• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another Fucking Mass Shooting At US School

I grew up in a state that had some of the strictest gun control laws in the country. I never knew a single person who owned a gun and it was extremely rare to hear of a person being shot with a gun. There wasn't the type of violence that we see today. The boys who thought they were tough in my high school were scared shitless of our vice principal. It's true that sexual assault was a problem back then, as one of my sisters was gang raped by some high school boys.

Even when I first moved to the South in the 70s, I don't remember the gun fetish being anything like it is today. A stranger once followed me to my car late at night and threatened to rape me. I was able to shame him out of raping me, but I've often wondered what would have happened if he had a gun and had threatened me with the gun. I wouldn't have been able to act so fearless if a gun had been put in my face. I never used to see people openly carrying guns, like I do now.

Americans may have always had access to guns, but imo, it's much worse now than it was in the past. It's almost like we're back to the wild Wild West, where people shoot others over simple arguments, over road rage etc.

Derec mentioned two 18 year olds getting into a fight and one getting shot. This happens in the Atlanta area almost every day. I read about two shootings that happened on Thanksgiving. Both of the victims were shot by someone they knew. I don't remember this happening in the past, or if it did, it was rare.

What about the Walmart shooting that happened 2 or 3 days ago. The shooter was a manager or team leader who shot some of the employees on his team. Why is this becoming so common? Why are there so many messed up young men? Is it social isolation or undetected mental illness that influences some of these shooters? Why is it so easy for mentally ill folks to buy guns legally? So called red flag laws don't seem adequate. The shooter in Colorado had so many obvious signs of mental illness. He had a history of being abused and bullied. He had threatened his own mother, who also suffered from a mental illness, with a bomb, but was never prosecuted or evaluated for mental illness. Why was it so easy for him to have access to a deadly assault weapon? I realize that most people who suffer from a mental illness aren't violent but with easy access to guns, it's too easy for those who are prone to violence, to act out on that impulse.

Studies have been done and it's the guns that are the only reason why the US has so much deadly violence compared to other countries. The 2nd Amendment is an atrocity, and the way that the conservative courts have interpreted it makes it even worse. Any half brained idiot can own a gun thanks to those who wrote that damned amendment. And, why is the US one of the few countries that hasn't updated its original constitution?

Btw, the tv news just said that the Walmart shooter heard his employees making fun of him, so he bought a gun and decided to hunt them down. He bought the gun the morning of the shooting. Couldn't we at least have a waiting period before someone can put his hands on a gun!

Studies have been done and it's the guns that are the only reason why the US has so much deadly violence compared to other countries.
Demographics. It’s demographics.

FiXm61rWQAIE8lO

WUT? How are the black average and the difference average lower than any of the numbers shown? Oh, right. Because those examples are cherrypicked.
Why, I have no idea, but I can and do consider the source.

We can use the misleading nature of that graphic to talk about the actual information we can use. One important data point is that white people in poverty kill each other with guns at the same rate as Black people in poverty.

So clearly, fixing the poverty is a strongly correlated opportunity! And the fact that systems have been in place to create and perpetuate Black poverty gives us a terrific starting point.

We can use the misleading nature of that graphic to talk about the actual information we can use. One important data point is that white people in poverty kill each other with guns at the same rate as Black people in poverty.
Where is that data point? Do you have a link to it?

Also, why do you use the racist convention of capitalizing "black" while keeping "white" lower case? Either capitalize both or neither!

So clearly, fixing the poverty is a strongly correlated opportunity! And the fact that systems have been in place to create and perpetuate Black poverty gives us a terrific starting point.
What systems would that be? Maybe 50 years of giving black students preferential treatment in college or grad/professional school admission? Or similar programs that give blacks preferential access to government employment and contracts?

WUT? How are the black average and the difference average lower than any of the numbers shown? Oh, right. Because those examples are cherrypicked.
They are not exactly cherry-picked. The list seems to be sorted by difference.

I would like to see the whole table though. I suspect the high difference continues for below-average states as well.

Why, I have no idea, but I can and do consider the source.
CNN?

