• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

AOC visiting an empty migrant compound. But hey, never waste a photo opp.

View attachment 27188

You've used this deceptive picture before and apparently didn't learn your lesson.

Note the narrow angle--you can't actually see what's inside from this photo, it is not evidence the compound is empty. (And it wasn't.)

It wasn't exactly full either! :laugh:

You laugh because your dishonest portrayal of a photograph was caught?

rafael on Twitter: "Live right now on IG, after a long day of work, @AOC is mentoring young people on how to navigate one of the prohibitive entry fees to professional life for working class people - the high cost of business clothing. https://t.co/h5zMcJNwkA" / Twitter - she had a problem: lack of professional clothes. She got help from a sort of a friend of a friend: a former judge who had lots of old clothes. So she wore hand-me-downs in her first 6 months of Congress.

She was doing gel nails with a UV lamp. The ultraviolet light made the gel harden. She didn't save her IG Live livestream, but I caught some of it. I liked how she imagined that Republicans might ridicule public libraries if the notion was proposed to them. Who's going to pay for them? Won't everybody steal all the books? I think that she ought to make fun of Republicans in this way about military and police forces.

Wajahat "Social Distance Yourself" Ali on Twitter: "I'm watching @AOC do one of her Instagram live chats and it's so impressive. She's answering questions, talking policy, being real, while also...doing her nails. I get why the right hates her. They realize she's got massive influence and potential and talent." / Twitter

AOC's Primary Challenger Rakes In Wall Street Donations - YouTube - MCC

Emma Vigeland suspects that Rashida Tlaib has a stronger primary challenger, but she concedes that MCC's supporters have very deep pockets.

GOP Creates Evil AOC Clone - YouTube - fun to watch it again :D
I like their speculation that MCC's handlers did some affirmative action: look for a young Latina woman with a hyphenated name.

I've sometimes imagined what a ST:TOS "Mirror, Mirror" evil AOC might be like, and MCC seems close.

Live interview: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez - YouTube - I saw this on Politico's site, and Politico uploaded it to YouTube.

I looked at AOC's opponents:
New York's 14th Congressional District election, 2020 - Ballotpedia
New York's 14th Congressional District - Ballotpedia

Jose Velazquez's campaign site still has only a home page: Jose 2020

Sam Sloan has entered the race. He has run in earlier elections:
  • 2016, NY-13 D primary, 0.5%
  • 2014, NY Gov D primary, did not qualify
  • 2014, NY-15 D primary, 8.8%

Israel Ortega Cruz has apparently quit the race. His campaign site - Israel Ortega Cruz For Congress | NY 14th District Republican Candidate – Common Sense Politics - is still active, but his Facebook and Twitter campaign accounts have disappeared.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: ".@fatjoe really put the heat on and pressed me for my Top Five after asking me about federal COVID response 😭
Thank you Joe - I’m thankful we had the opportunity to connect and talk about how coronavirus is impacting our communities, and have some lighter moments thrown in too. https://t.co/PGdbRO07pJ" / Twitter

noting
Andrew Jerell Jones, Luke 1:37 on Twitter: "The @AOC is put on the spot to name her favorite Top 5 rappers of all time by @fatjoe.
Jay-Z did NOT make the cut! 😉 https://t.co/Rps7lyQSMb" / Twitter

and
Andrew Jerell Jones, Luke 1:37 on Twitter: "Always proud of my B.U. friend, day in and day out. 😉 https://t.co/30k0D16ryy" / Twitter
with pictures of him with AOC from past years, including one with AOC wearing her BU-era glasses. The glasses that she wore from her late teens to her early twenties.

Shana Knizhnik on Twitter: "Why yes of course @AOC & @fatjoe are on Instagram Live discussing social distancing in the House of Representatives, her thoughts on Stacy Abrams as VP (she had only positive things to say), her mutual aid work in the Bronx, and Trump’s immigration ban https://t.co/aHwDQWMnEG" / Twitter
Social distancing like letting in only a few Reps at a time. AOC noted that the House chamber is a lot smaller than it might seem on TV.

She also talked about becoming famous -- it was a BIG jolt for her. The day of the election, Tuesday, June 26, 2018, was the last day of her anonymous, sort-of-normal life. The next day was the beginning of her life as a political celebrity - she had triumphed over the 4th most powerful Democrat in the House.

I recall her slamming the Trump Admin for not allowing citizenship applications to continue.

