• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Banning groups with confederate affiliations

Jason Harvestdancer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Wiccan
Since we are cleansing our history of statues and et cetera that have ties to the old south, the confederacy, and slavery, it seems time to do something about groups that have that connection.

GOP Rep Introduced Bill to Ban Democratic Party for Past Support of Slavery

On Thursday, Republican Texas Representative Louie Gohmert introduced a House resolution that would ban the Democratic Party and any other groups that have historically supported the Confederacy or slavery in the United States.

"Since people are demanding we rid ourselves of the entities, symbols, and reminders of the repugnant aspects of our past, then the time has come for Democrats to acknowledge their party's loathsome and bigoted past, and consider changing their party name to something that isn't so blatantly and offensively tied to slavery, Jim Crow, discrimination, and the Ku Klux Klan," Gohmert said in a statement.

Some people say there was some mythical big switch that took place sometime around the 1960s. I don't see it. After all, have to get behind someone in order to stab them in the back.

Louie Gohmert is a fucking dumb cunt. I live on the other side of the planet and even I have heard of War Democrats during the civil war. That you are ignorant of the Southern Strategy is also unsurprising.

So, if the Confederacy and the Klan is OUR history, why do Republicans keep shouting about 'my heritage' when we try to take it down?

But aside from that, how much history resides in a statue? Not a singke class i ever took assigned a statue as homework.
There were books. Some of them had pictures of statues. But also pictures of people. Or their portraits. Descriptive texts. Which were on the homework....

Instead of changing their party label (which is the important thing to right wing authoritarian morons), Dems changed their principles, values, and substance of their platform to something much more humane, inclusive, and focused on equality under the law.

Everything morphs and changes, ideologies and minds alike. But if your world view is rooted in tribalism, it's not surprising that you'd question why others don't worship their tribal label instead of developing their own conscience and principles and then supporting the party that best reflects those views.

Also it's hilarious that that particular criticism is coming from a member of a party that is blatantly, openly racist right now, as opposed to 80 years ago.

Louie Gohmert is a fucking dumb cunt. I live on the other side of the planet and even I have heard of War Democrats during the civil war. That you are ignorant of the Southern Strategy is also unsurprising.

I've heard of it, I just don't buy it.

Instead of changing their party label (which is the important thing to right wing authoritarian morons), Dems changed their principles, values, and substance of their platform to something much more humane, inclusive, and focused on equality under the law.

I have seen no evidence of that.

Now that we're all done with the "oh but they switched" nonsense, can we focus on the story?

Now that we're all done with the "oh but they switched" nonsense, can we focus on the story?

I did:
Also it's hilarious that that particular criticism is coming from a member of a party that is blatantly, openly racist right now, as opposed to 80 years ago.

Since we are cleansing our history

We aren't cleansing our history, we are acknowledging it.

The real history, not those sanitized, cherry picked fairy tales like the one about Christopher Columbus being a great explorer who was the first person to discover America.

We are examining the words and deeds of people like Columbus, Thomas Jefferson, and Robert E. Lee. We are learning why monuments were erected and why public space was given over to them. We are asking ourselves "Are these the people we want to honor with these public displays, or are there others who better exemplify the values we claim to uphold and the future to which we aspire?"

of statues and et cetera that have ties to the old south, the confederacy, and slavery, it seems time to do something about groups that have that connection.

On Thursday, Republican Texas Representative Louie Gohmert introduced a House resolution that would ban the Democratic Party and any other groups that have historically supported the Confederacy or slavery in the United States.

"Since people are demanding we rid ourselves of the entities, symbols, and reminders of the repugnant aspects of our past, then the time has come for Democrats to acknowledge their party's loathsome and bigoted past, and consider changing their party name to something that isn't so blatantly and offensively tied to slavery, Jim Crow, discrimination, and the Ku Klux Klan," Gohmert said in a statement.

The headline doesn't match the text.

Cough cough: my mother’s step father was a member of the Klan AND a Republican-just like all the other racists in my family. He just took it a few steps further...

Today on Libertarian history, we’ll learn how removing statues that herald Confederate Generals acts of treason against the US, that were erected in the 1950s as a response to the Civil Rights movement in order to remind the blackies where they stood... is erasing history.

I did:

No, you didn't.

The headline doesn't match the text.

Yes it does.

Today on Libertarian history, we’ll learn how removing statues that herald Confederate Generals acts of treason against the US, that were erected in the 1950s as a response to the Civil Rights movement in order to remind the blackies where they stood... is erasing history.

