• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

At what margin of electoral defeat will Trump be forced to admit defeat?

I think some in this thread are forgetting that Trump has already put his private army into use on multiple occasions. The first instance was during the protests in DC, uniformed thugs with no identifying patches or name tags. Likely mostly drawn for DHS, but who knows for sure. Next was Portland, and I won't be surprised if we see them on the streets a few more times before November as Trump descends further into authoritarianism. What happens if Trump puts them between himself and the Secret Service is anyones guess, but I suspect it will involve violence. Which side the actual military will back is another unknown, but these violent means have violent ends.

Metaphor weasels out of the OP question entirely.

Of course once Biden is sworn in, he is sworn in. The whole point is that regardless of the electoral results, Trump will pull out every stop there is to keep any such swearing in from happening.

* The Secret Service works for Trump until and unless someone else is sworn in, so they will be of zero help.

For fuck's sake, you are already begging the question. What actions will Trump have taken to 'stop' the swearing in of a new president? Give me specifics, please.

* Trump is the Commander in Cheat of the Military, so they can't be relied on for anything.

Relied on to do what? What actions will Trump take to stop a swearing in of Biden? Please give me some clue.
* There are an unknown number of trumpanzee morons who are eager to show off the armaments they have acquired under the fraudulent pretext of PREVENTING a tyrannical government.

My question was whether any electoral result at all would ever bring about a peaceful transfer of power.
So far, nobody has been able to present any credible pathway to that result, other than pre-supposing the result.

What the fuck do you imagine the non-peaceful transfer of power to look like? What do you mean when you say the transfer of power won't be peaceful? Give me specifics, because I've literally zero clue about what it is you are imagining.

I'm serious. Zero.

Metaphor's "answer" is, as usual, non-responsive:
"You're paranoid!; After a peaceful transfer of power Trump wouldn't be able to do anything about it!"

Pretty much the same stupid avoidance exhibited by the rest of our libberpublicans.

God's nightgown, you can't even define your terms. What is an example of a non-peaceful transfer of power? What actions can Trump take that define a non-peaceful transfer of power?

You have said you cannot imagine a peaceful transfer of power. So what is it you are imagining?

I can see this thread is another in the long line of masturbatory fantasies about Trump attempting to become a dictator.

I suggest, Elixir, you ask a screenwriter to come up with the bones of a narrative for what Trump's "non-peaceful" transfer of power might entail. You clearly are incapable of imagining it or describing it. You've assumed a "peaceful transfer" is impossible but have no idea what a non-peaceful transfer looks like.

I can see this thread is another in the long line of masturbatory fantasies about Trump attempting to become a dictator.

Jack away, Meta.
Your fantasy of Trump winning a fair election or admitting defeat under any circumstance is really cute.
Please do tell us what a non-peaceful transfer of power would look like in the USA.

A loss by one electoral vote brought in by a state where the winner was determined by one vote. Full stop.

Now THAT is really funny.

Jack away, Meta.

I didn't start this thread--you did.

Your fantasy of Trump winning a fair election or admitting defeat under any circumstance is really cute.
Please do tell us what a non-peaceful transfer of power would look like in the USA.

I don't know what it looks like. I've been asking you that question in several posts.

What do you think Trump will do that will make the transfer of power to Biden non-peaceful? It's election night in November and Biden has won 298 electoral college votes. What does Trump do?

I'm nervous about the transfer of power myself, but I'm so far, not overly concerned about Trump overstaying his voted-in welcome. I just don't think he has the support to possibly continue on once the election is over. When everyone else walks away, what is he supposed to do? Plus, he's also a coward. If two federal marshals step forward asking him to abdicate then his fat ass will RUN out of the Oval Office.

The worry is his supporters. They're often violent and bent. Trump will encourage bad behavior by citing how he's been cheated of course, and these people already have a track record of shootings, mailing bombs, and certainly threatening others. Then there's Q-Anon, which he just encouraged the other day to become more politically involved instead of just worrying about alien lizard people and Hollywood pedophile rings.

