• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

A day without stupid?

I think he meant he saved us from the record number of consecutive quarters of economic growth that occurred under Obama.

US Senator Menendez charged with bribery, says he will not resign | Reuters
U.S. prosecutors on Friday charged powerful Senator Bob Menendez and his wife with taking bribes from three New Jersey businessmen, which could complicate Democrats' efforts to keep their slim majority in the U.S. Senate in next year's elections.

Menendez later stepped down temporarily from his role as chairman of the Senate's Foreign Relations Committee until the case is resolved, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said in a statement, adding that Menendez had a right to due process.

The U.S. Attorney's office in Manhattan said Menendez, 69, accepted hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of cash and gold bars in exchange for using his power and influence as New Jersey's senior senator to benefit the government of Egypt and interfere with law enforcement probes into the businessmen.
As if campaign contributions are not good enough.
New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy, a Democrat, as well as several other Democratic state officials and members of the U.S. House of Representatives, called on Menendez to resign from the Senate.
However, he has decided to stay put in the Senate.
"It is not lost on me how quickly some are rushing to judge a Latino and push him out of his seat. I am not going anywhere," he said in a statement late Friday.
So he's hiding behind his identity.
Prosecutors are seeking to have Menendez forfeit assets including his New Jersey home, a 2019 Mercedes-Benz convertible, and about $566,000 in cash, gold bars and funds from a bank account.

The indictment contained an image of gold bars investigators seized from Menendez's home as well as envelopes stuffed with cash found inside jackets bearing Menendez's name hanging in his closet. Prosecutors said they found more than $480,000 in cash in his home.

Bob Menendez
Over the following days, Democratic Party politicians such as New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy, New Jersey General Assembly Speaker Craig Coughlin, U.S. Senators Tammy Baldwin, Michael Bennet, Richard Blumenthal, Cory Booker, Sherrod Brown, Bob Casey Jr., Tammy Duckworth, Dick Durbin, John Fetterman, Kirsten Gillibrand, Maggie Hassan, Martin Heinrich, John Hickenlooper, Mazie Hirono, Mark Kelly, Amy Klobuchar, Ed Markey, Chris Murphy, Jon Ossoff, Gary Peters, Jacky Rosen, Bernie Sanders, Debbie Stabenow, Jon Tester, Raphael Warnock, Elizabeth Warren, and Peter Welch, as well as New Jersey U.S. Representatives Mikie Sherrill, Andy Kim, Donald Norcross, Bonnie Watson Coleman, Frank Pallone, and Bill Pascrell had called for Menendez's resignation
Several other Reps have called for his resignation, like AOC.

Full transcript: Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on "Face the Nation," Sept. 24, 2023 - CBS News
MARGARET BRENNAN: I want to ask you about some democratic politics. You were outspoken about George Santos, the New York congressman and said he should resign because of all the legal issues and ethical issues he was facing. Senator Bob Menendez of New Jersey, as you know, has just been indicted on bribery charges. Should he resign? And what do you think of his statement that it has to do with him being a Latino?

REP. OCASIO-CORTEZ: Well, you know, I think it's- the situation is quite unfortunate, but I do believe that it is in the best interest for Senator Menendez to resign in this moment. As you mentioned, consistency matters. It shouldn't matter whether it's a Republican or a Democrat. The details in this indictment are extremely serious. They involve the nature of, of not just his but all of our seats in Congress. And while you know, as a Latina, there are absolutely ways in which there is systemic bias. But I think what is here in this indictment is quite clear. And- and I believe is in the best interest to maintain the integrity of the seat. I want to emphasize that all people are- they must be extended the presumption of innocence until proven guilty. That is the legal reality in our country. But when it comes to the political and the standard of dignity that we want to maintain for the public in the United States Congress, I do believe it is in- in the best interests.
She refuses to accept his hiding behind his ethnic identity.

She refuses to accept his hiding behind his ethnic identity.
So, a Democrat(AOC) agrees that a fellow Dem congressman should resign.
She also thinks a Rep congressman, Anthony Devolder, should resign.

