• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Explain this to me. I mean the falling ass backwards into her seat part. It was an accident? A fluke?

Yes. She won an extremely low turnout primary election (with only about 16,000 votes in a district with 700,000 people) in a district so lopsided that the primary election is the de facto general election.
She was also pushed into it (again, ass backwards) by the so-called "Justice Democrats", a far-left group.

Kind of like she didn't attend a good college or earn a degree or graduate with honors or receive honors while in high school? That kind of falling ass backwards?

I never said that she didn't go to a good school and was granted degrees. What I was saying is
- that she could have gotten good education in one of the state universities in NY for much less money. She likes to complain about how much student she accumulated, but doesn't mention that she chose to go to an expensive ($54k tuition plus room and board and fees) private school out of state.
- she didn't use her degree. After college, she worked as a bartender between bouts of activism tourism.
- For somebody with a degree in economics she has a poor grasp on it. For example, she thinks the ~$100T her GND would cost is not a problem because the government can just create new money.

I understand that you dislike her and dislike her politics. I don't understand why you think that she didn't earn her degrees and honors and legislative seat. Can you please explain it to me. I promise not to be offended if you need to use real small words.

I think you understand regular sized words.

Falling ass-backwards???
Yes. Especially the part where she won a primary election that had an extremely low turnout and in a district where the general election doesn't matter. Her "Justice Democrats" handlers caught Crawley napping. But she still lucked into it.

She won the primary in late June with a 15% margin,
In the primary where almost nobody went to the polls. Her margin could almost have been met by her barflies alone. And notice how you omit the role of JD in pushing her candidacy. Of course, after her win, JD installed one of their own (that guy who is a fan of a Nazi collaborator) into her office.

I've thought of something for a vow of chastity.
Well she is supposedly a believing Catholic who holds the Catechism in high regard. So she in effect took a vow of chastity before marriage.
Catechism of the Catholic Chuch said:
2353 Fornication is carnal union between an unmarried man and an unmarried woman. It is gravely contrary to the dignity of persons and of human sexuality which is naturally ordered to the good of spouses and the generation and education of children

Kamala Harris allegedly once had a love affair with SF Mayor Willie Brown while he was married, and some right-wingers claim that this was very helpful for her career.
It was. He nominated for some position or other. It was a quid-pro-futuere if you will. :)

Chastity. There is no evidence that AOC has had a love affair with anyone to advance her career. Yes.
No, but she talks a big game about her Catholicism while violating its tenets.

Poverty. Accepting only small contributions. Yes.
And drawing the lavish congressional salary. Or lavish compared to what a part time (when she is not travelling around South Dakota) bartender makes.

Obedience. She campaigned outside of the local party apparat, and when elected, she has sometimes been at odds with some fellow party members. She also seems to have no taste for social climbing in the party. No.

Oh, she is obedient. Just not to DNC/DLC but to DSA/JD/BNC and Bernie Sanders. He already promised her big role in his administration.

Titled link: AOC, Tlaib, and Omar May Be a Triumvirate of Idiocy, But Every Conservative's Best Friends - that was from 2019 Jun 21.

Triumvirate? That would be a triumfeminate.

Small donors elevated AOC. Other candidates, take note - Los Angeles Times - rather disappointingly short. But she's the most success of Representatives in raising money, sort of like the abbot whose vow of poverty made him rich. His vow of obedience made him a minor princeling, but I don't see anything comparable in AOC's career. Historian Edward Gibbon didn't mention the consequences of his vow of chastity, and I don't find anything comparable in AOC's career. Source: EG's book Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

Except that she's not just an airhead, but a hypocritical one at best!

https://gellerreport.com/2019/12/aoc-accepted-funding-from-hard-left-billionaire.html/

December 26, 2019 | 12:10pm | NY Post:

Progressive Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) railed against moderate Democrats for being “funded by billionaires” in a steadfast defense of political “purity tests,” all while neglecting to mention her own acceptance of a billionaire’s donation to her campaign.

Her falling ass-backwards into a seat on one of world's most powerful legislative bodies
doesn't count?
Explain this to me. I mean the falling ass backwards into her seat part. It was an accident? A fluke? Kind of like she didn't attend a good college or earn a degree or graduate with honors or receive honors while in high school? That kind of falling ass backwards?

