• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

AOC wants coronavirus 'reparations' for minority communities
AOC and other fauxgressives are all about giving you extra stuff as long as you are not one of those hated white people. :rolleyes:

Yet without those white hated people paying the vast majority of the taxes she wouldn't even be receiving a salary, let alone throwing money around like confetti.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez speaks about Coronavirus Inequality - YouTube - some of a Zoom conversation with Ady Barkan

AOC starts by talking about how the pandemic has amplified the US's social problems. She points out that some communities are getting it much worse than others because they already suffer from various disadvantages. These communities tend to produce more frontline workers, more of the sorts of workers who have to make themselves vulnerable to the virus as part of their jobs.

She recommends to her staff that they take breaks from their work every now and then, to zone out or to have dinners with friends and family or to watch TV or to play some game. One should not try to feel that one should always be super productive. Our job at this time is to take care of ourselves. That should be our #1 priority. We should be willing to go slow, and the idea that one must always be on the move with something seemingly productive she considers a symptom of our "hypercapitalist society". We shouldn't feel that we should have to grind ourselves to the nub.

AOC the philosopher-queen? Sometimes seems like that.

Jon Levine on Twitter: "Some excellent @AOC quarantine content https://t.co/KWj7Vkpulq" / Twitter
Looks very sweet with her and her dog Deco.

World of Wonder on Instagram: “It starts with you. 💕 Getting all the #MondayMotivation this morning and reflecting on @aoc's brilliant words from last week's Untucked 👑…” -- AOC talking to some of the performers in RuPaul's Drag Race.

BoNY on Instagram: “Shubho Naboborsho, or Happy Bengali New Year, to all!.…”
Shubho Naboborsho, or Happy Bengali New Year, to all! The above illustration is by the talented artist @tahsdraws
Pohela Boishakh is the first day of the Bangla calendar. Pohela meaning “first,” and Boishakh being the first month in the Bangla or Bong Calendar which is the official calendar of Bangladesh.

This celebration is deep-rooted in cultural identity; it is a common symbol against all odds. Normally, thousands would swarm to festivals all around the world to ring in the Bangla New Year. However, this year, amid the coronavirus pandemic, celebrations will not go forward. But the spirit of Poha Boishak will continue as Pohela Boishakh is a chance to make a fresh start, marked often by thorough house-cleanings followed by the creation of a colorful alpana on the floor of each home.

History and birth of the Bengali Calendar:
The Mughal Emperor, Akbar began an initiative in the 15th century with the purpose of making the process of tax collection more transparent and easier than how it was before. During the Mughal era, taxes were collected based on the Islamic Hijri calendar.
However, Hijri was a lunar calendar and its new year did not match with the harvest season. To make the tax collection process simpler, the solar Hindu calendar was introduced, marking the beginning of the Bengali calendar.

Poila Baishakh is also celebrated as Vaishakhi among the Sikh and other Hindu communities. It’s also celebrated as Vishu in Kerala and Puthandu in Tamil Nadu. [check out @tahsdraws and her awesome artwork)
The artist: Tahs - Desi Illustrator (@tahsdraws) • Instagram photos and videos

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: "It's legitimate to talk about" allegations against Joe Biden - CBS News
On Tuesday evening in an online conversation with The Wing, a networking and community space for women, a questioner asked Ocasio-Cortez about the accusation recently leveled against Biden by Tara Reade, who worked for him when he was a Delaware senator in the 1990s. The questioner opposes President Trump's reelection, but also "really resent the fact that the other choice is someone who has a really long history of being creepy to women."

Ocasio-Cortez responded, "What you're voicing is so legitimate and real. That's why I find this kind of silencing of all dissent to be a form of gaslighting."

She went on to say, "I think it's legitimate to talk about these things. And if we want, if we again want to have integrity, you can't say, you know — both believe women, support all of this, until it inconveniences you, until it inconveniences us."