Shana Knizhnik on Twitter: ""These ICE detention centers--people are being locked up in these detention centers, they have not committed any crime. They are accused of a civil violation." -@AOC" / Twitter

Shana Knizhnik on Twitter: "Now moving to @AOC's top 5 rappers (in no particular order): Nas, Big Pun, Biggie, Tupac, KRS-One" / Twitter

Ryan Knight 🌹 on Twitter: "Three progressive champions — @AOC, @PramilaJayapal, and @AyannaPressley — explain why #COVIDー19 has only reaffirmed our need for #MedicareForAll. https://t.co/HXnHf83jk7" / Twitter

Angela Belcamino on Twitter: "Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez just said on her Instagram live stream to Fat Joe that she is 💯 percent voting for Joe Biden!
Thank you @AOC! 👑
#Biden2020" / Twitter

Tom Elliott on Twitter: "While doing her nails, @AOC waxes rhapsodic about the money-losing U.S. Postal Service, imagines a day they can take over the banking industry; adds that Republicans oppose mail-in voting b/c they prefer "tyranny" https://t.co/TktemX1pDy" / Twitter
A right-winger's take on AOC's defense of the US Post Office. AOC makes a lot of sense. I like her ridicule of right-wingers' objections -- "how are you going to pay for it?" "People are going to steal all its books." She also proposes postal banking, like check-cashing services without exorbitant fees. She also wants universal mail-in voting. She also says that Republicans don't like it because they are afraid that they will lose. Something Donald Trump himself has claimed. They do voter suppression because they don't expect to win if every possible voter can vote.

rafael on Twitter: "Live right now on IG, after a long day of work, @AOC is mentoring young people on how to navigate one of the prohibitive entry fees to professional life for working class people - the high cost of business clothing. https://t.co/h5zMcJNwkA" / Twitter

Zee Cohen-Sanchez on Twitter: ". @AOC and her team have been delivering food and necessary items to the elderly and vulnerable in her district. This is true leadership in every single sense that of the word. https://t.co/GGClL1jet5" / Twitter

MissJarlene on Twitter: "Look who I bumped into during some cleanse shopping! Love running into @aoc! She’s always so pleasant! Thank you for all you do for our communities AOC! https://t.co/Adhpx6oXtq" / Twitter

NYPD Housing PSA 8 on Twitter: "Very important that the strides made to bring community and police together remain strong during this time. Thank you @AOC for your continued support of PSA8 and our residents delivering groceries to our most vulnerable seniors this morning💙. https://t.co/d4IkCmD6HP" / Twitter
Some right-wingers claimed that that violated the Hatch Act, meaning that gov't employees are not to be involved in electioneering.

The Hill on Twitter: "Rep. @AOC: "If you have a different member of Congress that's representing you, it's really important that you voice your opposition to these bailouts—because the reason a lot of Democrats, I think, vote for these bills is b/c they're scared of what will happen if they don't." https://t.co/WpBTAi94fv" / Twitter - she described herself as "hootin' and hollerin'" on the House floor about the bailout.

The Hill on Twitter: "Rep. @AOC: "You are not in this alone... We are all in this together." https://t.co/cJjPovVpou" / Twitter
Great message.

The Hill on Twitter: "Rep. @AOC: "The 90-day eviction moratorium covers everyone... A landlord cannot take you to court." https://t.co/zc7a4oIsHF" / Twitter - in New York

D94JEyTXYAEM5zj

D94JGvUXUAAbMRP

Is she rehearsing for a bit part in a forthcoming anti the Trump ad, or an actual B Class film?

D94JEyTXYAEM5zj

D94JGvUXUAAbMRP

Is she rehearsing for a bit part in a forthcoming anti the Trump ad, or an actual B Class film?

You can almost hear the conversation with her photographer just seconds before the photo was taken:

AOC: OK, for this one I'm going to bend over, cover my eyes with my hand and look sad.
Photographer: Sure...hold on while I get in position...
AOC: <30 seconds pass...AOC opens her fingers a bit and peeks through>. Did you take it yet?

D94JEyTXYAEM5zj

D94JGvUXUAAbMRP

We have already explained to you the deceptive nature of this picture. Why do you continue to use it?

The only deception here is the " bimbo" deceiving her sheeple followers!