Derec mentioned two 18 year olds getting into a fight and one getting shot. This happens in the Atlanta area almost every day.
It does. Another 18 year old is dead because he and his buddies though a home invasion would be a good idea.
Teen killed, 3 others injured in DeKalb attempted home invasion, cops say
AJC said:
An 18-year-old was killed and three others, including a 15-year-old, were injured Friday in a shooting after they attempted to break into a DeKalb County home, police said.

Officers were called to the 2700 block of Gresham Road shortly after 5 p.m. and found Jacqueze Grier, 23; Taneaious McCune, 18; and the 15-year-old boy shot outside a home, according to police. Police said they were taken to a hospital with serious injuries and at least one was in critical condition.
McCune eventually died at the hospital. Another man, identified as 30-year-old Telvin Thomas, arrived at the hospital with a gunshot wound and was then linked to the incident, police said.
[...]
“This shooting appears justified and no charges are expected to be filed against any of the residents,” police said.
The three remaining suspects are in custody and are expected to be charged with felony murder, police said. Thomas and Grier will also be charged with home invasion.
And then there was a shooting at Atlantic Station today.
At least 1 dead, 5 injured in shooting near Atlantic Station, police say
Not much info yet, but it seems to have been a dispute of some kind and the shootees are younguns, 15-21 years old.

I read about two shootings that happened on Thanksgiving. Both of the victims were shot by someone they knew. I don't remember this happening in the past, or if it did, it was rare.
It could be that the news media is covering these incidents more. When it's a story like that, family gunned down at Thanksgiving dinner, by an ex of one of the victims, they will carry the story nationwide.
By the way, the shooter turned himself in.

What about the Walmart shooting that happened 2 or 3 days ago. The shooter was a manager or team leader who shot some of the employees on his team. Why is this becoming so common? Why are there so many messed up young men?
Such behavior is more common with young men, because of underdeveloped prefrontal cortex, but the Walmart shooter is 31 and the Houston Thanksgiving Dinner shooter is 38. Not that young any more.

Is it social isolation or undetected mental illness that influences some of these shooters? Why is it so easy for mentally ill folks to buy guns legally?
The difficulty lies in balancing rights of people to due process vs. safety of the community. The CS shooter was a pretty obvious example of a red flag, but most cases are yellow flags, maybe double-waved yellows, but no more than that. Where do you draw the line?
Why was it so easy for him to have access to a deadly assault weapon?
Or firearm of any kind.

Studies have been done and it's the guns that are the only reason why the US has so much deadly violence compared to other countries.
I would not say the only reason. I think culture also plays a big role. Most gun owners are law-abiding citizens who do not go around shooting people, or robbing/carjacking people at gunpoint etc.
7 carjackings reported on Chicago's West Side within one hour: police
What are Lightfoot, Foxx et al doing about it?
In a carjacking case in New Orleans, the left-wing mayor took the side of the teenage carjacker and supported him getting a slap on the wrist.
Crime victims upset after Mayor Cantrell attends court in support of juvenile perpetrator
Even though the perp committed two separate acts of armed carjacking with a firearm, he only received probation from the judge.
We can't fight against gun crime while giving gun criminals a pass. That's where Dems/lefties drop the ball. They coddle gun criminals.
The 2nd Amendment is an atrocity, and the way that the conservative courts have interpreted it makes it even worse. Any half brained idiot can own a gun thanks to those who wrote that damned amendment. And, why is the US one of the few countries that hasn't updated its original constitution?
We updated it 27 times. It is possible to amend the Constitution, but it is not easy. There is no way there will be a 2/3 majority in Congress and 3/4 majority among the several states to repeal, or fundamentally change, the 2nd Amendment. So let's not even talk about such pipe dreams.
What is possible is to go after gun criminals. Instead, Dem politicians like Mayor Cantell are on their side. Literally.

Btw, the tv news just said that the Walmart shooter heard his employees making fun of him, so he bought a gun and decided to hunt them down. He bought the gun the morning of the shooting. Couldn't we at least have a waiting period before someone can put his hands on a gun!
That would not be a bad idea. It would stop impulsive shootings like the Walmart one. But most gun crime is not like that. It is more like the armed robberies where Dem politicians often show more understanding for the perps than for the victims.

