• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

2020 Election Results

Republicans have ‘concerns’ about Trump — but won’t let reporters quote them by name about it - The Washington Post
Reporter John Bresnahan:
Democrats expressed private concerns about Bill Clinton’s indiscretions with White House intern Monica Lewinsky. Republicans confessed private concerns about George W. Bush’s handling of the Iraq War. Democrats shared private concerns about Barack Obama’s aloofness to the backroom negotiations where Congress gets its real work done.

But then came Donald Trump. And, boy, did his party’s lawmakers ever have concerns. And those concerns? The most private ever.

Bresnahan, the senior political congressional reporter for Politico, had no trouble getting Republicans to open their hearts to him about Trump leaning on the Ukrainian president to investigate Joe Biden, or his “both sides” equivocating about the white nationalist march in Charlottesville, or some of the troubling findings in the Mueller report and revelations in John Bolton’s book — but almost always on an off-the-record, no-name, no-fingerprints basis.
Then,
“If a Republican official isn’t willing to say openly that Trump’s legal battles are as destructive as they are hopeless, it’s hard to discern the news value in quoting them anonymously,” said Bill Grueskin, a professor at Columbia University School of Journalism.

Bresnahan understands why they didn’t go public. There’s never been a president who has been willing to publicly go after his enemies the way Trump has, he said.

“Look at the people who have stood up to Trump — they’ve gotten hammered down. And Trump knows that.”
That reminds me of something AOC once said about her colleagues. She noted that it was odd that for such powerful people, they seem to have so much fear.

GOP lawmaker compares Japanese internment to alleged fraud that cost Trump election | TheHill

Rep. Clay Higgins (R-LA)
“The internment of 120K American citizens of Japanese ancestry during World War II happened," Higgins wrote. “It was real. It was wrong. It was abhorrent.

“And it was challenged in court as a violation of Constitutional rights. The Supreme Court of the United States did not stop it," he continued. "Lessons of history. They were 120 thousand. We are 75 million.”

Higgins then said that those that voted for Trump “will not take a knee to oppression,” adding that the election was “corrupted by coordinated massive fraud and by unconstitutional election process manipulation in major cities of key states.”

“If your rationale for kneeling is based upon a contemporary general acceptance of unconstitutional oppression and lack of Court intervention, then I ask you ... if you were a Japanese American in WWII ... would you just concede? Would you kneel?” Higgins wrote.

“If your answer is yes, then perhaps you should kneel. You’ll be out of our way," he added.
I'd like to introduce him to Michelle Malkin, a certified right-winger who has defended that internment.

Ben Wermund on Twitter: "Texas GOP chair says in light of Supreme Court tossing out Texas case, "Perhaps law-abiding states should bond together and form a Union of states that will abide by the constitution.” https://t.co/j84IKPrwqy" / Twitter
His statement:
The Supreme Court, in tossing the Texas lawsuit that was joined by seventeen states and 106 US congressman, have decreed that a state can take unconstitutional actions and violate its own election law. Resulting in damaging effects on other states that abide by the law, while the guilty state suffers no consequences. This decision establishes a precedent that says states can violate the US constitution and not be held accountable. This decision will have far reaching ramifications for the future of our constitutional republic. Perhaps law-abiding states should bond together and form a Union of states that will abide by the constitution.

Then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "A Confederacy of Dunces" / Twitter
Like this?  A Confederacy of Dunces

Justin Amash on Twitter: "The election fraud hoax will go down as one of the most embarrassing and dishonorable episodes in American political history, and countless Republican officials went along with it and promoted it." / Twitter
Justin Amash is a former Republican politician.

Adam Schiff on Twitter: "The Texas case was not a close call. At all.

Just an effort to overturn a democratic election dressed up in shabby legal clothing.

Republicans who supported it compromised their beliefs, ideology, and oaths.

They stand for nothing. Care about nothing.

Except themselves." / Twitter

We've long known that essentially every Republican Congressman or legislator is a criminal hack, committing treasons in exchange for bribes, but ...
[*]States with GOP attorneys general backing Texas: AL, AR, AZ, FL, IN, KS, LA, MO, MS, MT, ND, NE, OK, SC, SD, TN, UT, WV
:confused: ... aren't attorneys-general supposed to be the very definition of the Rule of Law? :confused:

Nineteen state attorneys-general (Nineteen, with an N!) went on record that they wanted to abandon America's 230-year-old democracy! All to keep a whimpering treasonous sociopath in office. The mind boggles! Departments of "Justice" and American democracy in general will be held in contempt for the rest of our lifetimes.

Do these attorneys-general have families? Will their children have any respect at all for their fathers? (Or mothers? -- How many of these traitors are women?) Do the spouses have to take special medication so they can sleep with their traitor without vomiting?