The deception is the angle of the shot trying to show the place is empty when it is not. It's been busted multiple times:

Note that both of these have photos of the actual area so you can see your shot is deceptive

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/aoc-empty-parking-lot/
https://www.politifact.com/factchec...ge/no-isnt-photo-aoc-crying-over-parking-lot/

AOC's Office Is Checking on How Constituents Are Dealing With COVID-19 | Vogue
The office of New York Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, though, has been directly reaching out to constituents in the Bronx and Queens to ask if their basic needs are being met during the COVID-19 pandemic, with a tweet from New York-based writer Nicole Schuman about receiving a call from the Congresswoman's office quickly going viral.

Schuman told Vogue about the experience she had with Ocasio-Cortez's office on Thursday: "I was working at the dining table when the phone rang. Normally I don't pick up calls from random numbers, but it was a 917 New York area code, so I figured it might be important. I answered and a woman on the other end of the line said she was representing AOC's office and wanted to know how I was doing, asked if I needed groceries or medication. I gratefully declined, but thanked her profusely for the call and told her how touched I was that they were doing this. She explained the program and that she was a volunteer working from home, and instructed me to visit the website if I wanted to volunteer as well. She also left me with the AOC office number in case we needed anything in the future."

Ocasio-Cortez's office confirmed that they have implemented this kind of check-in, with Communications Director Lauren Hitt noting that volunteers for the campaign have been calling constituents "for over a month now." "We started with seniors and once we called through those moved onto to middle-aged and younger constituents," said Hitt, adding that volunteers have called 56,479 constituents and actually connected with about 3,256 of them.

... In the replies to Schuman's tweets, a volunteer for Ohio's 1st Congressional District candidate Nikki Foster reported that they had been phonebanking with a similar script.

Nilka Martell on Instagram: “Shout out to @aoc and @hungrymonknyc !!! #TeamAOC” - lots of baskets of donations.

Meena Harris on Instagram: “"If you had urgency, you would legislate like rent was due on May 1."” - AOC in action on the House floor.

Meena Harris on Instagram: “@aoc on @theviewabc in a SEQUINED LEOPARD top. that is all.” - I recall seeing her walk up to the stage and it was a top, not a complete dress. She was also wearing black pants.

Meena Harris is Kamala Harris's niece.
Phenomenal Girl
Kamala and Maya’s Big Idea

Based on a true story from the childhood of Meena’s aunt, Senator Kamala Harris, and mom, Maya Harris, Kamala and Maya’s Big Idea is about two sisters working together to create change in their community.

Vogue Magazine on Twitter: "The office of New York Congresswoman @AOC has been directly reaching out to constituents in the Bronx and Queens to ask if their basic needs are being met during the COVID-19 pandemic. https://t.co/Qg9kPAvTpo" / Twitter
and
Vogue Magazine on Twitter: "At a time when so many are grappling with the effects of COVID-19, this kind of direct outreach about individuals' needs feels especially thoughtful right now. https://t.co/Qg9kPAvTpo" / Twitter
then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Our community is so thankful to each of you volunteering a check-in shift from home &contributing to our on-the-ground relief effort.
So far #TeamAOC has called over 56,000 constituents + raised over $300,000 for local food pantries & orgs.
Join us here: [url]https://t.co/b2B8vjNZ9l
https://t.co/GgQa1d4DoT" / Twitter[/url]

@m2rl3n3 on Instagram: “🔸❈ Gratitud ❈🔸 No words to describe the immense gratitude for our gente always holding it down to keep this country going. Next week I’ll be releasing some prints, including this design, to help raise some funds to help out our hard working campesinos. All proceeds from those will go to them~🌿✊🏾🌿~
#essentialworkers #gratitude #immigrants #campesinos #agriculture #farmworkers #support #artivism #illustration #art #artforthepeople #community #árboldelavida”

Sin la Tierra No Hay Vida.
Sin Campesinos No Hay Comida.
Without the Earth there is no Life.
Without the Farmers there is no Food.

HuffPost on Instagram: “This. 👆 Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) says Republican lawmakers care more about providing emergency relief to big businesses like Ruth’s Chris Steak House and Shake Shack than to small businesses and families struggling to pay rent.”
Yet another showing of that famous clip.

Hungry Monk Rescue Truck (@hungrymonknyc) • Instagram photos and videos - AOC has helped finance this food-pantry charity.

AOC opponent: Coronavirus stimulus vote signals 'being out-of-touch' [Video] - she made a lot of ignorant statements about AOC, like saying that AOC ignores her district. She also bragged about donations of food and facemasks.

