• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

And Now, The Missouri Lt. Gov. on the Topic of Justice.

Funny,

I first thought the OP was implying that the cop administered justice in the street, thus.... irony.

As to "Anglo-American" legal system that is ridiculous non-story. Anglo means simply something of or related the England. He is referring to the fact that our American legal system is heavily and rather directly based upon core features of the English common law system of the 16th-18th centuries.

He was avoiding the wrongful implication that American just made up the positive attributes of our legal system themselves, and giving credit to the formal system from which the founders of our system most directly got their ideas.

The English system would appropriately reference the Anglo-SAXANs not Anglo-American.

Wrong. Anglo-Saxon refers to things of the Saxon tribe that migrated to Europe, and Anglo-Saxon law refers only to the system in place in England prior to the Norman Conquest of the 11th century. It is taken as being less and not more inclusive than Anglo.

Anglo-American legal systems refers to systems around the world rooted in the common law traditions of England, and the phrase "Anglo-American legal" returns 1.3 million google hits, the most strongly linked of which are law and law history sites and encyclopedia and I can't find any indication that any rational person thinks that the term is racist, prior to the hits related specifically to this invented nonsense.

Oh, and last I checked, blacks and many other are American and live in the Americas, so the term in no way excludes them.

Last edited:
people who are concerned are not the ones lacking comprehension.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. I think what he said was fine and you think he should have been more of a niggard when choosing his words. :)

I don't care how MANY words he uses, I want him to use productive ones.

I accept your apology.

Well, that's no way to start a flamewar. Couldn't you at least compare me to Hitler first? :(
Inverse Godwin for the win!

Tom, the problem is what the guy said, it was how he said it and the audience in which he was speaking with (MSNBC). The term Anglo American Civilization isn't exactly a commonly used phrase. It contains elements which can be confused by normal people who aren't looking to start a riot. He could have stated what he did in a manner that would have been unquestionable, which would have been better seeing that communication has been one of the main problems since the death of a teen in Ferguson.

The English system would appropriately reference the Anglo-SAXANs not Anglo-American.

Wrong. Anglo-Saxon refers to things of the Saxon tribe that migrated to Europe, and Anglo-Saxon law refers only to the system in place in England prior to the Norman Conquest of the 11th century. It is taken as being less and not more inclusive than Anglo.
You may want to catch up with the thread.

My issue with him is that he's an idiot that thought using terms like "anglo" would help diffuse a race fueled situation.

He's not an idiot, just someone who didn't anticipate just how many idiotic and historically and linguistically ignorant people are out there looking to misinterpret everything they can to fuel their hysteria.

My issue with him is that he's an idiot that thought using terms like "anglo" would help diffuse a race fueled situation.

He's not an idiot, just someone who didn't anticipate just how many idiotic and historically and linguistically ignorant people are out there looking to misinterpret everything they can to fuel their hysteria.

No, he's an idiot.

Well, that's no way to start a flamewar. Couldn't you at least compare me to Hitler first? :(
Inverse Godwin for the win!

Tom, the problem is what the guy said, it was how he said it and the audience in which he was speaking with (MSNBC). The term Anglo American Civilization isn't exactly a commonly used phrase. It contains elements which can be confused by normal people who aren't looking to start a riot. He could have stated what he did in a manner that would have been unquestionable, which would have been better seeing that communication has been one of the main problems since the death of a teen in Ferguson.

It's not something that needs more explaining. I completely understand your point of view. I just think you're wrong about it.

You may want to catch up with the thread.

Oh, did you admit somewhere how objectively wrong you were? I'll go look for that.

No, he's an idiot.

Amazing how a guy who speaks accurate facts but fails to anticipate how people ignorant of those basic and important facts would misconstrue the statement is the one who is an idiot.

Anyone who makes an issue of this is far worse than an idiot. They are immoral scum knowingly misrepresenting reality to fuel racial tensions.

Amazing how a guy who speaks accurate facts but fails to anticipate how people ignorant of those basic and important facts would misconstrue the statement is the one who is an idiot.
So you think he had to reassure everyone in the audience that Missouri would not use Sharia law or the Napoleonic code to bring this situation to an end?
Anyone who makes an issue of this is far worse than an idiot. They are immoral scum knowingly misrepresenting reality to fuel racial tensions.
Irony, thy name is doubtingt.

No, he's an idiot.

