• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

2022 Midterm Elections - Results and Post Mortem

Some election analysts have already called it for Frisch over Boebert.

If Dems lose the House, the biggest scapegoat state will be New York, where GOP made a lot of gains.

I don't see it that way. Pueblo is the route to victory, and right now, there are no stats saying Frisch has this thing. Mesa and Garfield Counties are supposed to have the remaining votes go heavy to Boebert. That'll give her the difference and more. It'll then be Pueblo that determines if Frisch can claw it back.

I’m not buying it until the fat lady sings. I doubt Bubbles will concede no matter what the count.

I’m not buying it until the fat lady sings. I doubt Bubbles will concede no matter what the count.
So far, we haven't seen any problems with that.
With Bubbles refusing to accept the election results?
I don't expect her to complain unless she loses. Like that horrid Lake woman in AZ.
They need to learn from Donny; claim fraud, even if you win! It helps with the next cycle.

If Warnock wins the runoff, I’m sending trump a Christmas card.
A GOP strategist on NPR this morning was holding out these election results as proof that the Party needs to dump Trump. Failing to do so, he contends, will ensure continued and increasing difficulties for Republicans, eventually relegating them to a few traditional strongholds while the rest of the Party slowly declines into oblivion. The way he laid it out actually made me a little afraid of losing our 2-party system; given total control of the government there is little assurance that the Democrats wouldn't drift into fascism just as Republicans did when they thought they could get away with it (and they still might). Anyhow, that particular talking head blamed all the GOP's ills on Agent Orange. I wonder how prevalent that sentiment is within Party ranks.

A GOP strategist on NPR this morning was holding out these election results as proof that the Party needs to dump Trump. Failing to do so, he contends, will ensure continued and increasing difficulties for Republicans, eventually relegating them to a few traditional strongholds while the rest of the Party slowly declines into oblivion. The way he laid it out actually made me a little afraid of losing our 2-party system; given total control of the government there is little assurance that the Democrats wouldn't drift into fascism just as Republicans did when they thought they could get away with it (and they still might). Anyhow, that particular talking head blamed all the GOP's ills on Agent Orange. I wonder how prevalent that sentiment is within Party ranks.
The question is how do they convince the Trump cultists, without whose votes they certainly can’t win.

The crowd at the DeSantis victory speech shouted "Two More Years".

The question is how do they convince the Trump cultists, without whose votes they certainly can’t win.
Yeah that’s a tough nut to crack for rational conservatives. And while I dont favor most of any conservative agenda, I’d prefer that they be defeated on their lack of merits rather than because of the infantile tantrums of trumpsuckers.

Yeah that’s a tough nut to crack for rational conservatives. And while I dont favor most of any conservative agenda, I’d prefer that they be defeated on their lack of merits rather than because of the infantile tantrums of trumpsuckers.
It is useful to have a set of rational antagonists to keep from the potential excesses of one party rule.

...and the money they continue to part with to the GOP.

link
article said:
“There is a broader issue, and think about this: We have the worst inflation in four decades, the worst collapse in real wages in 40 years, the worst crime wave since the 1990s, the worst border crisis in U.S. history, we have Joe Biden, who is the least popular president since Harry Truman, since presidential polling happened, and there wasn’t a red wave,” Thiessen said.

“That is a searing indictment of the Republican Party. That is a searing indictment of the message that we have been sending to the voters. They looked at all of that, and looked at the Republican alternative, and said ‘no thanks.'”

The GOP, Thiessen continued, “needs to do a really deep introspection look in the mirror right now, because this is an absolute disaster for the Republican Party, and we need to turn back.”
And this brings me to another possible conclusion that he doesn't want to get.
article... again said:
“There is a broader issue, and think about this: We have the worst inflation in four decades, the worst collapse in real wages in 40 years, the worst crime wave since the 1990s, the worst border crisis in U.S. history, we have Joe Biden, who is the least popular president since Harry Truman, since presidential polling happened, and there wasn’t a red wave,” Thiessen said.
Yeah... maybe it wasn't "no thanks" as much as "we think you are full of shit".

One thing that bothered me in this election cycle was that the Democrats were concentrating almost solely on abortion. They weren't talking about the millions of jobs created under Biden (yes, I know not by Biden, but that is how the game goes). They weren't talking about the general growth the economy saw. Why? Because while it was true, people would have thought the Dems were "out of touch" because the economy is having issues with inflation. And inflation is tough to run a short ad to explain why it isn't some disease caused by the Democrats. Hence... abortion. Easy to set up, easy to go with. So yeah, the economic gains couldn't be touted because it was an incomplete economic picture and voters wouldn't have liked it.

So then we go to the statement above.
  • We have the worst inflation in four decades
  • the worst collapse in real wages in 40 years
  • the worst crime wave since the 1990s
  • the worst border crisis in U.S. history
Maybe it isn't as simple as saying it over and over when there is either nuance or it is flat out wrong. America isn't burning (yet). The GOP tried to sell America as it was in the Great Depression, but it isn't that bad. Crime isn't is Mad Max, Inflation isn't changing the prices of things daily, no American understands what a "real wage" is.

Introspection? Yeah, maybe stop lying so much. You guys were certain you were going to win, because the country was in such shambles... that it wasn't actually in.

It is useful to have a set of rational antagonists to keep from the potential excesses of one party rule.

If GOP strategists could run things, Donald Trump would never have been nominated in the first place. The GOP will do what its radical base of Trump supporters tells it to do. DeSantis is not going to be the methadone for their Trump addiction.

Anyone have any idea what actions Republicans were claiming they were gonna take to improve any of the country's problems?

What I've vaguely gathered is something about tax cuts and border issues, but that's it. I mean sure, fuck Mitt Romney and all that, but the GOP did use to have plans. Even in 2000 Dubbya/Cheney had an agenda that would purportedly help the average American. Whether it was bullshit or not is beside the point. The point is that since Romney, I cannot for the life of me figure out what Republican policy is on anything.

Being against something for the sake of it isn't policy. A contrarian used to be someone who looked at the status quo and rejected it, but had coherent reasons for their rejection(s).

Still though, "Hey Democrats! Fuck you!" got tens if not hundreds of millions of votes yesterday.

Anyone have any idea what actions Republicans were claiming they were gonna take to improve any of the country's problems?

What I've vaguely gathered is something about tax cuts and border issues, but that's it. I mean sure, fuck Mitt Romney and all that, but the GOP did use to have plans. Even in 2000 Dubbya/Cheney had an agenda that would purportedly help the average American. Whether it was bullshit or not is beside the point. The point is that since Romney, I cannot for the life of me figure out what Republican policy is on anything.

Being against something for the sake of it isn't policy. A contrarian used to be someone who looked at the status quo and rejected it, but had coherent reasons for their rejection(s).

Still though, "Hey Democrats! Fuck you!" got tens if not hundreds of millions of votes yesterday.
They went into the last presidential election without a platform. Literally. They just did it again. The closest they got was “fix the election fraud that doesn’t exist”, and “abortion policy should be decided by each state, wink wink”.

Independent voters have swung to the opposition party by double digits in the four previous midterms. This time, Democrats had a slight edge. Non-cultists aren’t buying what republicans are selling.

It seems that the Republicans see politics like a sport. Winning is the end of the process, not the beginning.

The idea of a guy from New Jersey sitting in a seat reserved for a Pennsylvanian Senator was definitely troubling.
At least they are neighboring states. Much of Philly suburbia is actually in Jersey.

Btw, how did you feel when the former First Lady of Arkansas was sitting in a seat reserved for a New Yorkan Senator?

Back
Top Bottom