• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

And Now, The Missouri Lt. Gov. on the Topic of Justice.

The term he used was Anglo-American Civilization. IE white America.
Wrong. The term he used was "Anglo-American jurisprudence tradition". I.e. American legal system based on English Common Law.

Wrong. He used both.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/...ican-justice-in-ferguson-not-racial-protests/

“We do not do justice in America in the streets though,” he argued. “We have legal processes that are set in motion, that are designed after centuries of Anglo-American jurisprudence tradition, they’re designed to protect the rights and liberties of everyone involved.”

. . .

“That’s one of the great advances of Anglo-American civilization, is that that we do not have politicized trials. We let the justice system work it out.”

Our system of jurisprudence has been referred to Anglo-American how regularly in common parlance over the last Two centuries? How often?

This is the first time I have read it phrased so.

Generally speaking, I have always heard American jurisprudence. Why add the Anglo and why now?

At a time when a town in his state is in the throes of racial turmoil not seen since the 1960s the LT. GOV., deliberately uses a terminology that was bound to make matters worse. He had a point but he lost it in the rhetoric he chose.

Or maybe that was his point...

A Lt. governor is an adolescent politician epically in MO. It's probably the easiest state wide race to win. The Secretary of State has a higher profile. These guys don't have speech writers and they don't send all their shit to focus groups before presenting it to the public. He made a good description and it was accurate. It's like people are trying to be offended.

Apparently so. :eek:

Who the fuck uses the term "Anglo-American"?
People with a knowledge of law and legal terms. Like Lt Governors.
Why use the term? "Our Civilization" or "Our nation" would have worked. Typically it is best to speak in a language that your audience will be familiar with.

Regardless, it is a non-issue and I'm all :eek: out.

- - - Updated - - -

A Lt. governor is an adolescent politician epically in MO. It's probably the easiest state wide race to win. The Secretary of State has a higher profile. These guys don't have speech writers and they don't send all their shit to focus groups before presenting it to the public. He made a good description and it was accurate. It's like people are trying to be offended.
Not really, it was a term that isn't commonly used. Sue me for fuck sakes!

You really think Kinder sat down and thought, how can I piss off black people? I know, I'll use the phrase "anglo american".

You really think Kinder sat down and thought, how can I piss off black people? I know, I'll use the phrase "anglo american".
No. He just used an obscure term while eating mutton. I apologize for not knowing about the term "Anglo-American".

Given how many other non-divisive ways to say this exist, choosing this way of saying it was kinda stoopid. I think that's the point of the OP and I agree with that.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope. What I think is that Kinder FAILED to sit down and think, "How can I avoid pissing off the people in this conflict?" And he shoulda sat down and thought about that, given that it's a raging conflict at the moment.

Probably not. But that his mindset immediately went to phrases associated with white america is a little telling.

oh,I don't think he had to think about it at all. I think it came naturally to him.

I think he spends a good deal of time talking to and being around people who use the term anglo-American as a way of signifying their white pride. I think he is so used to saying it, he doesn't think twice about whether or not it is appropriate or timely to do so.

Since you asked what I think...

That is what I think.

If you are offended by what Kinder said, why not send his office a nice little letter stating, "Although I'm sure you are not a racist and in the speech you gave on Aug 19th you didn't intend to come off as a racist; howsoever, for some of us not living in Jefferson City the phrase 'Ango American' comes off a little tone deaf. Kinder would probably read it and think, "damn your right".

Instead a bunch of people get offended. The majority of whites in MO get sick of hearing about some minority's hurt egos and then the problem just escalates.

oh,I don't think he had to think about it at all. I think it came naturally to him.

I think he spends a good deal of time talking to and being around people who use the term anglo-American as a way of signifying their white pride. I think he is so used to saying it, he doesn't think twice about whether or not it is appropriate or timely to do so.

Since you asked what I think...

That is what I think.

Ding ding ding. Correct answer (IMHO also)

Sometimes my kids do something wrong. When called on it, they claim, "I didn't mean to do it, though," as if that is an acceptable excuse.
I have to remind them that
"I didn't mean to do it"
is very different than
"I meant to avoid that and had a plan to avoid it that didn't work out"

The first answer shows that they didn't think _avoiding it_ was their responsibility. But it was. And if they took no steps to on purpose avoid it, then it's no accident that they get a dismissal of charges for.

"I didn't mean to do that."
"I meant to not do that"

Big difference. My teenage kids get that. Mr. Lt. Gov didn't feel responsible for soothing conflict. Musta been someone else's job. He did something bad, and he doesn't get off with no record of it in my book. He did something stoopid. Own it.

If you are offended by what Kinder said, why not send his office a nice little letter stating, "Although I'm sure you are not a racist and in the speech you gave on Aug 19th you didn't intend to come off as a racist; howsoever, for some of us not living in Jefferson City the phrase 'Ango American' comes off a little tone deaf. Kinder would probably read it and think, "damn your right".

Instead a bunch of people get offended. The majority of whites in MO get sick of hearing about some minority's hurt egos and then the problem just escalates.
This is one of the problems we have in America... the right-wing's insistence that they and only they have the right to be offended. They actually get offended when other people are offended.

oh I am not offended.

hell, I'm thankful.

I like knowing where people are coming from

But I also know that the public officials of a given state in a time of crisis need to choose their words carefully, so as not to add fuel to the fire. When you pledge to serve the public good, that means all the public. And you don't take a time of crisis to send messages to your low information base that you stand with them and against the black thugs who chase them in their dreams.

Last edited:

oh I am not offered.

hell, I'm thankful.

But I also know that the public officials of a given state in a time of crisis need to choose their words carefully, so as not to add fuel to the fire. When you pledge to serve the public good, that means all the public. And you don't take a time of crisis to send messages to your low information base that you stand with them and against the black thugs who chase them in their dreams.

Yes, it was a very niggardly statement on his part. By "niggardly", I of course mean "racist against black people" and I'm not using one of the actual definitions of the word.

Yes, it was a very niggardly statement on his part. By "niggardly", I of course mean "racist against black people" and I'm not using one of the actual definitions of the word.
It is an obscure word and isn't particularly used much in common conversation. He could have said the same thing without even referring to "Anglo-American civilization".

oh I am not offered.

hell, I'm thankful.

Like I said he is a junior politician - give him some slack. (Personally, I don't like him, I didn't vote for him, he is kind of an idiot, and I doubt his political career will ever go anywhere.). The thing is NO one EVER pays any attention to the Lt. Governor. I'd be willing to bet that 95% of the people in Missouri don't have a clue who he is. Why not pay attention to what our governor Jay Nixon is saying and doing.

Back
Top Bottom