• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

I am very much in touch with reality. The reality where I live is those H-1B visa holders work as waiters, housekeepers, banquet chefs, souvenir store clerks, front desk clerks, fish processors, etc., and most have second jobs, too. H-1B visa holders in other states do similar work (I met one from Jamaica working in a gas station convenience store outside Yellowstone earlier this month). Some have degrees and some are still in college. Some have specialized skills like picking crabmeat. None of them need their degrees to perform the work they do.

If you can ring up sales on a cash register, scrub a toilet, or clean a fish, you can do the work the H-1B visa holders do.

None of those occupations is eligible for an H-1B. Perhaps you are mistaking visa categories as there are more H visas than just H-1Bs. AFIAK the H-4s (spouses of H-1B visa holders) have no restrictions on what sort of job.

Personally, I partially agree with cutting back on H-1Bs. There has been a huge amount of abuse, large numbers of H-1Bs were simply a way of undercutting US wages and not due to true need. Somehow I doubt His Flatulence has done a good job of sorting the wheat from the chaff, though. Now, the deliberate slow-rolling of H-4s (work visas for the spouses of H-1Bs) is another matter, there's no reason for it.

(Note that while we don't hear much about there's also a lot of abuse with J-1s. Even when dirty employers are caught they get a slap on the wrist with a wet noodle.)

I agree that the Trump Administration has done a piss-poor job of determining how many H-1B visas to make available, and who to give them to. That's par for the course with this President. And I agree that employers knowingly violating the law get off too easy. But I don't agree we were handing out too many work visas. It's not easy to fine tune the program due to the natural rise and fall of consumer demand, but having jobs go unfilled benefits no one.

The abuse long predates His Flatulence. H-1Bs were supposed to be for jobs they couldn't find Americans for. We have many cases of Americans being laid off and their jobs sent to a body shop that hires H-1Bs. It's obvious there were suitable Americans--the ones that were just laid off.

Thus there were too many visas being issued.

As to AOC she continues to show she is just an inexperienced ideologue with little actual knowledge.

She seems to be pretty good at pointing out wrongdoing.

The problem is she has no realistic answers for the problems she points out.

Left and Right Have Abandoned American Exceptionalism - The Atlantic - "Democrats don’t think America lives up to liberal democratic ideals. Republicans don’t think Americans need to."

Started off with what AOC and Barack Obama have in common, then went on to their different takes on the US's history of race relations. BO would certainly not have endorsed what George Bush II said in his second inaugural: “From the day of our founding, we have proclaimed that every man and woman on this Earth has rights and dignity and matchless value, because they bear the image of the Maker of heaven and Earth. Across the generations, we have proclaimed the imperative of self-government, because no one is fit to be a master and no one deserves to be a slave.”
But Obama did suggest that America naturally ascends towards greater equality and justice. In his famous March 2008 speech in Philadelphia on race, he argued that, “The answer to the slavery question was already embedded within our Constitution—a Constitution that had at its very core the ideal of equal citizenship under the law.” In implying that progress was preordained, Obama was not trying to slight those Americans who struggled against injustice. To the contrary, he honored them frequently. But he depicted their struggles less as clashes of interests and values than as the unfolding of ideals and aspirations that most Americans shared.
AOC, however, has a darker perspective:
Ocasio-Cortez does not. She depicts American history less as an arc of progress than as a circle, in which America repeats—rather than rises above—its past. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE’s) treatment of people of color, she told The Intercept, continues an American tradition: “The very first immigration policy law passed in the United States was the Chinese Exclusion Act in the 1800s, and so the very bedrock of U.S. immigration policy, the very beginning of it was a policy based on racial exclusion.” She told New York magazine that, “child separation is a barbaric new iteration of what is going on, but for a very long time.”
She is not alone.
In 2015, Bernie Sanders called America “a nation in which [in] many ways was created … on racist principles.” This February, Elizabeth Warren told the National Congress of American Indians that, “For generations — Congress after Congress, president after president — the government robbed you of your land, suppressed your languages, put your children in boarding schools and gave your babies away for adoption.” And she explicitly linked that past to the present, declaring that, “The kind of violence President [Andrew] Jackson and his allies perpetrated [against Native Americans] isn’t just an ugly chapter in a history book. Violence remains part of life today.”
Author Peter Beinart did not discuss the Right, however.

Which implies that the Right's hate-on for Obama was just plain wrong.

Just as the Left's strong hatred of the Trumpet, and refusal to accept he beat Killery is just plain wrong?

None of those occupations is eligible for an H-1B. Perhaps you are mistaking visa categories as there are more H visas than just H-1Bs. AFIAK the H-4s (spouses of H-1B visa holders) have no restrictions on what sort of job.

You're right. They're here on J-1 visas. My bad.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "The most BX pride speech I ever gave 😂 they really cued up the horns for our policy points 🤣🏳️*🌈 There’s no place like home! https://t.co/2bh9XUTbII" / Twitter - LGBTQ pride. Alternative sexualities or alt-sex?

