• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

What’s So ‘Disruptive’ About AOC Standing Up for Herself? - about her House speech criticizing Rep. Yoho for his nasty language.
After Yoho’s outburst was reported in the Hill, he had offered up a floor speech purported to be apology, though it was actually far closer to pallid self-justification. “Having been married for 45 years with two daughters, I’m very cognizant of my language,” Yoho had said, in a speech in which he did not mention Ocasio-Cortez’s name, and in which he nonsensically refused to “apologize for my passion, or for loving my God, my family, and my country.”

“You can have daughters and accost women without remorse,” Ocasio-Cortez said. “You can … project an image to the world of being a family man and accost women without remorse and with a sense of impunity. It happens every day in this country.”

The electric speech gave ringing voice to the experiences, frustrations, and anger of millions of women and men who have had their days, lives, and realities shaped by often abusive, sometimes vulgar expressions of patriarchal power. Among Ocasio-Cortez’s talents as a politician is her ability to connect and communicate clearly, intellectually, and emotionally, with masses of people; the speech she gave on Thursday put those talents on full display, and she was widely praised for it.
To me, it seems like Rep. Yoho is very unwilling to state that he has done anything wrong here. He didn't say anything like "I'm sorry that I lost my head over this issue. I hope that I can have more self-control in the future."

Mark Harris on Twitter: "The NYT, which would not use the words when Ted Yoho spoke them, uses them tonight to quote @AOC--and it describes HER behavior, not his, as "disruptive" and a "norm-shattering moment," one that it implies is about "amplifying her own brand."
JFC. https://t.co/8LR7DV3uc0" / Twitter

then
Dr. Ann Olivarius on Twitter: "IF @AOC were a man, she'd be covered like young Obama. She is a visionary politician, an inspiring orator and a sharp tactician.
Instead we get "building her own brand". Women are invariably described with the lower-status version of their skills.
@wordspinster @rtraister" / Twitter

AOC seems much like what many of Obama's supporters wanted him to be.

Also, none of Rep. Yoho's detractors say about him that he should go back to being a cow doctor. Though he did primary a 12-term incumbent back in 2012, Cliff Stearns.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Full Response to Rep. Ted Yoho | NowThis - YouTube

The Tight Rope | SpkerBox Media - "The Tight Rope is a weekly podcast where we take time to welcome listeners and guests as thought collaborators with our revered hosts, public intellectuals Dr. Cornel West and Professor Tricia Rose."

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Is Not Understood For Who She Really Is - YouTube
In this premiere episode of The Tight Rope, Dr. Cornel West and Professor Tricia Rose ask their esteemed guest Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (AOC) the right questions for her to share powerfully about her journey, politics, and thoughts on social justice in an electoral framework, the discipline of non-attachment, and intentional vulnerability. Together they “pull the curtain” on power and explore what it will take to heal our nation. Find out how AOC walks the tight rope of being authentic and “acceptable” along with a special segment on defunding the police during Office Hours in this episode of The Tight Rope.

As we all navigate the balance between hope and uncertainty, we invite you to join Cornel West & Tricia Rose on The Tight Rope, a weekly podcast where we take time to welcome listeners and guests as thought collaborators with our revered hosts, public intellectuals Dr. Cornel West and Professor Tricia Rose.

The Tight Rope is rich in creative, unfiltered dialogue on topics ranging from pop culture, art and music, to the contours of systemic racism, philosophy, the power of Socratic self-examination, and the possibilities of a peaceful and just world. The program highlights the professors’ combined expertise to encourage critical thinking, self-reflection, and human connection as we navigate The Tight Rope.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) Responds to Rep. Ted Yoho (R-FL) - YouTube - from C-SPAN, her speech

Carefully crafting the Barack Obama 'brand' - Chicago Tribune
Yet even in those early days, Obama and his advisers were thinking ahead. Some called it the "2010-2012-2016" plan: a potential bid for governor or re-election to the Senate in 2010, followed by a bid for the White House as soon as 2012 or, if not, 2016. The way to get there, they decided, was by carefully building a record that matched the brand identity: Obama as unifier and consensus-builder, an almost postpolitical leader.

The plan they hatched focused on concrete, achievable goals that included delivering for Illinois, fitting in at the Senate and developing cross-party alliances while avoiding the limelight.