I understand that you dislike her and dislike her politics. I don't understand why you think that she didn't earn her degrees and honors and legislative seat. Can you please explain it to me. I promise not to be offended if you need to use real small words.

Didn't she do and pass an economics degree? She sure seems to know about economics doesn't she, not!

Yes. She won an extremely low turnout primary election (with only about 16,000 votes in a district with 700,000 people) in a district so lopsided that the primary election is the de facto general election.

Primaries typically do have low voter turnout. Perhaps her 10 term opponent should not have been so arrogant or complacent as to not mount a contest against her. It seems to me that she's the one who fell ass backwards out of office by putting in so little effort to defeating a young, inexperienced opponent.

In the general election she won with 78% of the vote (110,318) to Pappas' 14% (17,7620. People seem to like her pretty well so I wouldn't call her win an 'accident.'

She was also pushed into it (again, ass backwards) by the so-called "Justice Democrats", a far-left group.
LOL, I think you'll have to provide some source material here. I realize that there is a not tiny contingent of people who find it impossible to believe that an attractive Latina woman is also intelligent, well educated, and well informed or passionate about anything other than getting her nails done.

I never said that she didn't go to a good school and was granted degrees. What I was saying is
- that she could have gotten good education in one of the state universities in NY for much less money. She likes to complain about how much student she accumulated, but doesn't mention that she chose to go to an expensive ($54k tuition plus room and board and fees) private school out of state.

She accumulated debt at Boston College (my personal dream college) but she would have also accumulated debt at any of the SUNY schools. Having sent two of my kids to out of state private colleges, I can tell you with great certainty that there is a sticker price for such schools---and then there is the price that is offered to very bright and talented students. I have no idea how much AOS paid in tuition and room/board but I do know that the price offered my kid was virtually identical to the price that it would have cost at a local, in state university. The difference was something like $100 dolllars/year--not semester: year. They named their price after they learned which other (in state, public) schools were my kids' contenders with the fancy overpriced university.

The cost to attend a private school is the same for in state and out of state students, except that transportation tends to be more for out of state schools. However, Boston and NYC are so close together that it's a pretty simple and relatively cheap ride on a bus or train. People do it all the time and in fact, a lot of people commute daily between Boston and NYC. Now, the cost to attend a public university is typically much less for in state students (and students from states which have an agreement with other bordering states to charge instate tuition to each others' residents--this is the case in my home state so I am very much aware of this).

- she didn't use her degree. After college, she worked as a bartender between bouts of activism tourism.

Sure she used her degree even if she didn't sign on to be economist 2nd class at some firm somewhere. And she's certainly using it now, and seems extremely well informed about economic issues. Reports are that she actually attends full sessions and all the committee meetings, something that is pretty rare.

- For somebody with a degree in economics she has a poor grasp on it. For example, she thinks the ~$100T her GND would cost is not a problem because the government can just create new money.

Were you unaware that the government can make new money? I have known that tidbit likely since before you were born and certainly before AOC was born and I do not have a degree in economics. Two reasons: I'm married to an economist and also, I paid attention in my high school civics class. Didn't you?

I think you understand regular sized words.

I do, usually. But sometimes people don't use words the same way and when one is talking about a specific discipline, such as economics, sometimes people use words as they are commonly used rather than as specific terms as defined and used within that discipline. This is a problem that I see with economics. A lot of people think they know much more than they do know because they think that the words they use are the same as the terms an economist uses when really, they aren't talking about the same things at all. Chemists typically do not have this problem, for example. People's eyes just glaze over when they talk about equilibrium.

The rest of that article is in that vein. She seems to be treating Catholicism as a system of ethics.
As if Religious Right wasn't bad enough. Now we are getting it from both flanks!
But we haven't seen much of a Religious Left, and I haven't seen anything like that article before or since in anything that AOC has said or written.

The rise of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in 2019 | TheHill - she's had quite a year.
  • Introducing the Green New Deal
  • Endorsing Sen. Sanders in the 2020 Democratic Primary
  • Going head-to-head with Speaker Nancy Pelosi
  • Responding to President Trump’s attacks
  • Grilling Michael Cohen

The biggest political upsets of the decade | TheHill
Listing AOC's victory over Joe Crowley alongside two comparable ones: Dave Brat's victory over Eric Cantor and Donald Trump's victory over several Republican politicians and his Democratic opponent.

