• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

2022 Midterm Elections - Results and Post Mortem

OH leans Rep. Men outweighed women in voting. Da fuq?!
One pound, one vote!
87A6.gif

A yo Derec!! I'm expecting the democrats to be disappointed with the results of this election because it will be business as usual. Split right down the middle like TomC's ass.
A yo Gospel!
I would expect them to be elated. Without Dobbs and GOP nominating a bumbling idiot and a snake oil salesman from out of state, this would have went much worse for the Dems.

So what is first on the Democrat agenda after defeating the Republicans in this midterm?
Simple. Codify Hunter as the one and true President; invade and enslave Eastern Europe and Taiwan; fire all police; enshrine CRT as the primary purpose for kindergarten training: forgive all debt for college students foreign and domestic; throw very large party.

So what is first on the Democrat agenda after defeating the Republicans in this midterm?
Simple. Codify Hunter as the one and true President; invade and enslave Eastern Europe and Taiwan; fire all police; enshrine CRT as the primary purpose for kindergarten training: forgive all debt for college students foreign and domestic; throw very large party.
And get rid of this shit once and for all:
3F3BEC7C-E3E4-40E8-B8EF-2A646D62D9D1.jpeg

The Dems don’t have the Senate yet. Georgia is likely going to a runoff unless mail-ins pull heavy to Warnock. NV looks lost, the Dems need Georgia, poor Georgian streamers.

Why do you call Gilbert "cheap plastic and completely cardboard cutout"?
Yeah, using demeaning and derogatory nicknames and descriptions is wrong and bad!
Who is Gilbert again? I knew who sykes was, who the fuck is Gilbert?

A columnist for the Washington Times, I’m young, and support Trump? what were her plans? Support Trump. Political identity, Trump. She is a pretty right-wing fascist. I hate pretty right-wing fascists. I also hate the unpretty ones too.

Sykes is from a smallish time local political family, a liberal, and more identifies with the population that was diluted in the gerrymandering of my district.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Dems don’t have the Senate yet. Georgia is likely going to a runoff unless mail-ins pull heavy to Warnock. NV looks lost, the Dems need Georgia, poor Georgian streamers.
Yes. The senate is too close to call. Looks like house will go republican. But close. Clearly, the republicans did far less than expectations. They had every advantage going into yesterday and just overshot their advantages.

I'm just relieved that there was no red wave. I didn't expect Stacey to win. It would have been like a miracle if she did. Despite my support of her, I think she ran a much better campaign in 2018, and the Republicans did an effectivel job of demonizing her this time around. Sure, there was likely a little bit of sexism in the mix, along with the usual Democratic voter apathy. Perhaps the biggest obstacle was that she ran against an incumbent, who despite some of his despicable policies, he never lied about the 2020 election and he didn't let Trump manipulate him into election denial. We will only be stuck with him for one more term. With the growing population in Georgia, the state might be a bit more blue in 2024. Hoping... :D

I tell ya, I feel 50/50 on this. Ohio, Dems gained a seat, but lost almost everything else. Yost is going to make it impossible to get abortion on the ballot in 2024, because they know that'll put Ohio in the blue column for *insert Democrat Candidate*.

Anti-abortion is worse than the Browns in the voting booth.

Losing the House sucks, but the gerrymandering was fierce and unless California joins the party, we can't keep up.

Being on the verge of losing the Senate is bothersome, but it appears that Georgia just barely won't vote cunts into office (as much anymore).

The tickle is the Super Bowl LI feeling. The people that gorge on alt-right propaganda on the radio and cable and Internet thought this was going to be a massacre. They thought GA, AZ, PA, OH were all theirs. They thought NH, NY, OR (gov) were theirs. They delusions that WA and CO were going their way. They thought the House was going to be massive Game of Thrones takeover.

Reminds me of what I thought in 2016, but under the guise that Americans weren't foolish enough to vote for Trump and he'd drag the party down with him. And while Trump is dragging the GOP down with him, it is more metaphorical than electoral. And Election Day 2022 was an absolute disaster for those who gorge on alt-right propaganda. It wasn't a bad night for the GOP, but they thought things were going to be very settled at this point, and well in their favor. I don't think that was ever in the cards. What happened last night followed along one of my feasible narratives. America just can't make up its mind.