Basic fact? Capital of US is Washington DC. There are three main branches of US Government, Executive, Legislative, and Judicial. President is elected every four years.

That Canada, Antigua, The United States and other areas founded by England are called Anglo America is not a "basic fact".

So you think he had to reassure everyone in the audience that Missouri would not use Sharia law or the Napoleonic code to bring this situation to an end?

Given the reactions here on the streets of Ferguson, it is clear that many people have no knowledge of or respect for how our legal system operates, so he clearly did need to point out that we have a formal system of justice that requires due process and protection of the accused from vigilante revenge. "Anglo-American" merely refers to the kind of common law system we have an that differs importantly from many other systems in its mechanisms to try and ensure the kind precedent based fair and consistent application of the law that he was referring to. No rational person would make anything of his mentioning the terms that refers to the foundational principles of our system. Did he "need" to include that phrase? No. Do you cut every single word from your speech and writing that is not absolutely needed? No. Is the fact that he didn't need to say it, therefore a completely invented non-issue to cover for your woeful ignorance? Yes.

Given the reactions here on the streets of Ferguson, it is clear that many people have no knowledge of or respect for how our legal system operates, so he clearly did need to point out that we have a formal system of justice that requires due process and protection of the accused from vigilante revenge. "Anglo-American" merely refers to the kind of common law system we have an that differs importantly from many other systems in its mechanisms to try and ensure the kind precedent based fair and consistent application of the law that he was referring to.
And for some reason, you think people needed to be reassured that Sharia law or the Napoleonic code would be used, instead of our criminal justice system. And for some reason, you think the very people who had"...no knowledge of or respect for how our legal system operates.." would know what Anglo-American meant in that context.
No rational person would make anything of his mentioning the terms that refers to the foundational principles of our system.
How would you know?
Did he "need" to include that phrase? No. Do you cut every single word from your speech and writing that is not absolutely needed? No. Is the fact that he didn't need to say it, therefore a completely invented non-issue to cover for your woeful ignorance? Yes.
Actually, when I make a speech, I do consider my audience and do try to tailor the message. That is what competent speakers and those who aspire to competency attempt to do. Most politicians are acutely aware of this. Your response implies the Lt. Gov. (a professional politician) is rather clueless on this matter. Do you have any evidence to support this assumption of cluelessness, or is this an example of projection masquerading as "analysis"?

It's the part where he stripped blacks from our society, by saying "Anglo-American civilization". The best part is it implies that blacks haven't contributed to the system at all.

- - - Updated - - -

white jurisprudence really is the best kind of jurisprudence
It has nothing to do with race, just with recognizing historical realities. US legal system is largely based on the English system it evolved from. Hence "Anglo-American". Complaining about it is political correctness run amok!
Or even "the British system..." :p

This is about as dumb as the argument that niggardly is a racist word. Anglo-American Jurisprudence is what your type of legal system is called. I get that the 24 hour news cycle needs constant fodder to fan the flames of outrage in order to keep viewership up and all that and the riots were a bit calmer last night, but this is seriously stretching it.
The term used was "Anglo-American civilization". White America.

Actual Tom is correct. In the U.S. our system is a combination of common law and civil law, and it is called "Anglo-American Jurisprudence". What Derec called "English law" is actually just common law.

That said, I still think the governor used a very poor choice of words. Good communication means using language that your audience will understand. The vast majority of people would not know what law professors call our system of jurisprudence. They will know, however, that "anglo" means white non-hispanic. As such, given the racial nature of what is going on in Ferguson, his choice of words was stupid.

ETA:

WTF? I'm going to have to agree with Derec. Anglo-American law is somewhat unique in the world as it's based on common law. Look at this map of the world. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_law#mediaviewer/File:LegalSystemsOfTheWorldMap.png See all the maroon countries? Those are the ones that have common law. They all originated from England. The exception being Louisiana as they use Napoleonic Code.
Derec was not correct, but Tom was :p

Wrong. He used both.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/...ican-justice-in-ferguson-not-racial-protests/

“We do not do justice in America in the streets though,” he argued. “We have legal processes that are set in motion, that are designed after centuries of Anglo-American jurisprudence tradition, they’re designed to protect the rights and liberties of everyone involved.”

. . .

“That’s one of the great advances of Anglo-American civilization, is that that we do not have politicized trials. We let the justice system work it out.”

And then there is that last bit for the governor to make it really clear what he meant. :p

Back
Top Bottom