They would schedule Obama on trips that traversed two-lane country roads throughout Illinois. He would do his duty raising money for fellow Democratic senators during the "Power Hour," a regular telephone fundraising commitment set up by party leaders. And he would sit through lengthy committee hearings to wait his last-place turn as the most junior member to ask a question.

First and foremost, the Obama team placed a high premium on working well with others.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Delivers a Lesson in Decency on the House Floor | The New Yorker
One could be forgiven for thinking that rhetorical dynamism long ago vanished from the hallways and chambers of the United States Congress. It has been a hundred and sixty-four years, for example, since Charles Sumner, the anti-slavery Republican from Massachusetts, rose in the humid air of the Old Senate Chamber to unleash a five-hour, fully memorized onslaught against the idea of Kansas joining the Union as a slave state. Along the way, Sumner paused to lash two of his Senate colleagues, calling Stephen Douglas, of Illinois, a “noisome, squat, and nameless animal,” and accusing Andrew Butler, of South Carolina, of taking up with a “polluted” mistress—“I mean the harlot, Slavery.” You can still hear such acidic flourishes in other legislatures around the globe, but the language of the U.S. Congress is rarely so vivid. Generally, it is as flavorless as day-old gum.

On Wednesday, once the news of the encounter had circulated, Yoho delivered a statement that could best be described as the sort of non-apology apology that begins, “I am sorry if you understood me to be saying. . . .” ...

But his remorse was, at best, confined. “No one was accosted, bullied, or attacked,” he went on. “This was a brief policy discussion, plain and simple, and we have our differences. . . . The fact still remains, I am not going to apologize for something I didn’t say.” ...

In all, Yoho’s was at best a deflective, jittery performance that was in no wise enhanced by his spokesman, Brian Kaveney, who e-mailed the Washington Post to say that Yoho “did not call Rep. Ocasio-Cortez what has been reported in the Hill or any name for that matter. . . . Instead, he made a brief comment to himself as he walked away summarizing what he believes her policies to be: bulls---.”

... Her ability to skewer a balky witness in committee hearings has proved as uncanny as it is entertaining. ... Her speech, which was then echoed by other colleagues from the Democratic caucus, was not in the Charles Sumner category in either length or style—she favored righteous sincerity where Sumner employed florid invective—but the devastation was of a similar scale. The sporting equivalent might be Billie Jean King’s measured yet unmistakable destruction of Bobby Riggs. The video of Ocasio-Cortez’s speech is available online, of course; it should be studied for its measured cadence, its artful construction, and its refusal of ugliness.
This is the same Charles Sumner who suffered this:  Caning of Charles Sumner
The Caning of Charles Sumner, or the Brooks–Sumner Affair, occurred on May 22, 1856, in the United States Senate, when Representative Preston Brooks, a pro-slavery Democrat from South Carolina, used a walking cane to attack Senator Charles Sumner, an abolitionist Republican from Massachusetts, in retaliation for a speech given by Sumner two days earlier in which he fiercely criticized slaveholders, including a relative of Brooks. The beating nearly killed Sumner and it contributed significantly to the country's polarization over the issue of slavery. It has been considered symbolic of the "breakdown of reasoned discourse"[1] and the use of violence that eventually led to the Civil War.

Howard Dean, former governor of Vermont and Presidential candidate:
Howard Dean on Twitter: "I am now convinced that AOC has what it takes to run for president and to be President." / Twitter -- about that speech.

Back to Cornel West and Tricia Rose's interview of AOC. Another great interview of her, and she is very thoughtful yet again.

On religion, AOC was raised a Catholic, and a rather studious one: First Communion, Confirmation, the works. But for summers, she was sent to some relatives in Puerto Rico, and they took her to Pentecostal services in churches up in the mountains. Those were wild.

AOC describes her upbringing as being between worlds: the Bronx vs. Yorktown Heights, city vs. suburb, lower middle class vs. upper middle class -- and Catholicism vs. Pentecostalism.

But her father also had books on other religions, like a Hindu book, the Bhagavad Gita. She viewed different religions and sects as different ways of finding God and love and peace and humanity.

She felt close to her father, and when he died, she felt very lonely. So she decided to be in solitude for real, and that involved going to Niger to do some maternal health work. She had some harrowing experiences there, like someone's stillbirth, a baby born dead. But she was impressed with what a sense of community the Nigerien women seemed to have, getting together in evenings and drinking tea and listening to music. For giving birth, it was the midwives' territory, with ob/gyn doctors called in only as needed.