Dave Brat was an obscure economics professor who defeated Eric Cantor in a Republican primary in 2014. Eric Cantor had a long career:
  • VA House of Delegates: 1992 - 2001
  • US House of Reps: 2001 - 2014
However, Dave Brat was not very distinguished in the House, and in 2018, he was defeated by Democrat Abigail Spanberger.

Donald Trump was a businessman who ran for President in the Reform Party in 1999 and 2000, before dropping out of that party's primaries early in 2000. His opponents in 2016:
  • Ted Cruz, Texas Solicitor General 2003 - 2008, US Senator 2013 -
  • John Kasich, Ohio Senator 1979 - 1983, US Rep 1983 - 2001, Ohio Governor 2011 -
  • Marco Rubio, Florida Rep 2000 - 2008, US Senator 2011 -
  • Ben Carson (brain surgeon)
  • Jeb Bush, Florida Sec'y of Commerce 1987 - 1988, Florida Governor 1999 - 2007
  • Rand Paul, US Senator 2011 -
  • Chris Christie, Morris County Board member 1995 - 1997, US Attorney 2002 - 2008, New Jersey Governor 2010 -
  • Mike Huckabee, Arkansas Lt Governor 1993 - 1996, Arkansas Governor 1996 - 2007
  • Carly Fiorina (businesswoman)
  • Jim Gilmore, Virginia Attorney General 1994 - 1997, Virginia Governor 1998 - 2002
  • Rick Santorum, US Rep 1991 - 1995, US Senator 1995 - 2007
  • Rick Perry, Texas Rep 1985 - 1991, Texas Agriculture Comm 1991 - 1999, Texas Lt Governor 1999 - 2000, Texas Governor 2000 - 2015
  • Scott Walker, Wisconsin Ass'm 1993 - 2002, Milwaukee County Exec 2002 - 2010, Wisconsin Governor 2011 -
  • Bobby Jindal, US Ass't Sec'y of Health and Huamn Services 2001 - 2003, US House 2005 - 2008, Louisiana Governor 2008 - 2016
  • Lindsey Graham, South Carolina Rep 1993 - 1995, US Rep 1995 - 2003, US Senator 2003 -
  • George Pataki, Peekskill Mayor 1981 - 1984, New York Ass'm 1985 - 1992, New York Senate 1993 - 1994, New York Governor 1995 - 2006
(I've cut off in 2016) Some of his opponents had a lot of political experience.

By comparison, AOC's run for office was her first run, and Joe Crowley was in office for 20 years. Her political experience before her run was being an intern for Senator Teddy Kennedy in her college years and campaigning for Bernie Sanders in 2016.

The rest of that article is in that vein. She seems to be treating Catholicism as a system of ethics.
As if Religious Right wasn't bad enough. Now we are getting it from both flanks!
But we haven't seen much of a Religious Left, and I haven't seen anything like that article before or since in anything that AOC has said or written.

The rise of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in 2019 | TheHill - she's had quite a year.
  • Grilling Michael Cohen

Listing AOC's victory over Joe Crowley alongside two comparable ones: Dave Brat's victory over Eric Cantor and Donald Trump's victory over several Republican politicians and his Democratic opponent.

Dave Brat was an obscure economics professor who defeated Eric Cantor in a Republican primary in 2014. Eric Cantor had a long career:
However, Dave Brat was not very distinguished in the House, and in 2018, he was defeated by Democrat Abigail Spanberger.

Donald Trump was a businessman who ran for President in the Reform Party in 1999 and 2000, before dropping out of that party's primaries early in 2000. His opponents in 2016:
  • John Kasich, Ohio Senator 1979 - 1983, US Rep 1983 - 2001, Ohio Governor 2011 -
  • Chris Christie, Morris County Board member 1995 - 1997, US Attorney 2002 - 2008, New Jersey Governor 2010 -
  • Mike Huckabee, Arkansas Lt Governor 1993 - 1996, Arkansas Governor 1996 - 2007
  • Jim Gilmore, Virginia Attorney General 1994 - 1997, Virginia Governor 1998 - 2002
  • Rick Perry, Texas Rep 1985 - 1991, Texas Agriculture Comm 1991 - 1999, Texas Lt Governor 1999 - 2000, Texas Governor 2000 - 2015
  • Scott Walker, Wisconsin Ass'm 1993 - 2002, Milwaukee County Exec 2002 - 2010, Wisconsin Governor 2011 -
  • Bobby Jindal, US Ass't Sec'y of Health and Huamn Services 2001 - 2003, US House 2005 - 2008, Louisiana Governor 2008 - 2016
  • Lindsey Graham, South Carolina Rep 1993 - 1995, US Rep 1995 - 2003, US Senator 2003 -
  • George Pataki, Peekskill Mayor 1981 - 1984, New York Ass'm 1985 - 1992, New York Senate 1993 - 1994, New York Governor 1995 - 2006