There is one last thing to think about... the reason why we didn't see a blue wave. Putin. You track the polling with gasoline prices, especially after the OPEC+ decision. That was what drove the blue team down and made this so close. Maybe abortion did play in this, to hold back the resentment of higher price gas. This talk of inflation is bullshit. We aren't quite in that level of inflation. What the people objected to was the gas price... that thing they see weekly. Putin won again. There will be turmoil in Congress if it is split. Support for Ukraine is now on the line. Support for America too.

So definitely a muddled result, some good, more bad, unless you listen to AM Radio, and it was a massive disappointment. At least there isn't bitching about election integrity.

Just to confirm, there aren't enough votes in WI to turn that race. It was very close.

Arizona sucks and they won't have updated numbers until the evening. Exit polls showed dead heat. Numbers are "early" but Hobbs was doing better than Biden in Maricopa County, where something like 143% of Arizona lives.

Georgia, Warnock is "pulling ahead", about a 1.0% lead, which is good for state mind for a runoff. The trouble is he stands at 49.42%, and it doesn't appear there are enough votes remaining to get to 50%, he needs to effectively triple his lead without Walker getting a vote. And that isn't particularly likely. So Georgia is runoff bound.

Nevada, the exit polls need to be very wrong for this to work for the Dems. I'm uncertain what happened in Nevada to make this shift. It has usually been close, but it flopped the opposing way on the red dial. It should be noted, the NY Times numbers say the incumbent will win. If that happens, that would be huge, as a possible 51-49 changes committee stuff around. The GOP is put to the curb. Insane, how much 0.2% of the vote can matter.

House wise, it is just about official, the Dems gained a seat in Ohio. Someone in the GOP is getting fired. The good news for the GOP though is the Supreme Court, which we vote for, went hard GOP. So the OH Supreme Court trying to enforce at least a standard of only being strongly gerrymandered instead of ridiculously gerrymandered shouldn't happen again. Wouldn't be surprised if the GOP tries to change that map again.

You look at the Ohio map for US House, and you wonder how in the fuck that is legal. Southern half of Franklin county is diluted by most of empty Ohio heading to Dayton. Yeah, the voters in those regions have so much in common. Same thing with Toledo being drowned. At least my district has Canton and Akron, and a reasonable territory around it. Not a hundred miles across! But both 7 and 13 are meant to carve out a bit more of Cuyahoga County and disenfranchise more Democrats.
Last week's This American Life episode was called "The Map Makers". It dove deep into that quandary.

Looking at Ohio and Pennsylvania, both Vance and Oz did worse than Trump in red counties. Not a lot worse, but they underperformed him. Ryan did about as well as Biden. Fetterman did better than Biden, especially around Pittsburgh and Philly. And to really muddle it up, in North Carolina, Beasley underperformed Biden, while Budd outperformed Trump.

This will make the statisticians' heads a bit light for a while.

I'm just relieved that there was no red wave. I didn't expect Stacey to win. It would have been like a miracle if she did. Despite my support of her, I think she ran a much better campaign in 2018, and the Republicans did an effectivel job of demonizing her this time around. Sure, there was likely a little bit of sexism in the mix, along with the usual Democratic voter apathy. Perhaps the biggest obstacle was that she ran against an incumbent, who despite some of his despicable policies, he never lied about the 2020 election and he didn't let Trump manipulate him into election denial. We will only be stuck with him for one more term. With the growing population in Georgia, the state might be a bit more blue in 2024. Hoping... :D
All I know of Stacey was listening to her on the Maron podcast after the 2020 election. I was blown away by her knowledge, compassion, and optimism. I am saddened that people like her are fully rejected by the GOP in favor of clowns, assholes, and charlatans like Gaetz, Boebert, MTG, Walker, Oz, etc... Are there no honest and intelligent conservatives left?

Again, I feel that dems far outpaced expectations. So, I'm happy and feel enthused about the results. But a very dangerous trend is the continuing trend of losing the hispanic vote. We need to get a handle on this. It appears to me that white women are returning to the democratic party. But our future is dim if we continue losing hispanic vote.

NV has lots of mail ins left, far from over.

Very happy for Fetterman. Would have been too dispiriting if he lost over a disability irrelevant to the job. And really, fuck "Dr." Oz, what a dehumanizing, ugly campaign that fraud ran.

Back
Top Bottom