We are not likely to know on election night who won given the expected large number of mail-in ballots. My guess is that all Trump can really do is sue, but the bigger issue may be what some of those Trump-supporting Republican governors and/or attorneys general will do to muddy the waters of vote tabulation.

Every Republican will have to decide if they want to go down with Trump's ship.

If Trump loses and mobilizes the crazy part of his base to violence, that probably finish off the current GOP if they do not quickly disavow the violence and repudiate Trump's lies about the election. Whether it can recover from such a blow would remain to be seen.

There could be a large mess of lawsuits, not all started by Trump or his administration, but by outside groups. Why? To cast doubt and question the legitimacy of Biden's election. To give the usual GOP obstructionists a reason to claim it is legitimate to continue with this obstructionism. To force Biden and company to waste time with the legal issues rather than do more important things.

If Trump loses and mobilizes the crazy part of his base to violence, that probably finish off the current GOP if they do not quickly disavow the violence and repudiate Trump's lies about the election. Whether it can recover from such a blow would remain to be seen.

Unless their coup is successful.

Well, he’d be facing the New York AG, right? I’m guessing they are going to be ready to hit the ground running just as soon as this shameful
chapter has concluded.
I don’t think the number of electoral votes are going to matter one iota. A loss is a loss for Trump and it’s panic time. So he will do whatever that sense of panic drives him to do. Muster the forces of intolerance and ignorance? You bet. The courts? Meh. That will come to a swift conclusion so if there is nothing there, why bother if he can’t buy time in the courts. He might try and sell a peaceful transfer in exchange for living out his remaining days in peace.
I just hope he shits himself before he dies. That’s how I want him to spend his final moments, alone and lying in shit.

A massive landslide is only possible by cheating.
A close victory is only possible by cheating.

He lost by 2 million or so popular votes and he has already said that was cheating!

WTF actually counts the votes, the Trumps staff, or the returning state electoral officers? Isn't it the latter? If so, how is it possible to cheat? Bussing voters to polling booths, or if by mail, substituting a million votes by substituting millions or so bogus mail in votes?

He might try and sell a peaceful transfer in exchange for living out his remaining days in peace.

That has occurred to me as the most benign all-around possibility, but with whom could he make such a "deal"?
No individual is authorized to acquit a traitor in exchange for allowing him to self-exile, AFAIK.

I just hope he shits himself before he dies

Seems like he's shitting himself right now.

Right.

You're so cute when you're being optimistic. ;)

It isn't a coup. Those drop boxes could have been tampered with. The person guarding them once donated $15 to Mondale's election campaign in 1984 and the Post Office has become notoriously slow over the last few months due to Obama's meddling. Did we mention Obama spied on my campaign?

So for the benefit of maintaining our Democracy, we should just let the House decide.

So I'm wondering if anyone here thinks there is any possibility of a peaceful transfer of power in January, and if so, what factors would lead to that outcome.

I'm sorry, but is this a joke?

Let's say Trump loses the election. What is it, exactly, that you imagine he will do? Carry on and bluster that he was robbed? Sure. Do you think he will be let into the White House after Biden is sworn in? No, he won't.

Do you think Trump is going to raise a private army? This kind of delusionista fearmongering makes me sad about the absolute lack of faith some Americans seem to have in their own institutions.

You are very ignorant of the amount of "private militia" that support Trump. He can place a very large thumb on the scales, so to speak. Also, for some reason, militaries are big on the "respect the chain of command" mentality. Trump doesn't need supporters - he's got them. What he needs is enough prominent legislators/military commanders/public figures to sit on the fence and the incumbent gets the benefit of the doubt by default.

Yes, but the second the incumbent is technically no longer in charge, their support for him vanishes no matter how loud he cries foul. They will politely shuffle him away and point him in the direction of the clerk's office to file his legal complaint.

Ya. "WHATABOUT ANTIFA IN CHICAGO?!?!?". See, that was easy.

Ya. "WHATABOUT ANTIFA IN CHICAGO?!?!?". See, that was easy.

Yeah, whatabout ALL those urban wastelands that weren't urban wastelands until Trump became President?

You must play Powerball - it has better odds than your conjecture.

Back
Top Bottom