By comparison, AOC's run for office was her first run, and Joe Crowley was in office for 20 years. Her political experience before her run was being an intern for Senator Teddy Kennedy in her college years and campaigning for Bernie Sanders in 2016.

To be fair, Crowley was not much of a campaigner. He was a Dem machine operative who inherited the seat.

Her falling ass-backwards into a seat on one of world's most powerful legislative bodies
doesn't count?
Explain this to me. I mean the falling ass backwards into her seat part. It was an accident? A fluke? Kind of like she didn't attend a good college or earn a degree or graduate with honors or receive honors while in high school? That kind of falling ass backwards?

Didn't she do and pass an economics degree? She sure seems to know about economics doesn't she, not!

Indeed. AOC attended Boston University, one of the top rated universities in the US and quite selective. She graduated cum laude with a double major in international relations and economics. She supported herself as a waitress and bartender while also performing a lot of volunteer work and starting a publishing firm. She seems bright, well engaged, well informed and extremely energetic.

Indeed. AOC attended Boston University, one of the top rated universities in the US and quite selective.
US News ranks Boston #40 nationally. While that's pretty good, it's not the very top and it's lower than many public schools.
It is selective, but AOC would have been a beneficiary of so-called "affirmative action" (i.e. discrimination by race and ethnicity) and thus that need not have meant much for her.

She graduated cum laude with a double major in international relations and economics.
And yet has no understanding of either.

She seems bright, well engaged, well informed and extremely energetic.
I'll give you "extremely energetic" but not the rest.

Was it really her fault that that election had a low turnout?
Pushed into it??? As far as I can tell, it was completely voluntary on her part.

Yes. Especially the part where she won a primary election that had an extremely low turnout and in a district where the general election doesn't matter. Her "Justice Democrats" handlers caught Crawley napping. But she still lucked into it.
I will concede that selecting NY-14 to run in may have been some strategy on her part. She noticed that Joe Crowley has not been challenged in his party in a long time.

Of course, after her win, JD installed one of their own (that guy who is a fan of a Nazi collaborator) into her office.
An Asian Indian nationalist with very bad taste in friends.

https://gellerreport.com/2019/12/aoc-accepted-funding-from-hard-left-billionaire.html/

December 26, 2019 | 12:10pm | NY Post:

Progressive Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) railed against moderate Democrats for being “funded by billionaires” in a steadfast defense of political “purity tests,” all while neglecting to mention her own acceptance of a billionaire’s donation to her campaign.
He contributed the same way as everybody else. AOC didn't have dinner with him in a wine cave with a fancy chandelier.

Wayback Machine - it lists AOC as having graduated cum laude (with praise).

US News ranks Boston #40 nationally. While that's pretty good, it's not the very top and it's lower than many public schools.

It is indeed highly rated. It honestly does not matter whether it is a public or private university in terms of ranking. It is unlikely that AOC was expected to pay full freight any more than my kid was and frankly, our family was doing pretty well, although we did have more than one kid attending university at the time. Still, quite well enough that no public university would have offered any of my kids a dime in financial aid, making the privates fully competitive with respect to costs.

It is selective, but AOC would have been a beneficiary of so-called "affirmative action" (i.e. discrimination by race and ethnicity) and thus that need not have meant much for her.