"A lot of us are survivors, and it's really, really hard and uncomfortable." Not discussing allegations is the "exact opposite of integrity" the congresswoman said, adding that it is "not okay" to prioritize beating Trump over discussing sensitive #MeToo issues like these because they are "very legitimate thing."

"I think a lot of us are just in this moment where it's like, how did we get here? You know, it almost felt like we started this cycle where we had kind of moved on from, you know, from all of this. And now it feels like we're kind of back in it," Ocasio-Cortez said. "And, you know, the most diverse field that we've ever seen — that we're kind of back kind of replaying old movies in a way."

A very daring move on her part, when the party is lining up behind Joe Biden -- even her mentor and inspiration Bernie Sanders.

BS and JB recently had a lovefest sort of livestream where JB sounded a lot like BS.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: "It's legitimate to talk about" allegations against Joe Biden - CBS News
Ocasio-Cortez responded, "What you're voicing is so legitimate and real. .... She went on to say, "I think it's legitimate to talk about these things. And if we want, if we again want to have integrity, you can't say, you know — both believe women, support all of this, until it inconveniences you, until it inconveniences us." .....

It is legitimate to discuss these things as long as we put them in proper context. Recent accusations seem different in kind from those for which Biden is famous. We need to understand actual circumstances of alleged events rather than take them whole cloth as truth. Agendas are important.

On Tuesday evening in an online conversation with The Wing, a networking and community space for women, a questioner asked Ocasio-Cortez about the accusation recently leveled against Biden by Tara Reade, who worked for him when he was a Delaware senator in the 1990s. The questioner opposes President Trump's reelection, but also "really resent the fact that the other choice is someone who has a really long history of being creepy to women."

Ocasio-Cortez responded, "What you're voicing is so legitimate and real. That's why I find this kind of silencing of all dissent to be a form of gaslighting."

She went on to say, "I think it's legitimate to talk about these things. And if we want, if we again want to have integrity, you can't say, you know — both believe women, support all of this, until it inconveniences you, until it inconveniences us."

"A lot of us are survivors, and it's really, really hard and uncomfortable." Not discussing allegations is the "exact opposite of integrity" the congresswoman said, adding that it is "not okay" to prioritize beating Trump over discussing sensitive #MeToo issues like these because they are "very legitimate thing."

"I think a lot of us are just in this moment where it's like, how did we get here? You know, it almost felt like we started this cycle where we had kind of moved on from, you know, from all of this. And now it feels like we're kind of back in it," Ocasio-Cortez said. "And, you know, the most diverse field that we've ever seen — that we're kind of back kind of replaying old movies in a way."

A very daring move on her part, when the party is lining up behind Joe Biden -- even her mentor and inspiration Bernie Sanders.

BS and JB recently had a lovefest sort of livestream where JB sounded a lot like BS.

She really had no choice but to address the question head on if she wishes to preserve what little credibility she has left.

Wake me up when she starts going after Trump!

It should be easy to find out what she's said about him.

AOC Instagrammed Nicolas Heller on Instagram: “A preview of #BestNYAccent Finals 2021.” - "Best New York accent", showing Bernie Sanders with Cardi B. BS's accent is a New York one, though I couldn't place Cardi B's accent.

Sarah Corley on Twitter: ".@aminatou and @AOC for a digital @the_wing event?! Totally just what this Tuesday needed! ⚡💃🏻 #thewing https://t.co/mgFlEHSssg" / Twitter

Renee Bracey Sherman on Twitter: "Listening to @aminatou and @AOC talk about the response to Coronavirus, ..." / Twitter
Listening to @aminatou and @AOC talk about the response to Coronavirus, race and class inequities, mourning in this moment, and what justice should look like on @the_wing’s webinar actually has me feeling hopeful.

“Biden was wishy-washy on the Hyde Amendment…the people who inevitably have to be silent are often women and non-binary people and it often has to do with reproductive healthcare, and it has to do with race.” — @AOC on whose issues are forgotten when we can’t critique candidates.

