• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another Fucking Mass Shooting At US School

I get that you think that. But it doesn't make it a fact. There are two main things going on.
It is a fact that media entities like CNN have an agenda.
Like when they dishonestly edited a #BLM hero's sister's call to take violence to the suburbs and pretended she was calling for "peace".
1) Inner city violence is a known quantity. If you live in the city you will see it on the news. But otherwise, it is something people are interested in. School shootings are a bigger draw ratings wise.
2) It is ugly, btu most people don't care about inner city people killing themselves. Heck, we had that one (well actually two) serial killer in Cleveland, but all he did was murder black women. It barely made the national news.
If it was a white guy who killed black women, Anderson Cooper would not stop yapping about it and you know it.

The existing laws have allowed the people to buy these guns right before their sprees. So maybe the existing laws aren't working too well
I already said that I support reasonable new legislation. However, there are already laws that are not being (adequately) enforced.
Especially we must stop giving people slaps on the wrist for gun crimes.
Victim says teens who shot at him got slap on the wrist after multiple carjackings
Maryland leaders question lenient laws for youth violence after report on juvenile crime

I know it is politically easier for Dems to go after law-abiding people with AR15s than after teens carjacking people with Glocks. :rolleyesa:

Yeah, you see, while I get you are obsessed over that, it isn't the problem. Inner city issues are a problem steeped with past racism, corporate abandonment, lead, and poverty. And when you add in all the guns you can grab, are we surprised that bad stuff happens?
Of course gun crimes like robberies, carjackings or drive-bys are a problem. But refusing to place the blame on the perps is not going to solve the issue. I see you blame everything except those who rob, shoot and kill others.

Are you talking about the commonplace law enforcement practice of seizing money and property off innocent motorists without an iota of evidence to support probable cause for such seizures?
No, I mean regular stops by police. Many cities have outlawed most traffic stops ostensibly because of "equity".
Why are you bringing up a completely unrelated issue?
You talked about police, traffic stops and armed robbers acting like princes. That's what civil asset forfeiture is about, police robbing motorists using pretextual "traffic stops" and then boasting on the internet about how much they stole. And like royal princes, they can't be touched. They have immunity and are above the law. What else could you be talking about? What are you going on about traffic stops and robbery by princes if you're not talking about civil asset forfeiture?

Are you talking about the commonplace law enforcement practice of seizing money and property off innocent motorists without an iota of evidence to support probable cause for such seizures?
No, I mean regular stops by police. Many cities have outlawed most traffic stops ostensibly because of "equity".
Why are traffic stops necessary? Record the license plate number and mail the ticket to whomever the vehicle is titled to.

Of course gun crimes like robberies, carjackings or drive-bys are a problem. But refusing to place the blame on the perps is not going to solve the issue. I see you blame everything except those who rob, shoot and kill others
Like you, I want to stop the police from robbing, beating and killing people because they can hide behind their badge. Like you, I want to hold them accountable for their bad behavior. If the prosecuting attorney refuses to bring charges against criminal police officers, as is often the case except in the most heinous of crimes that are captured on film and happen to get national exposure, there is very little the victims of such crimes can do to hold the officers responsible for their actions. Even if the victoms are able to successfully pursue litigation against their employer, holding the individual officers responsible is virtually impossible. We have to reverse the case law on qualified immunity through legislation. Is that what you want as well?

Why are traffic stops necessary? Record the license plate number and mail the ticket to whomever the vehicle is titled to.
Like a parking ticket.

Many stops are pretextual. The police will often pull people over for petty violations, or even on completely fabricated violations because they are profiling the drivers. They want to check if the driver is intoxicated, has warrants, has drugs and guns in the car and so on. In some cities, law enforcement vehicles use automated tag readers to alert the officer if the registered owner has had previous run-ins with the law - every tag that drops into the camera frame gets read, and potentially followed until they see an infraction that gives them probable cause to trigger a stop. From a stop they might intimidate the driver into consenting to a search of the car, force the passengers to identify so they can run them for warrants, and so on. It doesn't help that the courts often bend over backward to endorse this erosion of our rights in the name of getting tough on crime/drugs and officer safety. States have the option to pass legislation to curb such encroachments, and the federal government could be more proactive about prosecuting officers and jurisdictions who habitually get caught violating our rights, but only the worst cases that get caught on camera and garner national attention actually get Investigated. If the George Floyd murder had not been captured on civilian cameras and the footage received national attention, nobody would know his name, and the official police report would have been considered the truth. Just another black man whose life came to an unfortunate end because he was high on drugs.

In the end, people just don't care enough to do do anything even when they see something with their own eyes. At least until something happens to them and they feel the weight of the state come down on their neck.

