• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another cop "fears for his life" - Officer Michael Slager Shooting Unarmed Black Man In The Back

Interestingly, (alarmingly? Horrifyingly?) the only thing that would make running from the cops "stupid" is the near certainty that
  1. they will try to shoot you dead if you disobey
  2. AND not face any discipline over it.
Without that near-certain assumption it is not stupid to run from police.

ronburgundy gave a good explanation of the "getting shot by police" part, but it is simply not true that these are the only things that make running from the cops stupid.
- you face additional charges. If you are running from something minor, that additional evading charge may be more than your original charge.
- you face high probability of getting tased or physically tackled in order for police to stop you. In addition to being unpleasant, it can cause injuries and in the case of tasers, cardiac arrest in some cases.
- if you run into the street you may get hit by a bus or something.

So yes, it is stupid to run from the police.

Interestingly, (alarmingly? Horrifyingly?) the only thing that would make running from the cops "stupid" is the near certainty that
  1. they will try to shoot you dead if you disobey
  2. AND not face any discipline over it.
Without that near-certain assumption it is not stupid to run from police.

ronburgundy gave a good explanation of the "getting shot by police" part, but it is simply not true that these are the only things that make running from the cops stupid.
- you face additional charges. If you are running from something minor, that additional evading charge may be more than your original charge.
- you face high probability of getting tased or physically tackled in order for police to stop you. In addition to being unpleasant, it can cause injuries and in the case of tasers, cardiac arrest in some cases.

Besides the point that if one is innocent there's no reason to run.

Whatever point they might have is completely drowned by the noise caused by their poor choice of causes.
Interestingly, their point is easily understood by many people of all races. Why do you think that is?

If one is guilty of petty crimes, there's no reason to shoot him while he is running from you. Or perhaps you think Judge Dredd is the model police officer?

If one is guilty of petty crimes, there's no reason to shoot him while he is running from you. Or perhaps you think Judge Dredd is the model police officer?
Yes, which is why Slager was prosecuted and plead guilty.
However, if you were stopped for something minor and run, the police officer is going to assume you are running because of something more serious. Sure, shooting them in the back is illegal in those circumstances, but e cop getting convicted is not doing any good to the dead guy and b) even without shooting, catching a fleeing suspect can lead to additional charges, injuries or even death.

Interestingly, their point is easily understood by many people of all races. Why do you think that is?
They hate cops?
Again, #BLM does not distinguish justified from unjustified shooting. If somebody is shot by police and is black, that's automatically "murder". For example, I found this on the #blacklivesmater hashtag:
C-6REVVWAAUnwN3.jpg:large

Isn't this a strawman? We know running from the police is stupid. However, it isn't a capital crime.

There are plenty of cases where people have evaded police for crimes that weren't violent.

'Commander Vimes didn't like the phrase "The innocent have nothing to fear," believing the innocent had everything to fear, mostly from the guilty but in the longer term even more from those who say things like "The innocent have nothing to fear."' - Terry Pratchett, Snuff

Yes, which is why Slager was prosecuted and plead guilty. [1]
However, if you were stopped for something minor and run, the police officer is going to assume you are running because of something more serious.[2] Sure, shooting them in the back is illegal in those circumstances, but e cop getting convicted is not doing any good to the dead guy[3] and b) even without shooting, catching a fleeing suspect can lead to additional charges[4], injuries[5] or even death.[6]

1. Good

2. Okay, even if this were true (It's not in the case of police officers who are actually worth their salt) That's not a reason to pull your gun out and start firing rounds.

3. So because the person is dead and nothing can bring them back, what? That's a good excuse to not prosecute the man and put him in prison? What about all the living people who's lives are made better now that this dangerous lunatic thug cop isn't out on the streets?

4. So what? The officer's job is not to escalate the situation.

5. So what? The officer's job is not to escalate the situation.

6. So what? The officer's job is not to escalate the situation.

They hate cops?
Again, #BLM does not distinguish justified from unjustified shooting. If somebody is shot by police and is black, that's automatically "murder". For example, I found this on the #blacklivesmater hashtag:

Are you suggesting that Jordan Edwards was NOT murdered by a police officer?

TEXAS PENAL CODE - TITLE 5. OFFENSES AGAINST THE PERSON - CHAPTER 19. CRIMINAL HOMICIDE

Sec. 19.02. MURDER. (b) A person commits an offense if he: (1) intentionally or knowingly causes the death of an individual;

Sure, shooting them in the back is illegal in those circumstances, but e cop getting convicted is not doing any good to the dead guy.

So are you suggesting that we should stop arresting, trying and convicting ALL people accused of killing someone else?

Then I guess we might as well eliminate the whole concept of pre-trial detention. After all, you know where they live and can go grab them whenever you want.
Dude that comment was so obtuse it was a straight line! Comparing pre-trial detention with no trial death sentence.

Seriously, you abuse analogies so badly it should be a crime.

The point is if knowing who did it is enough then pre-trial detention is not needed at all.

(And never mind that the original case didn't consider the possibility that the driver wasn't the owner of the car.)

Dude that comment was so obtuse it was a straight line! Comparing pre-trial detention with no trial death sentence.

Seriously, you abuse analogies so badly it should be a crime.

The point is if knowing who did it is enough then pre-trial detention is not needed at all.

(And never mind that the original case didn't consider the possibility that the driver wasn't the owner of the car.)
Wow, just bent back into an obtuse angle. Great job! The point is your analogies suck ass.

Sure, shooting them in the back is illegal in those circumstances, but e cop getting convicted is not doing any good to the dead guy

I think I get it. Convicting any murderer for his crimes doesn't do any good to the people he murdered, because they are already dead. Therefore, we should immediately stop prosecuting all murderers. Besides, putting this murderous cop in prison would also potentially stop him from killing more black people, sorry, thugs, which obviously would not be desirable.

:rolleyes:

Sure, shooting them in the back is illegal in those circumstances, but e cop getting convicted is not doing any good to the dead guy.

So are you suggesting that we should stop arresting, trying and convicting ALL people accused of killing someone else?

Seriously, if this site allowed for signatures, this would probably be THE quote I'd use for it because it's indicative of the transparent dislike Derec has for black people.

Seriously, if this site allowed for signatures, this would probably be THE quote I'd use for it because it's indicative of the transparent dislike Derec has for black people.

Settings/My Settings/Edit Signature

Settings/My Settings/Edit Signature

Oh, they're out of the way. I never really noticed until now. Thanks!

Unfortunately, my sig is too far out of the way for it to publicly showcase Derec's ignorance so no use to me.

Back
Top Bottom