Ben Wermund on Twitter: "Texas GOP chair says in light of Supreme Court tossing out Texas case, "Perhaps law-abiding states should bond together and form a Union of states that will abide by the constitution.” https://t.co/j84IKPrwqy" / Twitter
His statement:
The Supreme Court, in tossing the Texas lawsuit that was joined by seventeen states and 106 US congressman, have decreed that a state can take unconstitutional actions and violate its own election law. Resulting in damaging effects on other states that abide by the law, while the guilty state suffers no consequences. This decision establishes a precedent that says states can violate the US constitution and not be held accountable. This decision will have far reaching ramifications for the future of our constitutional republic. Perhaps law-abiding states should bond together and form a Union of states that will abide by the constitution.

Then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "A Confederacy of Dunces" / Twitter
Like this?  A Confederacy of Dunces

Justin Amash on Twitter: "The election fraud hoax will go down as one of the most embarrassing and dishonorable episodes in American political history, and countless Republican officials went along with it and promoted it." / Twitter
Justin Amash is a former Republican politician.

Adam Schiff on Twitter: "The Texas case was not a close call. At all.

Just an effort to overturn a democratic election dressed up in shabby legal clothing.

Republicans who supported it compromised their beliefs, ideology, and oaths.

They stand for nothing. Care about nothing.

Except themselves." / Twitter

I'll put my bets on a liberal camp having more agreement among themselves over time. The conservatives, wholly emotionally driven, will tear themselves apart in short order.

GOP lawmaker compares Japanese internment to alleged fraud that cost Trump election | TheHill

Rep. Clay Higgins (R-LA)
“The internment of 120K American citizens of Japanese ancestry during World War II happened," Higgins wrote. “It was real. It was wrong. It was abhorrent.

“And it was challenged in court as a violation of Constitutional rights. The Supreme Court of the United States did not stop it," he continued. "Lessons of history. They were 120 thousand. We are 75 million.”

Higgins then said that those that voted for Trump “will not take a knee to oppression,” adding that the election was “corrupted by coordinated massive fraud and by unconstitutional election process manipulation in major cities of key states.”

“If your rationale for kneeling is based upon a contemporary general acceptance of unconstitutional oppression and lack of Court intervention, then I ask you ... if you were a Japanese American in WWII ... would you just concede? Would you kneel?” Higgins wrote.

“If your answer is yes, then perhaps you should kneel. You’ll be out of our way," he added.
I'd like to introduce him to Michelle Malkin, a certified right-winger who has defended that internment.
It seems stupid and what not, but honestly this seems to be a dangerous change in tactic, which I'm seeing in a few places.

They are effectively now arguing that they have the evidence, but the courts are stonewalling them. I say this is dangerous because it sets the standard of proof at "accusation" and that it is no longer important to be able to prove something happened, you just need to say it did. Their failure in the courts wasn't because their claims are a sham. Their case was 'too good' and the courts had to stop it from being heard and vindicating Trump. This is dangerously Orwellian.

[TWEET][FONT=&quot]https://twitter.com/jen_aradia/status/1337663994631360514?s=20[/FONT][/TWEET]

Rep. Clay Higgins (R-LA)

It seems stupid and what not, but honestly this seems to be a dangerous change in tactic, which I'm seeing in a few places.

They are effectively now arguing that they have the evidence, but the courts are stonewalling them. I say this is dangerous because it sets the standard of proof at "accusation" and that it is no longer important to be able to prove something happened, you just need to say it did. Their failure in the courts wasn't because their claims are a sham. Their case was 'too good' and the courts had to stop it from being heard and vindicating Trump. This is dangerously Orwellian.

Salem Witch Trial material.

Rep. Clay Higgins (R-LA)

Remember these are the same people who campaigned on 'fuck your feelings' and 'he won, get over it', so it's not like they care about being hypocritical douchenozzles.

Tribalism run amok.

Rep. Clay Higgins (R-LA)

The bright side is that it might make less of those sycophants go to the polls and vote.

But lets go deep state Orwellian. There's a loss of trust in the voting process, the game is rigged, voting is a scam, and so the Trumpies shun voting. But we soon discover that the ruse was all spawned by the democrats to do precisely that, suppress the competing vote. It's absolutely brilliant!

Oh the Trumpies, to vote or not to vote...

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/RElliotWSB/status/1338536054098440196[/TWEET]

I could see Republicans setting up a cosplay government for the next 4 years with Trump down at Mar a Lago at the tremendous, legitimate White House.