Seat at the Table with Anand Giridharadas at VICE TV
Seat At The Table with Anand Giridharadas | Full Episode - YouTube
The VICE TV one shows AG with live video of AOC on a big flat-screen monitor - Solaria 2020 (Isaac Asimov's "The Naked Sun"), and we see that at the beginning of the video.

The NYT recently noted that if US economic inequality had stayed frozen at 1980's levels, it would be the equivalent of the bottom 90% of Americans receiving $12,000 more per year than they now do. So most Americans are effectively sending the billionaires $1000 per month - it was taken by policy choices.

AG then notes that this crisis is making obvious many weaknesses in contemporary society. He then notes the French Revolution. Opinion | Who Will Win the Fight for a Post-Coronavirus America? - The New York Times - by Rebecca Solnit - "Every disaster shakes loose the old order. What replaces it is up to us." - "The scramble has already begun. The possibilities for change, for the better or the worse, for a more egalitarian or more authoritarian society, burst out of the gate like racehorses at times like these."

Naomi Klein wrote a book "The Shock Doctrine" about how corrupt crony capitalists exploit crises for their benefit. It's happening here also, with the Trump Admin scrapping pollution regulations. Crises can go the other way, as NK herself notes. Like the Great Depression provoking the New Deal. We are also seeing a lot of courage and resilience and creativity from ordinary people, like nurses making hazmat suits from plastic trash bags.

Me: from the looks of it, the US has been stuck in Gilded Age II for over 40 years, longer than the previous Gilded Age at 30 years -  Cyclical theory (United States history) - in the Schlesinger theory, US history goes in cycles between liberal and conservative, human rights and property rights, the wrongs of the many and the rights of the few, increasing democracy and containing democracy, public purpose and private interest.

Liberal periods end from activism burnout, especially if the activism has scored some big successes. Activism is not a free action - it requires a lot of effort and resource expenditure. Their ending thus often includes a lot of unfinished business - and it may take a long time to return to such business.

Conservative periods end from unsolved social problems accumulating. These problems are unsolved because society's elites are unwilling to do much to fix them, if they consider those problems to be real problems that must be solved. These problems may be exacerbated and made very obvious by a crisis, like an economic collapse. These accumulated problems then provoke a lot of activism to solve them.

What we are seeing now is what looks like the ending of Gilded Age II. But efforts to end it have had little success. Obama wimped out very quickly with a totally inadequate solution to the financial crisis of 2008, and the Occupy movement fizzled, with its organizers never bothering to find new campsites.

There is a little bit of hope for an ending, and that is efforts to elect more progressive members of Congress and lower-level governments. The Presidency is not enough. Brand New Congress, AOC's recruiter, was founded with that very premise, though its only success to date has been AOC herself.

AG then introduces his first guess, AOC, in Solaria fashion, not in person, but with a video link. AG then introduces her district as having had some of the worst-hit areas of the nation. She described having to give a lot of condolences to people who have lost friends and family members to the disease. Then how it has shaped her personal beliefs. She says that it's made them clearer. Like the importance of Medicare for All.

AOC's Courage to Change PAC - originally 7 candidates, now 5.
  • No primary yet: Kara Eastman NE-02 (May 12), Teresa Leger Fernandez NM-03 (Jun 2), Samelys Lopez NY-15 (Jun 23)
  • Won primary: Marie Newman IL-03 +2.7%, Georgette Gomez CA-53 +7.0% (2nd place, -9.1% rel. to 1st place)
  • Lost primary: Jessica Cisneros TX-28 -3.6%, Cristina Tzintzún Ramirez TX-SEN -1.3% (3rd place)
AOC herself has a primary election coming up on Jun 23.

She then described what one of her mentors called "the golden gate of retreat". A way to change one's mind while saving face. Although she concedes that some people have to be shamed into doing the right thing, she does think that offering a way to save face while changing sides is a good thing.

Then what might make her like Joe Biden more. 1. Healthcare, 2. Climate Change, and 3. Any of a whole lots of issues: immigration, reining in Wall Street, stopping money in politics, movement on Puerto Rico, etc. AOC then stated that the nominated Democrat needs youth support to win, and that Joe Biden now is short on it. He's also weak with Latinos, though he's strong with older blacks. Imitating 2016 with Hillary Clinton is a bad idea.

IMO, a serious problem is that Trump may try to outflank JB on his left, as he did with Hillary, denouncing the big banks.