AOC had originally wanted to be a doctor, likely an ob/gyn, but she decided to get into public health, and she decided to major in economics so that she could be better prepared to make policy. Instead of helping one person at a time, she could help a large number of people at a time. She liked system-level thinking and putting numbers on things, but she'd also be telling a story. I must say that I like math.

She's lived her life like a metal detector, and things to do often seem revealed to her.

At Boston University, she was at the Howard Thurman Center for Common Ground, inspired by that activist who was a mentor for Martin Luther King, Jr. They'd do things like read poetry there, like by Nikki Giovanni.

AOC's family was long interested in politics, even if not active in politics. In college, she phonebanked for Barack Obama. She didn't like his extension of the Bush tax cuts. Obamacare was good, but why a lot of eligibility conditions?

She didn't think that electoral politics was a very feasible career path for her, with always having to seem perfect. She elsewhere said that she didn't think that she had either the money or the connections for that.

She tends to be rather blunt in what she says, and she likes to challenge commonly-accepted premises, like how capitalism is super great, at least from what she means by capitalism.

She also didn't like how big-money lobbies financed both parties, lobbies like the Goldman Sachs investment bank. The US has a big Gini inequality index, one that is big by industrialized-nation standards, and one that's comparable to Latin American oligarchies. I checked on  Gini coefficient, and that is indeed correct.

After college, she went back to the Bronx, and she worked on some educational projects, like for the National Hispanic Institute. But she wasn't paid very much, so she became a waitress and a bartender. Sometimes she could return home with $200 or so in tips, sometimes much less, like $40. Backbreaking work with no medical insurance. She worked with a lot of undocumented/illegal immigrants. She felt like a failure for a long time. She rejected the notion that a low economic condition is always one's fault, that one was lazy or whatever. She notes that blacks and Hispanics are, on average, significantly worse off than white people. I note that people who claim such things tend to reject such claims when it comes to their miseries -- it's always other people who are lazy and irresponsible, especially sorts of people that they dislike.

Asked about spiritual practices, AOC responded nonattachment. That's a Buddhist sort of thing, from that belief system's Four Noble Truths:
  1. Our lives have lots of suffering
  2. Suffering is caused by irrational craving
  3. End craving, and one will end suffering
  4. One can end craving by doing the Eightfold Way of things to do
She talked about nonattachment to her Congressional seat and nonattachment to the sorts of powerful people that she is involved with. She said that that is crucial for her career, that it enables her to take risks, like visiting the Sunrise Movement sit-in at Nancy Pelosi's office in late 2018. She spoke to those activists the night before, along with Rashida Tlaib. But Rep. Tlaib chickened out of that sit-in.

She describes herself as on a mission to help build a better world. Even if that means risking a primary challenge for something she does. Which she got, though she defeated it.

AOC represents the future of America: women who refuse to be silenced | Arwa Mahdawi | Opinion | The Guardian
Some media reports characterized Yoho’s sneering speech as an “apology”. It very clearly wasn’t: it was an assertion of power that followed a familiar pattern. First came the gaslighting, the insistence his behaviour had been “misconstrued.” Then came the self-righteous justification. “I cannot apologize for my passion,” he declared with a smirk on his face. The subtext to his little speech: What are you going to do?
I agree with that. It didn't seem like an apology to me. He didn't seem very embarrassed about getting overheated or by making personal attacks.
It wasn’t just the content of Ocasio-Cortez’s speech that was powerful, it was the way she delivered it. There was a carefully controlled fury in her voice that every woman will be familiar with. “I cannot apologize for my passion,” Yoho declared; as a man he doesn’t have to. When Brett Kavanaugh threw a temper tantrum in front of the Senate judiciary committee, Donald Trump Jr praised his “tone.” Men like Kavanaugh and Yoho are not penalized for their “passion”; they’re not penalized for showing their emotion. Women are. Show too much emotion and you’re “hysterical”, you’re “crazy”, you’re a “nasty woman”. And so you learn to control your fury, to modulate your emotion. You learn to apologize for your passion.
AOC reveals new details about Ted Yoho incident - CNNPolitics
"If he wants to continue to lie, that's his business," Ocasio-Cortez told CNN Friday.

Yoho erupted at her instantly and kept "escalating the situation," she said.

"Do you really believe that people are shooting and killing each other because they're hungry? You know, You're unbelievable. You're disgusting," Yoho said, according to Ocasio-Cortez, saying the Florida conservative was wagging his finger at her.

Ocasio-Cortez then said she "tried to calm him down, but he wouldn't."

"And then I just told him he was being rude and he got even more angry, when I called him rude," she said.

Williams, meantime, was first watching Yoho and then Williams "literally started hollering about throwing urine," Ocasio-Cortez said Friday.

"He started talking about throwing urine," she said. "I don't know what he was talking about. I think he was maybe talking about an incident at some protest somewhere that I don't know about. But he started talking about throwing urine and at that point, I was so bewildered. I was like, these folks are out of their minds."

She added, "He was walking down the steps with Yoho, shoulder to shoulder. And at this point, they were just yelling at the world," referring to the two men.

The fact that Rep. Williams is denying that he had even said it and then told a reporter right afterward that he was thinking about issues in his district is quite laughable," she said. "And it just speaks to a lack of integrity that not only he had in that moment, but lack of integrity that he continues to have by simply not just owning up and saying, 'Listen, this was a lapse of judgment. I'm sorry. I should have said something. Or I'm sorry for what my colleague did.'"

Ocasio-Cortez said Friday they "think their little man card will be taken away if they apologize for their absurd behavior."
AOC also said that it wasn't an accusation she was making, and what Rep. Yoho did was not a conversation.

AOC's viral speech hits home for many other women in politics and business
Rep. Rashida Tlaib:
“Violence against women in politics specifically is a global problem,” Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-MI) said on the House floor following Ocasio-Cortez’s speech. “I know. I would invite any of my colleagues across the aisle to answer the calls into my office for just one day to hear the vile sexist remarks made about me and other women serving in this chamber.”
Rep. Ilhan Omar:
“In this body, we have seen men who are afraid of Muslim women like me and Rashida Tlaib because we say proudly that you cannot ban us from this country because we pray differently than you,” she said.

In a separate news conference, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi weighed in on her experiences with sexism in politics saying, “It’s a manifestation of attitude in our society really. I can tell you that firsthand, they’ve called me names for at least...18 years of leadership.”
She recalled some Republican politician stating “Nancy Pelosi thinks she knows more about having babies than the Pope.” even though she has five children.
“There’s no limit to the disrespect or the lack of acknowledgement of the strength of women,” she said, while adding that nothing will be more “wholesome for our government” than the increased participation of women in politics.

'She’s the anti-Trump': AOC's anti-misogyny speech praised by US politicians and celebrities | The Independent
Actress Olivia Wilde, meanwhile, said “This speech is fierce and true. Please rise for AOC”.

“I am so sick of men using their daughters as evidence of their empathy for women,” added Ms Wilde on Twitter. “I don’t care if you have a daughter or a pet turtle.”
Kamala Harris:
“Sexism permeates our culture—and members of Congress are not immune,” wrote Ms Harris on Twitter. “Thank you AOC for that powerful speech and for speaking out about abusive behavior that women and girls across our country endure every day. We cannot be silent.”

A.O.C. Speech Unleashes Condemnation of Sexism in Congress - The New York Times
Representative Pramila Jayapal, Democrat of Washington, recounted how a male Republican lawmaker had once lashed out at her during a debate on the House floor, sternly calling Ms. Jayapal, 54, a “young lady” and saying that she did not “know a damn thing” about what she was talking about. Ms. Jayapal did not name the lawmaker, but she was referring to Representative Don Young, Republican of Alaska, whose insults of Ms. Jayapal were captured on video in a 2017 incident that was widely reported at the time.

Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Democrat of Florida and the former chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee, recounted her own experiences as a “20-something lawmaker” in Florida’s statehouse and again as a member of Congress in her 30s.

“Few women here watching have not felt a man’s bullying breath or menacing finger in our face as we were told exactly where our place was at work,” Ms. Wasserman Schultz said.

AOC’s speech about Ted Yoho’s ‘apology’ was a comeback for the ages - The Washington Post
The first-term New York representative has repeatedly shown herself to be a talented writer and public speaker, on subjects of poverty, classism and inequality. On the subject of misogyny at least, her Thursday address was the speech of a lifetime.

She addressed the pervasive and ludicrous concept that sexist men listing their female family members is an ironclad defense against charges of sexism — as if Harvey Weinstein, Bill Clinton and Donald Trump haven’t had wives and daughters.