It should be easy to find out what she's said about him.

AOC Instagrammed Nicolas Heller on Instagram: “A preview of #BestNYAccent Finals 2021.” - "Best New York accent", showing Bernie Sanders with Cardi B. BS's accent is a New York one, though I couldn't place Cardi B's accent.

Sarah Corley on Twitter: ".@aminatou and @AOC for a digital @the_wing event?! Totally just what this Tuesday needed! ⚡️???????????? #thewing https://t.co/mgFlEHSssg" / Twitter

Renee Bracey Sherman on Twitter: "Listening to @aminatou and @AOC talk about the response to Coronavirus, ..." / Twitter
Listening to @aminatou and @AOC talk about the response to Coronavirus, race and class inequities, mourning in this moment, and what justice should look like on @the_wing’s webinar actually has me feeling hopeful.

“Biden was wishy-washy on the Hyde Amendment…the people who inevitably have to be silent are often women and non-binary people and it often has to do with reproductive healthcare, and it has to do with race.” — @AOC on whose issues are forgotten when we can’t critique candidates.

My point is that she spends far more time attacking those slightly to her right rather than those radically to right.

The Wing on Twitter: ""The most impacted zip code in America due to Covid-19 is where 'What A Wonderful World' is written about." ..." / Twitter
"The most impacted zip code in America due to Covid-19 is where 'What A Wonderful World' is written about."
–– @AOC live right now with @aminatou discussing the current global health crisis and what's happening in Washington.

"We're not in the same boat. Same storm but we're in boats of different sizes." –– @aminatou on the disproportionate impact of Covid-19 on communities of color.

"My job is to push and push back against everyone. To push back against Republican Party and the Democratic Party. That makes people uncomfortable, but we’re just not where we need to be right now." ––– @AOC on her role in Washington.

"There is no perfect candidate. There is no one person that is completely flawless. It just doesn’t happen. But I think what it allows us to do is to push. Push whoever our democratic nominee could be to be better between now and the DNC." ––– @AOC

"It literally happened overnight, and then came this avalanche of vitriol and condescension. But it’s not new. If you’re a WOC, you’ve faced a lot of sexism & racism in your life. It’s taking it and making it x10." –– @AOC on her experience becoming a public facing congresswoman.

"Like any visible person, woman, woman of color, you just think about the people that are looking towards you as the first person they’ve seen like them doing x,y, and z. It’s a huge added weight that all of us have." ––– @AOC on what keeps her going.

"You’re so aware that your accomplishments are not yours. They belong to much larger communities that you are responsible to." ––– @AOC

"A couple days ago we were doing a watch party for @RuPaulsDragRace. I’m been a huge fan. The top I was wearing was a dress, and the bottom was just sweats." –– @AOC on her quarantine outfit secrets.

"I have a really hard time asking for help. I think what helps me sometimes, is framing it as communicating a boundary. I need 'this' in order to do 'that’. You aren’t helpless, you’re trying to get something you need." –– @AOC on asking for help.

"I had someone ask how I am doing in a real and genuine way. I just started crying. Did I know I was holding that? No! @AyannaPressley is so good at this. It makes me so mad." ––– @AOC on the importance of checking in on friends.

"@AyannaPressley will ask 'How are you?' and I'm like 'Good!'. Then she’s like 'No. How ARE you?'." ––– @AOC

Name a more iconic friendship, we'll wait 😭💖

Back from 2018 Jul 1: It’s 2018, and Female Candidates Are Tweeting About Lipstick. Is This Progress? | Glamour
Imagine, for a second, that you’re a candidate for the United States Congress with the following profile: female, 28, minority, with a resume that doesn’t include any elected positions but does include bartender. Your primary opponent, meanwhile, is male, 56, white, has three decades of experience, and isn’t only the incumbent but one of the most powerful figures in the Democratic party. It’s a challenge to even get him to show up to debate you (he sent a surrogate in his place during your first scheduled face-off), and when you finally get the chance to square off with him, a week before the election—right around the time polls begin to show that, wait a second, you might actually have a chance at winning this thing—you decide to seize the moment with an important tweet. About lipstick.
That tweet:
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "I have been getting many inquiries about my debate lip color in the last two days.
I GOT YOU.
It’s Stila “Stay All Day” Liquid in Beso. 💄 https://t.co/xhkxSXZXCO" / Twitter

