• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Are You Fucking Kidding Me?

Okay, Devil's advocate time: I don't know all of the facts, but I can understand why they might have called police officers to deal with the situation (Though this relies on a ton of assumptions so don't take it as gospel.)

If a ten year old autistic boy is causing problems and becomes violent, he needs to be restrained for both his safety and that of those around him. Now ideally the educators employed as part of the school's "Special Education" department should be trained for this kind of thing, but given how inconsistent funding for schools can be even in the same state, you can be left with teachers who perhaps aren't comfortable restraining an autistic child throwing a tantrum, and perhaps the school itself fears a lawsuit should the boy become injured. So from a certain perspective, it makes sense to call the police in.

Struggling to see how this justifies arresting and imprisoning him of course...But the fact that the police were involved isn't in itself a problem.

You don't call cops to deal with a ten year old kid throwing a tantrum. You call the parents.

Jesus, what is wrong with people?

Okay, Devil's advocate time: I don't know all of the facts, but I can understand why they might have called police officers to deal with the situation (Though this relies on a ton of assumptions so don't take it as gospel.)

If a ten year old autistic boy is causing problems and becomes violent, he needs to be restrained for both his safety and that of those around him. Now ideally the educators employed as part of the school's "Special Education" department should be trained for this kind of thing, but given how inconsistent funding for schools can be even in the same state, you can be left with teachers who perhaps aren't comfortable restraining an autistic child throwing a tantrum, and perhaps the school itself fears a lawsuit should the boy become injured. So from a certain perspective, it makes sense to call the police in.

Struggling to see how this justifies arresting and imprisoning him of course...But the fact that the police were involved isn't in itself a problem.

You don't call cops to deal with a ten year old kid throwing a tantrum. You call the parents.

When I was in highschool, we had a low-functioning autistic boy who frequently had to be restrained by school staff. I can still remember how he'd shriek like a monkey whenever they had to restrain him and drag him off and that he'd fight them the entire way from start to finish. Fortunately my school had teachers used to dealing with students like that, but what if they weren't? What if during the struggle, one of the teachers accidentally twisted his arm the wrong direction and caused bodily harm? Now the school is liable.

I'm not making excuses for arresting a 10 year old autistic boy. All I am saying is that sometimes, after a certain point you need to call for outside help if you don't believe you can handle the situation properly.

When I was in highschool, we had a low-functioning autistic boy who frequently had to be restrained by school staff. I can still remember how he'd shriek like a monkey whenever they had to restrain him and drag him off and that he'd fight them the entire way from start to finish. Fortunately my school had teachers used to dealing with students like that, but what if they weren't? What if during the struggle, one of the teachers accidentally twisted his arm the wrong direction and caused bodily harm? Now the school is liable.

I'm not making excuses for arresting a 10 year old autistic boy. All I am saying is that sometimes, after a certain point you need to call for outside help if you don't believe you can handle the situation properly.

That isn't what was going on here though. He was being arrested for assaulting​ a teacher like 6 months prior. He had stopped going to that school, and was called in on some pretext, during which time the school notified the police so they could come arrest him. He was held overnight in jail. Fucking Florida.

That isn't what was going on here though. He was being arrested for assaulting​ a teacher like 6 months prior. He had stopped going to that school, and was called in on some pretext, during which time the school notified the police so they could come arrest him. He was held overnight in jail. Fucking Florida.

Yeah I know, but I was more talking about having the police handle students in general.

I think this was handled correctly.

Having several teachers as close friends or family, they've either witnessed or been subject to physical attacks by students. One child about 13 stood 5'7 and was trying to kick or knee the principal in the groin.

Teachers aren't supposed to fight back.

But teachers also do not deserve to have to put up with physical attacks and abuse on the job by the children they're trying to teach.

In this case, a teacher was physically attacked by this boy and reported it and pressed charges.

This is what happens. That the child was autistic does not make him less of a threat. He's like this when he's 10. What's he going to be like when he's 20?

His mother sounds too calm for the situation.
An understatement to say the least. I wouldn't be particularly inclined to expose my inner thoughts in her presence--having to contend with "I'm the only momma he's ever had" kinda possibilities. On the other hand, I slightly reel in my suspicions of her not being the mother--in face of recognizing the vast difference in motherhood.

His mother sounds too calm for the situation.
An understatement to say the least. I wouldn't be particularly inclined to expose my inner thoughts in her presence--having to contend with "I'm the only momma he's ever had" kinda possibilities. On the other hand, I slightly reel in my suspicions of her not being the mother--in face of recognizing the vast difference in motherhood.

There's also a vast difference between raising an autistic child and raising an ordinary one. I don't think Mom getting loud and emotional would have helped in that situation. I think it would have made the boy even more distraught. It's probably a good thing Mom kept her cool.

There's also a vast difference between raising an autistic child and raising an ordinary one.

Exploiting an autistic child on film and laughing while you do it is probably easier. Easier than an ordinary one. I dunno man, she may be worn down, as I guess a Mom would be, but she is either medicated too heavily, using a calming technique, staging a well anticipated encounter ($$$) or just a bad Mom.

My ex had a kid that had been exposed to lead paint in Newburgh NY (where corpses hide in trash piles for weeks before the dogs pull out pieces of evidence). Huge trash piles. Whole town is trash. Birth To Three company said he wasn't autistic. He never spoke a word. He does now of course. I watched him grow up on the computer, which was so much easier, oh God. But yeah, back when he was in my care... his head was a magnet for harmful things. Always bruised and whatnot. Not fun. Constant terror. I had to go by the only book I knew, so when he fell, I'd not react when he hollered. Eventually he didn't cry.