1) That's a viable tactic if your goal is money. It does nothing about getting bad drivers off the road.

2) Stolen cars/stolen plates?

3) The reality is that traffic stops turn up a lot of other crime. The wicked flee where no man pursuith--and criminals tend to have little respect for traffic laws.

The owner isn't necessarily the driver - particularly in the case of fleet vehicles.

And being stopped and fined for running a red light, is a much more effective way to dissuade a driver from running another light, than being mailed a fine for running a light a week (or a month) earlier will ever be.

A crime punishable only by a fine is only illegal for poor people. But if you are a millionaire and in a tearing hurry, getting fined might not bother you, but getting stopped is a significant punishment in its own right.

You were speeding because you wanted to save a few minutes? Now you get to wait while a cop very slowly writes up a ticket. And if you get pissed and start complaining, he will just get slower. Oops, made a mistake there, gonna have to start over.

Like a parking ticket.
I prefer towing for parking violators, for the same reason I prefer stops for moving violations. Paying a ticket is nothing to Richie Rich, but finding his car has vanished, and having to arrange to get it from the pound, is a genuine punishment.

I also think cops should carry a miniture battery-powered shredder, just big enough for a Driver's Licence. Commit a sufficiently egregious offence, and they can shred your licence right there in front of you.

Like a parking ticket.
I prefer towing for parking violators, for the same reason I prefer stops for moving violations. Paying a ticket is nothing to Richie Rich, but finding his car has vanished, and having to arrange to get it from the pound, is a genuine punishment.

I also think cops should carry a miniture battery-powered shredder, just big enough for a Driver's Licence. Commit a sufficiently egregious offence, and they can shred your licence right there in front of you.
Fascist bootlicker spotted.

I thought you were better than that.

Oh well.

Wait, parking tickets are the door to fascism? I guess I've been wasting a lot of time worrying about violent xenophobia and the replacement of free academic inquiry with lesser substitutes.

Like a parking ticket.

Oh well.
WTF?

How is calling for punishments that are designed affect all offenders, not just the poor, in any way fascist??

Traffic offences are NOT minor offences, and are NOT victimless crimes; And yet many people who would never dream of comitting petty theft or of verbally assaulting their fellow citizens seem to imagine that any attempt to keep their city's traffic safe and mobile is "fascism".

WTF is wrong with people? How difficult is it to drive at the speed limit, and to park only where it is safe and lawful to do so? Why should wealthy people be permitted to do these things, at the expense of the rest of society?

Like a parking ticket.

Oh well.
WTF?

How is calling for punishments that are designed affect all offenders, not just the poor, in any way fascist??

Traffic offences are NOT minor offences, and are NOT victimless crimes; And yet many people who would never dream of comitting petty theft or of verbally assaulting their fellow citizens seem to imagine that any attempt to keep their city's traffic safe and mobile is "fascism".

WTF is wrong with people? How difficult is it to drive at the speed limit, and to park only where it is safe and lawful to do so? Why should wealthy people be permitted to do these things, at the expense of the rest of society?
In the US, police are not actually authorized to inflict punishment for offenses. They are allowed to make arrests. They are allowed to issue tickets. They are allowed to serve warrants. But even a traffic ticket can be challenged in court, if you want to take the time and effort to do so.

Towing a vehicle does inconvenience the wealthy but significantly less than it inconveniences middle class or poor. It costs money to get your car out of a tow lot. For weathy people, it’s pocket change. For poor people, it’s a weeks groceries or more. Definitely not equal.

Surely there are sufficient news stories about police here in the US who make errors in judgement, sometimes egregious errors that result in loss of life. Why enable them to shred a license if they think the driver deserved it?

In the US, one has the right to challenge charges brought against you, even if it’s just a parking ticket.

Like a parking ticket.
Agreed with this part.
But this doesn't go with innocent until proven guilty.

WTF?

One thing about parking, though: It should be clear what is or is not legal. There should be strict rules on signs, anything ambiguous or hard to find should automatically disqualify the ticket and make the two company pay your costs. Many places have gone to a system of showing a clear chart of when it is and isn't legal to park there--if there are any time restrictions they should be on such a chart.

I have been towed once--as was everyone around me. There was a big hunk of empty ground and there was a construction area next to it. The construction fence had a "no parking" sign on it. I'm sure we all made the same mistake--interpreted the sign as meaning don't park along here. There was nothing on the sign that indicated the area it applied to. The fence had uneven gravel next to it, the rest of the area was smooth and clearly showed the tread marks of many a passenger car.

There have also been a lot of scams where people would be towed while paying.

Back
Top Bottom