My god, you're right! No other Western nation has demographics. :rolleyesa:
Other Western nations have different demographics than the US. Duh.
Sure. Some of my friends are demographics. But you wouldn't want your sister to marry one. I'm sure they're happier with their own kind.

Sure. Some of my friends are demographics. But you wouldn't want your sister to marry one. I'm sure they're happier with their own kind.
What is your point? That we should not discuss obvious demographic differences in gun crime rates?

What is your point? That we should not discuss obvious demographic differences in gun crime rates?
Perhaps my point is that we should refrain from being wildly racist while doing so.

Perhaps it's disappointing that you didn't notice that obvious point.

Perhaps my point is that we should refrain from being wildly racist while doing so.
What do you consider "widely racist"? It seems to me that to the left, unless you still blame white people for it somehow, any acknowledgment of high black homicide (or other crime) rate is considered "racist".

Perhaps it's disappointing that you didn't notice that obvious point.
There was no point to your reply. Just snark.

It seems to me that to the left, unless you still blame white people for it somehow, any acknowledgment of high black homicide (or other crime) rate is considered "racist".
It seems to me that you are utterly oblivious to your own failings, and attribute any criticism of your positions for their inherent racism, as simply unfair blame from the "left".

Which has the major advantage of saving you from introspection of any kind; And the major disadvantage of leaving you saying wildly racist shit without having to admit (even to yourself) that anyone is aware of it.

It seems to me that you are utterly oblivious to your own failings, and attribute any criticism of your positions for their inherent racism, as simply unfair blame from the "left".
Bullshit.
There is nothing racist about my posts.
Accusing people of "racism" merely for pointing out politically incorrect and "un-woke" facts is a dishonest debate tactic, but very common on the far left.

Which has the major advantage of saving you from introspection of any kind; And the major disadvantage of leaving you saying wildly racist shit without having to admit (even to yourself) that anyone is aware of it.
I am not saying any racist shit, much less "wildly racist shit". That you cannot point out to any particular statements, but instead resort to general, and baseless, insults, says a lot about you.

It doesn't matter who is doing the shooting. Without easy access to guns, the shootings wouldn't be happening. This shouldn't have even needed to be researched, but it was and the results were that there are more shooting in the US because the US has too many guns!
Derec mentioned two 18 year olds getting into a fight and one getting shot. This happens in the Atlanta area almost every day.
It does. Another 18 year old is dead because he and his buddies though a home invasion would be a good idea.
Teen killed, 3 others injured in DeKalb attempted home invasion, cops say
AJC said:
An 18-year-old was killed and three others, including a 15-year-old, were injured Friday in a shooting after they attempted to break into a DeKalb County home, police said.

Officers were called to the 2700 block of Gresham Road shortly after 5 p.m. and found Jacqueze Grier, 23; Taneaious McCune, 18; and the 15-year-old boy shot outside a home, according to police. Police said they were taken to a hospital with serious injuries and at least one was in critical condition.
McCune eventually died at the hospital. Another man, identified as 30-year-old Telvin Thomas, arrived at the hospital with a gunshot wound and was then linked to the incident, police said.
[...]
“This shooting appears justified and no charges are expected to be filed against any of the residents,” police said.
The three remaining suspects are in custody and are expected to be charged with felony murder, police said. Thomas and Grier will also be charged with home invasion.
And then there was a shooting at Atlantic Station today.
At least 1 dead, 5 injured in shooting near Atlantic Station, police say
Not much info yet, but it seems to have been a dispute of some kind and the shootees are younguns, 15-21 years old.

I read about two shootings that happened on Thanksgiving. Both of the victims were shot by someone they knew. I don't remember this happening in the past, or if it did, it was rare.
It could be that the news media is covering these incidents more. When it's a story like that, family gunned down at Thanksgiving dinner, by an ex of one of the victims, they will carry the story nationwide.
By the way, the shooter turned himself in.