Then about how women should be pretty but not too pretty.
Consider this exchange Hillary Clinton had in 2010 while speaking on a panel in Kyrgyzstan:

Moderator: Which designers do you prefer?

Hillary: [Awkward pause] What designers of clothes?

Moderator: Yes.

Hillary: Would you ever ask a man that question?

Moderator: [Really awkward pause] Probably not. Probably not.

[Resounding applause from the audience]

So it’s remarkable that here we are eight years later, and there’s a candidate—a young progressive candidate, no less—who’s not only fielding questions about her appearance but doing so voluntarily, with the enthusiasm of a genuine beauty junkie.

Antoine Tucker 🇺🇸 on Twitter: "Soon I’ll be making an announcement like I’m sure .@aoc will and I’ll be dealing with her soon enough she will have to debate me and I will expose her 💪🏾 Illuminati Puppets strings are getting cut! [url]https://t.co/etMsHpBDcK https://t.co/LwwF4Lx0I3" / Twitter[/url]
His campaign page: TUCKER FOR CONGRESS - "Antoine Tucker is on a mission to represent the people of NY14 and to defeat AOC’s globalist agenda."

He's running as a Republican.

OhMagaMan on Twitter: "With all the $ #Blexit & TPUSA has raised, what are they doing with it? Are they recruiting & funding young, innovative black conservative candidates to run for School Board & Legislature seats in Democrat strongholds? I’ve yet to see it.
Follow @montaga for straight talk https://t.co/Xt4Bm2eoIc" / Twitter

noting
Antoine Tucker 🇺🇸 on Twitter: "Candace owens straight talk https://t.co/azObuiDRW1" / Twitter
Objecting to Scherie Murray because her husband isn't an American citizen and asking why Candace Owens endorsed her.

Sweet Potato Soap on Twitter: "@montaga Candace endorsed cheri Marie wtf ...over @montaga wtf @RealCandaceO the first time I heard Marie speak I knew 1. She may be a citizen but she is a jamaican or wherever her people are from THAT is what she is. 2. Cheri Marie agrees with EVERYTHING Aoc is.. a communist" / Twitter

Let's see about Scherie Murray. Her campaign video: "Bridges" | Scherie Murray for Congress - YouTube - "There’s a crisis in Queens and it’s called AOC. She isn’t worried about us - she’s worried about being famous. That’s why I’m running for Congress."

Reminds me of "A spectre is haunting Europe – the spectre of communism" from Karl Marx's Communist Manifesto.

Candace Owens on Twitter: "This woman, @ScherieMurray, is running against @AOC for Congress and she has my full support.
It is time for New Yorkers to vote the aspiring actress who HATES America and HATES white people out of office.
AOC is a nasty representation for all women of color.
Vote Murray! https://t.co/54JF6Qcv7L" / Twitter

The Republican NY-14 primary race seems like a very fun one.

Just for the heck of it, I looked through Badrun Khan's tweets.