AOC doesn't want to speculate about what's on JB's mind, but she notes that he stakes his campaign on wanting to restore normalcy. "Normal" doesn't work for a lot of the population, she notes. But it works for affluent suburbanites, and both parties are courting them.

Then some artists and writers to watch and read. She mentions the works of black feminist bell hooks, the history of the Black Panther movement of the 1960's and its mutual-aid networks, etc. What she could think of.

Then she mentioned the odd notion that "liberation" is "going back to work". She then said that one shouldn't go back to 70-hour days just to survive without any bit of security in our lives. She then mentioned coal-miner rebellions in the early 20th cy., rebellions like the Battle of Blair Mountain in Logan Cty, WV, in 1921. She then lamented how our education system does not do well in teaching Americans about their history.

AG then thanked AOC for being a good guest, one who thinks about answers to questions rather than reciting talking points.

Then AG had Seth MacFarlane of Family Guy and The Orville and Ted the Movie. SMF then said that Oprah Winfrey has used her position and her wealth for a lot of good things, but with one glaring exception: promotion of pseudoscience. He also got into Fox News and how it's not much more than a propaganda network. But it makes a lot of money for the parent company, and business is business.

AG then introduces his first guess, AOC, in Solaria fashion, not in person, but with a video link. AG then introduces her district as having had some of the worst-hit areas of the nation. She described having to give a lot of condolences to people who have lost friends and family members to the disease. Then how it has shaped her personal beliefs. She says that it's made them clearer. Like the importance of Medicare for All.

AOC's Courage to Change PAC - originally 7 candidates, now 5.
  • No primary yet: Kara Eastman NE-02 (May 12), Teresa Leger Fernandez NM-03 (Jun 2), Samelys Lopez NY-15 (Jun 23)
  • Won primary: Marie Newman IL-03 +2.7%, Georgette Gomez CA-53 +7.0% (2nd place, -9.1% rel. to 1st place)
  • Lost primary: Jessica Cisneros TX-28 -3.6%, Cristina Tzintzún Ramirez TX-SEN -1.3% (3rd place)
AOC herself has a primary election coming up on Jun 23.

She then described what one of her mentors called "the golden gate of retreat". A way to change one's mind while saving face. Although she concedes that some people have to be shamed into doing the right thing, she does think that offering a way to save face while changing sides is a good thing.

Then what might make her like Joe Biden more. 1. Healthcare, 2. Climate Change, and 3. Any of a whole lots of issues: immigration, reining in Wall Street, stopping money in politics, movement on Puerto Rico, etc. AOC then stated that the nominated Democrat needs youth support to win, and that Joe Biden now is short on it. He's also weak with Latinos, though he's strong with older blacks. Imitating 2016 with Hillary Clinton is a bad idea.

IMO, a serious problem is that Trump may try to outflank JB on his left, as he did with Hillary, denouncing the big banks.

AOC doesn't want to speculate about what's on JB's mind, but she notes that he stakes his campaign on wanting to restore normalcy. "Normal" doesn't work for a lot of the population, she notes. But it works for affluent suburbanites, and both parties are courting them.

Then some artists and writers to watch and read. She mentions the works of black feminist bell hooks, the history of the Black Panther movement of the 1960's and its mutual-aid networks, etc. What she could think of.

Then she mentioned the odd notion that "liberation" is "going back to work". She then said that one shouldn't go back to 70-hour days just to survive without any bit of security in our lives. She then mentioned coal-miner rebellions in the early 20th cy., rebellions like the Battle of Blair Mountain in Logan Cty, WV, in 1921. She then lamented how our education system does not do well in teaching Americans about their history.

AG then thanked AOC for being a good guest, one who thinks about answers to questions rather than reciting talking points.

Then AG had Seth MacFarlane of Family Guy and The Orville and Ted the Movie. SMF then said that Oprah Winfrey has used her position and her wealth for a lot of good things, but with one glaring exception: promotion of pseudoscience. He also got into Fox News and how it's not much more than a propaganda network. But it makes a lot of money for the parent company, and business is business.

I don't remember Trump slamming the big banks. You could be right. I see nothing wrong with big banks properly regulated. Large companies with complex banking needs require large banks who can provide solutions. I prefer smaller banks, but they can't provide all the services that large banks can.

BTW: AOC was the only congress person to not vote for PPP.

Back
Top Bottom