shift to 'hasn't.'

Back
Top Bottom