• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

And Now, The Missouri Lt. Gov. on the Topic of Justice.

What systems of jurisprudence exist within The Americas, and what terms are generally used to differentiate them?
1. Precedent-oriented. Generally called Common Law or Anglo-American.
2. Statute-oriented. Generally called Civil Law or Code Napoleon.
3. Party-oriented. Generally called Cuban or Marxist.

Maybe you're right and that people shouldn't take exception to this guy telling black afro people to act more like white anglo people. I mean that's a perfectly reasonable stance to take I guess.

No, they shouldn't take exception to his saying that because he didn't say anything like that. They also shouldn't be offended by his call to have the police whip some manners into the dirty negroes because he didn't say anything like that either.
Here's the problem. You're Canadian. Because Canadians get your collective noses rubbed in it day in and day out, nearly all of you know perfectly well what otherwise a person has to pay a modicum of attention to the world beyond his own provincial culture to be aware of: that the opposite of "Anglo-" is "Franco-". But America is a land where the great majority of us do not pay a modicum of attention to the world beyond our own provincial culture. Here, it's perfectly easy for a person to keep himself so ignorant he can believe the opposite of "Anglo" is "Afro". So sure, you can look on this situation from your broader perspective and just see it as silly; but how would you see it if you had to live with these witless wonders?

The guy was probably quite familiar with the term and it may not have occurred to him that it could be interpreted racially. Much like I (and most geeky, sciencey types) have been using the term "black hole" for decades (in many contexts) without once thinking of it as a pejorative terms towards blacks. Yet, as most everyone knows, some city council guy recently used that term and it apparently offended some African American guy nearby, who wasn't as familiar with the term, and he got majorly offended. The guy who said, "black hole" was clearly dumbfounded and incredulous, and was asked to apologize.

The guy was probably quite familiar with the term and it may not have occurred to him that it could be interpreted racially.
[...]

He's a politician who was speaking out on a racially-charged issue. While it is possible that this is the result of incompetence rather than some sort of freudian slip, if it is incompetence this is one hell of a doozy. Someone who made it as far as lieutenant governor should know better by now.

Racism may not be behind this, but from the face of it, it really looks bad. When people ignore that things have context, even unintended context, that is when miscommunications happen.
But which set of people is ignoring the context? What does "Anglo-American" always mean in the context of "Anglo-American Jurisprudence"?

The guy was probably quite familiar with the term and it may not have occurred to him that it could be interpreted racially.

Are we talking about Anglo-American Jurisprudence, or Anglo-American Civilisation?

Talking about Anglo-American jurisprudence is fine. It's a bit insensitive given the circumstances, but not inappropriate. But following up that comment with one about Anglo-American civilization puts the emphasis of Lt. Governor Kinder's speech on Anglo-Americanism, not jurisprudence.

Kinder was praising the Anglo-American way, and criticizing the (mostly black) protesters for not following it. If he'd simply said "the American way" his comments wouldn't have sounded so white-centric.

Whether or not the people on this board got what the Lt. Gov. meant Or what the words can mean, the GOP voters of MO knew what he meant, black folk in MO knew what he meant, and the LG knew what he meant.

Y'all can play your little games if ya want to here on the internet

I don't give a shit anymore

It was a quiet night in Ferguson last night, and part of that was because nobody said anything overly stupid yesterday.

That's a start.

[...]

He's a politician who was speaking out on a racially-charged issue. While it is possible that this is the result of incompetence rather than some sort of freudian slip, if it is incompetence this is one hell of a doozy. Someone who made it as far as lieutenant governor should know better by now.

It's fairly easy to bumble into becoming lieutenant governor.

Kinder is the first person since the 1940s to be re-elected to a 3rd consecutive term as Lt. Gov. in Missouri.

Whether or not the people on this board got what the Lt. Gov. meant Or what the words can mean, the GOP voters of MO knew what he meant, black folk in MO knew what he meant, and the LG knew what he meant.

It was a quiet night in Ferguson last night, and part of that was because nobody said anything overly stupid yesterday.

That's a start.

You must have pretty low expectations of the people of Ferguson if you think they will destroy property and endanger lives because someone says something stupid. I like to think they're better than that, but what do I know?

That's a start.

You must have pretty low expectations of the people of Ferguson if you think they will destroy property and endanger lives because someone says something stupid. I like to think they're better than that, but what do I know?

Does this baiting technique of yours ever work?

Mostly because Rush Limbaugh endorses him. He has some strange family connection. His plan was to run for Gov, but then some pictures came out with him and a stripper. The party told him to quietly become Lt. governor Anyhow, I don't expect him to rise any further.

Hmm... Rick Perry comes to mind. And he was supposedly the brains of the W. Bush / Perry ticket. :eek:

You're the one who baited him by persecuting white people! Worst of all, you're baiting him for the crime of standing up for white people! When will the oppression end? Who will stand up for White Rights? [/conservolibertarian]

That's a start.

I think your response answers your question pretty well.

Huh? If there was ever a master baiter, its you. ;)

Maybe you should clarify what you said, as it appears you essentially said that the people will riot (as in previous nights) because of something stupid someone says. Rioting is never the answer to anything, and certainly not to something some dumbshit politician says.

Huh? If there was ever a master baiter, its you. ;)

Maybe you should clarify what you said, as it appears you essentially said that the people will riot (as in previous nights) because of something stupid someone says. Rioting is never the answer to anything, and certainly not to something some dumbshit politician says.
There is nothing in her post that "appears to essentially say" any such thing. BTW, rioting is an answer, just not the preferred or correct answer in a civilized society.

It's a shame Michael was not given that Anglo, Anglo Saxon, whatever the f...k, civilization.......you know the one that allows the justice system to "work it out".

Back
Top Bottom