Orange is the new black. Hatred is the new patriotism. Lies are the new truth. I just read that the Lincoln Project had little effect on "undecided" voters — appealing to their intellects was always an oxymoron.
... I say this is dangerous because it sets the standard of proof at "accusation" and that it is no longer important to be able to prove something happened, you just need to say it did. Their failure in the courts wasn't because their claims are a sham. Their case was 'too good' and the courts had to stop it from being heard and vindicating Trump. This is dangerously Orwellian.
The bright side is that it might make less of those sycophants go to the polls and vote.

But lets go deep state Orwellian. There's a loss of trust in the voting process, the game is rigged, voting is a scam, and so the Trumpies shun voting. But we soon discover that the ruse was all spawned by the democrats to do precisely that, suppress the competing vote. It's absolutely brilliant!
Yes. In the days leading up to the Georgia run-off we need a preacher to hold big revivals, offering free chicken and free beer. Invoking Jesus' name a lot, explain to Georgians that the deep state will know who votes for Repubs (but not who writes in Donald Trump's name); the IRS will audit them and sell their daughters into slavery. "Hail Jesus."

It would be best to get an already-established evangelistic kook to play the role: Offer him a private jet, or a 13 year-old girl. Incite the rubes into thinking that NOT voting in the run-off election is the act of defiance Jesus wants.

Yes, further incitement of Trumpist stupidity may cause the rubes to kill some dozens of "deep state" people, but this loss of life is dwarfed by the toll that will be the cost of Moscow Mitch continuing his strangle-hold on America.

As I write this, the electoral-college vote is just about done, and only Hawaii is left, with its 4 EV's.

Trump Allies Eye Long-Shot Election Overturn in Congress, Testing Pence - The New York Times - "Some House Republicans plan to try to use Congress’s tallying of electoral results on Jan. 6 to tip the election to President Trump. The attempt will put Republicans in a pinch."
Constitutional scholars and even members of the president’s own party say the effort is all but certain to fail. But the looming battle on Jan. 6 is likely to culminate in a messy and deeply divisive spectacle that could thrust Vice President Mike Pence into the excruciating position of having to declare once and for all that Mr. Trump has indeed lost the election.

The fight promises to shape how Mr. Trump’s base views the election for years to come, and to pose yet another awkward test of allegiance for Republicans who have privately hoped that the Electoral College vote this week will be the final word on the election result.
He has to acknowledge that his side lost.

Electoral college vote 2020: Live state-by-state coverage and updates - Sen. John Thune, party whip and Senate Republican second-in-command, has acknowledged the electors' votes.

Trump's Attorney General Bill Barr Stepping Down
Trump Says Attorney General Bill Barr Will Step Down Weeks After Barr Said There Wasn't Widespread Voter Fraud

Barr was ousted after publicly undermining Trump’s theory that the election was rigged for President-elect Joe Biden.

President Donald Trump tweeted Monday that Attorney General Bill Barr will step down with just a month remaining in his administration, two weeks after Barr publicly threw cold water on the president’s insistence that his election loss was illegitimate because of widespread voter fraud.
What a sore loser. Also, Trump doesn't seem to have said anything about the Electoral College vote today.

What he said:
Bill Barr: No Evidence Of Voter Fraud To Change Election

Trump’s Pardons Have Been Sparse and Self-Serving — And That’s Without Even Pardoning His Kids | FiveThirtyEight
First, Trump has been unusually stingy with the pardon power up until now, even by modern standards. And second, almost all of his acts of clemency (which include commutations as well as pardons) have gone to people he knows, like former national security adviser Michael Flynn, or to those with whom he may curry political favor, like the two Oregon cattle ranchers who were at the center of a dispute over federal land involving states’ rights activist Ammon Bundy.

That track record, legal experts told me, is pretty much the exact opposite of how the presidential pardon power was intended to function, which was as a check on abuses by the legislative or judicial branches. “Many of Trump’s pardons … could fairly be characterized as more about his personal interests than serving justice,” Jeffrey Crouch, a professor at American University and an expert on executive clemency, said in an email. “Pardons are normally granted to people who have turned their lives around, shown remorse and want a pardon,” Crouch told me, adding that this just isn’t the story line that has emerged from four years of Trump. “[His] clemency approach is that clemency is less available to average people than it is to those with the right group of connections.”

Why The GOP Isn’t Able To Win The Popular Vote | FiveThirtyEight - no transcript, sad to say

Trump Was Never Very Popular, But How Will Americans View Him (And Biden) Now? | FiveThirtyEight
notes
Approval Ratings and Re-Election Odds | FiveThirtyEight

Presidents with low approval ratings tend to lose, as one might expect. There are some exceptions, like Harry Truman winning despite more disapproval than approval and Gerald Ford having the reverse, but they are small exceptions.

Back
Top Bottom