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "#1: These are people protesting peacefully - hence their POSTERS & not FIREARMS #2: Why do you call some who threaten violent attack a “militia” vs others “domestic terrorists?”🤔 #3: This a very dramatic way to deal with your Sunday Scaries. We can help you find a therapist. https://t.co/bTf1VGC7QJ" / Twitter noting Oregon GOP on Twitter: "Heavily armed militia lays siege to Oregon's Capitol as Senate Democrats cower in fear. #orpol #orleg #capkillsjobs #hb2020 #Oregon11 #orcot https://t.co/XQHCEb3D59" / Twitter Caroline Orr on Twitter: "@Oregon_GOP So, um, why are you using a picture of loggers protesting earlier this week? https://t.co/SUt4WUw3SQ" / Twitter Helen Kennedy on Twitter: "@lmwashburn @Oregon_GOP The militia threats against Oregon Democrats are real. https://t.co/TA5fBDaSXp" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Mr. King, the Republican Party literally stripped you of your Congressional committee assignments because you were too racist even for them. My Jewish constituents have made clear to me that they proudly stand w/ caged children who are starved, denied sleep & sanitation. Bye 👋🏽 https://t.co/TQkaPEESoD" / Twitter noting Steve King on Twitter: ".@AOC I went to Auschwitz & Birkenau with Eddie Mausberg & Jonny Daniels with In the Depths. I went with a deep understanding of the Shoah and had a profound personal experience. Please accept their offer. https://t.co/9tjqgdP6N5" / Twitter noting Holocaust remembrance group invites Ocasio-Cortez to tour Auschwitz with survivor | TheHill
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "The last time you went on this trip it was reported that you also met w/ fringe Austrian neo-Nazi groups to talk shop. So I’m going to have to decline your invite. But thank you for revealing to all how transparently the far-right manipulates these moments for political gain. https://t.co/TQkaPEESoD" / Twitter
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Hey @Liz_Cheney, you’re the GOP Conference Chair - perhaps you should come collect your colleague before more members of your caucus start saying the quiet parts loud" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "I have absolutely zero patience for completely certified, card-carrying and flag-waving racists. None. 🚫 They can take their little tiki torches somewhere else. We don’t give them an inch, a second, a sliver of sunlight nor the time of day. And neither should you." / Twitter

Something I like a lot about AOC: she fights back. Unlike other targets of the right wing like Nancy Pelosi and Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton and Bill Clinton.
H. Eric Loewe on Twitter: "@AOC @AOC refuses to let critics define her, a lesson she learned from watching... "I grew up seeing these attacks...bad-faith attacks...completely unfounded attacks... Just squash it early and respond to them, and be unafraid to say 'you sound ridiculous.'" https://t.co/1vJFouFpe7" / Twitter

Why Are Democrats Such Cowards? | The New Republic
Senator Elizabeth Warren’s plan to address America’s opioid epidemic has one unusual component, something that sets her dramatically apart from nearly everyone else running for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination: a villain.

Specifically, that villain is Purdue Pharma, the creator of OxyContin. Even more specifically, it is the Sackler family, who own Purdue. A May blog post introducing Warren’s opioid plan promises “real criminal penalties” for pharmaceutical executives guilty of “dumping mountains of highly addictive pills” into struggling American communities.

... All the while, Democratic leaders continue to campaign and govern from a crouched, defensive position even after they win power.

... It’s easy to forget that Democratic leaders greeted Trump’s election by enthusiastically seeking to find common ground with him.
About Nancy Pelosi,
“The president is self-impeaching,” the AP reported her saying in a private caucus meeting. “He’s putting out the case against himself. Obstruction, obstruction, obstruction. Ignoring subpoenas and the rest.”

... By the end of May, she was arguing that she was declining to open an impeachment inquiry into the president out of love of country.
Because of wanting an infrastructure deal, a deal that quickly fell apart.
Chantal Mouffe, a left-wing political theorist from Belgium, has diagnosed this fixation on consensus above all else as a failure of liberalism.

... It is not a coincidence that one of the few American interviews with Mouffe, which was published in The Nation in 2016, was conducted by Waleed Shahid, who is currently the spokesperson for Justice Democrats, the grassroots PAC that helped the insurgent campaign of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez defeat establishment Democrat Joe Crowley in New York.

She has shown herself to be no shrinking violet, with her Green New Deal, despite Nancy Pelosi dismissing it as "the green dream or whatever".

The Right, however, is not afraid to have named villains. Like AOC herself. Yet "You can see the growing Democratic divide between antagonism and conciliation in the dozens of people running for the Democratic nomination." Like Joe Biden promising to make deals with Sen. Mitch McConnell.

Funny how the "reasonable standards" are the ones that got you in but not others.
What kind of silly argument is this? Just because I was able to immigrate (legally mind you!), does not mean we need to take in everybody who simply shows up at the southern border demanding to be let in.

Funny how the "reasonable standards" are the ones that got you in but not others.
What kind of silly argument is this? Just because I was able to immigrate (legally mind you!), does not mean we need to take in everybody who simply shows up at the southern border demanding to be let in.

How do we know you didn't lie about your status the same way you accuse so many of the present day immigrants of?

How do we know you didn't lie about your status the same way you accuse so many of the present day immigrants of?
I didn't. Also I applied through normal channels. I did not just show up on the border and scaled the fence.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez invited by Polish MP to see concentration camps

In the open letter, Dominik told Ocasio-Cortez that he was writing to her "out of distress in having learned of your recent statements regarding concentration camps."

I hope she takes him up an the offer, and arrives with documentation of the conditions under which asylum seekers at our southern border are being detained so the two of them can compare notes.

I also hope she brings George Takei with her, so he can explain to Mr. Dominik why former vassals of Nazi Germany aren't the only ones who had concentration camps during WWII.

You also said you would obey the laws of the land.
And predictably the Leftists go personal since they have zero valid arguments.

I learned something from this. I didn't know you are an immigrant. It's quirky how this board's minority views so often turn out to be from the immigrants, racial minorities etc. Would expect the opposite.

Back
Top Bottom