What about the Walmart shooting that happened 2 or 3 days ago. The shooter was a manager or team leader who shot some of the employees on his team. Why is this becoming so common? Why are there so many messed up young men?
Such behavior is more common with young men, because of underdeveloped prefrontal cortex, but the Walmart shooter is 31 and the Houston Thanksgiving Dinner shooter is 38. Not that young any more.

Is it social isolation or undetected mental illness that influences some of these shooters? Why is it so easy for mentally ill folks to buy guns legally?
The difficulty lies in balancing rights of people to due process vs. safety of the community. The CS shooter was a pretty obvious example of a red flag, but most cases are yellow flags, maybe double-waved yellows, but no more than that. Where do you draw the line?
Why was it so easy for him to have access to a deadly assault weapon?
Or firearm of any kind.

I would not say the only reason. I think culture also plays a big role. Most gun owners are law-abiding citizens who do not go around shooting people, or robbing/carjacking people at gunpoint etc.
7 carjackings reported on Chicago's West Side within one hour: police
What are Lightfoot, Foxx et al doing about it?
In a carjacking case in New Orleans, the left-wing mayor took the side of the teenage carjacker and supported him getting a slap on the wrist.
Crime victims upset after Mayor Cantrell attends court in support of juvenile perpetrator
Even though the perp committed two separate acts of armed carjacking with a firearm, he only received probation from the judge.
We can't fight against gun crime while giving gun criminals a pass. That's where Dems/lefties drop the ball. They coddle gun criminals.
The 2nd Amendment is an atrocity, and the way that the conservative courts have interpreted it makes it even worse. Any half brained idiot can own a gun thanks to those who wrote that damned amendment. And, why is the US one of the few countries that hasn't updated its original constitution?
We updated it 27 times. It is possible to amend the Constitution, but it is not easy. There is no way there will be a 2/3 majority in Congress and 3/4 majority among the several states to repeal, or fundamentally change, the 2nd Amendment. So let's not even talk about such pipe dreams.
What is possible is to go after gun criminals. Instead, Dem politicians like Mayor Cantell are on their side. Literally.

That would not be a bad idea. It would stop impulsive shootings like the Walmart one. But most gun crime is not like that. It is more like the armed robberies where Dem politicians often show more understanding for the perps than for the victims.
I read, although I can't remember which paper, that a very long study was done regarding why the US has so many more gun deaths compared to other nations. In the end, it all came down to guns! We now have about 400 million guns in the US! There was one country that was worse. It was a small mideastern country, although my foggy brain can't remember which one it was right now.

I know the 2nd amendment isn't going away. I just think it's really weird that we're the only democratic nation that hasn't written a new constitution or at least updated the original one. The founders wrote the damn thing during a time that was very different from the times we live in now. Sadly, too many people act as if our less than perfect document was handed to us by a god.

Actually, the highest percentage of gun deaths are still suicides, which is sad, especially if the suicide is committed by a young person who could have been helped. I just read about the Atlantic Station shootings. Apparently, there have been quite a few shootings at upscale shopping places this year. Some nut threatened to shoot up Southlake Mall this weekend. Luckily, after the police subdued him with tasers, they discovered he didn't have a gun. It seems as if there are a lot of seriously mentally ill folks running around these days.

I'm "gifting" what I think is a really good article that contains ways to help reduce gun violence. Of course, implementing these things won't be easy, and they won't prevent all or even most gun deaths, but I think they are all good suggestions. I hope at least a few of you will take the time to read the link and give your opinions. The article was updated from a 2018 one. it's long so I'll only post part of the intro.

https://wapo.st/3ASGNZl

For far too long, those who oppose gun reforms have said that nothing can be done to stem the violence.

Those claims are demonstrably wrong. Research on gun violence is notoriously underfunded, but the data we do have shows that well-designed gun laws informed by science can save lives.

I tire of the ‘it won’t solve all gun violence therefore we shouldn’t address it’. Much like the absurdity of not requiring seatbelts because people can still die in car accidents.

Back
Top Bottom