Regarding her accomplishments in high school (from Wikipedia):
Ocasio-Cortez attended Yorktown High School, graduating in 2007.[17] In high school and college, Ocasio-Cortez went by the name of "Sandy".[18] She came in second in the Microbiology category of the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair with a microbiology research project on the effect of antioxidants on the lifespan of the nematode C. elegans.[19] In a show of appreciation for her efforts, the MIT Lincoln Laboratory named a small asteroid after her: 23238 Ocasio-Cortez.[20][21] In high school, she took part in the National Hispanic Institute's Lorenzo de Zavala (LDZ) Youth Legislative Session. She later became the LDZ Secretary of State while she attended Boston University. Ocasio-Cortez had a John F. Lopez Fellowship.[9]

Yes, it's quite clear why she would need tons of affirmative action in order to get into any decent school. Please get over yourself. She was admitted to a highly competitive university because she was a highly qualified and highly accomplished and driven student in high school I am certain that BU was happy to count her in their Latinix column but that is hardly why she was admitted.

And yet has no understanding of either.

Her understanding of both seems to greatly surpass yours but perhaps that's because you confuse ideology with understanding and comprehension.

I think I asked before and I don't know whether you missed my question or simply didn't answer--or maybe I missed your answer, in which case I offer my apologies: What college did YOU got to? What was your degree? What was your GPA? How many volunteer programs did you start or work in? Any special scholarships or honors? There are often special programs that admit and recognize first generation students.

Is there anything in your background that would make any of us think that you might hold some insights into economics or international relations that anyone else with a high school education might have? Because I'm missing it altogether.

Primaries typically do have low voter turnout.
True, but
a) usually not THIS low
b) low turnout makes it more likely such accidental upsets happen

Perhaps her 10 term opponent should not have been so arrogant or complacent as to not mount a contest against her.
He did not predict a threat, true. Another thing that broke her way. Or rather, JD's way.

It seems to me that she's the one who fell ass backwards out of office by putting in so little effort to defeating a young, inexperienced opponent.
He didn't expect to be stabbed in the back by somebody ostensibly from his own party. But then again, AOC's main allegiance is not the Democratic Party but JD and DSA.

In the general election she won with 78% of the vote (110,318) to Pappas' 14% (17,7620.
In a district that would vote for anybody with a D behind their name with similar margins.

People seem to like her pretty well so I wouldn't call her win an 'accident.'
Some people sure like her. Especially lpetrich. ;) But others are annoyed by her.

LOL, I think you'll have to provide some source material here. I realize that there is a not tiny contingent of people who find it impossible to believe that an attractive Latina woman is also intelligent, well educated, and well informed or passionate about anything other than getting her nails done.
I am certainly not part of that contingent. But I have seen enough of what AOC has put forward since 2018 that I do not believe her to be intelligent or well informed. She is certainly well educated formally (although I do not think she benefited that much from it) and I do not think anybody would dispute her being passionate.

She accumulated debt at Boston College (my personal dream college)
Boston University is where AOC went to. Boston College is a Jesuit college. Which one is your personal dream?

but she would have also accumulated debt at any of the SUNY schools.
Not necessarily, and if so, far less than she ended up accumulating.

Having sent two of my kids to out of state private colleges, I can tell you with great certainty that there is a sticker price for such schools---and then there is the price that is offered to very bright and talented students. I have no idea how much AOS paid in tuition and room/board but I do know that the price offered my kid was virtually identical to the price that it would have cost at a local, in state university.
Well, as you said, we don't know how much AOC was paying total. But the google search page lists average cost after aid as $35k. Which is of course still high. And you can't compare after aid cost of a private school with sticker price of a state school. There are scholarships etc. available there as well.

The cost to attend a private school is the same for in state and out of state students, except that transportation tends to be more for out of state schools.
I know that. But if a NYC kid goes to a local private school like NYU they can live at home and not pay room and board.

Sure she used her degree even if she didn't sign on to be economist 2nd class at some firm somewhere.
Please tell me how.

And she's certainly using it now, and seems extremely well informed about economic issues.
FaintDistantIchthyostega-size_restricted.gif

Reports are that she actually attends full sessions and all the committee meetings, something that is pretty rare.
I don't care what she attends. I care what she understands. I have not seen anything in what she is saying that indicate any understanding of economics.

Were you unaware that the government can make new money?
Too well aware. I used to pay for things like groceries with notes denominated in the millions. Not quite as bad as Zimbabwe's infamous 100 trillion, but still pretty bad.
Now in the US monetary policy is one step removed from the actual government for the very reason to reduce the danger of governments inflating the money supply to pay for projects like GND.

I paid attention in my high school civics class. Didn't you?
I sure have.