Like, in whatever twisted and creepy culture that shit is from, the first thing you say to a wounded child is "you aint hurt, quit yer cryin". Not sure if that is a good thing but it does work. I don't sense this particular autistic boy's (supposed) mother is playing by that book.

She was more concerned with camera angles than that kid, for whatever reason. Her monotone comments almost sounded like orchestration. My guess she wanted to go viral and make a little cash. Hey maybe she could start a channel for the little hellion. I'd watch it just to see which grownup he assaults next. Maybe his Mom! I'd love to see that. Violent/autistic child body cam part 26 (Wal Mart) MUST SEE. Actually that is a disgusting thought but I wouldn't put it past her, huh.

Yeah I know, but I was more talking about having the police handle students in general.

In general, there is no reason for police to handle students at all.

In the case of this situation, the staff at the former school, the one where the 10 year old was lured to returning to, need significantly more and better training, not only at dealing with any student having a tantrum or melt down, but also in conflict resolution--including conflict between parents/teachers/admin, not only student/student conflict, effectively advocating for students, for teachers, for school environment.

I DO blame the police. Not their fault that they were called in but completely their fault for not adamantly insisting that it is not their handle school discipline problems or problems ensuring that disabled or autistic children comply with school staff directives.

Because it's not their job. They aren't trained for it nor should they be.

They also should have assessed the situation upon arrival. There is zero reason that child should have been cuffed or taken to jail or held over night. Zero.

That does not even begin to address the fact that the school staff needs to learn techniques and strategies for dealing with autistic children and other children who are not 'typical' (and in the case of this school, I think that must mean semi-comatose.)

Of course, no student should attack a teacher or student or staff member. No staff member or student or teacher should have to tolerate physical attacks or abuse.
I am not suggesting by any means that there should be no consequences for students (or, let's be real inclusive here and include staff and teachers) who attack others. Calling the police, luring a child months after the incident, etc. are so far beyond the pale and extremely unlikely to serve any purpose whatsoever, unless it is to serve to further intimidate students into submission--an unlikely event to promote learning or to create a safe and supportive environment for learning.

There's also a vast difference between raising an autistic child and raising an ordinary one.

Exploiting an autistic child on film and laughing while you do it is probably easier. Easier than an ordinary one. I dunno man, she may be worn down, as I guess a Mom would be, but she is either medicated too heavily, using a calming technique, staging a well anticipated encounter ($$$) or just a bad Mom.

My ex had a kid that had been exposed to lead paint in Newburgh NY (where corpses hide in trash piles for weeks before the dogs pull out pieces of evidence). Huge trash piles. Whole town is trash. Birth To Three company said he wasn't autistic. He never spoke a word. He does now of course. I watched him grow up on the computer, which was so much easier, oh God. But yeah, back when he was in my care... his head was a magnet for harmful things. Always bruised and whatnot. Not fun. Constant terror. I had to go by the only book I knew, so when he fell, I'd not react when he hollered. Eventually he didn't cry.

Like, in whatever twisted and creepy culture that shit is from, the first thing you say to a wounded child is "you aint hurt, quit yer cryin". Not sure if that is a good thing but it does work. I don't sense this particular autistic boy's (supposed) mother is playing by that book.

She was more concerned with camera angles than that kid, for whatever reason. Her monotone comments almost sounded like orchestration. My guess she wanted to go viral and make a little cash. Hey maybe she could start a channel for the little hellion. I'd watch it just to see which grownup he assaults next. Maybe his Mom! I'd love to see that. Violent/autistic child body cam part 26 (Wal Mart) MUST SEE. Actually that is a disgusting thought but I wouldn't put it past her, huh.

I am grateful that child is no longer in your care and hope that no child is ever again.

Having several teachers as close friends or family, they've either witnessed or been subject to physical attacks by students. One child about 13 stood 5'7 and was trying to kick or knee the principal in the groin.

But teachers also do not deserve to have to put up with physical attacks and abuse on the job by the children they're trying to teach.

In this case, a teacher was physically attacked by this boy and reported it and pressed charges.

This is what happens. That the child was autistic does not make him less of a threat. He's like this when he's 10. What's he going to be like when he's 20?

So those teachers were still in physical danger six months later?

I am grateful that child is no longer in your care and hope that no child is ever again.

I may have explained myself wrong. I said that he had eaten paint chips. You wouldn't understand magnet-headed children unless you had to mess with them. I taught the child sign language and to this day I cup the corner of tables out of sheer muscle memory. This isn't about me, so I'll talk about the little fucker in the video if I feel like looking at this again thx.

So those teachers were still in physical danger six months later?

Yes. He did it once, why wouldn't he do it again?

And the police were serving an arrest warrant (from oct or nov), this wasn't about a current stability issue.

I still don't understand where this arrest warrant was issued from. Who issues an arrest warrant for an autistic child who had an episode that didn't lead to an injury?

That he is autistic means that there are different mechanisms to deal with deescalating such episodes. Being autistic means there are certain risks which is why special ed teachers should have the required training to deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. He did it once, why wouldn't he do it again?

According to the article, he was no longer going to that school. So those teachers were still in physical danger six months later?

So, they moved the kid? Well, that makes his assault all better right? You ok with moving rapists and child molesters to different schools, too?

Back
Top Bottom