I'm not saying his motives are good, but he does make a point about how if we are going to be consistent, we should restrict pro-slavery groups as much as removing statues of pro-slavery individuals. The Democratic Party does have a particular history.

Of course you have pointed out more than once you know my motives better than I do, I guess you think you are psychic.

Did General Lee change his whole view of the war and repudiate the inhumane reasons for it? Is that what Gohmert is trying to claim?
Did the battle flag of northern virginia start to be used to support equal rights for Black Americans? Is that what he means?

Otherwise, he ain’t making sense.

Gohmert said:
"Since people are demanding we rid ourselves of the entities, symbols, and reminders of the repugnant aspects of our past, then the time has come for Democrats to acknowledge their party's loathsome and bigoted past, and consider changing their party

Pssst - already done!

Fortunately, reality is not dependent of what you think, or have seen.

I'm okay with changing the name of the Democratic Party to something more modern, like the Democracy Party, if Libertarians are willing to explore their party's roots by changing its name to Luke's Mom's Basement Party.

So, let's get back on topic. Or, for most people in this thread, to start being on topic.

Whatever this particular person's motives, he still introduced the bill. It would bar the participation of any group that had ties to slavery. I think it is a magnificent troll, and modern politics is nothing but the two sides trolling each other. Dialogue fell by the wayside a long time ago, and this thread is one piece of evidence.

The question is, how might this turn out?

So, let's get back on topic. Or, for most people in this thread, to start being on topic.

Whatever this particular person's motives, he still introduced the bill. It would bar the participation of any group that had ties to slavery. I think it is a magnificent troll, and modern politics is nothing but the two sides trolling each other. Dialogue fell by the wayside a long time ago, and this thread is one piece of evidence.

The question is, how might this turn out?

I suspect libertarians, so butt-hurt about being correctly dismissed as irrelevant are going to try and hijack the discussion about confederate statues into a petty argument over semantics. Then they are going to do some good old fashioned trolling of their own using the golden oldie "both sides are as bad" bullshit.

I've heard of this "both sides" crap, I don't buy it. Jesus Christ libertarians are the Arnold Rimmers of politics.

Since we are cleansing our history of statues and et cetera that have ties to the old south, the confederacy, and slavery, it seems time to do something about groups that have that connection.

Some people say there was some mythical big switch that took place sometime around the 1960s. I don't see it. After all, have to get behind someone in order to stab them in the back.

Can we include Nixon and the Republicans who adopted the " Southern strategy"?

In American politics, the Southern strategy was a Republican Party electoral strategy to increase political support among white voters in the South by appealing to racism against African Americans.[1][2][3] As the civil rights movement and dismantling of Jim Crow laws in the 1950s and 1960s visibly deepened existing racial tensions in much of the Southern United States, Republican politicians such as presidential candidate Richard Nixon and Senator Barry Goldwater developed strategies that successfully contributed to the political realignment of many white, conservative voters in the South who had traditionally supported the Democratic Party rather than the Republican Party. It also helped to push the Republican Party much more to the right.

Can we include Nixon and the Republicans who adopted the " Southern strategy"?

In American politics, the Southern strategy was a Republican Party electoral strategy to increase political support among white voters in the South by appealing to racism against African Americans.[1][2][3] As the civil rights movement and dismantling of Jim Crow laws in the 1950s and 1960s visibly deepened existing racial tensions in much of the Southern United States, Republican politicians such as presidential candidate Richard Nixon and Senator Barry Goldwater developed strategies that successfully contributed to the political realignment of many white, conservative voters in the South who had traditionally supported the Democratic Party rather than the Republican Party. It also helped to push the Republican Party much more to the right.

Apparently the Southern Strategy is a myth. The guy who proclaims to be in support of dialogue summarily dismissed it out of hand. Which naturally is how good faith arguments work.

Since we are cleansing our history of statues ...

Deserves a prize for the stupidest opening line of an OP... probably EVER.

We are not "cleansing our history".
Reasonable people who advocate removing statues of traitors from public and government places are in favor of putting them in museums, where they can serve as apt historical reminders of Southern greed and cruelty.
Libberpublicans and their extreme right wing brethren want to honor and cherish the good old days when a person could run their cotton plantations on the backs of slaves, without fear of interference from "Northern Aggression". They want to continue to salute the traitors who seceded and went to war against the United States of America to preserve that status quo. The history that THEY wish to cleanse from the record, is the suffering and death conferred upon millions upon millions of people to serve their greed.

They should show their true colors and advocate for statues of Hitler, Hirohito and other "Great Generals" who went to war against America as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom