• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Alien Megastructure... or just something we haven't thought of yet?

At least that is what creationists tell us.

OK, I won't disagree.

But speculation of an alien built structure is nothing more than an improbable and wild guess based on absolutely nothing.

On the contrary; it is an improbable and wild guess based on very little. Which is not the same thing at all.

OK, I won't disagree.

But speculation of an alien built structure is nothing more than an improbable and wild guess based on absolutely nothing.

On the contrary; it is an improbable and wild guess based on very little. Which is not the same thing at all.

There is nothing to lead one in that direction.

It is like saying the sunset is evidence of the gods.

At least that is what creationists tell us.

OK, I won't disagree.

Each of the possibilities mentioned are nothing more than improbable guesses based on the light curves observed - some more improbable than others. When faced with data that is mysterious and unexplainable it is damned poor science to eliminate any possibility, regardless of how improbable, until there is some evidence that it should be eliminated. I don't think anyone looking at the data thinks it is an alien project (well maybe the SETI folks) but the possibility can't just be ignored just because they think it is damned unlikely.

OK, I won't disagree.

Each of the possibilities mentioned are nothing more than improbable guesses based on the light curves observed - some more improbable than others. When faced with data that is mysterious and unexplainable it is damned poor science to eliminate any possibility, regardless of how improbable, until there is some evidence that it should be eliminated. I don't think anyone looking at the data thinks it is an alien project (well maybe the SETI folks) but the possibility can't just be ignored just because they think it is damned unlikely.

All it is is an anomaly. Nothing more.

To try to turn an anomaly into something built by some alien being is like, as said, trying to turn the sunset into a product of the gods.

But I doubt there is one real scientist that thinks, based on this evidence, aliens are involved.

A real scientist would never make such a leap.

You certainly would have no future in science. That response is worthless unless it can be demonstrated to be an anomaly. An impossibility since repeated observations show the strange light curves are seen for all observations, so real.

But then maybe you don't understand the meaning of anomaly. The first data could be called an anomaly but not follow up observations.

You certainly would have no future in science. That response is worthless unless it can be demonstrated to be an anomaly. An impossibility since repeated observations show the strange light curves are seen for all observations, so real.

But then maybe you don't understand the meaning of anomaly. The first data could be called an anomaly but not follow up observations.

Anomaly - 1. something that deviates from what is standard, normal, or expected.

Perhaps you don't understand the word.

Anomalies are the most important thing possible in science. The observation of "that's odd" is the best way to move us in new directions.

It might be a natural occurrence which will give us new information about the universe or it might be aliens - but it's definitely aliens.

Anomalies are the most important thing possible in science. The observation of "that's odd" is the best way to move us in new directions.

It might be a natural occurrence which will give us new information about the universe or it might be aliens - but it's definitely aliens.

Nobody was knocking anomalies.

It takes a very high level of training and experience to even know when something is an anomaly.

And in trying to explain anomalies many times new knowledge is found.

But to go from anomaly to alien is a wide leap.

It takes a very high level of training and experience to even know when something is an anomaly.

Were you born without a sense of humour; or did you lose it in a tragic accident?

Just damned, It can't possibly be anything but aliens. :eek:

Show that it isn't aliens. I'm beginning to think that you are an alien trying to keep science from discovering your home world.

Were you born without a sense of humour; or did you lose it in a tragic accident?

So I didn't respond the way you think I should have?

Good.

So I didn't respond the way you think I should have?

Good.

You didn't respond the way a human would have. I reckon skepticalbip is right; you are an alien trying to keep science from discovering your home world.

Just damned, It can't possibly be anything but aliens. :eek:

Show that it isn't aliens. I'm beginning to think that you are an alien trying to keep science from discovering your home world.

We do get the internet from out here.

People, the situation really requires that we stop fighting amongst ourselves. If humanity is fractured and divided, we're just easier meat for these aliens when they arrive. Only be working together can we defeat their planet-destroying armada with the power of friendship.

Only be working together can we defeat their planet-destroying armada with the power of friendship.
You guys hear that? He said "Only be working together" instead of "Only by working together". Rookie mistake. That's how the alien spies give themselves away. We've got to be eternally vigilant for just that sort of slip-up.

As for this one, you know what to do.

Only be working together can we defeat their planet-destroying armada with the power of friendship.
You guys hear that? He said "Only be working together" instead of "Only by working together". Rookie mistake. That's how the alien spies give themselves away. We've got to be eternally vigilant for just that sort of slip-up.

As for this one, you know what to do.

Curses. Now my sinister plan of having you weak and pathetic humans waste time trying to harness the power of friendship instead of building giant lasers on the moon has failed.

My species will now be forced to go with our backup plan of firing a singularity bomb at you from outside of the solar system and creating a black hold at the center of the Earth which will cause the planet to implode, killing you all instantaneously. Sure, that's still a pretty effective plan, but it would have been funny to watch you all try and harness the power of friendship to defeat us. Oh well, maybe I'll have better luck on Betagon 7.

How can we serve you?

We go well with potatoes. Well, everyone except for Dan Quayle. Probably should keep him away from tomatoes as well.

Curses. Now my sinister plan of having you weak and pathetic humans waste time trying to harness the power of friendship instead of building giant lasers on the moon has failed.

My species will now be forced to go with our backup plan of firing a singularity bomb at you from outside of the solar system and creating a black hold at the center of the Earth which will cause the planet to implode, killing you all instantaneously. Sure, that's still a pretty effective plan, but it would have been funny to watch you all try and harness the power of friendship to defeat us. Oh well, maybe I'll have better luck on Betagon 7.

A black hold? One of these is going to destroy the earth?

4b1149f87fce94d78e28a63bfd207630.jpg

Wait, are you saying P.J. Black is an alien too? You're right, that is kind of scary.

Anomaly - 1. something that deviates from what is standard, normal, or expected.

Perhaps you don't understand the word.
Right now, they can't explain it, and it could be a significant anomaly for future use. IE, they can't explain this being the data or typically understood mechanics. Therefore, something new will likely come from this. Whether it turns out to be an alien mega wearhouse where pants are always 1/2 off or some other effect it to be determined.

Back
Top Bottom