Badrun Khan on Twitter: "https://t.co/AtbblIQ3yX
It goes without saying this is reprehensible, but apparently it needs to be said. Trump & others calling CoVid19 the "Chinese virus" is another example of dangerous ignorance." / Twitter

Badrun Khan on Twitter: "In wars, we do our best to minimize casualties, but people die anyway. Our hospitals are working overtime to prevent #Covid19 deaths. New York needs more ventilators NOW.
Trump: I don't believe you really need that many ventilators [url]https://t.co/5vj7XxiS4C
via @politico" / Twitter[/url]

Badrun Khan on Twitter: "Funny how what allegedly began as a “Democratic hoax” according to Trump is now all of a sudden grounds for a claim to “total authority” 🤔 I am with @NYGovCuomo on this... “The constitution does not go out the window in an emergency.” #NewYork will decide when to reopen New York" / Twitter

Badrun Khan on Twitter: "The Trump administration is raising the cost of becoming a citizen or getting a green card by 83% as well as adding new “morality clauses”. This is just another tactic to stem new immigration and will negatively impact Latinos in particular. https://t.co/x74SWehJiA" / Twitter

Badrun Khan on Twitter: "As the nation sets up temporary #homeless shelters for the #COVID19 crisis, organizations that tackle #DomesticViolence face new challenges.
NYC 24-Hour Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-621-HOPE https://t.co/2mY6YtEIQ9" / Twitter

Badrun Khan on Twitter: "1 great way to show the power of the #FreedomDividend (#UBI) is Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs. Women (or men) in abusive relationships sometimes need help reaching the 2nd tier- whether it’s for a plane ticket far far away, a deposit towards an apartment, or simply a good lawyer. https://t.co/NO0yrfCj4J" / Twitter

She seems much like AOC. The two women going against each other would be interesting - they wouldn't have much by way of policy differences.

AOC raises whopping $2.7M so far in 2020, ahead of crowded primary | Fox News
From the Federal Election Commission's data, AOC raised $2.7M in Q1 2020, more than her haul of $2M in Q4 2019. She has raised nearly $8.2 million, and she has $3.5 million in the bank for her campaign.

POLITICO on Twitter: "Today, @AOC pushed for Joe Biden to shift leftward on four key policy issues in order earn the trust of his party's progressive wing — federal treatment of Puerto Rico, immigration, health care and climate change [url]https://t.co/c7tGOUBhtc https://t.co/6ajhfXKH27" / Twitter[/url]
noting
The remarks from the freshman lawmaker, while largely critical of Biden’s platform, seemed ultimately aimed at bridging intraparty divides through securing certain ideological concessions from the former vice president.
noting
Playbook Interview with Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) - POLITICO
Nice interview.

“There is a lot of Wall Street interest in unseating a member that holds Wall Street accountable,” Ocasio-Cortez said in an online interview with Politico. “Sometimes you are defined by your friends and sometimes you are defined by the people who come after you.”

"Right now, you know, my concern is just making sure that I'm taking care of everything that's right in front of me and just making sure that I earned the honor and the privilege of serving New York 14th Congressional District for another term," Ocasio-Cortez said when asked if she's considering a run against Schumer.
She was unwilling to look any further than that. "Honestly, this news cycle is so insane who knows where any of us are going to be in 2022." She also laughed off the possibility that she was wanting to primary Schumer.

AOC Says She Welcomes Chamber Support of Primary Challenger - Bloomberg
AOC doesn't rule out 2022 primary challenge against Schumer | Fox News

Her first election might be called "A New Hope", and her second one "The Empire Strikes Back".

Ryan Grim on Twitter: "Corporate raiders teaming up with the Chamber of Commerce to try to take out @AOC in a Democratic primary is capitalist self-parody https://t.co/kq6nXuT9wX" / Twitter
noting
Wall Street Titans Fund Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Challenger
Disclosures show that at least two dozen finance industry professionals, including several prominent private equity executives and investment bankers, made early donations to Michelle Caruso-Cabrera, a former CNBC contributor who is challenging Ocasio-Cortez. Caruso-Cabrera was a registered Republican until a few years ago and authored a 2010 book advocating for several conservative positions, including an end to Medicare and Social Security, which she called “pyramid schemes.”
The US Chamber of Commerce is another MCC supporter - it's funded by anonymous corporate donations - dark money.
Caruso-Cabrera does not have a policy page outlining her beliefs or positions on her campaign website. In recent radio interviews, she has positioned herself as a stalwart of the moderate faction of the Democratic Party, including Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Joe Biden. “I’m pro-choice, I’m pro-same sex marriage, I’m very pro-immigrant, I am centrist for sure,” Caruso-Cabrera said on New York’s AM 970.