I do, usually. But sometimes people don't use words the same way and when one is talking about a specific discipline, such as economics, sometimes people use words as they are commonly used rather than as specific terms as defined and used within that discipline. This is a problem that I see with economics. A lot of people think they know much more than they do know because they think that the words they use are the same as the terms an economist uses when really, they aren't talking about the same things at all.
What are you talking about here specifically? Do you think AOC used some word in a highly technical sense that somehow makes her plan to implement GND workable?

Was it really her fault that that election had a low turnout?
No, but then again, I never said it was.

Pushed into it??? As far as I can tell, it was completely voluntary on her part.
No, it was not involuntary. But JD identified districts where they wanted to remove moderate democrats and then found candidates like AOC.

I will concede that selecting NY-14 to run in may have been some strategy on her part. She noticed that Joe Crowley has not been challenged in his party in a long time.
Not she. JD.

An Asian Indian nationalist with very bad taste in friends.
And Saikat is a Bengali with a very bad taste in idols.

He contributed the same way as everybody else. AOC didn't have dinner with him in a wine cave with a fancy chandelier.
What I really not get. What's wrong with having a fundraiser at a winery? Or with unique chandeliers?
It's all been quite silly and I think the attack backfired.

Wayback Machine - it lists AOC as having graduated cum laude (with praise).

Cum laude is not that hard to get. At Boston, it's the 70th to 84th percentiles of graduates.

It is indeed highly rated. It honestly does not matter whether it is a public or private university in terms of ranking. It is unlikely that AOC was expected to pay full freight any more than my kid was and frankly, our family was doing pretty well, although we did have more than one kid attending university at the time. Still, quite well enough that no public university would have offered any of my kids a dime in financial aid, making the privates fully competitive with respect to costs.
In vast majority of cases an in-state public university will be significantly cheaper than a private one.

Yes, it's quite clear why she would need tons of affirmative action in order to get into any decent school. Please get over yourself. She was admitted to a highly competitive university because she was a highly qualified and highly accomplished and driven student in high school I am certain that BU was happy to count her in their Latinix column but that is hardly why she was admitted.

On paper, those things you listed do seem quite impressive. But they do not fit her life after college (working as a bartender instead of getting a real job) nor her lack of understanding today. It's as if her life so far is one of two halves. Maybe something happened in college. It's quite baffling if all those honors she got in high school are real.
And by the way, I really hate the idiotic "Latinx" neologism. It's peak wokeism.

Her understanding of both seems to greatly surpass yours but perhaps that's because you confuse ideology with understanding and comprehension.
I think you do. What has she said that you think is so smart? Certainly not her GND push.
Her understanding of international affairs is weak as well. She

I think I asked before and I don't know whether you missed my question or simply didn't answer--or maybe I missed your answer, in which case I offer my apologies: What college did YOU got to?
I did answer it before, but I am not sure to what level of detail. Easy to miss in a thread 100s of pages long I understand. :)
Let me answer your first question - Georgia Tech. Public university, very well ranked. And I went almost tuition-free thanks to the generous contributions of Georgia lottery players. It truly is a voluntary tax on math-challenged. :)

I don't think I am comfortable going into more detail with you. After all, unlike me, AOC is a public figure.

Is there anything in your background that would make any of us think that you might hold some insights into economics or international relations that anyone else with a high school education might have? Because I'm missing it altogether.

For one, I understand what money is. I understand that conjuring five times the US GDP out of thin air to pay for a pet project that is only tangentially related to climate is an incredibly stupid idea. Even if somebody named a space pebble after you as a second prize in a high school competition.

• Grilling Michael Cohen

To be fair, Crowley was not much of a campaigner. He was a Dem machine operative who inherited the seat.

He also isn't as pretty and hasn't got tits, so he was on the back foot from day one of the campaign.

I realize that there is a not tiny contingent of people who find it impossible to believe that an attractive Latina woman is also intelligent, well educated, and well informed or passionate about anything other than getting her nails done.
Yes, the idea that if one's good-looking, then one has exploited one's looks and that one cannot have any other merit. But nobody seems to criticize (say) Pete Buttigieg for that reason.
And she's certainly using it now, and seems extremely well informed about economic issues. Reports are that she actually attends full sessions and all the committee meetings, something that is pretty rare.
It helps that she does not have to spend much of her days dialing for dollars -- many Congresspeople have to do that.