Which do you think more likely? Which do you think will be supported in a bipartisan way?
Tom

Republicans are curiously unwilling to call for Sen. Bob Menendez's resignation. Like George Anthony Kitara Ravache Devolder Santos.

Santos says Menendez should not resign: ‘He’s innocent until proven guilty’ | The Hill
When asked by NBC News Capitol Hill correspondent Julie Tsirkin about the matter, Santos replied that he believes “due process is important,” adding that the senator “has the right to defend himself.”

“He’s innocent until proven guilty,” Santos told Tsirkin on Sunday. “This … the media has to stop acting like everybody is guilty … before they’re even judged by a jury.”

“So no, I think everybody is innocent until proven guilty,” Santos added. “When did we walk away from the fabric of our Constitution, that everybody has a presumption of innocence before anything else? So I don’t think he should resign.”
George Santos on X: "You can hear ..." / X
You can hear her soft “okay”, displaying disappointment that I actually believe in the constitution.

Everyone is innocent until the government executes its burden of proving otherwise.

I don’t care if you are a Rep or Dem we are all afforded the same constitutional rights!
noting
NewsWire on X: "U.S. Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.) says Senator Menendez should not resign (vid link)" / X
With video of Julie Tsirkin catching George Santos.

Kevin McCarthy Wanted Bob Menendez To Resign Until Someone Mentioned George Santos
On Saturday, McCarthy called for the senator’s resignation, saying that the indictment was “very damaging” and that the evidence presented by prosecutors “seems pretty black and white.”

But McCarthy seemed to flip-flop on Tuesday after CNN’s Manu Raju asked him a cagey question: “Do you think that George Santos, who’s been indicted on federal criminal charges, should also resign?”

So after Raju pointed out the hypocrisy of asking a Democrat to resign and a Republican to fight their charge in court, McCarthy decided Menendez should also be presumed innocent until found guilty.

“I think George could have his day in court, and I think Menendez could have his day in court,” he said.

Raju then reminded McCarthy of his earlier comments, saying, “Mr. Speaker, why do you think [Menendez] needs to resign, then?”

McCarthy immediately flip-flopped.

“It could be his choice of what he wants to do, yes,” he said.

Here Are All the Senators Calling for Sen. Bob Menendez to Resign

31 Senators, all Democrats or Democrat-adjacent:
John Fetterman PA, Peter Welch VT, Sherrod Brown OH, Tammy Baldwin WI, Jon Tester MT, Bob Casey PA, Jacky Rosen NV, Elizabeth Warren MA, Martin Heinrich NM, Cory Booker NJ, Mark Kelly AZ, Michael Bennet CO, Amy Klobuchar MN, Kirsten Gillibrand NY, Mazie Hirono HI, Ed Markey MA, Maggie Hassan NH, Raphael Warnock GA, Gary Peters MI, Bernie Sanders VT, Chris Murphy CT, Richard Blumenthal CT, Tammy Duckworth IL, John Hickenlooper CO, Jon Ossoff GA, Debbie Stabenow MI, Dick Durbin IL, Chris Van Hollen MD, Patty Murray WA, Maria Cantwell WA, Tom Carper DE

They want Menendez to run again, because they are lowlifes.

A New Jersey electrician who is running for a seat in the State Assembly admits he once smeared poop on the doors of a day care center ― and he says it’s Barack Obama’s fault.
Joseph Viso Jr. is a Republican candidate for the 36th District, but, as the New Jersey Globe notes, he has a lengthy criminal record that includes federal and state convictions on drug and gun charges and a history of financial issues.

Also heard this on NPR this morning.

And that wasn't the only bit of violence today at the capital...

Children...