It is worth noting that while Ocasio-Cortez lays all of this out, she does so in a tone of voice that never veers above mild irritation. In her floor speech, which totals about 10 minutes, she never raises her voice or resorts to calling names. She is exactly as measured as women are always expected to be, and as men are always assumed to be. And she made it clear that, to her, none of this was personal.
Rep. Ted Yoho removed from board of Christian charity over his comments about Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez - The Washington Post
Bread for the World announced Yoho’s resignation in a statement on Saturday, saying that his “recent actions and words as reported in the media are not reflective of the ethical standards expected of members of our Board of Directors.”

Lynda Carter on Twitter: "Okay, seeing this last night totally made my birthday that much sweeter. Love your decor, @AOC! Never stop being fierce and brave. 💫 https://t.co/zlssiokhlS" / Twitter
then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "@RealLyndaCarter Thank you for being a shining example of a woman’s strength! Happy birthday ✨" / Twitter

Ed Markey on Twitter: "This is the moment @AOC and I first met—October 1, 2018, at a rally protesting the confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court. She had just won her primary in June and five months later we would introduce the Green New Deal together. https://t.co/vTzuSLytKA" / Twitter

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "After her remarks on Rep. Yoho, @RepAOC was joined on the House Floor by over a dozen colleagues who shared their experiences with sexism and called for change. Watch the full, inspiring hour of remarks from @Ilhan, @RepRashida, @RepPressley and more here: https://t.co/GaEEl5Qnkc" / Twitter
noting
Rep. Ocasio-Cortez and Colleagues Address Rep. Yoho's Verbal Assault - YouTube
On July 23, Rep. Ocasio-Cortez delivered remarks on the floor addressing sexism and Rep. Yoho's verbal assaults of her on the Capitol Steps. She was joined by Reps. Ilhan Omar, Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Lori Trahan, Mark Pocan, Rashida Tlaib, Ayanna Pressley, Pramila Jayapal, Jackie Speier, Brenda L. Lawrence, Judy Chu, Mikie Sherrill, Deb Haaland, Al Green, and Katherine Clark. Their full remarks are available here.

Misogyny. Airhead must've heard about Juliar Gizzard's misogyny's speech in the Australian Parliament.
Julia Gillard? Her  Misogyny Speech?

What's so horrible about her? That's she's on the wrong side from you?

Don't be ridiculous. It's because SKY News told him so.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser [ Socrates ] Not that I consider being accused of watching Sky News as slander. The same as I don't slander people who read the NYT or watch ABC news. It's why thousands if not millions of allies died defending Democracy and freedom to choose.

Misogyny. Airhead must've heard about Juliar Gizzard's misogyny's speech in the Australian Parliament.
Julia Gillard? Her  Misogyny Speech?

What's so horrible about her? That's she's on the wrong side from you?

She blatantly used her sex to deflect criticism [ and there was much to criticise ] from her incompetent leadership and a dis- functioning rabble of a government.

AOC Beats Republican Plant Michelle Caruso-Cabrera in Democratic Primary - Welcome2TheBronx™ - June 24
During the COVID-19 pandemic caused by the coronavirus, AOC has fed thousands of Bronx families through food deliveries to the most vulnerable in her district with the help of volunteers and local organizations like Loving The Bronx.

She has held many townhall meetings in our borough, is constantly seen by locals near her home in Parkchester or grabbing a bite at a local spot.

For someone who is supposedly absent from her district she sure is spotted quite frequently there.
Contrary to MCC's claims about her.

Still no word on the absentee ballots of her district. I want to know if AOC clobbered MCC as badly in those as she did in in-person votes. But MCC has not conceded, and she's running in the Serve America Movement party.