True, but
a) usually not THIS low
AOC has claimed that the New York State primary turnout is very low -- the second lowest in the nation. She claims that NY is as bad as the Deep South in election laws. At least before some recent reforms.

What I really not get. What's wrong with having a fundraiser at a winery? Or with unique chandeliers?
It's all been quite silly and I think the attack backfired.
That dinner shows how he was coming after big money, and it did so in a very graphic way.

You are aware that most if not all politicians have speech writers right? What I have seen from her is complete fantasy and nonsense!

That's not an ideology. But thanks for confirming that, as usual, you have no idea what you are going on about.
I think you are a bit harsh, Hus posting record indicates an expertise in complete fantasy snd nonsense.

WEB EXTRA One on one interview with Rep Ocasio Cortez 1080 x 1920 - YouTube - when she was in Las Vegas. An English-language one. She also did a Spanish-language one with a different interviewer that day.

She said that the House was doing its job in impeaching Trump, even if the Senate won't follow through with it. She calls her time in office "overwhelming", and she then described the firsts of her fellow new Congresspeople in the last election, like AOC being the youngest woman ever elected to the House. She beat Elise Stefanik, who in turn beat Elizabeth Holtzman. It's the 3rd impeachment of a president, it's been "tumultuous" but also "exciting", and "there is a lot of opportunity in this moment to really come together as a country."

Bernie Sanders isn't just running for himself, he's been running for the sake of a big movement, hoping to bring it into the White House. As to the Green New Deal, she states that it has three main principles:
  1. Reducing carbon emissions drastically
  2. Putting large numbers of people to work
  3. Focusing on vulnerable communities
The cost of not doing anything will be much greater than the cost of doing something, she says.

Then how the southwestern states will become more prominent and Hispanic voters in them.

True, but
a) usually not THIS low

Surely you do not believe that AOC was responsible for low voter turnout? It's hardly her fault if her opponent was so complacent that he didn't care to mount an actual campaign.

He did not predict a threat, true. Another thing that broke her way. Or rather, JD's way.

Oh, FFS. Yes: elections are won and lost on decisions, both poor and wise and twists of fate and the weather and so on. AOC certainly has invested a great deal of energy and effort into winning her office and into serving her district well. Too bad her predecessor did not.

It seems to me that she's the one who fell ass backwards out of office by putting in so little effort to defeating a young, inexperienced opponent.
He didn't expect to be stabbed in the back by somebody ostensibly from his own party. But then again, AOC's main allegiance is not the Democratic Party but JD and DSA.

Thinking you can do a better job and being willing to do it is not 'stabbing someone in the back.' He'd had 10 terms. Was he entitled to office for life? If he wasn't interested enough in defending his seat, he deserved to lose it.

And isn't this all ironic? I thought you were opposed to holding office for life and also that you blamed Hillary for not taking Wisconsin seriously....

I think the real issue is that it bothers you to see a woman, especially a young, attractive woman in office.

In the general election she won with 78% of the vote (110,318) to Pappas' 14% (17,7620.
In a district that would vote for anybody with a D behind their name with similar margins.

So?

People seem to like her pretty well so I wouldn't call her win an 'accident.'
Some people sure like her. Especially lpetrich. ;) But others are annoyed by her.

And so it ever was and is and will be on any issue or person ever.

I am certainly not part of that contingent. But I have seen enough of what AOC has put forward since 2018 that I do not believe her to be intelligent or well informed. She is certainly well educated formally (although I do not think she benefited that much from it) and I do not think anybody would dispute her being passionate.
Well, of course you don't think she's well informed or intelligent. She's a young woman. And she holds positions that you don't agree with.

She accumulated debt at Boston College (my personal dream college)
Boston University is where AOC went to. Boston College is a Jesuit college. Which one is your personal dream?
Lol: Boston University. I mis-typed.

but she would have also accumulated debt at any of the SUNY schools.
Not necessarily, and if so, far less than she ended up accumulating.

Oh, quite probably she accumulated very similar amounts of debt. Again, I write from the experience and perspective of having put all of my children through college, some private some public. The net cost was extremely similar between the two for our middle to upper middle class family. And also from watching one of their close friends whose financial situation was actually quite dire turned down for any real financial aid beyond loans from a state university. He had excellent grades and test scores despite a very chaotic home life that included bouts of homelessness and being told at age 18 that he was now responsible for his grandmother who stole the rent money from this same 18 year old grandson. That whole situation is a novel and a half but nope: in the US, being very bright and motivated does not get you reduced rates at a state college. So yeah, I think I probably know better than you do on that score.

