• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another Fucking Mass Shooting At US School

I think our current problem is mostly cultural.

I think it's genetic - a product of overpopulation-meets-technology.
I know a lot of people who will start in on the vast theoretical "carrying capacity" of the earth at the first mention of overpopulation. But my definition has nothing to do with carrying capacity. It's about sustainable quality of life.
I think you are both crazy.

Other places have American movies and entertainment. Other places have higher population densities.

Nowhere else has your daft second amendment, and nowhere else has significant numbers of school shootings.

It’s not fucking difficult to see where the problem comes from.

You repealed the eighteenth amendment; Now either repeal the second, or stop pretending to care.

And either way, stop looking for explanations that fly in the face of reality. Culture and population density my hairy arse. Get a fucking grip.

Satirical site, The Onion, keeps recycling an article article with this headline:

'No Way To Prevent This,' Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

Each article is about 200 words long, detailing the location of the shooting and the number of victims but otherwise remaining essentially the same. A fictitious resident of a state in which the shooting did not take place is quoted as saying that the shooting was "a terrible tragedy", but "there's nothing anyone can do to stop them". The article ends by pointing out that the United States is the "only economically advanced nation in the world where roughly two mass shootings have occurred every month for the past eight years" and that Americans view themselves and the situation as "helpless".
Latest example (16 May 2022) here.

Congress member Tony Gonzales (R, Texas) believes school mass shootings are the will of God. He quotes Matthew 19:14 to support his opinion:

nuy8gb5k7i191.png

This shooting will probably fade from public consciousness even more quickly than Sandy Hook, which made a big splash.
Well the shooter wasn’t white so I do expect the story to fade rather quickly. Or a weird narrative about white oppression starting this young man on his path to death and destruction.

Congress member Tony Gonzales (R, Texas) believes school mass shootings are the will of God. He quotes Matthew 19:14 to support his opinion:

nuy8gb5k7i191.png
It's understandable that people want to comfort themselves. How they do so is many times quite contradictory and irrational.

This shooting will probably fade from public consciousness even more quickly than Sandy Hook, which made a big splash.
Well the shooter wasn’t white so I do expect the story to fade rather quickly. Or a weird narrative about white oppression starting this young man on his path to death and destruction.
Temped to say something but what's the point. Some people are hopeless.

If you start with the UT tower gunman, and filter out every shooting since with less than 10 victims, this one puts Texas over 100 in the number of deaths from mass shootings.

Texas. A state trying to win the "most lax gun laws in the US" contest. Texas. A state whose Attorney General today said the real problem was that not enough people are armed.

The kid that shot up the school in Oxford, MI had a short manifesto too. He hoped his crime would get Biden thrown out of office.

It did used to be much easier to obtain a gun in the U.S. back when I was a kid. Are there statistics for gun deaths per 1000 from 1950 to today? That might be interesting.
It may have been much easier but that doesn't mean more people took advantage of that easiness.

nuy8gb5k7i191.png
The kids can wait!

One article I read implied he was bullied and sounds like he became broken.

Of course! I knew that there was some kind of racial issue at play here. :rolleyes:

I think our current problem is mostly cultural.

I think it's genetic - a product of overpopulation-meets-technology.
I know a lot of people who will start in on the vast theoretical "carrying capacity" of the earth at the first mention of overpopulation. But my definition has nothing to do with carrying capacity. It's about sustainable quality of life.
If you compare the population density in the US with most of the rest of the world, this theory falls apart completely.

This shooting will probably fade from public consciousness even more quickly than Sandy Hook, which made a big splash. However, Texas is one of the worst states for gun fetishism, so the gun lobby will be able to bat down calls for new gun control legislation fairly easily. Almost all the politicians there brag about how good they are with guns.
What is the point of new laws if the old ones are not enforced? It’s a straw man that conservatives don’t want to get illegal guns off the streets. But if local judges and prosecutors are lenient on criminals using guns, what do you expect? ACAB! Abolish prisons! Bail reform! Okay.

I see. So your idea is that mass shootings like this happen because of liberals and lenient law enforcement. What's the point of actually making it difficult for a troubled teenager to buy two assault rifles on his 18th birthday? The solution is to get tougher on criminals using guns. That kid would have thought twice before walking into an elementary school in body armor (in case the teachers and kids were armed) with two assault rifles. :hopelessness:

Back
Top Bottom