Tiffany Vazquez 🇵🇷 on Twitter: "@AOC just raised over 40k and counting for undocumented workers through @NYSYLC on IG live. This woman gets more done in 30 minutes than most of Washington does in years." / Twitter
then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Everyone who just donated $1 or more during my IG livestream just now has officially just done more for essential workers who are undocumented than Mitch McConnell has all year.
We hit over $60k for @NYSYLC tonight! Thank you! 😌" / Twitter

Josh Zembik on Twitter: ".@AOC just now in an Instagram live: “you all know that SpongeBob meme - the one where Squidward is at the window and they’re having fun outside? That’s us looking at the rest of the world [because of our COVID response]” https://t.co/L1KyqIST0d" / Twitter

Mike P Williams on Twitter: "So, @AOC just took to Instagram and raised $50,000 for immigrant families who've been frozen out of government help. Incredible. https://t.co/bzdWmdAALM" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Instagram: “I want to thank everyone…”
She showed a picture of the notes that she took as she prepared her speech.
I want to thank everyone for your immense outpouring of personal stories and support for one another after last week’s speech on the violence of misogyny and abuse of power in the workplace. I figured I’d share some behind-the-scenes details of what went into that moment.
Many have asked me if my speech was pre-written. The answer is no. But in some ways, yes. Yes because this speech was a recounting of thoughts that so many women and femme people have carried since the time we were children. It flowed because every single one of us has lived this silent script: stay silent (why?), keep your head down (for whom?), suck it up (to whose benefit?). But my chosen words were largely extemporaneous. I got to the House floor about ten minutes before my speech and scribbled down some quick notes after reflecting on what had transpired over the last few days. Pictured here are all the notes I had, and from there I improvised my composition and spoke live.
The evening before my speech, I did not know what I was going to say. I wrestled with this question: what is there to say to a man who isn’t listening? I couldn’t come up with much, because frankly I didn’t want to diminish myself or waste my breath. It was then that I decided if I couldn’t get through to this him, perhaps I could speak directly to the culture, people, and institutions responsible for creating and protecting this violence and violent language.
I also reflected on MY role in all of this - to me, this speech was about holding myself accountable as much as anyone else. Because my first instinct was to let it go. It was my second instinct, too. It was only when sisters like @ayannapressley, @rashidatlaib, @repilhan and friends like @repraskin reminded me how unacceptable this all was that I started to think about what I would have done if this abuse happened to any other person BUT me. That is when I found my voice. Why is it okay to swallow our own abuse, yet stand up for others? I needed to learn that by standing up for ourselves, we break the chain of abuse and stand up for every person after us who would have been subject to more of the same with lack of accountability.
So rise.

AOC is the future of the Catholic Church | National Catholic Reporter
As I listened to her 10-minute address on the House floor, I was struck by how often it referenced Catholic values.

Ocasio-Cortez repeatedly railed against the "dehumanizing" of others and instead called for treating people with dignity and respect. These are themes often repeated by Pope Francis, who has specifically cautioned about gossip and urged the use of respectful language, saying "it is possible to kill someone with the tongue."

As a young Latina, Ocasio-Cortez represents the demographic future of the Catholic Church.

But — if there is to be a future for the Catholic Church in the United States — it must also resemble Ocasio-Cortez in her passion for justice and human dignity, and in her courage and integrity, even in the face of vulgar attacks.
Except that she seems more "spiritual but not religious" than anything else -- she'd make a good Unitarian Universalist, I think.

Joyce Louis-Jean🇭🇹 on Instagram: “Immigration is a Black issue

I grew up watching my parents who immigrated from Haiti always stand up for what they believed in. So today I want to talk about how every shitty thing that happens in the immigration system is even shittier for Black immigrants, no matter what country they come from. Immigration is a Black issue.
Learn more about what’s happening right now by following @raicestexas and @haitianbridge.”

Fierce by mitú on Instagram: “@aoc:

“I am here because I have to show my parents that I am their daughter and that they did not raise me to accept abuse from men.” Thank you, @AOC for showing us that we *do not* have to accept abusive language from men. We cannot continue to legitimize verbal abuse from men toward women. Our hijas, our nieces, our primitas are watching and we cannot stay silent and normalize this behavior. Watch this video. Write down her quotes. Repeat her quotes. Break the cycle of verbal abuse toward women. ✊🏽 // 🎥: @cspan”

With video of AOC's House-floor speech.

The Betches Sup on Instagram: “Swipe right to watch portions of her incredible speech on the House floor today -- we’ll include a swipe up to the extended version with this post in our Stories

Shannon Downey on Instagram: “If you haven’t listened to the speech @repaoc gave today in response to @reptedyoho calling her a “fucking bitch” among other things, I highly recommend stopping what you are doing and going to listen to it. It is important and powerful. Thank you @aoc for addressing it. #aoc #yoho #feminist #feminism #misogyny #patriarchy #craftivism #craftivist”
"My parents did not raise me to accept abuse from men"

Back
Top Bottom