Having sent two of my kids to out of state private colleges, I can tell you with great certainty that there is a sticker price for such schools---and then there is the price that is offered to very bright and talented students. I have no idea how much AOS paid in tuition and room/board but I do know that the price offered my kid was virtually identical to the price that it would have cost at a local, in state university.
Well, as you said, we don't know how much AOC was paying total. But the google search page lists average cost after aid as $35k. Which is of course still high. And you can't compare after aid cost of a private school with sticker price of a state school. There are scholarships etc. available there as well.

I just did compare them. I am telling you the absolute truth that my kid's offer at the fancy private school, whose prices were on par with BU's was right in line with what they would have paid at the state university system school. It is really, really, really difficult to get any aid from a state university except loans. Please see my example above. And also, please note: My kids are about the same age as AOC so it's a pretty spot on comparison. I don't write this to convince you of anything. You made your mind up because of some drivel you read on some alt-right site (I've seen that crap as well so I recognize things). But there are parents out there with kids who may not be aware that it is indeed possible to afford private school if that's the school that best suits your kid.

The cost to attend a private school is the same for in state and out of state students, except that transportation tends to be more for out of state schools.
I know that. But if a NYC kid goes to a local private school like NYU they can live at home and not pay room and board.

Depends on where they live. What is your personal hard on for the idea that no working class kid, especially if they are not lily white can dare to go to a private school? Frankly, good for her that she went to BU! It's a great school with a wonderful program.

Sure she used her degree even if she didn't sign on to be economist 2nd class at some firm somewhere.
Please tell me how.

She certainly is well informed for her current job.

I don't care what she attends. I care what she understands. I have not seen anything in what she is saying that indicate any understanding of economics.

She disagrees with you. Where did you become so well educated on economics?

Were you unaware that the government can make new money?
Too well aware. I used to pay for things like groceries with notes denominated in the millions. Not quite as bad as Zimbabwe's infamous 100 trillion, but still pretty bad.
Now in the US monetary policy is one step removed from the actual government for the very reason to reduce the danger of governments inflating the money supply to pay for projects like GND.

I misunderstood that you were a first generation American, not an immigrant yourself. My apologies.

I paid attention in my high school civics class. Didn't you?
I sure have.

If you say so. Perhaps things work differently here in America.

I do, usually. But sometimes people don't use words the same way and when one is talking about a specific discipline, such as economics, sometimes people use words as they are commonly used rather than as specific terms as defined and used within that discipline. This is a problem that I see with economics. A lot of people think they know much more than they do know because they think that the words they use are the same as the terms an economist uses when really, they aren't talking about the same things at all.
What are you talking about here specifically? Do you think AOC used some word in a highly technical sense that somehow makes her plan to implement GND workable?

No, I think you don't understand GND or economics or half of what you write. You cannot tell the difference between disagreeing with how to achieve something or about what goals should be achieved or attempted and actual understanding. Again: did you go to college? Do you have a background in economics aside from whatever you read on the altright and incel sites you like to frequent?

AOC certainly has invested a great deal of energy and effort into winning her office and into serving her district well. Too bad her predecessor did not.
She's held about one town hall a month for the last year, and that is likely more than what her predecessor Joe Crowley has held over his entire House career. Consider:

Crowley holds gun town hall in Queens 1 - Queens Chronicle: Queenswide - 2018 Apr 12

Dem Rep. Crowley sees friendly crowd - Queens Chronicle: Queenswide - 2017 Jun 1

Joe, Take Your Own Advice - NRCC - 2017 Feb 27 - claims that his most recent town hall was in 2016 Nov, and no previous one for over a year.

Noise concerns heard at town hall 2 - Queens Chronicle: Queenswide - 2015 Oct 22

More evidence of Joe Crowley's absenteeism.

Annabel Palma - she subbed for him in debating AOC. She seemed out of her depth, from what was in "Knock Down The House". Also, from that Wikipedia article, "She has come under fire for frequent absences from official council duties."

So?
It showed that she was not a horrible turn-off.

Back
Top Bottom