But the candidate’s beliefs are explained in detail in a book she authored in 2010 titled, “You Know I’m Right: More Prosperity, Less Government,” which included a forward by Larry Kudlow, who now serves as President Donald Trump’s director of the National Economic Council.
She has an entire chapter on what she considers the Reagan Administration's successes. She denounced the Obama Administration's attempts to crack down on users of offshore tax havens, saying that it would encourage dictatorial governments to do likewise. “Freedom and democracy are best secured when banking secrecy and tax havens exist,” she claimed.

MCC's campaign responded:
The Caruso-Cabrera campaign sent a statement following publication. “MCC has said from the very beginning she got into this race to bring jobs and opportunity back to the working people of the Bronx and Queens. When she’s elected, her office will be ‘open for business.’ Now, more than ever we need jobs,” said spokesperson Katy Delgado.

I hope that AOC doesn't get too slow in campaigning. MCC is clearly a Republican who is posing as a Democrat.

Ryan Grim on Twitter: "Good thread from a progressive who's in the business world on the @aoc primary... https://t.co/jJhlLwPo9N" / Twitter
noting
Joe Sanberg on Twitter: "A Reagan praising, Obama criticizing TV pundit is challenging @AOC in a primary on the issue of “jobs” - ..." / Twitter
A Reagan praising, Obama criticizing TV pundit is challenging @AOC in a primary on the issue of “jobs” - As a businessperson & entrepreneur who works in our economy & creates jobs, I can testify that @AOC is a million times better than her opponent for jobs and good wages. (1/8)

Look at @AOC’s agenda. The pandemic has made clear that our for-profit healthcare system is a mess & leaves millions behind. I also know firsthand that many businesses struggle with figuring out how to provide healthcare to employees. Under #MedicareForAll, we *all* win. (2/8)

In fact, @AOC’s primary opponent is a former Republican who wants to end Medicare, and called it a Ponzi scheme. In what world would ending Medicare be a strategy for jump-starting the economy? We need #Medicare4All not Medicare for None. (3/8)

Then there’s student debt. Anyone who understands the economy knows this $1.6 trillion could be used to buy homes or cars, start families, go to restaurants (actually enter the economy). As an entrepreneur, @AOC’s plan to cancel student debt is rocket fuel for job creation. (4/8)

There’s also the Green New Deal. Not only would it rapidly cut planet-warming gas emissions, but would guarantee thousands of new high-paying jobs in green industries. This is exactly the kind of proposal entrepreneurs like me flock to for the moral & economic benefits. (5/8)

Now, obviously @AOC’s politics don’t work for everyone in business. If your sole agenda is to cut corporate taxes or income tax for high earners, rather than an agenda that places workers first... then yes, you should probably find another candidate. (6/8)

And that explains what this primary “challenge” is really about. As this article👇 explains, the candidacy is being funded & encouraged by billionaires who don’t even live in the district. (7/8)

It’s fine for someone to run against @AOC or anyone else. But let’s be real about the debate. One candidate’s an extremist TV host, who wants to end Medicare. The other’s a true representative fighting for jobs & her constituents. Rarely is a choice so clear. (8/8)
Great.

Seems like AOC could repeat what she said about Joe Crowley: "This race is about people versus money. We’ve got people, they’ve got money. It’s time we acknowledge that not all Democrats are the same. That a Democrat who takes corporate money, profits off foreclosure, doesn’t live here, doesn’t send his kids to our schools, doesn’t drink our water or breathe our air, cannot possibly represent us." - Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez The Courage To Change | LYBIO.NET Discover New Reading Content.

Back
Top Bottom