• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another Fucking Mass Shooting At US School

Where the heck did an 18 year old loser get the money to purchase $3k+ worth of guns? He probably got credit but how is that possible if you don't have a job and a credit score of zero? Is getting credit different in Texas? How did he have money to buy so much ammunition? Credit?

Who cares? He could have gotten the money in a number of ways. {snip}

How do you think an 18 year old loser got $3,800+ cash to buy two guns? Maybe there is more to this tragedy.

Again, who cares? The fact is that he had the money to purchase those weapons. I'm sure that there is more to this tragedy, but where he got the money from is far less important than what he did when he got the money.
Me, I care. I think it could be an important piece of the puzzle. OK, not as important as how an 18 year old can acquire such lethal weapons so easily but still, it's a piece of the puzzle. Just as bullying could be a piece etc.

It seems this guy was on the run for murder and happened upon the elementary school. Sucks.
Has that been reported?
Yes and no. Always the problem with breaking news. Some say he first killed his grandmother.

Why you would assume he was on the run rather than on next stop of a shooting spree? Like the Newtown shooter.

Robb Elementary Gunman Salvador Ramos Warned He Was ‘Going to Shoot’ a School Minutes Before Uvalde Massacre.

The right question to ask was asked in the news conference. We did not have all these mass shootings in the past and now we do. What has changed?

If we call it a mentahealth problem, what has changed in our collective mental health?

To me we have alwys had hate and fear mongers. Today I see a hatefulness, spite, and hostility we never had before. We see it every dya in the polarized media.

Road rage for one. Neighbors shooting each other over disputes. Mass school shootings are a symptom of a more general problem.

That is a crap statement. "Salvador Ramos was a law abiding citizen until he massacred the school" would be better and more revealing.

Speaking for myself only I really don't give two shits about someone being mentally unhealthy. We can deal with that. We do have mentally unhealthy people in the population, lots and lots and lots of them. I only care if they get assault weapons or otherwise pose a danger to me. It's mentally unhealthy to have the attitude that anyone ought to be able to walk into a gun store and buy assault weapons. Just who is calling who a bitch for fuck's sake.

The right question to ask was asked in the news conference. We did not have all these mass shootings in the past and now we do. What has changed?

If we call it a mentahealth problem, what has changed in our collective mental health?

To me we have alwys had hate and fear mongers. Today I see a hatefulness, spite, and hostility we never had before.
Yeah, talk to some black people about that. Also, violent crime is still near record lows. So your interpretation of how much crime there is, isn't reflected in the stats. And yes, certainly right-wing fascism is on the rise, but this has nothing to do with that.
We see it every dya in the polarized media.
Teens don't watch the news.
Road rage for one. Neighbors shooting each other over disputes. Mass school shootings are a symptom of a more general problem.
Yeah, access to guns.

Hmm. I'll have to call my local TV stations and correct their reporting.

Teens do not watch TV and movies? Since when. Around here teens are shooting teens. Teens are committing armed robbery. The rise of gangs.

The culture has changed. That is the only logical conclusion. Anything else is hand waving.

Teens do not watch TV and movies? Since when.
TV and movies aren't polarized, that implied news media. And teens don't watch the news.
Around here teens are shooting teens. Teens are committing armed robbery. The rise of gangs.
Rise of gangs? I guess West Side Story and Boyz in the Hood were futuristic movies.
The culture has changed. That is the only logical conclusion. Anything else is hand waving.
Culture hasn't changed.

Quite a lot has changed over the past 50 years. Start with the systemic dismantling of the family unit, the ascension of welfare state, and now the internet information super highway and the astonishing ease with which an 18 year old could acquire two lethal weapons.

Teens do not watch TV and movies? Since when. Around here teens are shooting teens. Teens are committing armed robbery. The rise of gangs.

The crime rate in Seattle is about half what it was in the eighties.

To me we have alwys had hate and fear mongers. Today I see a hatefulness, spite, and hostility we never had before. We see it every dya in the polarized media.

One big change was that the assault weapons ban of 1994 only lasted 10 years. Congress let it expire. Afterwards, military style assault weapons became the weapon of choice for mass shootings. Quick trigger action and very high capacity magazines allow even poorly trained users to kill and injure a lot of people very quickly. Add body armor to keep the shooter alive, when security forces finally show up. Here is a  List of school shootings in the United States. That page is a rather long list that covers just those since 2000. There is a link to another long list for those that took place in the previous century. Most of these shootings only manage to kill a few people or even fail to accomplish that, but the frequency and lethality have gone up over time as more and more guns with enhanced firepower have become available to the public.

One place you won't be able to find firearms in Texas after the Robb Elementary School massacre is, surprisingly, the National Rifle Association's upcoming forum in Houston on May 27.

According to a memo on the NRA's website, NRA members will not be able to bring their firearms to the Houston meeting.

The leadership forum is described as "one of the most politically significant and popular events in the country, featuring our nation's top Second Amendment leaders in government, the media, and the entertainment industry."

One place you won't be able to find firearms in Texas after the Robb Elementary School massacre is, surprisingly, the National Rifle Association's upcoming forum in Houston on May 27.

According to a memo on the NRA's website, NRA members will not be able to bring their firearms to the Houston meeting.

The leadership forum is described as "one of the most politically significant and popular events in the country, featuring our nation's top Second Amendment leaders in government, the media, and the entertainment industry."
There is no need for NRA members to show up with their firearms because they do not need to intimidate the NRA to "protect their 2nd amendment rights". And, of course, the NRA nabobs might be a little fearful one of their faithful dittoheads is a batshit nutty enough to take literal aim at them for not expanding their "rights:.

This shooting will probably fade from public consciousness even more quickly than Sandy Hook, which made a big splash.
Well the shooter wasn’t white so I do expect the story to fade rather quickly. Or a weird narrative about white oppression starting this young man on his path to death and destruction.
The reason it will fade quickly without even interrupting a republican lawmaker's lunch is because the victims weren't white.

aa
Race isn't an issue. The Las Vegas massacre involved a country music festival. The Church shooting... that was Texas too, killed over 20 people (white people). Nothing from the GOP.
Republicans sat down and crafted 2 bi-partisan bills with democrats after Sandy Hook (I know, they were both defeated - but at least they tried). I promise, this group of republicans does not see an american tragedy. They are probably still wondering how all those kids got out of the separation camps at the border.

aa

"I don't want to say this was staged," [Alex] Jones said during his show. "But we have specifically said, with two years of our leading mass shootings, that with all the pre-programming, that mass shootings are coming, terrorists are going to attack and we have got to take the guns. Then I'm like, well I would predict a lot of mass shootings right before elections and like clockwork, it is happening. To me, it is just very opportunistic what is happening."

Newsweek article

I guess Jones hasn't lost lost enough court judgments yet.

Back
Top Bottom