A New Jersey electrician who is running for a seat in the State Assembly admits he once smeared poop on the doors of a day care center ― and he says it’s Barack Obama’s fault.
Joseph Viso Jr. is a Republican candidate for the 36th District, but, as the New Jersey Globe notes, he has a lengthy criminal record that includes federal and state convictions on drug and gun charges and a history of financial issues.
He sounds like just the sort of chap you need more of within your parliaments

Seen elsewhere:
Ex-Speaker Kevin McCarthy had to be sent to the principal's office after elbowing a GOP representative who to voted to oust him from the Speaker position. He was given detention after school for a week and made to apologize to little Timmy Burchett. Kevin's guardian, Donald Trump, did not agree with the punishment proclaiming "This is UNCONSTITUTIONAL and ILLEGAL! Kevin is being persecuted by a LIBERAL, DERANGED OBAMA appointed principal who is using a RULE NEVER USED BEFORE! I will appeal this outrageous, unjust, and politically motivated detention sentence to the School Board but, as we all know, it's full of intellectual elitists who graduated High School and some, even LIBERAL COLLEGES!

Quote:
Rep. Tim Burchett, who voted to oust the former speaker, accused McCarthy of elbowing him in the kidneys in hallway:

Rep. Tim Burchett, R-Tenn., on Tuesday accused former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., of elbowing him and chased him through a Capitol hallway. NPR reporter Claudia Grisales tweeted that she has "NEVER seen this on Capitol Hill," recounting how McCarthy "shoved" Burchett while she was interviewing him. Burchett shouted at McCarthy and a "chase ensued." McCarthy denied that he had elbowed him. "You got no guts, you did so, ... the reporter said it right there, what kind of chicken move is that," Grisales recalled Burchett shouting. "Did you see that?" Burchett asked the reporter afterward, who admitted "I'm stunned too."

"I ran after McCarthy and I said, 'What'd you do that for?' He acted like, 'Oh, I didn't do anything,'" Burchett later told Politico, which added that the Republican called McCarthy a "jerk" after the incident. “He needs to go back to Southern California," Burchett told reporters, later adding: “I can still feel it … It was a clean shot to the kidney.” McCarthy, meanwhile, denied Burchett's claim. “I didn’t shove or elbow him, it’s a tight hallway," McCarthy told CNN.

The Oklahoma governor, Kevin Stitt, has been soundly denounced by animal rights activists after making a video in support of a cockfighting organization.

Stitt made a video in support of the annual meeting for the Oklahoma Gamefowl Commission, a group that has been working to reduce penalties for cockfighting in the state.

The former district director for the Gamefowl Commission was arrested and charged with a felony in August after authorities busted a cockfighting ring in the state, KFOR reported.

The Gamefowl Commission has donated to several Oklahoman politicians, including Stitt, in an attempt to lessen penalties for those participating. The Oklahoman newspaper said the organization had given over $70,000 to Oklahoma politicians, including $2,000 to Stitt.

“I wish I could be with you for the Gamefowl Commission’s annual legislative meeting, but I wanted to take a moment to cheer you on from the sidelines,” Stitt said in the video published on Sunday.

He Needs Help’: Kinzinger Says Kevin McCarthy Shoulder-Checked Him in Congress – ‘Twice!’

Former Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-IL) said Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) “needs help” after the ex-speaker reportedly elbowed a colleague in the back this week.

Kinzinger also said McCarthy whacked him twice while the former was still in Congress.

On Tuesday, Rep. Tim Burchett (R-TN) claimed McCarthy elbowed him in what was “a clean shot to the kidneys.” An NPR reporter Burchett was speaking with at the time backed up the lawmaker’s claim. Burchett chased after McCarthy and told him, “You got no guts.”

Burchett was one of eight Republicans who voted to oust McCarthy as speaker in October. Kinzinger meanwhile, has repeatedly criticized McCarthy over his appeasement of former President Donald Trump.

During Friday’s edition of The Lead, Jake Tapper asked Kinzinger about his own encounters with McCarthy, which the former lawmaker just so happened to recount in his recent book.

“Twice!” Kinzinger began. “I’m kind of standing in the back of the House, leaning over that gold railing just kind of watching what’s going on, talking to people that walked by. And I get – wham! – I get shoulder-checked. Never had that happened on the floor of the House. And I turn and Kevin McCarthy’s already passed me. And my initial reaction is that we’re friends and I’m like, wait, we haven’t been friends in a year. That was serious.”

Kinzinger said McCarthy shoulder-checked him again “like when you’re in fourth grade” about three weeks later.
Where do they come up with these psychopaths?

Back
Top Bottom