• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Are You Ready For The First Presidential Debate?

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
Tonight is the first debate. Trump is going to have a hard time reaching out to anybody not already part of his base. He will probably lie. A lot. Biden has been attacked as being senile. He just has to look reasonable and less damaged than Trump. Trump has to avoid going off into weirdness and his usual repulsive dog whistles or questionable nonsense. Windmills cause cancer. Trump is dragging ass in the polls. He needs to do more than his usualred meat for the MAGA hat crowd. Can he pull it off?

What is important is not the debate, but what the polls do a week afterwards.

Got an extra bottle of johnny black.. one won't be enough. The drinking word tonight is "unbelievable".

I think that Trump, if he'll show up at all, will at some point attack the moderator Chris Wallace for being biased.

I think that Trump, if he'll show up at all, will at some point attack the moderator Chris Wallace for being biased.

No, not during. He'll declare a victory immeduately after, and as the reviews pour in, he'll blame the poor showing on Wallace being biased.

If he accuses during, Wallace will br on the same stage for whatever he replies. A later accusation, Wallace will be playing catch-up.

No, not during. He'll declare a victory immeduately after, and as the reviews pour in, he'll blame the poor showing on Wallace being biased.

If he accuses during, Wallace will br on the same stage for whatever he replies. A later accusation, Wallace will be playing catch-up.
It's a given that he'll blame Wallace after the debate. Heck, he's done it already pre-emptively. But in addition I'm betting he will indeed attack him during the debate as well, to avoid answering some question or another. Just like he attacks the reporters during his press briefings.

Got an extra bottle of johnny black.. one won't be enough. The drinking word tonight is "unbelievable".

Meh - don't load up too much. Trump might walk out the first time he is called out for lying (assuming he shows up in the first place) like he did that one time (1 time) he was confronted for lying by a journalist.
Walking out is probably be the most "presidential" look he could muster, especially while standing near Joe Biden.

Jayjay said:

I can see it now :hysterical:
The base is going to love that.

Depends on whether the hamster is on the wheel ... Trump might resort to the only play he knows: if you can't win by the rules, change the rules. If you can't change the rules, break the rules. Breaking things is almost always what he ends up with.

Trump will do just fine. It won't be a total blowout and Trump will have a moment of genuine empathy that will dominate the news cycle for this debate.

Trump will do just fine. It won't be a total blowout and Trump will have a moment of genuine empathy that will dominate the news cycle for this debate.

:hysterical:
if he did, it would!

#SAD

I'm... gritting my teeth, and thinking of England.

This will be the first time I've watched the President speak at any length since he got elected, I kind of started low-key boycotting his speeches after the election, just to preserve my sanity and maintain some sort of hope for the future. Thank god it happens to be taco Tuesday, at least my friend Don Julio will be there to help soothe my nerves.

Like he showed for McCain? His brother? ANY of 200,000+ dead? Bounty-shot military?

Well, TBH, he certainly hasn't used up his empathy reserves

I never watch these things. Can't stand it. I'd either end up yelling at the TV or throwing up on it. There is nothing that could happen that could possibly change my mind.

I read about it later.

Ugh - even with a shot or two of Laphroaig this is tough to watch! It's almost a free for all.

Trump is acting the bully. He won't let Biden speak. Shouts Biden down. He lies a lot and is not very presidential.

You weren't expecting differant, were you?
I had low expectations, bar on the ground, but Trump grabbed a shovel and is digging under it!

This is the worst debate performance ever.

Biden stumbles on a few words, but he has had a few good, look at the camera moments.

I there a good running summary of it somewhere? I lasted about 30 seconds before I had to change the channel.

I never watch these things. Can't stand it. I'd either end up yelling at the TV or throwing up on it. There is nothing that could happen that could possibly change my mind.

I read about it later.
This has been particularly bad.

Back
Top Bottom